Which is the greatest team tandem of the last 20 years? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which is the greatest team tandem of the last 20 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of court sense and determination, I lean toward Sue and Dee.

But I give my vote to Maya and Tina. When the opposing team saw UConn break the huddle and not one, but two, physically imposing and talented players walked toward them, the game was practically in the bag at that point. Maya and Tina just LOOK intimidating. And they really were too.

Reaction Score
The backcourt included the NPOY and a first team WBCA AA, and the latter would go on to win two more NPOY awards.

Having said that, Maya and Tina won two NCs and 78 games in a row. They also both won NPOY awards in 2010. In consecutive years, they finished #1 draft picks in the WNBA.

That Maya-Tina tandem is one for the ages. I have to give them my vote.

One honorable mention: Nielle Ivey and Ruth Riley. That's a heckuva national championship they managed to win for Muffet.
After further review, you've convinced me.

As far as collegiate tandems, Maya and Tina have the most impressive numbers. For some inexplicable reason (probably ignorance) I was including their total bodies of work to date, including college, professional and national team performance.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
These questions are always so hard to answer. Jen/Rebecca/Kara (any of the two) were outstanding and IMO really put UCONN on the map with the 95 championship. The 2002 team of Sue/Diana who seemed always in sync. Would have loved for Sue to get a redshirt for ACL tear and she could have played an extra year with DT. Those two are proven champs at every level together on multiple continents. Helping them along was one helluva 3/4/5 combo. Williams/Jones/Cash. 3 6-2 forwards who dominated the paint while many thought them "undersized".

Then there is Tina/Maya. I feel these two looked for each other and virtually carried the team for 2 seasons. Those two were dominant and #1 and #2 in scoring (in the same season, how about that!). You could hear Tina many times yelling at Maya for a pass or a lob and vice versa. They were a part of an unbelievable streak and they ultimately get my vote.

Some other notable non-Husky duo's. Riley/Ivey were pretty darn good and gave UCONN some darn good games. Sims/Griner, Sophia Young/Steffanie Blackmon.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
At least deserving mention, the 2005 Baylor Bears, led by All American Junior Sophia Young and Senior Honorable Mention center Steffanie Blackmon steamrollered through the NCAA tournament, culminating with an 84-62 victory over Michigan State, one point short of the record winning margin in Championship history.

"Five years after Mulkey-Robertson took over a team that went 7-20 and was last in the Big 12, the Lady Bears were pulling on championship hats after a run through the tournament that included three victories over No. 1 seeds: North Carolina, LSU and finally the Spartans."

This pair definitely deserves mention.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
When you say "best tandem" the only duo that comes to mind, aside from Batman & Robin, is Sue & Diana. They are beyond compare!

G

genosguy

ahem. Tandem.

Given their sustained success, both when together (Russia, Europe, USA basketball, Olympics) and individually (WNBA), Diana and Sue are the Jordan-Pippen/Magic-Kareem/Russ-Satch of women's basketball. No contest when considering career accomplishment, since they have more hardware then Home Depot.

To be fair, we must acknowledge that Maya, Tina, Griner et al have several years of competitive fire in their system.
Shea and Svet---Sue and the TEAM--Parker and Sidney-- Swin, Tamika, Jones (trio)--- but the one most team FEARED--was Shea, she'd make you pay with blood.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Dee and Sue and then it isn't close.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I need to define my requisites better. To qualify as a tandem, you have to first be a strong national-player-of- the-year (npoy) candidate and a top-two pick in the WNBA draft. The majority of my players were npoy and the number 1 pick. Look at last years four seniors who were first-team all-Americans. Chiney and Odyssey were named npoy ( there can be more than one) and the first two picks in the WNBA draft and could thus form one-half of a tandem if there is a match which there was, while Kayla and Alyssa were great but not npoy and not among the first two picks in the draft and therefore do not qualify. Continuing this analogy, think of someone working in a college admissions office. They evaluate students on grades, showing how they compare to other students in their school, and SATs, showing how they compare to other students nationally. It gives them a more complete picture of the students capabilities. If a college player is the npoy and the number 1 pick in the draft a consensus has formed around this person as being the best. More than one set of eyes has reached the same conclusion. But say you are a four-time first-team all-American and npoy yet only the seventh pick in the draft, ala Courtney Paris, this shows there is some disagreement over how good you are, disqualifying you from being part of a tandem as I have subjectively defined it. The ten players chosen are indisputably deserving based on college performance and professional potential.

Reaction Score
This thread has turned out to be more interesting than it ought to be. The best tandem was Tina Charles and Maya Moore. In 2010, they were clearly the best two players in WCBB. They won two consecutive national championships together. Together they enjoyed 77 consecutive double-digit wins (think about that for a moment). While playing together, they each won at least one NPOY and one Final Four MOP award. Whatever your other criteria, (WNBA draft or whatever), they finish second to nobody.

Reaction Score
To me the Criteria should be:
NCAA Championship
WNBA Champioship
NPOY / #1 or #2 in choice
WNBA #1 #2 Draft Choice

With this as criteria, 1. Diana Taurasi & Sue Bird ( If eligible today, unanimous WBB Hall of Fame inductees)
2. Maya Moore & Tina Charles (Though Tina does not have a WNBA title she matches the other criteria)
NO ONE ELSE IS CLOSE!

Possible choice:
3. Brittany Griner & Odyssey Sims (Griner will get her WNBA by Sunday & OS has 1 - 2nd in NPOY/no WNBA title)
2nd in WNBA Draft

Reaction Score
If/when they get to 4 titles .... But because they are in the same class, I don't see MoJet being NPOY. But Pomeroy and Naismith, yes. The little one and the lanky one both have a way of just taking over games that is very impressive.
But if Stewie and Moriah win 4 championships, Moriah might not be National player of the year but will be in the top 3, if not number 2. By the end of their career, they along with Morgan might be considered the greatest recruiting class in history.

Reaction Score
upload_2014-9-9_18-4-22.png

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner is totally dominating Big Syl and Chicago is struggling to find a way to score when BG is on the floor.

Reaction Score
DaddyChoc- - - Brittany Griner may be, down the line sometime, the greatest, but right now, with the performance Diana Taurasi is exhibiting in the WNBA Finals, SHE IS THE GREATEST, and it isn't even close to whoever # 2 is!
Geno is right, "Diana is the greatest WINNER in the history of WBB"! I'll amend that to, the greatest player & winner in the history of WBB!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What BG is today is the most dominant player in the world when you consider offense and defense.
she wouldnt be able to be that without a mate like DT... put her on just about any other team she'd be dominant but she wouldnt have a player like DT to compliment her inside presence

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
she wouldnt be able to be that without a mate like DT... put her on just about any other team she'd be dominant but she wouldnt have a player like DT to compliment her inside presence

I would say that the same is true both ways. There was a reason that Phoenix hadn't won a title since 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom