where's the beef? err.... talent? | The Boneyard

where's the beef? err.... talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Year after year UConn's recruits are ranked at the bottom of the conference.......whatever conference.

Year after year UConn is pick to finish in the lower 50%-25% of league standings....whatever conference.

Year after year opposing teams frequently set individual, team, or program records when they beat UConn.

How often has UConn beat a program with a winning record?

UConn's FBS W-L record is well below 0.500....even when you count Edsall's record.

I've supported UConn FB for 50 years.

Let's trash the fan commentary that UConn lost to inferior talent.

Where's the #%@*^ UConn talent? I don't think you can find any with an atomic microscope........if there even is a microscope with that much power and magnification ability!

Sorry about my obnoxious rant, but I'm madder than H___!

Don't tell me we have better talent in the wings, either.

Reaction Score
Year after year UConn's recruits are ranked at the bottom of the conference..whatever conference.

Year after year UConn is pick to finish in the lower 50%-25% of league standings....whatever conference.

Year after year opposing teams frequently set individual, team, or program records when they beat UConn.

How often has UConn beat a program with a winning record?

UConn's FBS W-L record is well below 0.500....even when you count Edsall's record.

I've supported UConn FB for 50 years.

Let's trash the fan commentary that UConn lost to inferior talent.

Where's the #%@*^ UConn talent? I don't think you can find any with an atomic microscope...if there even is a microscope with that much power and magnification ability!

Sorry about my obnoxious rant, but I'm madder than H___!

Don't tell me we have better talent in the wings, either.
I agree, UConn hasn't recruited well and it shows... the following excuses will inevitably be made:

The star system doesn't mean squat.
Northeast recruits usually don't score well.
If the recruit went to a P5 school then automatically add a star.
Why does Vegas have us at X point underdog?
We need coaches that will develop players.
Look how many NFL players UConn developed.

Here's reality, UConn has been at the bottom of FBS for recruiting and this has resulted in a team that ranks at the bottom of FBS and the American. No depth and few skilled players, slow defense and an o line that can't block.

Where else do you find a tackle from Europe, and a receiver from Quebec?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I agree, UConn hasn't recruited well and it shows... the following excuses will inevitably be made:

The star system doesn't mean squat.
Northeast recruits usually don't score well.
If the recruit went to a P5 school then automatically add a star.
Why does Vegas have us at X point underdog?
We need coaches that will develop players.
Look how many NFL players UConn developed.

Here's reality, UConn has been at the bottom of FBS for recruiting and this has resulted in a team that ranks at the bottom of FBS and the American. No depth and few skilled players, slow defense and an o line that can't block.

Where else do you find a tackle from Europe, and a receiver from Quebec?

Not disagreeing with your initial point, but the receiver from Quebec had P5 offers and is actually one of the few Diaco recruits who's done well in games. He'll be the #1 receiver next year.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
UConn will never get the talent that you think it needs to be where you envision it. Football is way too cultural in this country, and the south won long ago. If you're school isn't located below the Mason-Dixon Line then you are automatically starting going against the current, uphill, with 100 lbs weights tied to your ankles.

Even if a miracle does occur where UConn has a staff that can bring in the talent needed to reach that level, the powers that be in the ridiculously political college football world would put an end to it. It's just been that way every time UConn as a program has taken a step forward. The P5 shift and movement for autonomy is all about traditional football powers lowering overall risk by making sure they never have to play teams that they consider "lesser" again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn will never get the talent that you think it needs to be where you envision it. Football is way too cultural in this country, and the south won long ago. If you're school isn't located below the Mason-Dixon Line then you are automatically starting going against the current, uphill, with 100 lbs weights tied to your ankles.

Even if a miracle does occur where UConn can bring in the talent needed to reach that level, the powers that be in the ridiculously political college football world would put an end to it. It's just been that way every time UConn as a program has taken a step forward. The P5 shift and movement for autonomy is all about traditional football powers lowering overall risk by making sure they never have to play teams that they consider "lesser" again.

Well obviously like the basketball program they need to recruit from other parts of the country.

The disadvantage is the NYC won't do you any good but it's not like the basketball program would have won limited to the tri state area.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Well obviously like the basketball program they need to recruit from other parts of the country.

The disadvantage is the NYC won't do you any good but it's not like the basketball program would have won limited to the tri state area.
Both sports are cultural. Lucky for us basketball is huge in the northeast, especially in the populated urban areas we are in proximity too. UConn basketball was in an area that had potential for growth. On the other hand we will never be able to get to where we need to be in football. Being left out of the P5, now all the conference's expect us to play at a level that many of their own P5 members don't even play at. How will that ever happen in an area that is essentially not only devoid of any college football talent and culture, but actually a net negative to its success.

Reaction Score

Even if a miracle does occur where UConn has a staff that can bring in the talent needed to reach that level, the powers that be in the ridiculously political college football world would put an end to it. It's just been that way every time UConn as a program has taken a step forward. The P5 shift and movement for autonomy is all about traditional football powers lowering overall risk by making sure they never have to play teams that they consider "lesser" again.
Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisky, Penn State are all above the Mason Dixon line. You can be a successful school in the North.

Being not in a P5 is a killer, but so is having no tradition, a stadium 30 mins away from campus that is generally 2/3 filled, an apathetic fan base, and did I mention no tradition?

UConn's best chances are getting lucky on coaches, like we did with Edsall, over and over and over again. Ala Cincy.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The solution is to keep focusing on players from bad CT high school football, because one out of every 100 is a DI player!

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisky, Penn State are all above the Mason Dixon line. You can be a successful school in the North.

Being not in a P5 is a killer, but so is having no tradition, a stadium 30 mins away from campus that is generally 2/3 filled, an apathetic fan base, and did I mention no tradition?

UConn's best chances are getting lucky on coaches, like we did with Edsall, over and over and over again. Ala Cincy.
This is true, you are right about how culture is built.

And we do need to rely on getting lucky in the sport of football, it's all we can hope for true. Unfortunately there's no realistic way we can ever retain these guys for more than 2 or 3 years. It seems we are perpetually doomed for mediocrity.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Living in Florida and chatting with Florida fans, UConn's football program is ranked somewhere between girl's beach volleyball and miniature golf. This I why we can't recruit really good players. The players have the same attitude as the Florida fans. Now, basketball is a hole nother story.

Reaction Score

Those schools you mentioned are also in states that are light years ahead of the New England states and even New York in producing quality D-1 prospects. Also I don't think the stadium location is an issue. I think having it centrally located in the state probably helps attendance more than it hurts it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The solution is to keep focusing on players from bad CT high school football, because one out of every 100 is a DI player!

1 out of 100 plays at an AAC level? You are generous.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
1 out of 100 plays at an AAC level? You are generous.

State full of coaches who think they're Urban Meyer coaching top-level talent.

Note to all of you: you aren't and you definitely aren't.

Reaction Score
Those schools you mentioned are also in states that are light years ahead of the New England states and even New York in producing quality D-1 prospects. Also I don't think the stadium location is an issue. I think having it centrally located in the state probably helps attendance more than it hurts it.
Agreed on players in state.

Stadium might help attendance, but not recruiting. It was years ago (mid 2000s) but I knew two kids recruited by UConn who choose similar caliber schools over UConn and one of the main reasons was the stadium location and game day experience.

Reaction Score
I guess the only good thing about a 41-3 skunking is that it forces people to consider it isn't just a coaching problem.
Watching Joe Williams today and having seen Lagow earlier this year, Diaco needs to start recruiting like P.

I'm half joking, but where are the impact players Diaco has recruited? Peart is one of the only ones off the top of my head . His guys need to start seeing the field.

Reaction Score
I'm half joking, but where are the impact players Diaco has recruited? Peart is one of the only ones off the top of my head . His guys need to start seeing the field.

Diggs, Crozier, Levenberry, Watkins Mayala, Davis and Robinson are others.

Reaction Score
Diggs, Crozier, Levenberry, Watkins Mayala, and Robinson are others.
You calling Watkins and Mayala impact players? I don't even think Crozier is one.

Watkins when he has played I'd call him the opposite of an impact player.

Diggs is good and Levenberry is a transfer.

Again where are the difference makers? someone has to take the field. But the major contributors to this team, Thomas, Newsome, Melifonwu, Summers, Jhavon Williams are all P guys.

Reaction Score
You calling Watkins and Mayala impact players? I don't even think Crozier is one.

Again where are the difference makers? someone has to take the field. But the major contributors to this team, Thomas, Newsome, Melifonwu, Summers, Jhavon Williams are all P guys.

TBH - I completely glossed over the word "impact". There was another question (maybe in a different thread) that asked who his recruits were and I looked to check on when some of the 2014 guys committed - pre or post PP termination and names stuck in my head. I missed your point.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Yup. And this had been my point for a while, and I've caught some flack for it. PP knew defense and he knew how to recruit. he just stunk at offense and at time management.

Now, we stink at all that, plus defense. I need to go take some lithium and whiskey...

Reaction Score
State full of coaches who think they're Urban Meyer coaching top-level talent.

Note to all of you: you aren't and you definitely aren't.

Look, the talent disparity between CT and these other huge states is well known but outside of the huge programs that pay $50,000/yr to be a HSFB coach, the coaching isn't much different. Go watch the featured HS games on ESPN and you'll see those coaches are no better than the Filippone's, Trifone's and Marinelli's of the world.

Reaction Score
TBH - I completely glossed over the word "impact". There was another question (maybe in a different thread) that asked who his recruits were and I looked to check on when some of the 2014 guys committed - pre or post PP termination.
Peart looks like a kid who could play anywhere. most of the Diaco recruits we've seen take the field don't have that look.

I'll add that guys like Fatukasi and Carezola both committed to P.

If Donovan Williams is the real deal, maybe Diaco starts turning it around next year. Up until today the kids played hard. No way that a team that lost by one on the road to Navy gets shallacked by a bad ECU team that way. The team today looked like it stopped believing in Diaco's love and hugs mantra.

Start playing for next year.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

Not to mention Oregon and Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22