Which top seniors will return for the 21-22 season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Which top seniors will return for the 21-22 season?

Reaction Score
I can’t see Vaughn drafted. Can any of you guys?
Yeah I don’t either! She should stay to work on her stock but I guess she figured that since this is a down year, might as well try it?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm interested in the Texas A&M seniors. Pretty huge for the SEC race.

Arkansas also is interesting situation.

I assume Rennia Davis is going.

Same!

For Arkansas I believe Dungee is gone. Ramirez I have no idea. I can see Slocum staying honestly but all three could go.

TAMU??? No clue!!! Likely they all will be gone but could stay. Even if they exit there are some great "others" on the bench. Zaay Green & Alexis Morris for starters could fill some voids easily.

Reaction Score
Based off her Instagram post, Jenna Staiti will not be back it looks like

Reaction Score
BYU should be a top-25 caliber team next season. Returning everyone and adding a really good post player in Emma Calvert. Kayla Belles-Lee (who had a solid two years at Michigan State) barely played this year.

That’s awesome I like the byu team!

Reaction Score
Based off her Instagram post, Jenna Staiti will not be back it looks like
Connally's tweet also made it seem like she won't be back.

"After the loss, Georgia said farewell to four seniors — Connally, Staiti, Maya Caldwell and Que Morrison. Taylor said they “played their last game,” but the official status of their extra season of eligibility because of the pandemic is unknown."

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I could see Morrison come back because she basically played injured 2 or 3 seasons. I believe 3. Still unsure why Connally played so little yesterday. She didnt look hurt.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Anastasia Hayes will be back next year...currently in the portal

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I can understand why the NCAA would give a "free" year to everyone rather than have to parse through who should get one based on injury, COVID protocol and just the general craziness it would be wise for most of these young ladies, if their degree will be in hand, to move on.

Few players ever make money professionally playing basketball. Some could no doubt improve their draft prospects but the WNBA isn't getting larger and roster spots are intensely competitive. The reality is there are plenty of good players out there who aren't on rosters. Some could definitely go overseas and make money but not many will ever earn a dime playing basketball.

If I were a 22/23 year old person who will have their degree completed then I would not return. If there was a chance to complete a master's degree by the end of next year I would come back depending on the field of study. It will create even more chaos to the annual spring transfer fair.
But if you want to pursue a professional career in most fields, getting a free year of grad school is not a bad deal. And you get to continue playing a game you have played most of your life.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While having players stay for five years sounds like a positive, I think that some coaches may see this as a continuing headache. Suddenly neither coaches (nor recruits) can look at a team's roster and say next year I lose these three players and I get these two recruits, then the following year ...

Because this listing of staying and going players is not a one year deal, but applies to the freshman that played this year when they are seniors in three years. No coach knows who they will have on their roster from their current players and no recruit can look at a roster and say, well they are losing their PG the year I will arrive so I see my spot clearly.

I know that is an issue with transfers anyway, but this could clog rosters, make new recruits unhappy, and cause a lot of issues.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
While having players stay for five years sounds like a positive, I think that some coaches may see this as a continuing headache. Suddenly neither coaches (nor recruits) can look at a team's roster and say next year I lose these three players and I get these two recruits, then the following year ...

Because this listing of staying and going players is not a one year deal, but applies to the freshman that played this year when they are seniors in three years. No coach knows who they will have on their roster from their current players and no recruit can look at a roster and say, well they are losing their PG the year I will arrive so I see my spot clearly.

I know that is an issue with transfers anyway, but this could clog rosters, make new recruits unhappy, and cause a lot of issues.

Time will tell, although I feel like we're already at that point with so many transfers and grad transfers. I mean look at the top 2017 recruiting classes (Tennessee, UCONN, Texas, and Louisville). All of those players in theory should be in their 4th year, yet 11 of the 14 recruits didn't stick it out at their original school for 4 years. More of them actually transferred twice than stayed 4 years at their school (right now 4 have transferred or will transfer twice: Booth, Hayes, AEH, Gordon.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Time will tell, although I feel like we're already at that point with so many transfers and grad transfers. I mean look at the top 2017 recruiting classes (Tennessee, UCONN, Texas, and Louisville). All of those players in theory should be in their 4th year, yet 11 of the 14 recruits didn't stick it out at their original school for 4 years. More of them actually transferred twice than stayed 4 years at their school (right now 4 have transferred or will transfer twice: Booth, Hayes, AEH, Gordon.)
Yeah, but I think most coaches know pretty soon which players are going to leave - within the first couple of months. I don't think it is often a surprise to them. They may actually be more surprised by a few who stay longer than a year or actually stay all 4. And that means they are not that far behind in recruiting.

Coaches are probably more surprised when some players leave early for the pros - Muffet certainly was caught off guard by Jewell I think.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yeah, but I think most coaches know pretty soon which players are going to leave - within the first couple of months. I don't think it is often a surprise to them. They may actually be more surprised by a few who stay longer than a year or actually stay all 4. And that means they are not that far behind in recruiting.

Coaches are probably more surprised when some players leave early for the pros - Muffet certainly was caught off guard by Jewell I think.
That's a valid point, each case is unique. I think coaches are now recognizing the allure of the WNBA after 3 years, so it isn't as much of a shock now compared to when Loyd left in 2015. I believe she was the first player to leave for the pros after 3 years without getting her degree so it was pretty unprecedented when she left, especially considering how loaded ND was going to be the following year. The last couple of years we've seen Collier/Sabally announce they're going pro before the season ended and everyone predicted Carter was leaving too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom