Which Will Become the Better Pro? KLS? Or Pheesa? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Which Will Become the Better Pro? KLS? Or Pheesa?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Perhaps neither one will have a career worth fencing over. I doubt if the pros will be running as many plays for Lou as Geno does. I have my doubts about Lou's durability in the physical WNBA and foreign leagues. When the play gets rough Lou does not score much. Napheesa is small for a post in the WNBA. Her shot gets blocked because of the way she shoots it. Watch how a shorter male basketball player shoots in the midst of the trees. Imitate it. Both will need to increase their strength beyond what they did at UCONN. Lou would do well to watch a lot of DeWanna Bonner tape. The girl is a rail but gets it done. She has lots of moves Lou could adopt for herself. Her feistiness is also a positive in a physical league. Napheesa would do well to watch tape of Moore (6') operate under the basket. However, I think Phee's best role model for her game might be Tamika Catching' (6'2") game. Study her game in the pros.

Reaction Score
While we’re on the topic of delusional. You realize the last player at UConn to average a double-double was Lobo right?? You make it sound easy.

Collier will be taken because of her versatility, it’s constantly stated. She is not Maya Moore, I agree but to say she is limited is just false.
A lot easier playing 16 games in the AAC. When comparing players all things must be considered.

Reaction Score
A lot easier playing 16 games in the AAC. When comparing players all things must be considered.
Not sure why the negativity when some comment on potential areas of growth for Pheesa. Unlike M Moore, she is not a great jump/3 point shooter. Would this help her in pros-sure. Is there room for improvement-yes. Is she good enough now to be a high #1 choice-yes. Do all UConn fans love her-absolutely!

Reaction Score
We might be over-looking the fact that neither will be asked to be a Star right away unless drafted to a team like Indiana, where I think both would immediately be their best player. They don’t need the ball in their hands constantly to put up great numbers unlike other players in this draft.

Both can be all-stars if chosen in the right spot/system. They’ve proven they can play with other WNBA players and still be feature players. Even here on the BY, no one can decide who the “go-to” player is. Both have proven at some point they can be great #2s or #1s. I expect no different in the W.

Reaction Score
Just like anything else it depends on what team they are on. If I were to guess it will be KLS if she can stay healthy. Her game is more pro ready than Collier. Collier is more of a tweener but she would be awesome on the Mystics because of the two stretch 4s they have (and a pretty good PG). Seattle would be a good fit for Collier as well. .

Good answer, Also depends upon the kind of game they're asked to play. If Lou is seen as a pure shooter, she may be of less value than if her all-around game can be exploited. Another K, KML, proved to be of limited utility because her game is/was limited. 'Pheesa is already an all-around player, though I doubt she will ever be successful as a shooter from the outside. There's also the question of Lou's health. She may never be able to bang consistently against big women. Frankly, I don't have any idea who will prosper in the long run, but I wish them both well.

Reaction Score
I believe that KLS will be an All-Star. Her shooting will keep her on the court every point in the game. Her height will be valued. And she can do it all.

She will never be taken out for a defensive player, or someone who can take the ball to the basket, because she can do that, too.

I predict she'll be a star!

Reaction Score
I believe that KLS will be an All-Star. Her shooting will keep her on the court every point in the game. Her height will be valued. And she can do it all.

She will never be taken out for a defensive player, or someone who can take the ball to the basket, because she can do that, too.

I predict she'll be a star!
I too think KLS can be an all-star. The only thing I’m worried about is durability. She also struggles to defend quicker guards but she can be hidden on defense. I would take Lou #1 to Vegas, as I think she fits their team needs the most (shooting). A’Ja, Plum, McBride & Lou would be deadly!

Reaction Score
Everybody loves Lou, but because of her athleticism she often struggles to get her own shot against college players. How might she do against the pros?
She gets more attention and double teams too which opens up the floor. I think some of the comments about Pheesa are not accurate because she doesn't compare in a specific area to the best. Lou has created her own shot but she is not the best at it. She moves great without the ball and I think, and not a slight on her team members passing abilities outside Crystal, do not get her the ball quickly enough or at all when cutting or posting. That said, playing team ball is getting open shots not ISO ball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I too think KLS can be an all-star. The only thing I’m worried about is durability. She also struggles to defend quicker guards but she can be hidden on defense. I would take Lou #1 to Vegas, as I think she fits their team needs the most (shooting). A’Ja, Plum, McBride & Lou would be deadly!
She gets more attention and double teams too which opens up the floor. I think some of the comments about Pheesa are not accurate because she doesn't compare in a specific area to the best. Lou has created her own shot but she is not the best at it. She moves great without the ball and I think, and not a slight on her team members passing ability outside Crystal, do not get her the ball quickly enough or at all when cutting or posting. That said, playing team ball is getting open shots not ISO ball.
A good point about how much KLS gets doubled now which will not happen at the next level except at the end of close games when a 3 is needed. Again though, it depends on the view of the coach as to how he or she values all the things she can bring. That will determine how much she can develop as a pro player. Then there's how she will be viewed by the veteran players which will also have an effect on her pro career.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
We're lucky to have a team where this is debatable. Each player has her pro-ready points.

Lou is a great shooter with the size to succeed in the W. She's improved immensely in the last couple of years in areas necessary to succeed at the next level -- rebounding, playing with her back to the basket. I think her quickness and defense may be suspect in the W.

Napheesa may be undersized, but she has great footwork, and she's so strong and athletic that I think she can play the 3 or 4 in the W. Don't forget that she came to UConn as a wing. Her freshman year she played wing quite a bit with Stewie and Tuck on the team. And she shot 43% from downtown her sophomore year. I have no doubt that she can regain the 3-point touch. But I still think she can play the 4 in the pros.

Both play with an incredible desire, something that can't be taught.

So I'm with the many others who have said that a lot depends on the fit for both players. I would love to see Collier play with Aja and Moriah in Vegas. Or with Stewie et al. in Seattle. Can you imagine being an opponent and breathing a (very brief) sigh of relief if Natasha Howard gets a couple of quick fouls just to have Pheesa come in?

Reaction Score
A good point about how much KLS gets doubled now which will not happen at the next level except at the end of close games when a 3 is needed. Again though, it depends on the view of the coach as to how he or she values all the things she can bring. That will determine how much she can develop as a pro player. Then there's how she will be viewed by the veteran players which will also have an effect on her pro career.
Time will tell. When I think of how well she fit in her freshman year playing along the big 3, I think her overall game will blend in with most. Her passing is excellent and her ball handling is very good for a 6'3" player. I think those are two areas that Pheesa struggles with, you can see in the last game when she is running the break she does not have a great handle nor know how to distribute. Her assists come out of the half court.

What Lou lacks is Pheesa's ability to leverage her length and motor on defense/rebounding. I am amazed at her ability to out rebound against taller players, and when she blocks she almost never has to jump. Pheesa's turnaround mid-range jump shot will also serve her well at the next level.

They both have the ability to grow in their pro game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I appreciate your take on Collier.......BUT, I remind you that Maya Moore is only 6'0". She has ALWAYS been able to do just about anything she wants to consistently and at a very high level. Her height has NEVER prevented her from doing anything she wants to. I don't suspect Pheesa's will either. I rest my case. ;)
Maya is a significantly BETTER shooter than Pheesa will ever be. Maya is on the Mount Rushmore not only of UConn WCBB but all of WCBB. Pheesa is an "Honorable Mention" of UConn Rushmore notables. To compare Maya as a Wing to Pheesa as a front court/small forward is apples to oranges.

Reaction Score
Lou has a history of injury problems. The WNBA is much more physical. I wish them both well, but I would say Napheesa will have the better career.

Reaction Score
Lou has a history of injury problems. The WNBA is much more physical. I wish them both well, but I would say Napheesa will have the better career.
For having a history of injury she actually has played in most of her games... I might be mistaken but wasn't it the same injured foot that was not treated right? This last injury anyone would suffer when someone dives into your back.

Reaction Score
Pheesa probably can't play her college game in pros so her success will be determined by coach and teammates. The talent and desire is there. So is the athletic ability. Lou's ability to shoot from downtown and length on defense will give her an edge but it is her ability to pass that will make her a great pro. What might have neen this season yells us boyh Pheesa and Lou's pro hame. Just give Lou a big post to pass to. Had Stevens stayed UConn would have cruised to national title with Lou making the perfect quick pass to her under the basket. And when teams tried to stop that, she'd hit the three. And Collier would have been free to dominate 8 feet out.

Reaction Score
Who said she didn't have a handle and needed other people to help her score.;)

Reaction Score
Have y’all been watching this year? It’s easy to tell who will be the better pro.

Reaction Score
Have y’all been watching this year? It’s easy to tell who will be the better pro.
Pro ball is different. Going inside is tough. Pheesa may have to change her game. Lou continues to evolve. As a WNBA coach, I'd love to have either.

Reaction Score
Pro ball is different. Going inside is tough. Pheesa may have to change her game. Lou continues to evolve. As a WNBA coach, I'd love to have either.
Maya Moore & Nneka Ogwumike are the athletes that Napheesa’s game kind of has similarities. I think Maya is 6’1 and Nneka is 6’2. While Napheesa can’t shoot as well Maya or have the same caliber of athleticism that Nneka has. I think she will be fine with the physicality. Lou is the one that wouldn’t be able to handle the physicality imo. Imo Napheesa is the pro ready player in the entire draft pool.

Reaction Score
Were you watching last year? Lou was a finalist for best player in the country while playing hurt. Lou is having an off year shooting but has improved in every other area of her game. Don't forget Lou dropped 40 on a better USF team 2 years ago. Geno was saying the same exact things about Lou last year trying to prompt her for POY. Remember, she also led the NATION in 3-pt shooting. Lou is a better passer, shooter and has a better handle. Both have great motor and pretty even with steals. Pheesa has better game in the paint, rebounder, shot blocker (although she rarely jumps and will not be blocking the same at the next level) and one of the best mid-range turn around shoots I have seen.

I respect anyone's decision as who may be the better player but acting like one is way better is just not accurate.

Reaction Score
Were you watching last year? Lou was a finalist for best player in the country while playing hurt. Lou is having an off year shooting but has improved in every other area of her game. Don't forget Lou dropped 40 on a better USF team 2 years ago. Geno was saying the same exact things about Lou last year trying to prompt her for POY. Remember, she also led the NATION in 3-pt shooting. Lou is a better passer, shooter and has a better handle. Both have great motor and pretty even with steals. Pheesa has better game in the paint, rebounder, shot blocker (although she rarely jumps and will not be blocking the same at the next level) and one of the best mid-range turn around shoots I have seen.

I respect anyone's decision as who may be the better player but acting like one is way better is just not accurate.
THIS year that hasn’t been the case, I’m sorry, I just don’t see it. And always hurt doesn’t translate well if you want to be any type of pro athlete; that’s just life. I’m not basing anything that I see off shooting numbers although I do think they will have to be better in the league because that’s all I see her being in the W is a shooter.
...But yea she’s still been pretty good for college, but I just don’t see it happening in the pros.

Reaction Score
THIS year that hasn’t been the case, I’m sorry, I just don’t see it. And always hurt doesn’t translate well if you want to be any type of pro athlete; that’s just life. I’m not basing anything that I see off shooting numbers although I do think they will have to be better in the league because that’s all I see her being in the W is a shooter.
...But yea she’s still been pretty good for college, but I just don’t see it happening in the pros.

Your entitled to your opinion. The way some fans talk here is just funny. She is pretty good for college? Could end up a 3 time All-American. Was POY 2x in conference same as Pheesa, and Pheesa only passed her in career points because someone jumped into her back while she was diving on the floor playing hard a few game ago. At 6' 3" she was one of 2 players last year in top 50 over 6 foot (she was close to top 10) in assist turnover ratio. This year she is the only UConn player in top 50 and only one of two players taller than 6' 1", most are under 6 feet tall. She is our back up point guard, guard and can play either forward position. 2nd in rebounding, etc... Again its all good, I guess you have high standards when a top 5 Uconn scorer with 2000 points is pretty good. Do yourself a favor and watch last years LV game highlights and see the diversity she has in her game when other players can get her the ball right on time.... Not making excuses for this year though.

Reaction Score
Pheesa. WNBA is rough, KLS is fragile, sad but true.
Lou's broken bone in NCAA semi as freshman was freak thing. Her ankle was surgically repaired and we have seen no obvious issues with it this year. Her current injury was not the result of her being fragile, but rather an all out hustle play diving for a loose ball and getting slammed in the back by a knee or hip (either way a strong boney part of the opponent)...so NOT a fragile issue. She has played through a lot of physical play including an eye nearly swollen shut, played with flu, etc. Let's not over state the "fragile " label. :confused:

Reaction Score
Your entitled to your opinion. The way some fans talk here is just funny. She is pretty good for college? Could end up a 3 time All-American. Was POY 2x in conference same as Pheesa, and Pheesa only passed her in career points because someone jumped into her back while she was diving on the floor playing hard a few game ago. At 6' 3" she was one of 2 players last year in top 50 over 6 foot (she was close to top 10) in assist turnover ratio. This year she is the only UConn player in top 50 and only one of two players taller than 6' 1", most are under 6 feet tall. She is our back up point guard, guard and can play either forward position. 2nd in rebounding, etc... Again its all good, I guess you have high standards when a top 5 Uconn scorer with 2000 points is pretty good. Do yourself a favor and watch last years LV game highlights and see the diversity she has in her game when other players can get her the ball right on time.... Not making excuses for this year though.

I sometimes think you all try to overhype Lou because she’s a fan favorite. In tough games, IMO, she fades. She’s had big games against top teams when hasn’t had to do the heavy lifting. The one game I can remember when Lou played really well in a top game is the game against Maryland when she had the flu. In other games, where she’s had to really play and the team is having to gut out a win, she doesn’t show up. Like other people have mentioned, she’s fragile. The game against Louisville last year had Kia, Gabby, and Pheesa in it now it’s just Pheesa and did you see the game against Louisville this year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom