Where's THAT Dorka? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where's THAT Dorka?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You guys know most post players don’t play 40 minutes a game much less multiple games on a row, right?

Dorka saved the team’s bacon vs Providence when Aaliyah played only 26 minutes and was huge vs Villanova. She was big in the 2nd half vs Tennessee too. I know people would rather point out flaws, errors, and mistakes - heaven forbid a player have an off game - but this Dorka bashing is unbelievable

Kat

Reaction Score
The Dorka we saw for about five minutes in the NCAA Tournament last year. The five minutes ended by her injury. The one who played with the fearless intensity that Nika plays with. I'm not bashing her, it's in her, we saw it, even if only for a brief few minutes. Standing around the perimeter and shooting 3's at a mediocre success rate is not what the team needs from one of its tallest players. To beat SC you have to be able stand toe-to-toe when they play Bully Ball and send three bigs into the lane to secure every offensive rebound. Our bigs needs to play like bigs -- and they do. Except for Dorka, who mostly plays smaller than her size. The difference between winning and losing to SC was a few rebounds, and of course, a bonehead technical by Geno.
Dorka was fearless, repeatedly taking it to the hoop against multiple defenders. She does what's needed, even if it's bringing the ball up court. There isn't a better big with a handle like hers. She is confidant about taking the shot and she throws herself around with abandon. A very tough player with great court sense. I disagree with your assessment.

Reaction Score
For a long time now SCar has been a big, strong, defensive-minded team. And in most years they have had a height/strength/depth advantage over UConn. Despite that advantage Aja Wilson never beat UConn in her career and she was on teams that always outrebounded UConn. UConn won with offense, especially with 3 pt shooting. This year, with Bueckers, Fudd & Ducharme unavailable, height and strength won. There's no reason for UConn to become more like SCar., which is the gist of what I'm reading.

Reaction Score
For a long time now SCar has been a big, strong, defensive-minded team. And in most years they have had a height/strength/depth advantage over UConn. Despite that advantage Aja Wilson never beat UConn in her career and she was on teams that always outrebounded UConn. UConn won with offense, especially with 3 pt shooting. This year, with Bueckers, Fudd & Ducharme unavailable, height and strength won. There's no reason for UConn to become more like SCar., which is the gist of what I'm reading.
what's even more amazing Cardoso would start for every team in the country except 1, the one she is in

Reaction Score
The Dorka we saw for about five minutes in the NCAA Tournament last year. The five minutes ended by her injury. The one who played with the fearless intensity that Nika plays with. I'm not bashing her, it's in her, we saw it, even if only for a brief few minutes. Standing around the perimeter and shooting 3's at a mediocre success rate is not what the team needs from one of its tallest players. To beat SC you have to be able stand toe-to-toe when they play Bully Ball and send three bigs into the lane to secure every offensive rebound. Our bigs needs to play like bigs -- and they do. Except for Dorka, who mostly plays smaller than her size. The difference between winning and losing to SC was a few rebounds, and of course, a bonehead technical by Geno.
I agree--Dorka's intensity could stand a bit of a raise, but don't you think her playing on the perimeter was Geno's strategy to pull Boston out of the paint some? And I do agree-sometimes Dorka does appear to play smaller than her size--as ONO did a lot--but her being on the perimeter was planned strategy...

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Damn, sure sounds like bashing. Dorka is not the most athletic or the strongest or the greatest leaper on the court, but your cut job on her makes me wonder just how "large" you are.

Reaction Score
You guys know most post players don’t play 40 minutes a game much less multiple games on a row, right?

Dorka saved the team’s bacon vs Providence when Aaliyah played only 26 minutes and was huge vs Villanova. She was big in the 2nd half vs Tennessee too. I know people would rather point out flaws, errors, and mistakes - heaven forbid a player have an off game - but this Dorka bashing is unbelievable
I think that some of the critique of Dorka that I've read here is valid and reflects an objective analysis of what I also saw during the SC game. I know--it's gets old sometimes, the notion that she plays well against smaller teams, but against teams with players taller, Dorka comes up short. ,This is debatable, but I don't see this as bashing, but rather as a valid assessment...

And you might disagree, I think the perspectives are just different of what bashing is--but I don't see valid, respectful and non ad hominem critique of a player's performance--not the player herself--as bashing, and is what a fan base should do. As fans, we should be entitled to the above--if you are a cheerleader, part of UConn's PR/advancement department or coaching staff, then you should not... in these categories, your affirmation of the team should always be 100 percent positive and unwavering at all times... I think fans should be allowed to be fans: always respectful but balanced nonetheless...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno opined at the beginning of the season that Dorka would be among the top 5 players taken in the WNBA draft. Really!!!!!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Dorka did a nice job in all those things, but once SC decided to dominate the paint with 3 bigs, she remained on the outside and the game turned. Every time we've lost to SC this same thing has happened. Now maybe it wasn't Dorka's fault, maybe it was that Geno failed to adjust, but we kept putting a 6'5" player on the perimeter while we were getting dominated inside by SC once again. If she can just conjure up that psycho-Dorka that we got a glimpse of in the tournament last -- that Tasmanian Devil-like superstar who dominated, we can beat SC.
Haven't looked at tape, but i don’t think she was playing outside on D. They killed us rebounding their own misses. That’s more a case of Dorka maybe not. being able to match strength than being out of position. Interesting though, that SC had 25 O rebounds but not 1 over the back foul. Several of those rebounds were over UConn players in front of them.

Reaction Score
IMO there are quite a few college C's that can consistently dominate against smaller and less talented competition, but when they face a WNBA caliber player they have trouble scoring. They can sometimes do a decent job defensively and try to battle and at least be competitive on the boards, but a player that might be a go to highly efficient scorer against most players, can be a complete non-factor offensively against a very big strong and talented super C like Boston, Cardosa, Brink and probably Betts.

I mention those four as examples because even though really really good C sized players are extremely rare, South Carolina and Stanford are examples of super teams that have two. Dorka might be one of the top 10 C's in the country this year. That is pretty good even by Uconn standards.

But her numbers per minute, and PER ratings etc. are nowhere close to Boston, Cardosa, Brink or Betts (in limited minutes). We should be glad we have her and maybe 98% of the time she will have a matchup advantage, but not against teams like South Carolina or Stanford, their backup C's are better than her.

Just the reality of the situation, we can't expect to dominate their bigs, no reason to expect that to happen. We have to beat them elsewhere, and try to minimize their rebounding advantage, and how many easy putbacks they get. By my calculations they used the twin towers lineup with Boston and Cardosa for about half the game.

You can't just pound the ball inside to our bigs and expect them to score against those two. In fact in some ways we countered their size strategically about as well as we could. We tried to use the quickness of Aaliyah to drive by them, which worked pretty well, had Dorka try from outside (which didn't) and Aubrey challenged the bigs with her athletic ability at the rim a few times.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your opinion. Thank God that is all it is..... an opinion. I think a number of people have expressed the Boston effect where fouls just do not get called or charges becomes blocks. Not sure what you wanted Dorka to do, especially after Geno said he was not going to force the rebounding because he did not want his players to commit fouls there.... Oh and again thanks for your opinion on the T. Some of us have a different opinion and think it was a good thing for Geno to do. It might be interesting to see if they start officiating differently when South Carolina plays after the attention brought to light about Boston and how South Carolina play.

Good day Kind Person.
NEXT TIME AROUND.... things will be different (IMO). Geno is playing the 'long game". It's
March and April that counts. Not that UCONN didn't want to win this one... You could
almost taste it! GO HUSKIES.!! The Huskies have "Trust" and " Comradery" (re: see the French interview
with Lou Lopez Senechal.... a must viewing!).

Reaction Score

I love the " BIG" girl... GO DORKA!!

Reaction Score
DJ is a good solid big. Does a lot of good things and will do well against most teams.

However, she will struggle against top level talent such as SC and Stanford. DJ doesn't paly big against tough teams. She can't finish against or battle as well as hoped for rebounds against those types of teams.

DJ is really a rotational player that is having to play the entire game and take on big responsbility that she isn't capable of against these top teams. For me, it doesn't matter much what you do against the rest of the country. The big thing that matters to me is how you do against those top 3-4 teams in the country. DJ struggles with this because she is asked to do more than she is capable of due to our injuries and lack of depth.

I still like DJ as a player but she just can't deal with top level talent and size, especially if she has to play most of the game - but we don't really have a choice but to play her most of the game. That said, she will have another chance later in the year.

On the positive side, the other 4 starters showed that they can play against top level teams - at least they did so against SC anyway.

Reaction Score

And, I suspect many of these "bashers" are going to quietly wish we had her next year for her experience and poise... yes we have Ice, Amari and Jana to pair with Aaliyah, but none of those 3 has Dorka's experience.

Reaction Score
Until Dawn brought in Cardosa we were beating them and were surrounding Boston underneath with hands straight up with three players. That all changed when Cardosa and Amihere came into the game. Then it was shoot from the outside and we dont care if it goes in because we are going to get the rebound. Very effective by SC.

Boston is agile enough to guard a big on the perimeter but Cardosa is not. We took advantage of her with AE driving by her to the hoop. It was a game of matchups by good coaches. We will create more matchup problems for SC if we get Caroline and Azzi back. Cant wait until March madness comes around. We will be out of the Big East doldrums by then.

Reaction Score
I THINK that Dorka plays very well and very consistently for UConn game after game. If 3 of her 3's had fallen, this conversation would be taking a different turn. I don't remember, but UConn was not raining 3's that game and many times it was one and done. I am a fan of Dorka will remain so throughout all of her remaining games at UConn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I THINK that Dorka plays very well and very consistently for UConn game after game. If 3 of her 3's had fallen, this conversation would be taking a different turn. I don't remember, but UConn was not raining 3's that game and many times it was one and done. I am a fan of Dorka will remain so throughout all of her remaining games at UConn.
I think we’re all fans but some people equate “good game” with “lots of scoring”. Dorka was doing some dirty work that got overlooked

Reaction Score
And, I suspect many of these "bashers" are going to quietly wish we had her next year for her experience and poise... yes we have Ice, Amari and Jana to pair with Aaliyah, but none of those 3 has Dorka's experience.
Very true. I believe the talent level of Ice and Janna may be as good as Dorka, but the experience level is as different as it could be. If we could get the senior level performance of our newcomers next year, there would probably be far less concern, but the reality is both of our best candidates for a C next year, not just one, have no experience at this level.

I think we can reasonably expect them to be pretty good, but not great in their first year, and substantially better later in their careers. The problem is we will need good minutes from them right away. The good news is they don't have to be great from the beginning. On paper it will probably be our worst position next year, not weak, still quite good, only weak compared to the four other positions where we will have exceptional talent that is experienced and with amazing depth.

The floor for that position is even more solid, because even if the newcomers fail, the worst case scenario is we use two talented PF types, or go small with a four out scenario. So we won't put a liability out there just to have a C type, but if we want to have 5 loaded positions instead of 4, we need them to come thru.

I have no idea what might become available in the portal, but keeping an eye out for a true C sized grad transfer, that is plug and play ready is a possibility, and could be a one-year rental so that we don't have to rely on Ice and Jana much until their sophomore year. In other words, look for a Dorka level transfer, and if one isn't available go with the talented freshmen.

Reaction Score
Agreed. And she’s a really good 3 point shooter. My daughter and I were watching her warm up at halftime; she hit 7 straight 3’s. It’s understandable that Geno would want her to pull the trees and bulldozers out from the lane. And she should have the confidence to take 3’s during the game. They just didn’t fall.
Also thought her defense in Q1 was awesome.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's more about skill sets than talent-levels. Dorka has been very very good all season, logging many minutes doing what she does. Trying to turn her into a Cardoza clone for one game is not going to work. The real killer factor on the boards is SC having 20 fouls to spread among 4 players, and us having only the 20/2. We're playing in handcuffs and that's if the whistles are even. If Boston gets the NPOY pass on fouling, fuggedaboutit.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what might become available in the portal, but keeping an eye out for a true C sized grad transfer, that is plug and play ready is a possibility, and could be a one-year rental so that we don't have to rely on Ice and Jana much until their sophomore year. In other words, look for a Dorka level transfer, and if one isn't available go with the talented freshmen.
I’d have thought Dorka was an exception to the rule, and that centers don’t show up in the portal often. But there’s been a regular stream of them transferring from Oregon St and Florida recently. I can’t think of any off the top of my head just now. I wonder if it’s about young players choosing a lesser program for non-basketball reasons — because it’s close to home or extended family or some other attachment — and then outgrowing it. This might suggest someone like Janiah Barker could feel restless at TAMU sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom