Which 2 Teams should be ousted from the AAC? | The Boneyard

Which 2 Teams should be ousted from the AAC?

Which two teams should be ousted from the AAC?

• Tulsa

Votes: 96 76.8%
  • Tulane

Votes: 107 85.6%
  • UCF

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • USF

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • East Carolina

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • SMU

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Temple

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We can now have 10 teams in football with a championship game.

We can also have 9 teams in basketball which makes for a round-robin and 16 games (plenty of room to beef up the OOC schedule).

Our RPI would improve by getting rid of 2 Tulane games and adding 2 good OOC teams in their place.

Plus, UConn wouldn't have to travel to Oklahoma.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Tulane simple doesn't belong in a serious sports conference. My roommate went there and didn't even know they had a basketball program until he saw me watching the UConn-TU game the other week. Their stadium, if you can call it that, looks like my high school gym.

Reaction Score
Seriously, boot Temple and Tulane tomorrow. They are absolute garbage.

Uh, Temple??? Huh? Temple football is among the best in conference. So is their basketball.

Did you mean Tulsa?

Reaction Score
I like the idea of having Tulane, sort of our Vandy or Northwestern. Tulsa can go join the Big East or some such conference.

Reaction Score
Tulsa and Tulane were desperation additions. I'd rather have UMass and Wichita State

Reaction Score
Do you live under a rock?

It's a running joke amongst "UConn Twitter" that ECU isn't in our conference. Unfortunately yes, I know that ECU and all of these other schools share the same conference of misfit schools with UConn.

Reaction Score
images

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Yup. Aresco really screwed up adding those two (and for giving away our T3 rights, and for stealing UCONN WBB).

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Memphis and Memphis should be kicked out because I don't like Memphis.

Reaction Score
As a new member just stumbling onto this site recently as I followed UConn to B1G and then UConn to BII rumors...

Why not add 4 teams and secure an almost P6 standing? That seems like the surest way to secure a conference future.

Army (football only)
ODU
Buffalo
Georgia State
Should all add a mix of athletic, academic, and media marketing value.

Or replace any with UMass, Southern Miss, Marshall, Rice if you feel they are more valuable.

Reaction Score
Tulane was added for the sole purpose of bringing in NOLA's market. FWIW the only reason we have a better TV deal than the rest of the G5 is because of the markets we are in. You can't dump SMU and Tulane for that reason alone.

That said, I would jettison ECU and Tulsa as neither are good enough at Bball and Football not bring in a good enough market to justify their share of the TV $$&.

Reaction Score
Tulane was added for the sole purpose of bringing in NOLA's market. FWIW the only reason we have a better TV deal than the rest of the G5 is because of the markets we are in. You can't dump SMU and Tulane for that reason alone.

That said, I would jettison ECU and Tulsa as neither are good enough at Bball and Football not bring in a good enough market to justify their share of the TV $$&.
ECU is respectable in football and at least draws home crowds. Tulsa is worthless. Tulane, while in a large city, has NO fans.

Reaction Score
ECU is respectable in football and at least draws home crowds. Tulsa is worthless. Tulane, while in a large city, has NO fans.

Yeah but having them in the conference let's us add the population of NOLA to our demographic reach, which matters to TV execs. Let's also see how ECU holds up now without Ruffin...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Definitely drop Tulsa and Tulane. Drop down to 10, turn our $1M/yr into $1.1M/yr per school and choke out Aresco until he gives us back our T3 rights. That puts us back in the $11-$12M/yr range. Not P5 money but certainly FAR more money than any other G5 school will get.

Here's the rub, does a 9 game AAC schedule do it for UConn fans to buy more football tickets?

Temple, Cinci, Houston, USF, ECU, Navy, and Memphis are good games in most years. UCF and SMU are hit or miss. I guess Memphis can be a wildcard until we see how the team responds after losing Fuente and Lynch next season, but for now, they get the benefit of the doubt.

That leaves 3 OOC games on the schedule. Assuming we can scheduling nothing but P5, is that enough for UConn fans to get back to selling out the Rent? Hypothetical question of course.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yeah but having them in the conference let's us add the population of NOLA to our demographic reach, which matters to TV execs. Let's also see how ECU holds up now without Ruffin...

NOLA is a rapidly shrinking market.

Reaction Score

You're overrating this. There are a few schools that would kill the conference payout if they left. Cincy and UConn are two of them. This is what ESPN really thinks of the markets. SMU doesn't tick in Dallas and Tulane doesn't tick in New Orleans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom