Which Husky is on this “rising star” list? | The Boneyard

Which Husky is on this “rising star” list?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It’s not who you think..:

Is this an older article or just one with a similar name to an old article?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure why you would think it is an older article? If your point is, would Evelyn be on the list for her talent alone if she had not transferred (or transferred to some other program), I think the answer would have been a resounding no. Because UConn wanted her and their is room in the lineup to make a difference, she is on this list. Or am I completely off base?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not sure why you would think it is an older article? If your point is, would Evelyn be on the list for her talent alone if she had not transferred (or transferred to some other program), I think the answer would have been a resounding no. Because UConn wanted her and their is room in the lineup to make a difference, she is on this list. Or am I completely off base?
There was an article “5 players to watch in 2019-20” or similar

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
My response to the poll question about who the 5th starter would be was Evelyn. That assumes that Batouly is not physically ready for that role. I said this because I think that rebounding (as opposed to scoring) will be the top priority for the person who wins this slot, because Evelyn is an experienced college player unlike Aubrey or Ania, and because Westbrook will benefit from some time in a "3rd guard" role before she becomes a starter -- although that could happen later in the season. But apparently Evelyn is no slouch at scoring anyway.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My response to the poll question about who the 5th starter would be was Evelyn. That assumes that Batouly is not physically ready for that role. I said this because I think that rebounding (as opposed to scoring) will be the top priority for the person who wins this slot, because Evelyn is an experienced college player unlike Aubrey or Ania, and because Westbrook will benefit from some time in a "3rd guard" role before she becomes a starter -- although that could happen later in the season. But apparently Evelyn is no slouch at scoring anyway.

Even if Batouly were (and I hope she is) physically ready for a starter role, there has been little in her play to indicate she can be a starter. Of course, the "physically ready" part is a big question, made more mysterious by a cloudy picture of what her injury(ies) is/are and her knee(s) may permanently limit her ability to train and contribute. Don't forget that EW needs the Muffet NCAA pass before she plays a game. Enough people who have reason to know say Ania will have a period of adjustment between European and NCAA play. Love to have detail on that, 'cuz it is a ball, you have to bounce it, pass it, and figure out how to throw it in the hoop on both sides of the Atlantic. Aubrey is the only true freshman we have though.

Going to be super interesting this fall, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
By reading the article I found out that Stephanie Watts from North Carolina transferred to USC. Guess she just wanted to be in LA because that’s a horrible landing spot.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
By reading the article I found out that Stephanie Watts from North Carolina transferred to USC. Guess she just wanted to be in LA because that’s a horrible landing spot.

This was after she visited Tennessee. She also visited Arizona.

Reaction Score
Not really sure about that. Though NaLyssa Smith I can see taking the next step, into an All-American... imo.

On that note, I'll name the Mississippi State bulldogs that I think should be on that list. Note... plural.

Who did you have in mind?

Reaction Score
Interesting list. I felt Christyn Williams should’ve definitely been there before Adebayo. Azure Stevens spent two years at UCONN and even she didn’t exactly dominate.

I’m interested seeing how Howard and Bailey do as leaders for their respective teams. Kentucky lost Murray and Morris and now Howard will be the center of attention. Same with Bailey, now that Kea and Watts are gone I see a lot of teams double and triple teaming her now.

NaLyssa Smith is a star in the making but teams won’t have to double team Baylor’s post like last year so I wonder how they’ll adjust?

Haley jones is good as well but there are a number of players who could’ve been placed there before her. Ex, Chennedy Carter, Satou Sabally, or Michaela Onyenwere are players who could be big time stars next year. Jones played well in the JBC but she was woeful in the McDAA game so I wonder if consistency is something she’ll struggle with? Key things to watch for.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I find it amusing that the tout a freshman as a "rising college basketball star". For a kid who's never played college hoops and is basically starting at "0", I supposed you could put every incoming freshman on the country there.

I get that she's probably going to be quite good for Stanford, but labeling her as a "rising" star is silly.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

perhaps she went to Southern Cal for their graduate school? From what I can tell... Southern Cal isnt a horrible spot for academics.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If I had lived in North Carolina all my life and had a chance to live in LA for free, I would take the opportunity.

the same could be said for basically any state, but I'm sure academics played a role in her decision.

Reaction Score
I expect CWill to be an a/a this year. That is the definition of rising.

Reaction Score
Interesting list. I felt Christyn Williams should’ve definitely been there before Adebayo. Azure Stevens spent two years at UCONN and even she didn’t exactly dominate.

I’m interested seeing how Howard and Bailey do as leaders for their respective teams. Kentucky lost Murray and Morris and now Howard will be the center of attention. Same with Bailey, now that Kea and Watts are gone I see a lot of teams double and triple teaming her now.

NaLyssa Smith is a star in the making but teams won’t have to double team Baylor’s post like last year so I wonder how they’ll adjust?

Haley Jones is good as well but there are a number of players who could’ve been placed there before her. Ex, Chennedy Carter, Satou Sabally, or Michaela Onyenwere are players who could be big-time stars next year. Jones played well in the JBC but she was woeful in the McDAA game so I wonder if consistency is something she’ll struggle with? Key things to watch for.
You make some interesting and very valid points to consider. Yet you, like many others, give the McDonalds game far to much credence. All-Star games, especially the Mc Donalds one " really mean very little in respect as a future indicator. It is just one game, the opposition plays little if any defense, team ball is seldom played and any ball dominant player with a hot hand can leverage that into a high scoring game. We all remember how a certain player who should not have even been named to the WNBA All-Star Game ended up its MVP. That one game certainly was no indicator of Shoni Schimmel's effective future in the WNBA. I always say- You are never as good as your best game nor as bad as your worst. The game of basketball has far too many variables to allow using any one game as a measure.

Reaction Score
You make some interesting and very valid points to consider. Yet you, like many others, give the McDonalds game far to much credence. All-Star games, especially the Mc Donalds one " really mean very little in respect as a future indicator. It is just one game, the opposition plays little if any defense, team ball is seldom played and any ball dominant player with a hot hand can leverage that into a high scoring game. We all remember how a certain player who should not have even been named to the WNBA All-Star Game ended up its MVP. That one game certainly was no indicator of Shoni Schimmel's effective future in the WNBA. I always say- You are never as good as your best game nor as bad as your worst. The game of basketball has far too many variables to allow using any one game as a measure.

I don’t put THAT much credence on the All Star games but it does allow us to see the top HS players go against each other. Jones is very talented and will likely be a star at Stanford but I think it’s a bit premature to name her a rising star for next season when she hasn’t even played a second of college basketball. I just used the McDAA as an example to show even some of the best players have off nights is all.

Reaction Score
Yes, Williams will be great and tough to stop. Westbrook prob has the most natural skills. But I take williams over westbrook this year. Playing the second year for Geno makes a difference. It will be exciting to watch. If they all play well as a team, look out New Orleans.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This was after she visited Tennessee. She also visited Arizona.

Volnation was pretty pissed. Cannot understand this slight. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom