OT: - Which program (not wcbb) reminds me of our beloved Huskies? | The Boneyard

OT: Which program (not wcbb) reminds me of our beloved Huskies?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have been thinking about this for a while and I decided to take a plunge. First, what are the salient features that make UConn truly singular

1) Of course the winning but I venture to say that for me, that is not the most critical characteristic
2) Most important for me is that their style of play is unique and is made up of the highest level of teamwork, skill development and a coach with an all encompassing vision.

So which team fits the bill

Until this year, I would have said the GS Warriors whose style of play, passing and teamwork were uniqur in the NBA but after seeing the incredibly bad sportsmanship of their stars (except for the true sportsman Klay Thompson)

So where else? The Lynx?. I do not see it. They do not play a singular style but simply play a little better, a little harder and they have Maya Moore and Fowles

So I am going off the board and say the Premier League soccer team Manchester City and their truely revolutionary coach Pep Guardioloa. Right now, they have won (no draws) 18 games in a row playing a style of ball control and skill not fashionable in the Premier League which features long crosses and headers above all else and goalies who kick the ball to midfiels on a wing and a prayer. His style was laughed at in England and most thought it could not work in the Premier League. It took a while but they are an incredible offensive and tough minded unit. His style is not unique to MC since he pushed the same magic at Bayern Munich and Barcelona.

Other good teams in the Premier league such as Manchester United win by defense and individual players that bludgeon lower teams. In my thesis, ManU plays the role of the old Tenn with their coach Hall of Fame coach Jose Morinho playing the role (in spirit) of Pat Summitt. Defense and effort. No offensive flair allowed.

Not looking for the best team but the most transformative team.

Feel free to poop over my theory. :p

Reaction Score
Golden State style of play is unique in the NBA? I can only speak for myself but feel confident that one Mr Gregg Charles Popovich would take issue with that.

Reaction Score
The obvious comp to me is Wooden and UCLA. Teamwork, defense, skill, excellent recruits, fundamentals and classy.

I agree. This does resemble the UCLA run. UCLA has a few dominate players in LA and BW and they were heads and tails better than the competition. We had dominate players in DT, BS, MM that were so much better than the other players. I feel like college basketball in UCLA era was not as deep as it is today and that matches up with current womens basketball. How many teams really can beat uconn if they play there B - B+ game? My guess would be no more than 3-5 teams.....

I think we do run our program cleaner than Wooden did though. As much as you may think it he was not a choir boy. Read the stories on how he got LA to play basketball cross country. I dont think Geno has quite the darker side JW had....

Reaction Score
I think we do run our program cleaner than Wooden did though. As much as you may think it he was not a choir boy. Read the stories on how he got LA to play basketball cross country. I dont think Geno has quite the darker side JW had....
thanks: this is fascinating. I didn't know anything about UCLA being a dirty program or "the darker side" of Wooden. Can you point me to articles to read up on on this?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
NE Patriots

Cheaters.
foxhole.png

Reaction Score
:) Geno doesn't think so.

To be serious for a moment, during the Deflate Gate debacle (after which the NFL has never released the figures for the subsequent year's weighing of footballs for all teams...I wonder why?), a Canadian researcher with no ties to the Patriots did a study of all the teams' transgressions since the merger.
Greatest number of times penalized by the NFL by far were the Steelers.
Greatest number of drug infractions by several standard deviations were the Seahawks
Most egregious by far: Broncos and 49ers, both of whom cheated on their salary cap reports that allowed them to keep teams together to win superbowls.

turns out: Patriots were one of the least penalized teams in the NFL.

Reaction Score
The Chinese Olympic Table-tennis team.

Table Tennis (ping pong) has been contested in the olympics since 1988.
Singles, Doubles and Team Championships. Both men's and women's events.
To this day, 32 gold, 32 silver and 36 bronzes have been awarded. In 1992, 2 sets of Bronzes were awarded.
The Chinese have won 28 gold, 17 silver and 8 bronze medals.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree the Patriots are the best run program and Bellichick is the best coach in the game but the product on the field does not look
uniquely different from other teams to me. Success comes mainly from Brady and maybe some unique receivers / tight ends over time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just wanted to create some heat on a bitterly cold day with the Patriots comment. The UCLA thing, now that is a real thing.
It was taken and replied to in entirely the same the spirit Rocky.

Reaction Score
Thanks, meyers7. Ironic that Bobby Knight, who did run a squeaky clean program, is seen by the larger public as a pariah because of his personal demons, and John Wooden seen as a saint.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
:) Geno doesn't think so.

To be serious for a moment, during the Deflate Gate debacle (after which the NFL has never released the figures for the subsequent year's weighing of footballs for all teams...I wonder why?), a Canadian researcher with no ties to the Patriots did a study of all the teams' transgressions since the merger.
Greatest number of times penalized by the NFL by far were the Steelers.
Greatest number of drug infractions by several standard deviations were the Seahawks
Most egregious by far: Broncos and 49ers, both of whom cheated on their salary cap reports that allowed them to keep teams together to win superbowls.

turns out: Patriots were one of the least penalized teams in the NFL.
But bags whether NE are cheaters or not, other teams have so much more to think about than just gameday whenever they play them. Let's get this straight, I am not a Pats fan. Nevertheless I thought for various reasons deflategate was either a joke or irrelevant. Have the Pats recorded the practices of teams other than the Jets? Who knows, its never been proven. Do the Pats hire former players of other teams to get inside knowledge? Do the Pats steal other teams play books? None of this has ever been proven. Yet, before teams play NE these are the things many teams believe and it does affect them on gameday.

It's part of their mystique. It's part of why Steven A. Smith consistently says the Pats, rather than the consistently 8 and 8 and mediocre Cowboys are really America's team. No offense, but drug infractions and penalties on game days are really irrelevant issues. Seth Davis' book "Wooden, A Coaches Life" digs pretty deep and is recommended reading. And yeah, it goes deeply into Wooden's "dark side". But that's all part of his mystique as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But bags whether NE are cheaters or not, other teams have so much more the think about than just gameday whenever they play them. Let's get this straight, I am not a Pats fan. Nevertheless I thought for various reasons deflategate was either a joke or irrelevant. Have the Pats recorded the practices of teams other than the Jets? Who knows, its never been proven. Do the Pats hire former players of other teams to get inside knowledge? Do the Pats steal other teams play books? None of this has ever been proven. Yet, before teams play NE these are the things many teams believe and it does affect them on gameday.

It's part of their mystique. It's part of why Steven A. Smith consistently says the Pats, rather than the consistently 8 and 8 and mediocre Cowboys are really America's team. No offense, but drug infractions and penalties on game days are really irrelevant issues. Seth Davis' book "Wooden, A Coaches Life" digs pretty deep and is recommended reading. And yeah, it goes deeply into Wooden's "dark side". But that's all part of his mystique as well.
No argument, Jordy. Look at the Steelers: they are obsessed with the Patriots. That's all they can talk about all season: they are sure the Patriots will do something that's unfair and yet get away with it. Sort of like Red Auerbach working the referees. I remember one game Cousy was walking the ball up the court (turning it over, as he always did), talking to Sid Borgia the whole time like they were deciding where to go to dinner after the game. Being a Philadelphia (Warriors) fan, I sort of just gave up.

Gamesmanship is available to anyone smart enough to do it, and the HC of the UConn WCBB team isn't bad at it, either.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No argument, Jordy. Look at the Steelers: they are obsessed with the Patriots. That's all they can talk about all season: they are sure the Patriots will do something that's unfair and yet get away with it. Sort of like Red Auerbach working the referees. I remember one game Cousy was walking the ball up the court (turning it over, as he always did), talking to Sid Borgia the whole time like they were deciding where to go to dinner after the game. Being a Philadelphia (Warriors) fan, I sort of just gave up.

Gamesmanship is available to anyone smart enough to do it, and the HC of the UConn WCBB team isn't bad at it, either.
Yes. As a Knicks fan watching Jordan consistently take 3 steps to the hoop (and heaven forbid you breathe on him) or watching a 6'7" Dave Cowens knock everyone around in the paint and get rebounds without a foul call made me throw up my hands as well.

Reaction Score
I hope this doesn't get me in hot water on this site but just saw a quote from the late Ara Parseghian that fits here: " A good coach will make his players see what they can be rather than what they are."
Sounds familiar.

Reaction Score
I have been thinking about this for a while and I decided to take a plunge. First, what are the salient features that make UConn truly singular

1) Of course the winning but I venture to say that for me, that is not the most critical characteristic
2) Most important for me is that their style of play is unique and is made up of the highest level of teamwork, skill development and a coach with an all encompassing vision.

Until this year, I would have said the GS Warriors whose style of play, passing and teamwork were uniqur in the NBA but after seeing the incredibly bad sportsmanship of their stars (except for the true sportsman Klay Thompson)

So where else? The Lynx?. I do not see it. They do not play a singular style but simply play a little better, a little harder and they have Maya Moore and Fowles

So I am going off the board and say the Premier League soccer team Manchester City and their truely revolutionary coach Pep Guardioloa. Right now, they have won (no draws) 18 games in a row playing a style of ball control and skill not fashionable in the Premier League which features long crosses and headers above all else and goalies who kick the ball to midfiels on a wing and a prayer. His style was laughed at in England and most thought it could not work in the Premier League. It took a while but they are an incredible offensive and tough minded unit. His style is not unique to MC since he pushed the same magic at Bayern Munich and Barcelona.

Other good teams in the Premier league such as Manchester United win by defense and individual players that bludgeon lower teams. In my thesis, ManU plays the role of the old Tenn with their coach Hall of Fame coach Jose Morinho playing the role (in spirit) of Pat Summitt. Defense and effort. No offensive flair allowed.

The comparison of the Huskies to the soccer teams that play the "beautiful game " in soccer sounds right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom