Which Will Become the Better Pro? KLS? Or Pheesa? | The Boneyard

Which Will Become the Better Pro? KLS? Or Pheesa?

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that KLS will prove the better pro. She's taller, she can shoot the three, and she's tall enough and strong enough to work under the basket. I've been surprised by how often Pheesa is blocked when attempting to shoot in the lane. And that's while playing in the AAC. If memory serves, she's only 6'1" (KLS is 6'3"), which will make it tough to operate in the lane in the WNBA.

KLS, on the other hand, can play inside and outside.

There often seems to be a big divide between college success and pro success. Though I am 11-% rooting for both to be big stars, I would be willing to guess that KLS will make the bigger impression.

Other viewpoints?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that KLS will prove the better pro. She's taller, she can shoot the three, and she's tall enough and strong enough to work under the basket. I've been surprised by how often Pheesa is blocked when attempting to shoot in the lane. And that's while playing in the AAC. If memory serves, she's only 6'1" (KLS is 6'3"), which will make it tough to operate in the lane in the WNBA.

There often seems to be a big divide between college success and pro success. Though I am 11-% rooting for both to be big stars, I would be willing to guess that KLS will make the bigger impression.

Other viewpoints?
I hope you meant to say 110%:D, not 11-%.:eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just like anything else it depends on what team they are on. If I were to guess it will be KLS if she can stay healthy. Her game is more pro ready than Collier. Collier is more of a tweener but she would be awesome on the Mystics because of the two stretch 4s they have (and a pretty good PG). Seattle would be a good fit for Collier as well. .

Reaction Score

Other viewpoints?
I'm going to hate myself in the morning but---AS you pointed out KLS is suited size and 3 ball. Caveat: Assuming KLS stays VERY healthy. There is no one in the NCAA that has better hands, is more accurate, is quicker to the ball defensively; the limiting factor is she is undersize for post, no experience (in college) as a PG, Shooting guard/wing?? Maybe. As Bama said about Arike--(paraphrasing) I fear Supreme repercussion by saying negative anything about Pheesa she is just wonderful

Reaction Score
KLS should be able to contribute immediately as a catch and shoot wing in the WNBA. She is a much better player all around player than KML with none of her major short comings. How effective she will be in the post will still remain to be seen. But she is a good shooter and they are in demand in the WNBA. As a Sparks fan I hope she is still available when they pick. They did not have a reliable outside shooter at the wing last season.

Reaction Score

I agree, Pheesa is blocked all the time & cant shoot a lick! It’s amazing she is shooting 61% & is top 5 all-time in UConn history in percentage & points. What a lucky career she’s had :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think I lean toward Pheese. Durability plays a factor in that as does her willingness/capability in the paint. It's important to note though, that both are going to have good careers in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Everything depends on the coach & the team talent. However, KLS has it all; great shooter from anywhere, great ft shooter, superb passer who looks to pass which is important, good size, long reach, great team player spilling over with intangibles, can become a good rebounder & defender at the next level. But, it still depends on what the coach sees her future to be. If it's just a spot-up shooter role player she will be stunted and will have to find a coach who sees & values the obvious things I see.

Reaction Score
I agree, Pheesa is blocked all the time & cant shoot a lick! It’s amazing she is shooting 61% & is top 5 all-time in UConn history in percentage & points. What a lucky career she’s had :rolleyes:

Not diminishing Pheesa by any means. But her scoring appears more dependent on Coach Geno's style of play, which uses constant motion to get her free underneath. With a team with a more traditional coach, will she get the motion offense to get her free shots underneath?

Not sure...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Other viewpoints?

I appreciate your take on Collier...........................BUT, I remind you that Maya Moore is only 6'0". She has ALWAYS been able to do just about anything she wants to consistently and at a very high level. Her height has NEVER prevented her from doing anything she wants to. I don't suspect Pheesa's will either. I rest my case. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm going to hate myself in the morning but---AS you pointed out KLS is suited size and 3 ball. Caveat: Assuming KLS stays VERY healthy. There is no one in the NCAA that has better hands, is more accurate, is quicker to the ball defensively; the limiting factor is she is undersize for post, no experience (in college) as a PG, Shooting guard/wing?? Maybe. As Bama said about Arike--(paraphrasing) I fear Supreme repercussion by saying negative anything about Pheesa she is just wonderful

Before I read your post, It crossed my mind that Lou has missed some games due to injury. I believe Collier has not. I believe it was reported during a recent broadcast that Collier was starting her in 100th consecutive game. It's always said that the best "ability" any athlete can have is availability. Collier appears to be very durable. Coaches and GM's love durability in their players.

However, that fact alone will not decide which will be the better pro. What team they go to and who is the coach will also be a factor. Look at how going to Seattle affected KML. Despite being a first round draft pick, she hardly played for 3 years under head coach Jenny Boucek. That had to stunt her development to some degree, even though she flourished in overseas play.

One other item I want to add is that Collier spent time this past summer working out the USA women's basketball team, and was the last or next to the last cut. I believe it was Kara Lawson (who is a coach for the USA women's team) said that Collier more than held her own during team workouts. She added that Collier DID NOT look like a college player during workouts/drills/scrimmages.

This would suggest that Collier should make the transition to the next level quickly and seamlessly, having already gotten over that "awe" factor that most rookies come into the league with. She's already played with the best of the best during those workouts. Collier may not start for her new team, but she will get lots of PT. Collier will be coveted by GM's and coaches in the W as most UConn players are.

Being a two time first team ALL-American (she'll be a first team AA this year), her skills and abilities are unquestioned. The fact that she IS NOT a "diva", nor is she high maintenance is also a plus. She's just a basketball player that plays hard all of the time. Geno says "I don't worry about Pheesa. I know what I'm going to get from her." High praise coming from him.

UConn players are "plug n play." Coming from UConn and playing for Geno who is respected as a teacher and a coach, their BB knowledge and ability to play and understand the game is like an academic degree from Stanford, it's unquestioned. If you can play for Geno, you can play for any coach in the W. Why? He's been a head coach longer than any coach in the W, he has very high standards, and he has more championships than any two of them put together. He is highly respected by every coach in the W.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Time will tell. While Pheesa may have trouble playing against the bigger power forwards in the WNBA, Lou may have trouble guarding the much faster guards as well..

Reaction Score
I believe Napheesa will be the better pro. What Katie Lou does now is great in college. But her game is very similar to Anne Strother who also was about the same height as Katie Lou. Ann Strother did not do well in the pro game. I hope I am wrong and Katie Lou proves me wrong.

Reaction Score
Before I read your post, It crossed my mind that Lou has missed some games due to injury. I believe Collier has not. I believe it was reported during a recent broadcast that Collier was starting her in 100th consecutive game. It's always said that the best "ability" any athlete can have is availability. Collier appears to be very durable. Coaches and GM's love durability in their players.

However, that fact alone will not decide which will be the better pro. What team they go to and who is the coach will also be a factor. Look at how going to Seattle affected KML. Despite being a first round draft pick, she hardly played for 3 years under head coach Jenny Boucek. That had to stunt her development to some degree, even though she flourished in overseas play.

One other item I want to add is that Collier spent time this past summer working out the USA women's basketball team, and was the last or next to the last cut. I believe it was Kara Lawson (who is a coach for the USA women's team) said that Collier more than held her own during team workouts. She added that Collier DID NOT look like a college player during workouts/drills/scrimmages.

This would suggest that Collier should make the transition to the next level quickly and seamlessly, having already gotten over that "awe" factor that most rookies come into the league with. She's already played with the best of the best during those workouts. Collier may not start for her new team, but she will get lots of PT. Collier will be coveted by GM's and coaches in the W as most UConn players are. Being a two time first team ALL-American (she'll be a first team AA this year), her skills and abilities are unquestioned. The fact that she IS NOT a "diva", nor is she high maintenance is also a plus. She's just a basketball player that plays hard all of the time. Geno says "I don't worry about Pheesa. I know what I'm going to get from her." High praise coming from him.

UConn players are "plug n play." Coming from UConn and playing for Geno, their BB knowledge and ability to play and understand the game is unquestioned. If you can play for Geno, you can play for any coach in the W. Why? He's been a head coach longer than any coach in the W, and he has more championships than any two of them put together. He is highly respected by every coach in the W.
@Scoop thanks as usual pulled the wheat from the chaff. Durable is an excellent word to describe Napheesa. I'm not on a speaking basis with anyone coaching or even near and W team so what their assessment of Collier is or maybe. It kinda kick me in the gut to think Napheesa may not be as appreciated as we here do. True, she'd get the energizer bunny tired.
I knew she played with the USA tryouts and got good grades and I guess by extention she played with WNBA players. The only proof of how she will play or how long in the W begins with the draft. I don't care about where she may end up. Many terrific W players were not numbers 1,2,3. Again Scoop, enjoyable read, thanks.

Reaction Score
Lou is not Ann Strother. Annie was a very good college player, but Lou is taller, stronger, and a better shooter. She's a 2x (and counting) All-American. Ann didn't quite make it to AA status.
KLS has many attributes Anne Strothers didn't have. I loved the person Anne, nice and personable.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your take on Collier.......BUT, I remind you that Maya Moore is only 6'0". I rest my case. ;)

Yes, but Maya played everywhere on the court: threes, under the basket, driving to the basket. She was everywhere and could score from anywhere.

Pheesa is an under the basket player. Really not much of a threat from anywhere else...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Pheesa. I am hoping that Lou gets immediately hired as a Graduate Assistant by Geno and begins her coaching career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom