Which NCAA Team matches up best defensively vs UCONN? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which NCAA Team matches up best defensively vs UCONN?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not that I know of!
Please if you could take at least some of ochoopsfan's suggestion and start a fan forum for OSU. A well populated and informed fanboard really helps develop the culture of the team and that is precisely was Rueck is trying to build there. By the way I'm one of many on this board that love what Rueck is doing there and I really enjoy watching his teams play.

Reaction Score
Is this Oregon State(there is only one tOSU) better than last year's FF team w/o Jamie Weisner and Ruth Hamblin? Weise is the best PG in America, but I don't see this team being better than last year's which Connecticut destroyed, containing both Wiesner and Weise. I believe for a team to beat Connecticut is more about what they don't do on a given night as opposed to what any other team does. What Connecticut has that os more important than anything is the supreme belief that no one can beat them. They believe, I mean really believe that they are supposed to win every time they step on the court, no matter who the opponent is. They are relentless and they play harder than anyone else in the country for 40 minutes, teams can't match that. I was at the tOSU game in Columbus last season and it was a marvel to watch in person. I sat behind the tOSU bench and the staff and players were equally befuddled as to what to do. I don't know that the PAC12's best have any shot. UCLA is erratic, Stanford doesn't have the firepower, UW is a one-trick pony, although Osahor is fun to watch.
No question about UCONN, I'm a believer. This OSU team would match up better (lose by 19 points?) with last year's UCONN team than OSU's team last year for one reason: Ruth Hamblin is not on this team! She was a 100% liability last year against UCONN. This OSU Team is a way better defensive team, and, much better rebounding team. Ruth Hamblin & Devon Hunter's replacements this year are much better in this regard. I think OSU will get out of their regional (first 2 games) in the NCAA tourney, but don't know after that....depends on who they play in the 3rd game. I will say this, they have surprised to the upside with how resilient, tough, and determined they are to win. They have been in more close games than any OSU team I can remember, and find a way to win. Please know this, I haven't see UCONN play this year, but I don't have to...they are superior to anyone else in NCAA Women's game. I am looking forward to their game tonight.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is this Oregon State(there is only one tOSU) better than last year's FF team w/o Jamie Weisner and Ruth Hamblin? Weise is the best PG in America, but I don't see this team being better than last year's which Connecticut destroyed, containing both Wiesner and Weise.

I believe Oregon St. was better last year, but their record at this point in the season is nearly identical to last year, including posting the same 16-2 conference record in what is probably an overall tougher league this year. They've mitigated the loss of Hamblin, Weisner is the one they really miss. I looked at their schedule for last year, they had a few more games w/ big winning margins, but even last year had quite a few low scoring games w/ margins of 10 or less. It's their M.O. They got blown out by UCLA and Stanford on the road last year, they've actually done better against the top teams in the Pac 12 this year. The OOC was better last year w/ games against Tennessee and Notre Dame (both close losses).

Not sure I'd even call Wiese the best PG in the Pac 12, let alone the entire country. Canada from UCLA is really good...and Plum should probably be considered the PG for UW. Not to take anything away from Wiese, she's really good too.

It's worth noting this year's Connecticut is not last year's team. Still the best in the country, but the gap between them and everyone else is not nearly as wide.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thank you for this reply. When you say Gabby Williams is TOUGH, do you mean physically imposing to her defender? I am recording the UCONN game tonight, and will finally get to watch my first UCONN game, so hopefully I can better understand your comment. OSU played UCONN last year in Final 4 so I remember a good deal about UCONN, but I haven't watched their team this season. Thanks again.
What's interesting about Gabby are a few things. One of course is when Nat comes in to form a team of Lou, Gabby, Pheesa, and Kia, Gabby is literally the smallest player on the floor for Geno. Yet she generally covers the other teams biggest player. Another is her work effort. She is the fastest player on the team (Kia is close) and never stops working. You'll notice however as a team UConn runs the lanes harder than any team you've ever seen. As Debbie Antonelli said, they even run out of the locker room faster than any other.

Gabby's energy level is perhaps tops in all of CBB. She goes for every loose ball, never gives up on the play and isn't afraid to knock that big post out of the way to get the ball or rip it from their hands. When she goes up for a rebound she acts as if she owns the ball, and then dribbles out for the break. She's also the best passer on the team and leads the team in steals. Her athleticism is breathtaking and at least once a game she'll do some athletic play that is just jaw dropping.

While you're watching the game note also the near balletic moves Pheesa has on the block, and she works everything inside off the block. She's also the best cutter in WCBB. When her outside shot is on she is literally the most unguardable forward in WCBB.

Yes, UConn plays excellent defense, but their conditioning is also something the best teams have a problem with. UConn comes out of the gate in the 1st period and the 3rd period ready to play and execute, and they will execute. UConn plays with a pace that can stun teams the first time they play them, and that pace doesn't let up even when the bench is emptied.

Yes the gap between UConn and the rest of WCBB is less than it was last year. The reasons for that are simple: A far shorter bench and the fact that UConn is led by sophomores and juniors. With a bench of 10 players, two seniors, one walk on and 3 freshmen, this is a young and inexperienced team that has lots of room for improvement.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No question about UCONN, I'm a believer. This OSU team would match up better (lose by 19 points?) with last year's UCONN team than OSU's team last year for one reason: Ruth Hamblin is not on this team! She was a 100% liability last year against UCONN. This OSU Team is a way better defensive team, and, much better rebounding team. Ruth Hamblin & Devon Hunter's replacements this year are much better in this regard. I think OSU will get out of their regional (first 2 games) in the NCAA tourney, but don't know after that....depends on who they play in the 3rd game. I will say this, they have surprised to the upside with how resilient, tough, and determined they are to win. They have been in more close games than any OSU team I can remember, and find a way to win. Please know this, I haven't see UCONN play this year, but I don't have to...they are superior to anyone else in NCAA Women's game. I am looking forward to their game tonight.
I really like OSU's team this year. In many ways they remind me of UConn in the manner they have exceeded expectations this year after key players graduated last year.

But one thing to keep in mind about last year's national semifinal. Stewie, last year's player of the year had possibly her worst game vs OSU, getting into early foul trouble, spending a lot a time on the bench and never really taking over the game as she was capable of.

Add to that Lou breaking her foot and sitting out the 2nd half and UConn's 19 pt win was both remarkable and could have been considerably larger.

Reaction Score
I believe Oregon St. was better last year, but their record at this point in the season is nearly identical to last year, including posting the same 16-2 conference record in what is probably an overall tougher league this year. They've mitigated the loss of Hamblin, Weisner is the one they really miss. I looked at their schedule for last year, they had a few more games w/ big winning margins, but even last year had quite a few low scoring games w/ margins of 10 or less. It's their M.O. They got blown out by UCLA and Stanford on the road last year, they've actually done better against the top teams in the Pac 12 this year. The OOC was better last year w/ games against Tennessee and Notre Dame (both close losses).

Not sure I'd even call Wiese the best PG in the Pac 12, let alone the entire country. Canada from UCLA is really good...and Plum should probably be considered the PG for UW. Not to take anything away from Wiese, she's really good too.

It's worth noting this year's Connecticut is not last year's team. Still the best in the country, but the gap between them and everyone else is not nearly as wide.

It is certainly can be debated which team is better, but this is for certain, Ruth Hamblin became a liability in the NCAA tournament when she could not guard a mobile center who could shoot beyond the foul line. If she attempted to come out and guard them, then they would drive by Ruth. Ruth's value was shot blocking/changing shots, and that could only happen against a team that had a center who didn't shoot reliably from the outside (because Ruth could then stay within the key). Both DePaul & UCONN exposed this in the NCAA. If not for Weisner, we would have lost the DePaul game last year. This current team can guard at all positions, including our bench players. That is why I like this team better than last years team.

Reaction Score
I really like OSU's team this year. In many ways they remind me of UConn in the manner they have exceeded expectations this year after key players graduated last year.

But one thing to keep in mind about last year's national semifinal. Stewie, last year's player of the year had possibly her worst game vs OSU, getting into early foul trouble, spending a lot a time on the bench and never really taking over the game as she was capable of.

Add to that Lou breaking her foot and sitting out the 2nd half and UConn's 19 pt win was both remarkable and could have been considerably larger.

This year's OSU team could go out in round 3 of the NCAA tournament, because they do play freshman. UCONN beat OSU last year by 29 points. My position was that this years team would have lost by less than 29 points if they played last years UCONN Team (same circumstances, etc.). There isn't any doubt they would have lost (by a large margin) to Stewie's team last year. The point I'm making is with this years team 1-8 players, are all solid defenders. Ruth Hamblin was the issue last year. We were playing UCONN 4 on 5.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It is certainly can be debated which team is better, but this is for certain, Ruth Hamblin became a liability in the NCAA tournament when she could not guard a mobile center who could shoot beyond the foul line. If she attempted to come out and guard them, then they would drive by Ruth. Ruth's value was shot blocking/changing shots, and that could only happen against a team that had a center who didn't shoot reliably from the outside (because Ruth could then stay within the key). Both DePaul & UCONN exposed this in the NCAA. If not for Weisner, we would have lost the DePaul game last year. This current team can guard at all positions, including our bench players. That is why I like this team better than last years team.

I was rooting for OSU and got pretty frustrated during that Final 4 game. Rueck either needed to switch to a zone or bench Hamblin, and he wouldn't do it. She couldn't guard Tuck, and she wouldn't have been able to guard Stewart either if they'd switched defensive assignments.

Is Gulic mobile enough that she wouldn't have similar issues to Hamblin? I really like the combo of Brown and Orum, seems like they provide quite a bit more than Hunter/Siegner. As surprising and successful as this year's team has been, there is still the issue of Wiese being the only consistent scorer. Weisner was fantastic last year and nobody has even remotely replaced what she brought to the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This year's OSU team could go out in round 3 of the NCAA tournament, because they do play freshman. UCONN beat OSU last year by 29 points. My position was that this years team would have lost by less than 29 points if they played last years UCONN Team (same circumstances, etc.). There isn't any doubt they would have lost (by a large margin) to Stewie's team last year. The point I'm making is with this years team 1-8 players, are all solid defenders. Ruth Hamblin was the issue last year. We were playing UCONN 4 on 5.
Appreciate the correction on MOV. My memory is not what it used to be. I honestly thought the game was closer. :oops:

Reaction Score
I was rooting for OSU and got pretty frustrated during that Final 4 game. Rueck either needed to switch to a zone or bench Hamblin, and he wouldn't do it. She couldn't guard Tuck, and she wouldn't have been able to guard Stewart either if they'd switched defensive assignments.

Is Gulic mobile enough that she wouldn't have similar issues to Hamblin? I really like the combo of Brown and Orum, seems like they provide quite a bit more than Hunter/Siegner. As surprising and successful as this year's team has been, there is still the issue of Wiese being the only consistent scorer. Weisner was fantastic last year and nobody has even remotely replaced what she brought to the team.
Gulic is 6' 5", and considerably more mobile. She runs the court on the fast break. Gulic plays solid defense, and was a monster in yesterday's game vs Cal. Brown is also a fantastic defender. Orum is solid defender. The 3 of them are fantastic rebounders, and Weise/Hanson/Pivek are excellent rebounders as guards (as good as Weisner was last year). Katie McWilliams is 6' 2" guard, who is a great defender (Rueck brings her in at end of games where it is close and we need a stop). OSU is deep defensively this year. On the offensive side, Gulic can score when she doesn't think and shoots immediately upon receiving pass. She was amazing in yesterday's game (Rueck no doubt told her to shoot immediately since she hesitated in Stanford game). Kolbie Orum has been amazing last 10 games on the offensive side. Unfortunately, our freshman sometimes don't show up on the offensive side. That is what could hurt OSU early in the post season.

Reaction Score
I have not seen UCONN play this year. I know they are tall at all positions, can score at each position, and are all solid from the free throw line. I also know they are great defensively. I am curious to know from UCONN fans, and others who have seen UCONN play this season, which NCAA Women's team matches up best defensively. Thanks.
Tulane :cool:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

Canada like her team is erratic, you never know what you're going to get night-in-and-night-out, not saying she isn't a supreme talent but she's still erratic. Plum is the leading scorer on NCAAWB history, if you discount the career and stats of Lynette Woodard, she also leads her team in assists, her scoring record is in jeopardy though, next year it could be broken by another Kelsey. Wiese is an anomaly, a PG that's a legitimate 6 foot tall with superior handle, court vision, post-up game and the ability to shoot the lights out. She does something that neither Plum nor Canada do and that's defend at a high level. I've watched Weise since her frosh year and IMHO, she is unequivocally the best PG in America. I'd take her over anybody in the country, including both Kelsey's.....

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Thank you for this reply. When you say Gabby Williams is TOUGH, do you mean physically imposing to her defender? I am recording the UCONN game tonight, and will finally get to watch my first UCONN game, so hopefully I can better understand your comment. OSU played UCONN last year in Final 4 so I remember a good deal about UCONN, but I haven't watched their team this season. Thanks again.

She's difficult to guard for just about every team out there because she's such a mismatch. At 5'11, she has guard like speed, can pass, handle the ball relatively well, ultra athletic and can jump out of the gym. I've seen photos from our game vs. UConn... I thought all along that Coates really left the ground when she rebounded but Williams just elevates to a level I've never seen in WCBB.. and she's physically strong, just strong enough to play with bigs but she doesn't need strength to beat most post players.. she can just use her quickness and jumping ability. She's a freak of a nature, and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. On top of all of that she's just relentless in all facets. You're not beating UConn with her playing her typical game... you have to either neutralize her somehow or get her out of the game with fouls altogether. Either way, good luck with that..

Samuelson may be in a slump. Collier may get in foul trouble.. but Williams is always there. She's the X-Factor.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wiese is an anomaly, a PG that's a legitimate 6 foot tall with superior handle, court vision, post-up game and the ability to shoot the lights out. She does something that neither Plum nor Canada do and that's defend at a high level. I've watched Weise since her frosh year and IMHO, she is unequivocally the best PG in America. I'd take her over anybody in the country, including both Kelsey's.....

Agree to disagree. Maybe she's improved this year, but Wiese can be turnover prone. Plum has a slightly higher assist to TO ratio than Wiese this year. UW scores almost 20 points/game more than OSU, so obviously plays at a faster tempo and has more possessions. Despite that, and having played 1 more game than OSU, Plum still has slightly less TO's on the season than Wiese. To me a PG job #1 is take care of the ball, and Plum is better in that regard. Also Wiese is noted for her rebounding, but Plum actually has her there by a very slight margin, despite being about 4 inches shorter and w/out the same wingspan Wiese possesses. Wiese shoots a higher 3 pt. FG%, but Plum has hit more total 3's this year, and 2 pt. FG% is a landslide for Plum. Both are excellent FT shooter but again slight edge to Plum. Defense is hard to measure, Wiese may be better but Plum is an active defender as well (Plum has almost twice as many steals for whatever it's worth). Both are really good and critical to their team's success, but by almost every statistical measurable Plum is better. That's not even mentioning Plum scoring almost twice as much as Wiese.

Reaction Score
No other team will really beat them. They can lose if they get an unexpected injury, foul trouble on a key player(s), and a horrible stretch of shooting late in the game. A team that hasn't played UCONN will get behind early as they adjust, and maybe can fight their way back or not.
Our front line of Collier, Williams and Samuelson is a total nightmare match up for every other team out there.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. Maybe she's improved this year, but Wiese can be turnover prone. Plum has a slightly higher assist to TO ratio than Wiese this year. UW scores almost 20 points/game more than OSU, so obviously plays at a faster tempo and has more possessions. Despite that, and having played 1 more game than OSU, Plum still has slightly less TO's on the season than Wiese. To me a PG job #1 is take care of the ball, and Plum is better in that regard. Also Wiese is noted for her rebounding, but Plum actually has her there by a very slight margin, despite being about 4 inches shorter and w/out the same wingspan Wiese possesses. Wiese shoots a higher 3 pt. FG%, but Plum has hit more total 3's this year, and 2 pt. FG% is a landslide for Plum. Both are excellent FT shooter but again slight edge to Plum. Defense is hard to measure, Wiese may be better but Plum is an active defender as well (Plum has almost twice as many steals for whatever it's worth). Both are really good and critical to their team's success, but by almost every statistical measurable Plum is better. That's not even mentioning Plum scoring almost twice as much as Wiese.
I have also watched Wiese since her frosh year, and seen many games live. She has improved every year, and s
I've
Tough comparing these 2 players. I've also watched Wiese since her freshman year, many games live. You are correct that Wiese has been turnover prone, which she outwardly acknowledges! In fact, she jokingly said after the UCLA game that she was aiming for a quadruple-double (points, rebounds, assists, turnovers). A terribly funny kid, with a wonderful attitude. In the last 2 games she has dramatically minimized turnovers (1 vs. Standford, 3 vs Cal). Choosing between Wiese & Plum could only be done on a "need" basis. Wiese is 6' 0" tall, and definitely a better defender than Plum (she can guard taller players too). Plum is as pure of a scorer as there is...if that is what your team needs, than Plum is the choice. They are both highly intelligent, great attitudes, good citizens, great character. Upside? Wiese has more upside in my opinion, because she is a born leader. She has inspired/willed this OSU Team to overachieve. Not that Plum is not inspiring, she is, but I think Wiese is the better motivator of a team. I don't know how else to sort through the two of them, they are both fantastic.

Reaction Score
A lot of people keep saying that in order to beat UConn you have to be able to score with them.. and while that may be true.. teams like Maryland and Notre Dame (teams that typically can score with UConn for most of the game) always seem to falter in the end.

In my humble opinion, the key to beating UConn is NOT scoring "with UConn" or trying to keep pace with them. The key is forcing the game to be played at YOUR pace, whatever that is.. it just can't be at UConn's pace.. otherwise you're gonna chug along and allow their defense to wear down your offense and next thing you know you're down by 20.

SC played the game at their pace for an entire half, and actually lead a chunk of the half before mentally collapsing late in the 2nd and UConn started running all over the court like Huskies, literally. In that first half, SC did not try to "score with UConn".. they played their style of play which in turn was how they kept score with UConn.

The team that's able to play at their pace for most of the game and stay mentally focused for the entire game versus UConn will be the team that beat them. I've watched A LOT of WCBB in search of a team that can hopefully do that and I've yet to see one... so I don't believe that team exists at this moment, but I would love to be wrong.

But to answer your question, I think the teams that matchup best with UConn defensively are 1. Florida State 2. Baylor 3. South Carolina. I've ranked them that way for 1 reason... Gabby Williams. She's a TOUGH guard. IMHO, Samuelson and Collier are very "guardable" (although Collier still puts up big numbers regardless). I think Florida State has a player that can guard Gabby Williams and her name is Shakayla Thomas... so I would love to see a rematch there.
A nice post. I just have one comment. You felt that Collier was "guardable" but put up big numbers regardless. Wouldn't that make her
unguardable? Just asking.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
What your analysis doesn't mention is style of play, Weise has been TO prone in some games, but not in general she is third in the PAC12 in A/TO ratio, you said yourself she shoots a higher percentage from 3 than Plum, look at the disparity in attempts? I said specifically that I would take Weise over anyone else, if you believe Plum to be the better player, that's fine, but if I'm coaching a team I want Weise as my PG. Plum is a talent, but I like Weise.... But this is a Connecticut Fan Message Board and we shouldn't be debating the merits of PAC12 players on this medium...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom