Which is the greatest team tandem of the last 20 years? | The Boneyard

Which is the greatest team tandem of the last 20 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Over the last twenty years five teams have had two players with overlapping careers who were both National-Player-of- the-Year caliber. Rate the five from worst to best any way you define it.

Tennessee with Chamique Holdsclaw and Tamika Catchings ( one title together, overall WNBA draft positions of 1 and not applicable because Tamika tore an ACL January of her senior year which adversely affected her draft position if I remember it right).

UConn with Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi ( one title together, overall WNBA draft positions of 1 and 1).

UConn with Maya Moore and Tina Charles (two titles together, overall WNBA draft positions of 1 and 1).

Stanford with the Ogwumike sisters (zero titles together, overall WNBA draft positions of 1 and 1).

Baylor with Brittany Griner and Odyssey Sims ( one title together, overall WNBA draft positions of 1 and 2).

Note: Kaleena and Breanna could form a sixth duo if at the end of this season Breanna was Breanna and Kaleena is rated as one of the top three college players and drafted by the WNBA first or second. This is a weak pool of players and anything lower would be disqualifying. If she is the first player drafted, it's done.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
ahem. Tandem.

Given their sustained success, both when together (Russia, Europe, USA basketball, Olympics) and individually (WNBA), Diana and Sue are the Jordan-Pippen/Magic-Kareem/Russ-Satch of women's basketball. No contest when considering career accomplishment, since they have more hardware then Home Depot.

To be fair, we must acknowledge that Maya, Tina, Griner et al have several years of competitive fire in their system.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Kibitzer said:
ahem. Tandem.

Given their sustained success, both when together (Russia, Europe, USA basketball, Olympics) and individually (WNBA), Diana and Sue are the Jordan-Pippen/Magic-Kareem/Russ-Satch of women's basketball. No contest when considering career accomplishment, since they have more hardware then Home Depot.

To be fair, we must acknowledge that Maya, Tina, Griner et al have several years of competitive fire in their system.

I have to agree for as much as I loved watching Tina and Maya together, and I still can hear Tina shouting Maya's name during games in my head when I watch UConn games, it is Diana and Sue that are the best tandom team. They are so dialed in together it was and is a thing of beauty to watch.

Reaction Score
I have bad news re: whether or not the eighties were 20 years ago...
Ah, my bad...you're right they go back to the mid-80's, Cynthia was an oldtimer by the time the WNBA was founded...I think she was 40 on her last comeback...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that while Diana & Sue were terrific, it is hard to isolate them as a duo, because the whole front court also did yeoman work
in 2001. I'd swing my vote to Tina/Maya.

Reaction Score
Didn't Cheryl Miller and Cynthia Cooper play together and win a couple of titles at USC...?

Agree totally, but OP specifically stated the last 20 years which would exclude the formidable tandem of Miller and Cooper. those teams at USC also had an outstanding point guard named Rhonda Wyndham along with the McGee twins one of whom has a son in NBA.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that while Diana & Sue were terrific, it is hard to isolate them as a duo, because the whole front court also did yeoman work
in 2001. I'd swing my vote to Tina/Maya.

This was my thought. Maya and Tina were the workhorses in Tina's senior year. They both averaged over 18 points and the Kalana, the #3 scorer, averaged 11. Maya led the team in assists and the duo was tops in rebounding.

Being careful in how I phrase this but Diana & Sue and Holdsclaw & Catchings both had teammates that were simply better than Tina and Maya's Tina's senior year. That, plus that they won 2 titles, leads me to pick them.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
geneticrex said:
DT & Sue. Best backcourt in the history of the women's game.
The backcourt included the NPOY and a first team WBCA AA, and the latter would go on to win two more NPOY awards.

Having said that, Maya and Tina won two NCs and 78 games in a row. They also both won NPOY awards in 2010. In consecutive years, they finished #1 draft picks in the WNBA.

That Maya-Tina tandem is one for the ages. I have to give them my vote.

One honorable mention: Nielle Ivey and Ruth Riley. That's a heckuva national championship they managed to win for Muffet.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
One honorable mention: Nielle Ivey and Ruth Riley. That's a heckuva national championship they managed to win for Muffet.

Good point!

It occurs to me only now: Rebecca and Jen or Rebecca and Kara (or Jen and Kara, of course). If I had to choose one combo, it would be Rebecca and Kara. Just a fantastic front court (although, yes, Kara could've been a better rebounder).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Won't be popular but Shannon Bobbitt and Candace Parker. IMHO she was more valuable then Alexis Hornbuckle that's why I went with Bobbitt. Tenn doesn't win in 2007 & 2008 without Bobbitt.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:
Won't be popular but Shannon Bobbitt and Candace Parker. IMHO she was more valuable then Alexis Hornbuckle that's why I went with Bobbitt. Tenn doesn't win in 2007 & 2008 without Bobbitt.
. That's perfectly fine for an honorable mention but downright silly if that's your choice over Maya and Tina.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Truer words were never posted.

Surely you weren't serious about Bobbitt and Parker comparing with the Diana-Sue or Tina-Maya tandems.

Or were you?:rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie and MoJeff :) Two titles already!
If/when they get to 4 titles .... But because they are in the same class, I don't see MoJet being NPOY. But Pomeroy and Naismith, yes. The little one and the lanky one both have a way of just taking over games that is very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom