Which 2 seed do you want to see in UCONN's regional? | The Boneyard

Which 2 seed do you want to see in UCONN's regional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
2 seeds will likely be 4 of the following teams:
Duke
Cal
Stanford
Kentucky
Penn State
Tennessee

The winner of the Pac 12 Tourney should take the final #1 seed, with the other dropping to a 2.

As a quick breakdown of these teams, Connecticut slaughtered Duke in the 2nd half of their matchup this season and has simply owned Duke the last several years. Duke is without Chelsea Gray, but Alexis Jones has been phenomenal in her absence, averaging 14.6 points and 6.1 assists since Gray's injury. Duke has a talented roster of players and has cruised to a 28-2 record, dominating the ACC and beating Cal early in the season.

Cal has been great all season, losing only to Duke and Stanford. They thumped Stanford in Maples, but that's their only significant win this season (unless you include victories over UCLA.) Strong post presence in Gennifer Brandon and a great guard and Clarendon--this team thrives on rebounding and playing strong defense because they are a poor shooting team.

Stanford was walloped by UCONN in Maples. Strong wins include Baylor (albeit without Sims), @ Tennessee, and @ Cal. Ogwumike is one of the best players in the nation, but the supporting cast isn't as strong as it has been in years past.

Kentucky's only strong win is vs. Tennessee--they have a great record at 26-4 though. Strong posts in Stallworth and Walker, and a great guard in Mathies. Kentucky lives off of strong pressure defense, forcing 24 turnovers a game.

Penn State is led by 2 great guards in Bentley and Lucas. Bentley is more well rounded but Lucas is one of the premier shooters in the nation. Add in quality posts Greene/Dixon, and they are a dangerous team. No huge wins and a couple of bad losses (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Miami) but Penn State boasts a strong 25-4 record.

Tennessee has a 24-6 record but could pose to be a threat even with an injury riddled roster. Tennessee had a great SEC season and their only bad losses are Missouri and against UT-Chat, which was the first game of the season. Besides that, losses have been to Baylor, Stanford, Notre Dame and Kentucky. UT needs to win the SEC tourney to nab a #2 seed IMO. They are led by one of the streakiest guards in the nation in Simmons, arguably the best freshman in the nation (Graves,) quality wins in Spani/Burdick and a good point guard in Massengale. Health will be an issue, but if Simmons is shooting well Tennessee can be very dangerous.

Reaction Score
MMMMMMMmmmm! Tempting!

I'd like to see Tennessee get drubbed by 25+ points. A real bloodletting.

Reaction Score
I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely would like Tennessee to be the #2 seed in UCONN'S Region.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I would like to see Tennessee in the regional, and be crushed by UCONN by 30+ points. If that is not the case, then I would like to see them lose to the 15(?) seed.

Reaction Score
I would prefer Penn State, based on previous results. As for UT...the incredible hype that would accompany the game might inspire an exceptionally good performance from the Lady Vols, but I still think UConn has enough of a talent/experience gap to win. They'd be my second choice.

Would prefer to avoid Kentucky or any team whose aggressive man-to-man D might rattle our ball handlers. But you have to be poised to win it all, so...bring it on, I guess!

The question my dad and I were debating was if it might be preferable for UConn to fall to the fourth #1 seed to increase the likelihood of a national semifinal match against Baylor (if the chalk holds). We seem to matchup better against them than ND.

I feel like ND has a unique psychological edge over the Huskies, but I think I'd still prefer to face them before Baylor and the phenom, Griner.

Reaction Score
Not really sure it matters but I have been most impressed with Cal when I've seen them. Tough and physical. KY is hit and miss but play a problematic style with our tendency to throw the ball away. Have not been very impressed with Duke even with Gray let alone without her. MD/PSU/TN about the same.

I'll be interested to see how they would justify not putting Stanford and Cal in the same bracket ala Baylor-A&M in 2011. Geography is supposed to be the biggest factor and Stanford is the closest 1 seed to Spokane and Cal would be the closest 2 seed.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Would prefer to avoid Kentucky or any team whose aggressive man-to-man D might rattle our ball handlers. But you have to be poised to win it all, so...bring it on, I guess!
UConn played Kentucky in the Elite Eight last year. Beat 'em by 15.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Tennessee.

They really only have 3 guards and would struggle with the continual ball pressure that UConn would bring.

And the don't have anyone to cover Dolson.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Tennessee.

They really only have 3 guards and would struggle with the continual ball pressure that UConn would bring.

And the don't have anyone to cover Dolson.
And they are weak in the post, a UConn strength. It would be a massacre.

Reaction Score
All true, Nan, but Tiffany Hayes led the team in scoring against UK, and Bria was a more reliable contributor last year. Who would be our key player to handle the ball and penetrate their defense? Ironwoman Kelly? Plus, she has to defend their best player? Pretty heavy assignment for her.

I meant that UK is the least desirable matchup in the list given by the OP. Stanford has to make up a 25-point margin of defeat (at their place), and Duke stands in relation to us where we are to ND, in terms of intimidation factor.

Kentucky is the wild card. The wild cards and the revenge games are the best ones to avoid in March.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
All true, Nan, but Tiffany Hayes led the team in scoring against UK, and Bria was a more reliable contributor last year. Who would be our key player to handle the ball and penetrate their defense? Ironwoman Kelly? Plus, she has to defend their best player? Pretty heavy assignment for her.

I meant that UK is the least desirable matchup in the list given by the OP. Stanford has to make up a 25-point margin of defeat (at their place), and Duke stands in relation to us where we are to ND, in terms of intimidation factor.

Kentucky is the wild card. The wild cards and the revenge games are the best ones to avoid in March.
I'm not afraid of Kentucky. Kentucky's leading scorer, A'dia Mathies, went 2-12 against UConn last year and their second leading scorer, DeNesha Stallworth, will have to score AND defend Stefanie. That's tiring work.

Reaction Score
So to the OP's point, is Kentucky the team you most want to see in the Huskies bracket? ;)

Good that you're not skeered, but who would you rather?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
2 seeds will likely be 4 of the following teams:
Duke
Cal
Stanford
Kentucky
Penn State
Tennessee

The winner of the Pac 12 Tourney should take the final #1 seed, with the other dropping to a 2.

As a quick breakdown of these teams, Connecticut slaughtered Duke in the 2nd half of their matchup this season and has simply owned Duke the last several years. Duke is without Chelsea Gray, but Alexis Jones has been phenomenal in her absence, averaging 14.6 points and 6.1 assists since Gray's injury. Duke has a talented roster of players and has cruised to a 28-2 record, dominating the ACC and beating Cal early in the season.

Cal has been great all season, losing only to Duke and Stanford. They thumped Stanford in Maples, but that's their only significant win this season (unless you include victories over UCLA.) Strong post presence in Gennifer Brandon and a great guard and Clarendon--this team thrives on rebounding and playing strong defense because they are a poor shooting team.

Stanford was walloped by UCONN in Maples. Strong wins include Baylor (albeit without Sims), @ Tennessee, and @ Cal. Ogwumike is one of the best players in the nation, but the supporting cast isn't as strong as it has been in years past.

Kentucky's only strong win is vs. Tennessee--they have a great record at 26-4 though. Strong posts in Stallworth and Walker, and a great guard in Mathies. Kentucky lives off of strong pressure defense, forcing 24 turnovers a game.

Penn State is led by 2 great guards in Bentley and Lucas. Bentley is more well rounded but Lucas is one of the premier shooters in the nation. Add in quality posts Greene/Dixon, and they are a dangerous team. No huge wins and a couple of bad losses (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Miami) but Penn State boasts a strong 25-4 record.

Tennessee has a 24-6 record but could pose to be a threat even with an injury riddled roster. Tennessee had a great SEC season and their only bad losses are Missouri and against UT-Chat, which was the first game of the season. Besides that, losses have been to Baylor, Stanford, Notre Dame and Kentucky. UT needs to win the SEC tourney to nab a #2 seed IMO. They are led by one of the streakiest guards in the nation in Simmons, arguably the best freshman in the nation (Graves,) quality wins in Spani/Burdick and a good point guard in Massengale. Health will be an issue, but if Simmons is shooting well Tennessee can be very dangerous.

What #1 see would you like Tennessee to face?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So to the OP's point, is Kentucky the team you most want to see in the Huskies bracket? ;)

Good that you're not skeered, but who would you rather?
Doesn't matter but if I get a say, I'd rather not see Stanford again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Preferably not the Pac-12 team. In order, Kentucky, Tennessee, Penn State, Duke, Cal, Stanford.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What #1 see would you like Tennessee to face?

Stanford/Cal. I don't think Tennessee has much of a chance to make the Final Four, but if they do have a shot it'll be if they get the top #3 seed and play in this regional. Don't want them to see Baylor who has won 3 or 4 straight against the Vols. Skylar Diggins has scored 24/27/33 the last 3 times she's played Notre Dame, and Tennessee just doesn't have the depth/talent to match up against Connecticut, especially in Connecticut.

2 years from now I think Tennessee will be a pretty formidable team with Russell/Harrison/Burdick/Tucker/Massengale all a bit more experienced (and hopefully all will be healthy)

Will be interesting to see if they can stack up against the rosters that Duke/UCONN will have.

Reaction Score
I want to see the Orange play UCONN. Bring on the orange. I want the orange. Let's go orange.

Kelly Faris is Superwoman in disguise!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Stanford/Cal. I don't think Tennessee has much of a chance to make the Final Four, but if they do have a shot it'll be if they get the top #3 seed and play in this regional. Don't want them to see Baylor who has won 3 or 4 straight against the Vols. Skylar Diggins has scored 24/27/33 the last 3 times she's played Notre Dame, and Tennessee just doesn't have the depth/talent to match up against Connecticut, especially in Connecticut.

2 years from now I think Tennessee will be a pretty formidable team with Russell/Harrison/Burdick/Tucker/Massengale all a bit more experienced (and hopefully all will be healthy)

Will be interesting to see if they can stack up against the rosters that Duke/UCONN will have.

Oooops. Never mind.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're smarter than you look. :)

Although you did leave a game prematurely today.

:( It will never happen again....... My only excuse... I got hungry..... wasnt gonna pay 10 bucks for some popcorn and water

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looks like TN might have played themselves out of a #2 seed today.... especially if KY wins the SEC.....

You can't smuggle in some Krispy Kremes and Cheerwine? :)

:p The older ladies in front of me smuggled in Sandwiches..... I think imma smuggle in a granola bar or something tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Is there a possibility that Tenn losing today could drop them down to a #3 seed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom