Which players do you think fans are sleeping on for this season? | The Boneyard

Which players do you think fans are sleeping on for this season?

Reaction Score
There is a consensus amongst us UConn fans that we expect Jalen to have an amazing year and be the best player on the team. There is an expectation that Carlton will continue to grow and be our number 1 big on the team. Fans expect Alterique to have an immediate positive impact.

Are there players who you think most fans are sleeping on for this upcoming year?

I got two. I think people expect Alterique to contribute right away but I actually think Alterique will be just behind Jalen as the best player on the team. My expectations for Alterique are probably higher than most other UConn fans, some of whom don't even see him starting.

The other player that I think will play a bigger role than expected by fans is Kwintin Williams. The guy brings his all whenever he is given playing time. With Diarra out for the next few months, and Yakwe suffering a foot injury, I think this opens the door for Kwintin, and Hurley may reward Kwintin for his hard play and rebounding rate more so than KO.

Which players do you guys think will surpass general fan expectations?

Reaction Score
I’m looking for Polley to thrive with more direction. I think we’ll see him become more dangerous all over the court and more consistent from 3. I don’t know why, I just always have this feeling that he is capable of much more. He just looks like a basketball player to me. He has a good looking jump shoot, length, seems coordinated etc. I’m not saying he’s a star in the making, but a pretty good player.

Reaction Score
I’m looking for Polley to thrive with more direction. I think we’ll see him become more dangerous all over the court and more consistent from 3. I don’t know why, I just always have this feeling that he is capable of much more. He just looks like a basketball player to me. He has a good looking jump shoot, length, seems coordinated etc. I’m not saying he’s a star in the making, but a pretty good player.

I was thinking of Polley being a player who could potentially see a big leap. He has a lot of upside. Having watched pre-game warm-ups last season, Polley was the best shooter. Polley also is a legit 6-9. So he is a 6-9 forward with great 3pt shooting capability, along with some handle. That is a great recipe for success in basketball.

The only issue is, last year, during games he sometimes looked like a deer in headlights, and much of his energy on the court was strongly connected to his confidence. Hopefully as a sophomore he will feel more confident on the court so he can really showcase his abilities, but I think he may need another year of maturity and workouts, before we see him blossom during games.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say fans are sleeping on Alterique. The only concern anyone is having is that his shoulder doesn't hold up, and the only reason people see him coming off the bench to start is that he's going to have to knock off some rust at first. Pretty much the whole board agrees he's our 2nd best player if he stays healthy.

Reaction Score
I actually think many are also sleeping on Al (Coach Hurley called him "Al" so we can make it easier on ourselves too). I don't blame those who are because they are scared of the injury and the rust and why not. But just watch the HS highlights, the Oregon video which by the way is a less than healthy Al only really using the one arm. Impressive, does things on both ends which change the dynamic of this team by a lot. It's going to be fun watching him grow, he's still a "young" player in regards to minutes and experience on the court. But he has the "it" we need and Jalen needs to get him some space too.

I am hoping the new staff is the answer for Whaley too. Lots of upside there even though he can't score the ball yet. He can block shots, defend the perimeter as well as the inside and has a nice for the ball. Needs to get tougher, stronger but his size, length and athletic ability is all there for a very good defender and we will need to stop people.

So many others - heck I know I'm sleeping on CV and he was the 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder. I say this only because I am unsure of his ability to be part of the change which will change who he is on this team. He will not get 30 plus minutes that often and will not have the freedom to take whatever shot he wishes. He's a much better basketball player now than he was when he came in but is he a lot better teammate? He's huge and his part is vital to the success this year just need the buy in. Hope he's game!

Reaction Score
I do not think most people are sleeping on Alterique Gilbert, per se. But at the same time you can not underestimate his importance to the direction and outcome this season will take. If he is able to stay healthy and play the whole year, we become nationally relevant again. We are not sleeping on his talent, but I think many still do not grasp just how important his on-court leadership is to the trajectory of this upcoming season.

Do I expect him to be a bit rusty at first, make some extra unforced errors? Yes. But you could see last year in the few games he played what a difference he makes. He is a natural leader, and we clearly lack something when he is absent. Case in point, the 1st vs. 2nd halves against Michigan St., and then the next day's debacle against Arkansas.

Think of the difference in the quality of our back court this year with him vs. without him. That great divide translates to at least 5 wins... and probably more. How different is an 18-20 win season versus a 24 to 26 win season?

Alterique's healthy presence, and the positive dominoes that fall into place as a result, is the X factor to that difference.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Looking for Josh Carlton to take a huge jump! If he can stay out of foul trouble and get solid minutes I think he could be extremely productive for us in the post

Reaction Score
I actually think many are also sleeping on Al (Coach Hurley called him "Al" so we can make it easier on ourselves too). I don't blame those who are because they are scared of the injury and the rust and why not. But just watch the HS highlights, the Oregon video which by the way is a less than healthy Al only really using the one arm. Impressive, does things on both ends which change the dynamic of this team by a lot. It's going to be fun watching him grow, he's still a "young" player in regards to minutes and experience on the court. But he has the "it" we need and Jalen needs to get him some space too.

I am hoping the new staff is the answer for Whaley too. Lots of upside there even though he can't score the ball yet. He can block shots, defend the perimeter as well as the inside and has a nice for the ball. Needs to get tougher, stronger but his size, length and athletic ability is all there for a very good defender and we will need to stop people.

So many others - heck I know I'm sleeping on CV and he was the 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder. I say this only because I am unsure of his ability to be part of the change which will change who he is on this team. He will not get 30 plus minutes that often and will not have the freedom to take whatever shot he wishes. He's a much better basketball player now than he was when he came in but is he a lot better teammate? He's huge and his part is vital to the success this year just need the buy in. Hope he's game![/QUOTE
I'm not sure CV has much more ceiling than we have already seen. He can contribute because he plays hard but he won't start or get starters minutes. Al and Jalen will be in the back court with Smith and B. Adams competing for some of CV's minutes. Maybe the challenge will help CV. We'll see.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think people are sleeping on Tarin Smith. I expect him to have a significant role throughout the season.
I also think people are sleeping on Sidney Wilson. I expect to see his playing time increase as the season progresses.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think people are sleeping on Tarin Smith. I expect him to have a significant role throughout the season.
I also think people are sleeping on Sidney Wilson. I expect to see his playing time increase as the season progresses.
I hope the guy is more Kromah and less Anderson.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hope the guy is more Kromah and less Anderson.
Anderson was in a shooting slump all season. He was a serviceable guard and at times I felt the team ran better when he was running point.

I think Tarin is a better player and will pick up Hurley's system quicker than Christian.

Reaction Score
Polley is my sleeper
He has a decent shot and after watching some of his prep games he can go to the hoop when he gets confidence I see a DD type player. He was 17-18 years old last year as was Carlton . With maturity comes strength and hopefully confidence.
Wilson is an unknown kind of a wild card.

Reaction Score
Last year in 15 minutes a game, he averaged just over four points and just under four rebounds .

I expect both those numbers to jump this season.

Josh Carlton.

Reaction Score

Tyler will be on the court with his six ft nine 3 point shooting stroke. In an offense with greater player movement and passing I'm looking for Tyler to put the ball on the floor more and aggressively driving to the rim and scoring, dishing, or getting fouled. Mixing up his game so he can shoot the three ball. He will be a big part of our success this year with better confidence, skills, strength, and toughness. He played the most minutes as a freshman last year I'm pretty sure, and although he was very hesitant on offense and not real strong on the defensive side with his interior presence or rebounding, the last one third of the season he was playing tougher, hitting threes, driving to the rim a couple of times a game and was stronger on the defensive side somewhat.

I think Tyler will really benefit from Hurley's coaching and the new effort, grit, toughness culture that Hurley makes his players compete with. His mental/physical maturation this year will enable him to be a much more impactful player.

I'm looking for him to average double digit points this year.

Also think Calton and Whaley will really benefit from being sophomores and that Brendan Adams will begin to be a factor as the season progresses.

Christian Vital will be a better player in a more tightly structured/cohesive offense and has always had the effort on D. Christian has gotten better each year he has been here.

Cobb might make a run at being an important player for us, but he has to play defense and rebound aggressively.

Hope to see the best out out of Wilson, Yakwe, Smith, and Williams but do not know enough to comment. I do know however that this is Sydney's second year in the program, he's matured and added muscle, was highly rated, and could have quite the impact. Also know that Tarin Smith should be solid as he was A10 sixth man this past year.

I hope to see Mamadou back on the floor by late December/January, and he will definitely be a factor if he can stay on the floor. This guy is a tough player with a motor just looking to break out both offensively and defensively.

AG and Jalen Adams will lead the charge. This backcourt could be outstanding both offensively and defensively, and this team feeds off of the leadership, playmaking, and scoring of these two players.

Ready for the season! Bleed Blue!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People are sleeping on Jalen. First team All-American with something like a 22/4/5 stat line on 45/40/90 shooting splits and multiple huge shots in big games would not shock me.

He could have the type of season that we're still talking about 25 years from now, something like Donyell's junior year. I firmly believe that.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
People are sleeping on Jalen. First team All-American with something like a 22/4/5 stat line on 45/40/90 shooting splits and multiple huge shots in big games would not shock me.

He could have the type of season that we're still talking about 25 years from now, something like Donyell's junior year. I firmly believe that.

40/90 would pleasantly surprise me, but otherwise I am with you.

Reaction Score
40/90 would pleasantly surprise me, but otherwise I am with you.
Here's my rationale: KO's "offense," such as it were, generated a lot of low-percentage, off-the-dribble, out-of-rhythm 3s that nobody except Steph Curry hits at a great clip. Jalen, as the primary ball-handler, had to shoot a lot of those.

Just by eliminating those kinds of shots from his diet – by virtue of playing in a real offense – he should see an uptick in his % by 2 or 3%.

The other factor, which applies to both his 3FG % and his FT% is simple fatigue. 1) I expect him to be in better shape, 2) I don't expect him to have to handle the ball every single possession, and 3) I don't think he'll play 37 minutes a night again. Less fatigue means better shooting percentages for just about any player.

It's a stretch, and like you said it would be a pleasant surprise. But there are underlying factors that should improve a ton this season, and the talent's there, so...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The only issue is, last year, during games he sometimes looked like a deer in headlights, and much of his energy on the court was strongly connected to his confidence. Hopefully as a sophomore he will feel more confident on the court so he can really showcase his abilities, but I think he may need another year of maturity and workouts, before we see him blossom during games.

Not the only issue. He was a sieve on defense. He's got relatively slow feet, and it showed.

Upside for Polley is a nice backup player imo. Happy to eat crow if he exceeds that someday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom