Which five programs bring the least to Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which five programs bring the least to Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess my thought was that football schools have to stay in, otherwise SouthFL is outta here and into my 5. So of the bball schools I'd rather keep GT, Nova, and ND as they all have other sports to offer our olympic sport programs. SJU occasionally has men's soccer and nothing else. And 20 years of mediocrity and no football with nothing else to offer is not a selling point. Football is going to rule and Rutgers and UConn are the only college football teams in town for the NYC market.
I guess my thought was that football schools have to stay in, otherwise SouthFL is outta here and into my 5. So of the bball schools I'd rather keep GT, Nova, and ND as they all have other sports to offer our olympic sport programs. SJU occasionally has men's soccer and nothing else. And 20 years of mediocrity and no football with nothing else to offer is not a selling point. Football is going to rule and Rutgers and UConn are the only college football teams in town for the NYC market.

St john's is better in most sports than Georgetown or nova. SJU's soccer and mens baseball are The class of the big east. SJU and Uconn soccer consistently at the top. SJU's women's bball is also a top program as are womens volleyball. SJU has a top 5 fencing program if you're talking about other Olympic sports. Not sure where youre getting this stuff from. In the sports that SJU competes in, it ranks favorably to most big east programs and offers as much as any except for football of course.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No matter who was involved in inviting UConn into the Big East over 30 years ago, it should have no bearing on which direction UConn should decide as to which direction it should take in the future.
UConn has profited from it's membership in the BE. Perhaps UConn should show gratitude. But, over the past 30+ years, the BE has won 6 NC's, half of them won by UConn. Whatever decisions UConn makes on the BE's future, the other schools should listen. After all, UConn is far and away from the "throw in" school many considered us to be 30+ years ago. We are elite.
Should the BE wish to be mediocre, than listen to the mediocre schools. If the BE wishes to become elite at all levels, than listen to those successful schools, without consideration to those schools that keep the BE at a lower level. Hey, the successful schools know how to do it right.

This has nothing to do about the future. The premise of this thread was to list the 5 most worthless basketball programs in the Big East. No matter what twisted logic anyone on this board uses, there is no argument that USF or TCU is more valuable to Big East basketball than any of the hoops only programs except maybe Seton Hall and Providence.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Very well said. UConn was 1 of the founding schools of the Big East. It is also worth noting it was Providence, St. John's, Georgetown and Syracuse that extended an invitation to UConn to join the BE in 1979. So much has changed over the years but because I am old school there is no way I would want Providence out. Most true basketball fans would like to see the rivalry between PC/UConn heat up and Cooley appears to be on his way to making that happen. UConn won the NIT 9 years after joining the BE.
Add me to the list agreeing with Waquoit.

I'm a football supporter as well as a bb supporter, but after this weekend it might be better to forget this conference even has football teams. Their performance isn't making much of a case they are adding value to the sports landscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom