While athletic departments across the country lay off employees, UConn has largely avoided any layoffs. There's a reason why... (Borges) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

While athletic departments across the country lay off employees, UConn has largely avoided any layoffs. There's a reason why... (Borges)

Reaction Score
So how much should she make in retirement? For a teacher, what would you say is a fair amount for her to retire on?
The tone of your questions seem to imply you believe the teacher in question is not receiving retirement benefits out of the ordinary compared to the average worker. What do you think the average worker in a comparable job receives in retirement pay and benefits?

It's a hard question to answer because of so many variables.

How many people have full-time jobs that only require them to work about 9 months of the year with summers off and several weeks off during the school year?

How much is the job security enjoyed by teachers worth? How many teachers will ever face the white collar job losses being implemented by United Technologies in East Hartford and Middletown this week?

How many people will receive 80% of their highest salary in retirement pay after 40 years?

Is the teacher also eligible to receive Social Security Retirement Retirement Income?

Will the teacher also receive lifetime health insurance, dental insurance and other benefits as part of the overall retirement benefit?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Parting thought on the pension rabbit hole that grows bigger and deeper and more intractable everyday and that is to recognize that we live in a world with finite resources. And so basically over the past 20 years we have decided to take our tax funds and continue to pay overly generous benefits for past work rather than keep the current head count up to do the current job because state labor is a powerful reliable voting bloc. Sure we can talk all about the other problems, but much of our state's fiscal and service problems boil down to the decision to allocate resources to generous retirement obligations and while using job freezes to reduce present needs of today. A Puerto Rico style default is not out of the question in the long haul if action isn't taken to fix this imbalance soon.

Okay back to football.

Reaction Score
A huge problem with the pension was the state not paying its portion. The employees have paid their share. Jody Rell bragged about amassing a rainy day fund while not making the contributions to the PF. The state has also borrowed from it and not paid the money back. Malloy at least tried to address the money owed to it.

Reaction Score
Malloy hamstrung our state with his 2017 "concessions" deal with unionized state employees. Union leadership negotiated no layoffs until FY 21-22 in exchange for their "give backs". That's why Benedict couldn't touch anyone in AD department. Real question. What were CT DMV employees doing between March and June (besides collecting paychecks). So ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Had a medical set back....didn't have enough energy to think and post cogently....

By the by...Bobby Bowden spent 9 days in the hospital with Covid...and beat it. That 91 year old man is a tough old goat...
I’m glad you are recovering. We have never really been accustomed to cogent commentary from you anyway so don’t hold back.

Seriously though, I wish for you better health.

Reaction Score
Thanks Zissou...didn't seem to miss much here...no UConn football games to discuss and basketball was a few months in the future.

Been following my beloved football and women's soccer...(FSU's women are 4-0 and have not allowed a goal...#1 defense)...FSU men's football has a long way to go but showed some life against #5 Notre Dame...This should be a downish year for FSU basketball since the team lost two lottery picks from last year's team.

I am doing well....my 74 year old heart finally gave me a problem...gym was closed and I had an attack while excersizing at home....

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thanks Zissou...didn't seem to miss much here...no UConn football games to discuss and basketball was a few months in the future.

Been following football and women's soccer...(FSU's women are 4-0 and have not allowed a goal...#1 defense)...men's football has a long way to go but showed some life against #5 Notre Dame...This should be a downish year for FSU basketball since the team lost two lottery picks from last year's team.
Feel better weirdo on a ridge in western Carolina who hangs on a UConn board to dispense FSU updates to an indifferent audience. No really, get well.

Reaction Score
Like many folks, my retirement is a three legged stool...pension, 401k (and 403B) and social security....some legs are shorter than the other....

Stocks go up and down and you ride the average (hopefully gain) over time...but it is tough watching assets bleed in down turns.

Pensions are immune from downturns but often are not protected against inflation....you need 53% more money in 2020 to equal the CPI in 2000.

Reaction Score

Depends on job. Talking professional band and management. Not janitors and blue collar staff. In IT, their salaries are lower but total comp could be better because of the benefits. If you went 401k, big detractor as a recruiting tool.

Reaction Score
401k's are trash retirement savings. My retirement shouldn't be dependent on how rich people do in the stock market. Anyone against pensions doesn't care about anyone but themselves.

Reaction Score
Anyone against pensions doesn't care about anyone but themselves.
]This statement can easily be flipped around. Anyone who thinks they should continue to receive full pay from the state or town after they retire regardless of the inevitable crushing tax burden it will create for the state's taxpayers, doesn't care about anybody but themselves.

State employees should receive the same pension non state employees receive, it's called social security.

If you know anything about basic math you will be able to easily figure out the current pension system will fail at some point, its unavoidable. At least with social security the federal government can deficit spend so that will last longer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
401k's are trash retirement savings. My retirement shouldn't be dependent on how rich people do in the stock market. Anyone against pensions doesn't care about anyone but themselves.

If you have a lot of money in your 401k, which you will if you contribute to it and get compounded results over decades, you're the rich person in this conversation.

Further, depending on your company's program, you can pick where to invest. The broadest possible fund or full market index is usually the way to go, which doesn't really rely on any rich people to invest for you, just betting on the US economy.

Reaction Score
If you have a lot of money in your 401k, which you will if you contribute to it and get compounded results over decades, you're the rich person in this conversation.

Further, depending on your company's program, you can pick where to invest. The broadest possible fund or full market index is usually the way to go, which doesn't really rely on any rich people to invest for you, just betting on the US economy.
So true. I expect at least 10% compounded returns from retirement accounts. I pay into a pension that gives 0% interest. Have to. Also have to pay union dues. For what? I have my wife’s insurance benefits. They are good but monthly payments are comparable to private sector. Not free. The small pension I will receive will reduce the social security I will receive. I will not be able to live comfortably on pension and social security. Thank goodness for saving and responsible investing.

Reaction Score
Have you not followed the Kevin Ollie saga?
Not really after the first couple months, then people randomly updated with stories like when he tried to play the race card and all that.

The discussions here surrounding it became a tedious waste of bandwidth real fast

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
No offense but most if not all of our state employees should be happy they even have a 401 k plan. Pensions were originally designed so low paying jobs like teachers in the 70 s got some income when they retired. A close friend of mines wife starting teaching in late 79. She told me she made 13 thousand a year. Within 4 years she was making over 40 thousand. She now makes 98 thousand a e year and is retiring this year. When she retires she will make over 80 thousand a year plus yearly increases. This is one of the reasons Connecticut is broke and in horrible trouble. The unions need to go now even if the state has to go bankrupt.
If she was doing this in the private sector you’d be cheering her. She worked at a job for 40 years and I’d assume has one, but most likely two MAs given that salary. She contributed to the teacher retirement fund for 40 years. Teachers do not receive social security. Good luck recruiting/retaining teachers without the protection of a union. I assume you’d probably like to privatize education and have children attend Chuck E. Cheese Elementary School. Who exactly pays for that? What do you care, you’re in your 60s and done with children! Screw em!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not really after the first couple months, then people randomly updated with stories like when he tried to play the race card and all that.

The discussions here surrounding it became a tedious waste of bandwidth real fast
A key element in the case is his membership in the professor union.

Reaction Score
If she was doing this in the private sector you’d be cheering her. She worked at a job for 40 years and I’d assume has one, but most likely two MAs given that salary. She contributed to the teacher retirement fund for 40 years. Teachers do not receive social security. Good luck recruiting/retaining teachers without the protection of a union. I assume you’d probably like to privatize education and have children attend Chuck E. Cheese Elementary School. Who exactly pays for that? What do you care, you’re in your 60s and done with children! Screw em!
Teachers and janitors make too much? God forbid they have a degree of security in their life.

Teachers are either important or not. The state job is either important and necessary or not. If it is necessary, pay the people. Americans have taken it on the chin with regard to 401ks and health care for the last 20 years.

Pensions keep people in jobs and allow them security late in life. That allows them to leave the workforce and not have to work until death.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Teachers and janitors make too much? God forbid they have a degree of security in their life.

Teachers are either important or not. The state job is either important and necessary or not. If it is necessary, pay the people. Americans have taken it on the chin with regard to 401ks and health care for the last 20 years.

Pensions keep people in jobs and allow them security late in life. That allows them to leave the workforce and not have to work until death.
I’m with ya on this one big time.

Reaction Score
A huge problem with the pension was the state not paying its portion. The employees have paid their share. Jody Rell bragged about amassing a rainy day fund while not making the contributions to the PF. The state has also borrowed from it and not paid the money back. Malloy at least tried to address the money owed to it.
Legacy employees are contributing on the order of 7% of pay, not nearly enough to reduce the huge liability at 80% of highest pay (which includes OT for public safety) for 20+ years of retirement. A 100k employee will net 80K a year which is $1.6 Million over 20 years, before healthcare benefits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom