OT: - Which program (not wcbb) reminds me of our beloved Huskies? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Which program (not wcbb) reminds me of our beloved Huskies?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Yes. As a Knicks fan watching Jordan consistently take 3 steps to the hoop (and heaven forbid you breathe on him) ...

Yeah, that Jordan dude was a mediocre player whose scarce talents were amplified by the NBA’s dishonest officials. He couldn’t even get minutes when he was a grade schooler. And what’s with that “ceiling is the roof business?” The man was a fraud.

Reaction Score
thanks: this is fascinating. I didn't know anything about UCLA being a dirty program or "the darker side" of Wooden. Can you point me to articles to read up on on this?

You'll have to google it but yes google Sam Gilbert.

It was a real blue chips situation going on over there.

There's a very infamous story you have to read about how they convinced Lew Alcindor to attend UCLA, its more than just the lure of pretty girls.

All that said, the guy was great. No knock on him. But what Geno has done clean is amazing.

Reaction Score
Without doubt, it's the Dean Smith North Carolina basketball team from the 1970's. His teams played like the Huskies, or vice versa. They were characterized by seamless transition, tenacious defense, beautiful teamwork on offense, and an infuriating, frustrating, magnificent professionalism and elegant poise. They were class personified. And Dean Smith was the man who presided over it all.

From year to year, it didn't really matter who was on the roster, because Dean Smith's teams always played with the characteristic precision of Dean Smith teams.

That's what struck me most about the UConn Huskies lo these twenty years ago when I first saw Connecticut play basketball.

Reaction Score
Without doubt, it's the Dean Smith North Carolina basketball team from the 1970's. His teams played like the Huskies, or vice versa. They were characterized by seamless transition, tenacious defense, beautiful teamwork on offense, and an infuriating, frustrating, magnificent professionalism and elegant poise. They were class personified. And Dean Smith was the man who presided over it all.

From year to year, it didn't really matter who was on the roster, because Dean Smith's teams always played with the characteristic precision of Dean Smith teams.

That's what struck me most about the UConn Huskies lo these twenty years ago when I first saw Connecticut play basketball.

Another dirty program.

At least Geno does it clean

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Geno has even spoke of it:

The 50's Celtics even before Bill Russell of Cousy, Sharman and Easy Ed was a team built on individual brilliance and extraordinary team ball

But the Holzman era Knicks of Reed, Debusschere, Bill Bradley, Dick Barnet and Clyde Frazier was the most extreme example of relentless, unselfish, team basketball...possibly ever seen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So I am going off the board and say the Premier League soccer team Manchester City and their truely revolutionary coach Pep Guardioloa. Right now, they have won (no draws) 18 games in a row playing a style of ball control and skill not fashionable in the Premier League which features long crosses and headers above all else and goalies who kick the ball to midfield on a wing and a prayer. His style was laughed at in England and most thought it could not work in the Premier League. It took a while but they are an incredible offensive and tough minded unit. His style is not unique to MC since he pushed the same magic at Bayern Munich and Barcelona.

MC going for #19 in a row at Crystal Palace who is playing reasonably well. 7AM on NBCSN. I for one (maybe more than figuratively :rolleyes:) will enjoy
this as a nice warm up for UConn game.

Reaction Score
Another dirty program.

At least Geno does it clean

Not sure what you were referring to, but decades ago, Dean Smith never got accused of anything. I think you're thinking of the present-day UNC program, not Dean Smith's teams of the 1970's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom