Which NCAA Team matches up best defensively vs UCONN? | The Boneyard

Which NCAA Team matches up best defensively vs UCONN?

Reaction Score
I have not seen UCONN play this year. I know they are tall at all positions, can score at each position, and are all solid from the free throw line. I also know they are great defensively. I am curious to know from UCONN fans, and others who have seen UCONN play this season, which NCAA Women's team matches up best defensively. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I have not seen UCONN play this year. I know they are tall at all positions, can score at each position, and are all solid from the free throw line. I also know they are great defensively. I am curious to know from UCONN fans, and others who have seen UCONN play this season, which NCAA Women's team matches up best defensively. Thanks.

Actually UConn is quite undersized this year. Usually the only position that they will hold a height advantage at is the #3 because of Samuelson.

IMHO Baylor poses the most problems for UConn on both ends of the floor.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Probably not the answer you might want but I really do not see any "defense" stopping UConn. They always seem to get high quality shots (most of the time) and rarely force anything. The best "defense" to play is to somehow get us into foul trouble where we are unfortunately very vulnerable due to a weak bench. The only other way is if we shoot poorly as a team which is possible but not likely since we have many weapons. All 5 starting players can do major damage at any time.

PS. You should watch a few UConn games. You might like it. :D

2016-2017 Women’s Basketball Game Replays

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lo Trader.
Just curious, is there an OSU WBB forum. Never could find one.
Thanks.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
On an off shooting night like against Tulane, a few teams could pose problems besides Baylor. Maryland (as they did when we played them) and ND (MM knows our program). To a lesser extent FSU (with a healthy Romero who missed the 1st game), an improved Texas and a revengeful South Carolina team.

Note I did not include OSU or any PAC12 schools as despite the fact your conference is super competitive within, the top of the conference is not as strong sat the other conference leaders- UConn, FSU, ND, SC, Baylor, MD. Which begs the question, why doesn't Rueck play any of these teams and then not only would you see these schools, we would see you. The best OOC school on OSU schedule this year was Marquette which OSU lost to. To be considered a top program, play top programs and win.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO, UCONN's 2 biggest weaknesses this season (that Geno has needed to "mask") are size and depth. Our post players are 5'11" and 6'1" or so. Having said that, while it's a weakness, in some ways it's also an advantage - Gabby and Napheesa are very athletic and mobile. Much quicker than the 6'4"+ players who may guard them. Still, it's a weakness that teams with quality bigs should expose.

Teams like Baylor, Texas and SC should pose problems for UCONN on paper. Yet we beat all of them. But still, to me those are the types of teams who we should have the toughest time defending.

Reaction Score
Plenty of teams match-up defensively against our girls. Coach Auriemma has even said as much, especially after the Maryland game, when UConn was up 14-15 points and let Maryland back to within 4-5 points. The problem is, no team has figured out how to put it all together.

Reaction Score
On an off shooting night like against Tulane, a few teams could pose problems besides Baylor. Maryland (as they did when we played them) and ND (MM knows our program). To a lesser extent FSU (with a healthy Romero who missed the 1st game), an improved Texas and a revengeful South Carolina team.

Note I did not include OSU or any PAC12 schools as despite the fact your conference is super competitive within, the top of the conference is not as strong sat the other conference leaders- UConn, FSU, ND, SC, Baylor, MD. Which begs the question, why doesn't Rueck play any of these teams and then not only would you see these schools, we would see you. The best OOC school on OSU schedule this year was Marquette which OSU lost to. To be considered a top program, play top programs and win.
Thanks for the reply. My belief is UCLA/UW/Stanford/OSU would definitely challenge FSU/ND/SC/Baylor/MD. May not win, but these teams wouldn't necessarily steamroll these 4 x PAC12 teams. UCONN is unique to me because UCONN is always a superior defensive team (as well as superior offensive team). I believe the PAC12 upper echelon is better this year than last year. As has been pointed out in other posts, the PAC12 offensive depth across these 4 teams is weaker than last year (exception to UW). That is why the NCAA Tournament is such fun, because it brings to surface how strong/weak each conference really is at end of season. I do wish OSU would schedule more quality OOC teams. Thanks for your reply to my question.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think what UConn has that is quite rare in WCBB is a consistently fluid offense combined with a tenacious defense. And they put a starting five on the floor who are all capable scorers (they have all had games of 20+ points this year, and three have cracked thirty.) Defensively, OSU seems quite similar, but you seem to struggle to score points and it is easier for teams to key on your offensive threats.

As far as toughest match-ups, people above have hit on them - the biggest weakness is possible foul trouble. The bench is two deep with a freshman guard (good, but a freshman!), and a transfer junior post who is a good utility player who has come up big against some of the bigger front lines we have played.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Honestly the formula to beat UConn was on display by Dawn when they played USCar: Have a big, athletic front line that stays active on defense and matches UConn's energy. Don't try to run with UConn. Stay patient on offense, execute, and minimize turnovers. The offense needs guards that have good recognition, are good passers AND good shooters that can create off the dribble when UConn cuts off your passing lanes. The difficulty in the first part is most big front lines either have size or they're athletic. Few have both. Baylor and Maryland do have such front courts. However not many can match UConn's activity level for 4 quarters. So far none have. The second part is easier for quite a few teams have good shooting, good passing guards. The problem is patience, recognition, and execution in the backcourt. Geno likes to mix his defenses from M2M to 2/3 or triangle and 2 zones. He'll also throw in a box and one. Patience, recognition and execution. UScar's backcourt falls down here, and in my opinion because of experience, so does Maryland. Baylor's backcourt with a healthy Jones, has the most qualities here, and IMO has the best chance of knocking off UConn.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Honestly the formula to beat UConn was on display by Dawn when they played USCar: Have a big, athletic front line that stays active on defense and matches UConn's energy. Don't try to run with UConn. Stay patient on offense, execute, and minimize turnovers. The offense needs guards that have good recognition, are good passers AND good shooters that can create off the dribble when UConn cuts off your passing lanes. The difficulty in the first part is most big front lines either have size or they're athletic. Few have both. Baylor and Maryland do have such front courts. However not many can match UConn's activity level for 4 quarters. So far none have. The second part is easier for quite a few teams have good shooting, good passing guards. The problem is patience, recognition, and execution in the backcourt. Geno likes to mix his defenses from M2M to 2/3 or triangle and 2 zones. He'll also throw in a box and one. Patience, recognition and execution. UScar's backcourt falls down here, and in my opinion because of experience, so does Maryland. Baylor's backcourt with a healthy Jones, has the most qualities here, and IMO has the best chance of knocking off UConn.

Excellent analysis but I have not observed the triangle + 2 or the box +1 defenses you cited. When did I miss them?

Most often, what I have watched are either M2M or 2-3/1-2-2 zones.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply. My belief is UCLA/UW/Stanford/OSU would definitely challenge FSU/ND/SC/Baylor/MD. May not win, but these teams wouldn't necessarily steamroll these 4 x PAC12 teams. UCONN is unique to me because UCONN is always a superior defensive team (as well as superior offensive team). I believe the PAC12 upper echelon is better this year than last year. As has been pointed out in other posts, the PAC12 offensive depth across these 4 teams is weaker than last year (exception to UW). That is why the NCAA Tournament is such fun, because it brings to surface how strong/weak each conference really is at end of season. I do wish OSU would schedule more quality OOC teams. Thanks for your reply to my question.
This is probably for a different thread but as I want to pose it to you, as an OSU fan, there has been a lot of dialogue on your coach being courted by "more established" programs. I am curious as to the thought and support the school, the fans and even the coach himself feel they have built and are building and if he would leave. Personally, I would love for him to stay and establish a top echelon program to rival Tara on the west coast and become the flag bearer once she retires for the conference.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Excellent analysis but I have not observed the triangle + 2 or the box +1 defenses you cited. When did I miss them?

Most often, what I have watched are either M2M or 2-3/1-2-2 zones.
Geno used it some early and late against Memphis. When Tierney was in at 9:35 in the 1st they started in a triangle and 2. What seems a 1-2-2 is really a triangle and 2. A 1-2-2 nowadays is used more often as a full court press. Geno likes the box and 1 if a guard is being particularly troublesome and that guard is played M2M while everyone else remains in a zone.

Reaction Score
This is probably for a different thread but as I want to pose it to you, as an OSU fan, there has been a lot of dialogue on your coach being courted by "more established" programs. I am curious as to the thought and support the school, the fans and even the coach himself feel they have built and are building and if he would leave. Personally, I would love for him to stay and establish a top echelon program to rival Tara on the west coast and become the flag bearer once she retires for the conference.
Rueck is an OSU graduate, and has loved OSU basketball from the days of Ralph Miller's Orange Express men's team success. OSU just had their first women's basketball sold out game (vs Stanford) which was a major goal of Rueck's. He is on cloud nine right now, and OSU fans love him. I think he will stay at OSU for a while.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Thanks for the feedback as the northern part of the PAC12 news is a bit muted. Here's the real question-can and will they pay him and be able to both financially and infrastructural support a top program ala Tennessee, UConn, Baylor, ND, SC, Stanford and MD? Those schools put a lot of resources into them-undergrad assts, media training, strength and conditioning, full time academic advisors, basketball operations mgr (and assistants). At best the top programs break even so it is an interesting conundrum. I am rooting for you, him and OSU (and Sydney Wiese).

Reaction Score
Rueck is an OSU graduate, and has loved OSU basketball from the days of Ralph Miller's Orange Express men's team success. OSU just had their first women's basketball sold out game (vs Stanford) which was a major goal of Rueck's. He is on cloud nine right now, and OSU fans love him. I think he will stay at OSU for a while.
He probably feels that way now, but money changes things. He makes $385,000 per year. An offer doubling that with a chance to triple it might take a couple days to soak in, be he would eventually realize it would be life-changing for him and his family.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good question. The general consensus here appears to be that a team with size and athletic wings/guards would pose the biggest challenge for these Huskies defensively.

I have a simpler view, that the team that would best challenge the Huskies defensively, is the team currently playing the best defense (after UConn), and that is ND. After some early season hiccups, Muffet has the Irish playing their best basketball, and that starts on the defensive end. The win yesterday vs FSU was convincing.

If the Huskies run into the Irish again in the FF, it will be a battle reminiscent of past UConn/ND games. While I am not really worried about another matchup against ND, I wouldn't mind if some tough, well-coached team took the Irish out of the tournament in the regionals.....somebody just like the Beavers. ;)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
A lot of people keep saying that in order to beat UConn you have to be able to score with them.. and while that may be true.. teams like Maryland and Notre Dame (teams that typically can score with UConn for most of the game) always seem to falter in the end.

In my humble opinion, the key to beating UConn is NOT scoring "with UConn" or trying to keep pace with them. The key is forcing the game to be played at YOUR pace, whatever that is.. it just can't be at UConn's pace.. otherwise you're gonna chug along and allow their defense to wear down your offense and next thing you know you're down by 20.

SC played the game at their pace for an entire half, and actually lead a chunk of the half before mentally collapsing late in the 2nd and UConn started running all over the court like Huskies, literally. In that first half, SC did not try to "score with UConn".. they played their style of play which in turn was how they kept score with UConn.

The team that's able to play at their pace for most of the game and stay mentally focused for the entire game versus UConn will be the team that beat them. I've watched A LOT of WCBB in search of a team that can hopefully do that and I've yet to see one... so I don't believe that team exists at this moment, but I would love to be wrong.

But to answer your question, I think the teams that matchup best with UConn defensively are 1. Florida State 2. Baylor 3. South Carolina. I've ranked them that way for 1 reason... Gabby Williams. She's a TOUGH guard. IMHO, Samuelson and Collier are very "guardable" (although Collier still puts up big numbers regardless). I think Florida State has a player that can guard Gabby Williams and her name is Shakayla Thomas... so I would love to see a rematch there.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
SC - you nailed it.

Its keeping up with UConn. UConn plays the entire 40 minutes - no let up. SC, ND, Maryland stayed close then all faltered in the 4th quarter. The other item teams need to be aware of is the famous "UConn run." That 7 - 0, 10 - 0 or heaven forbid a 20 - 0 run that puts the nail in the coffin. And the run will happen. Teams can only hope to survive it but none have so far.

Reaction Score
A lot of people keep saying that in order to beat UConn you have to be able to score with them.. and while that may be true.. teams like Maryland and Notre Dame (teams that typically can score with UConn for most of the game) always seem to falter in the end.

In my humble opinion, the key to beating UConn is NOT scoring "with UConn" or trying to keep pace with them. The key is forcing the game to be played at YOUR pace, whatever that is.. it just can't be at UConn's pace.. otherwise you're gonna chug along and allow their defense to wear down your offense and next thing you know you're down by 20.

SC played the game at their pace for an entire half, and actually lead a chunk of the half before mentally collapsing late in the 2nd and UConn started running all over the court like Huskies, literally. In that first half, SC did not try to "score with UConn".. they played their style of play which in turn was how they kept score with UConn.

The team that's able to play at their pace for most of the game and stay mentally focused for the entire game versus UConn will be the team that beat them. I've watched A LOT of WCBB in search of a team that can hopefully do that and I've yet to see one... so I don't believe that team exists at this moment, but I would love to be wrong.

But to answer your question, I think the teams that matchup best with UConn defensively are 1. Florida State 2. Baylor 3. South Carolina. I've ranked them that way for 1 reason... Gabby Williams. She's a TOUGH guard. IMHO, Samuelson and Collier are very "guardable" (although Collier still puts up big numbers regardless). I think Florida State has a player that can guard Gabby Williams and her name is Shakayla Thomas... so I would love to see a rematch there.

Thank you for this reply. When you say Gabby Williams is TOUGH, do you mean physically imposing to her defender? I am recording the UCONN game tonight, and will finally get to watch my first UCONN game, so hopefully I can better understand your comment. OSU played UCONN last year in Final 4 so I remember a good deal about UCONN, but I haven't watched their team this season. Thanks again.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thank you for this reply. When you say Gabby Williams is TOUGH, do you mean physically imposing to her defender?
Not to speak for SCGamecock, but I would suggest that on offense, Gabby is quick, athletic and relentless. She is great off the dribble driving to the basket, exceptional running the court, a tremendous passer and a great offensive rebounder. Her only weakness is that her jump shot can be inconsistent. When Gabby develops a consistent jump shot, she will be "unguardable" IMO.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Is this Oregon State(there is only one tOSU) better than last year's FF team w/o Jamie Weisner and Ruth Hamblin? Weise is the best PG in America, but I don't see this team being better than last year's which Connecticut destroyed, containing both Wiesner and Weise. I believe for a team to beat Connecticut is more about what they don't do on a given night as opposed to what any other team does. What Connecticut has that os more important than anything is the supreme belief that no one can beat them. They believe, I mean really believe that they are supposed to win every time they step on the court, no matter who the opponent is. They are relentless and they play harder than anyone else in the country for 40 minutes, teams can't match that. I was at the tOSU game in Columbus last season and it was a marvel to watch in person. I sat behind the tOSU bench and the staff and players were equally befuddled as to what to do. I don't know that the PAC12's best have any shot. UCLA is erratic, Stanford doesn't have the firepower, UW is a one-trick pony, although Osahor is fun to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom