Which of the "newbies" will be the biggest surprise? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which of the "newbies" will be the biggest surprise?

Which "freshman" will be the biggest pleasant surprise this coming season?

• Ice Brady

• Jana El Alfy

• Ashlynn Shade

• KK Arnold

• Qadence Samuels

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I don't know if i want any of the guards to surprise us as it will probably means that someone from our core guards (Paige, Azzi, Nika, CD, Aubrey) got injured :( The front court got some great opportunities for Yana and Ice should be getting good minutes to show what they can do and i hope one of them or both will be the surprise. I did vote for Yana as she could potentially be a perfect replacement for Dorka (size/shooting ability from inside and outside)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I chose Shade.

I think that Jana and Ice will have the biggest impact of all of the poll candidates, but their performances won’t be as much of a surprise as Shade’s. Ice spent last season observing the team from the bench. Jana has been working out with the team since January, and Geno recently described her as “exceptionally talented.” So I’m expecting both Jana and Ice to have great seasons.

I believe that Ashlynn Shade has been under the radar. Chris Dailey compared her to Shea Ralph. If Ashlynn is 70% as good as a healthy Shea, she’ll be a very pleasant surprise.
Ding Ding Ding!!! That is exactly why she got my vote. IMO, of the four freshmen, she has gotten the least amount of hype or notoriety from the coaches or her teammates thus far. To answer the question: Which of the "newbies" will be the biggest surprise? It's Ashlynn because she is the least talked about in the media and here in the yard, hence right now, has the least amount of expectations.......IMO, hence would be the biggest surprise. Again, the June 22, 2023 article by beat writer Dan Connolly was an excellent read and highlighted who Ashlynn Shade is. I was also impressed with CD's opinion of her.

Reaction Score
After receiving the four freshmen's letters, Geno gave a brief comment on each player and he stated that Qadence may be the most gifted of the four. But I would imagine that it will be determined by the player that offers skills in an area of need. If a big is needed, it could be Ice or Jana. If a guard or wing it could be one of the other three. Last couple of years the freshman have noticeably passed up open shots to defer to their older teammates. So there is a big advantage if one of the freshmen is looking for her shot and having the confidence to take it. Never saw Rebecca, Shea, Diana, Sue, Maya, Breanna, Paige, Azzi or any of our other prior All Americans show a lack of confidence in taking an open shot.
A minor quibble, TWG326, amid a wholly uplifting and exciting discussion of the Huskies' really promising 'rookies': the best Azzi has been so far for UConn is an all-Big East freshman.

We all hope and, if she's healthy, expect Azzi to challenge for All-American honors, yet to this point she's been an occasionally bright 'shining star.'

That said, I absolutely love this thread and, for the first time really since the Ohio State game, I'm pumped for the 2023-24 season. Thanks to all for helping me get my adrenaline back...:)

By the way, I voted for Ashlynn, but would happily admit I'm wrong if any or all four of the other candidates surprise me even more!

Carnac

Reaction Score
We all have our own individual expectations of our freshmen. If they meet or come close to those expectations, then there’s no surprise. If our expectations are vastly exceeded, then we are surprised. It’s assumed that those expectations are reasonable to begin with.

Reaction Score
I already have high expectations for Ice Brady............Jana and KK might very well surprise many next season with their contributions......

Reaction Score
My expectations of KK and Ashlynn are both very high based on their overall ranking and the comments that are escaping the practice gym since their arrival on campus. I voted for Jana because when I first say her I didn't see her as athletic as many of the kids UCONN brings on board and she seemed kind of shy.

So why vote for her then? Well I have seen some footage of her scrimmaging with the team and I am surprised at how fluid her movements are on the court and her ability to force the contact and still score the basket. She is long and right now UCONN will benefit most from a player that can rebound and defense the post and I think from what I have seen she will be the one.

Reaction Score
Whoever can play defense the best will get off the bench first. I’m guessing that Shade will remind us of another midwestern low-profile star, Kelly Faris.

Reaction Score
Biggest surprise will be the kid(s) flying the most under the radar. IMO that's either Shade or Q. I tossed a coin and took Shade.
That's funny. I flipped a coin and it came up Q.

Aw, who the heck knows? I just hope we get a chance to see a lot of all 5. That happens if we consistently jump out to early leads. I want to see each of them mixed and matched with starters, rather than throwing them all in as a second team. Should be fun.

Reaction Score
I voted Jana but also feel Ice can break through because they both have the most well-rounded game as bigs and will have a better chance to show what they can do!

Reaction Score
It will be hot for freshmen guards to see playing time, that's why I voted for Jana but I really hope it will be a breaking season for Amari

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I voted Jana but also feel Ice can break through because they both have the most well-rounded game as bigs and will have a better chance to show what they can do!
With the passage of time we maybe have tended to forget how versatile Ice can be on the floor and in shoot making. If she has the year she is capable off and Jana makes Geno look like @Carnac then Oh Baby!

Reaction Score
Jana

But having a player like KK Arnold on the bench is invaluable, she can come in, knock down some jumpers whenever she wants. Reminds me of alot of Jewell Loyd but with point guard skills. Ice won't be a surprise but she really is that girl. Think Qadence will surprise alot of people with her shooting ability as well.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn. Just a gut feeling she is going to be a major pain for opponents. The latest from UConn Blog is she is a lot like one of our favs, Shea Ralph. She gets to her spots and hits her shots. She can board and her engine is always going 110%.
The first time I really saw Ashlynn was her interview after the open practice a while back.Another smart articulate competitive young woman that Geno and CD recruit.
Looking forward to her this season

Carnac

Reaction Score
Jana

But having a player like KK Arnold on the bench is invaluable, she can come in, knock down some jumpers whenever she wants. Reminds me of alot of Jewell Loyd but with point guard skills. Ice won't be a surprise but she really is that girl. Think Qadence will surprise alot of people with her shooting ability as well.
Right now, until something happens to make me think otherwise, that's the way I see it. I think KK will pretty much get whatever she wants on offense. Her crossover should remove whoever is in front of her producing an open look. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom