Where Would Next Year's Second Five Rank Nationally? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Where Would Next Year's Second Five Rank Nationally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This year's starting 4 plus Stevens. We all know this year's major weakness is lack of height and I
don't see how you could keep Stevens out of the line-up. I think Nurse will start because she's a senior and has earned it. BUT, unless she gets more consistent and more productive she will be next years's Chong, playing a few minutes and then hardly seen again, as Dangerfield takes over the point.
However, I think next year's rotation may be quite different, with the current starters playing less minutes to give them a breather and Dangerfield, Camara and a couple of the freshmen getting more of a chance. Right now I don't see much opportunity for Irwin and Bent.
I think Butler will be the primary back-up for Stevens, but for certain teams (can you say Baylor?) I see them spending a lot of time out there together.
Kia plays because she consistantly does the 1 thing all great UConn players do play defense, which Geno considers to be the 1st thing. This streak started when Morgan, and Kia went into the lineup, 2 good defensive players who could guard many positions. Remember the game Kia didn't score, and was upset, and shed tears, Geno told her never to do that again. Too many people on this site worry about scoring, and not about what UConn does better then anyone else, play defense.

Reaction Score
Kia plays because she consistantly does the 1 thing all great UConn players do play defense, which Geno considers to be the 1st thing. This streak started when Morgan, and Kia went into the lineup, 2 good defensive players who could guard many positions. Remember the game Kia didn't score, and was upset, and shed tears, Geno told her never to do that again. Too many people on this site worry about scoring, and not about what UConn does better then anyone else, play defense.

I agree, AZ has a lot of talent, but just basted of seeing her play at Duke I wouldn't say she has that Uconn motor that would make her start over any of the core four.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Obviously, practice will be a key determinant. If the Core 4 are kicking butt in practice, I think they keep their starting slots. The question then becomes, Crystal or Azura?

Of course, starting is not that big a deal. Who plays big minutes when the outcome is in doubt is more important. I see at least 8 players getting major minutes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Baggerbob - super!

StephStorrs - absolutely right, and because Geno and CD and the whole coaching staff don't deal in BS - they will make the decision process and the plan clear to the affected parties and then they will follow through on it.

Reaction Score
Someone above mentioned that bringing Gabby in off the bench would be doable because she doesn't have an attitude problem, and I completely agree. But I would also like to add that I don't see attitude being a problem for any of these girls should they be in a situation where they come off the bench. That may just be me, but I don't see attitude in any of them unless it's the winning and fiercely competitive attitude. :cool:

There's foreseeable pros and cons to every possible combination next year solely because the talent will be so deep. 4 returning starters that kick some serious butt, 4 returning bench players that are all showing some promise (though I do fear that Molly and Kyla will be left behind should they not develop a ton this year, simply with all the talent coming in next year), 2 transfers that will be eligible and ready to kick some butt, and an incoming class that's just... stacked with talent. There's pros and cons to keeping our current starting 4 and starting Crystal Dangerfield in with them, and there's pros and cons to keeping our current starting 4 and starting Azura in with them - not to mention the pros and cons of all the possible combinations that arise when pondering starting Crystal Dangerfield and Azura and taking one of the current starting 4 off the bench as the sixth man. But so long as these kids get to play and be a part of the team, I don't think they'll mind whatever happens.
I
Someone above mentioned that bringing Gabby in off the bench would be doable because she doesn't have an attitude problem, and I completely agree. But I would also like to add that I don't see attitude being a problem for any of these girls should they be in a situation where they come off the bench. That may just be me, but I don't see attitude in any of them unless it's the winning and fiercely competitive attitude. :cool:

There's foreseeable pros and cons to every possible combination next year solely because the talent will be so deep. 4 returning starters that kick some serious butt, 4 returning bench players that are all showing some promise (though I do fear that Molly and Kyla will be left behind should they not develop a ton this year, simply with all the talent coming in next year), 2 transfers that will be eligible and ready to kick some butt, and an incoming class that's just... stacked with talent. There's pros and cons to keeping our current starting 4 and starting Crystal Dangerfield in with them, and there's pros and cons to keeping our current starting 4 and starting Azura in with them - not to mention the pros and cons of all the possible combinations that arise when pondering starting Crystal Dangerfield and Azura and taking one of the current starting 4 off the bench as the sixth man. But so long as these kids get to play and be a part of the team, I don't think they'll mind whatever happens.

She should be the 6th (wo) man because she is a pace-changer...she tears other teams apart if they are tired or sluggish. She creates defensive problems and rebounds... She can start a run...or kill their run. She doesn't need the ball, but the ball always finds her... Nobody has that element,at that level, but us!

Reaction Score
Good questions and nice problems to have IMO. Not sure how it is going to play out, the success of this years team is going to make it hard to change things drastically next year. Kia & Gabby will be seniors and Azura's will have an option to go to WNBA. I don't see any of those three not starting. Dangerfield appears on track to assume starting PG position, then there is Megatron! If KLS as #1 can break into a UCONN starting line with Stewie, Morgan, Moriah then MW should be able to break in also.
My best guess starters are:
F/C Stevens
F Williams
F Collier
G KLS
G Nurse

I agree. Geno stated that Stevens is a POY type player so Dangerfield comes off bench. The tall starting center to control the paint is the main ingredient this team seems to miss at times to be considered great (meaning beatable,) despite the positive contributions from Nat and good interior D from Gabby and Collier. The good part of that is that Dangerfield and Meg can come in together and build that chemistry for next few years too.

Reaction Score
With regards to the original post--that five would be about 10th--probably too young to be higher.

Next year's starting five
--first the two seniors start: Nurse and Williams
--Then I think Azura starts because she has talent and size which we need.
--Dangerfield starts as she is the point
--And KLS starts because of her range

Or I could see Collier in for Dangerfield, as Collier will be an All-American.

I figure of the six players here Collier and Williams are the closest substitutes and Williams is the senior.

Collier could be AA, or at least she is playing like it. Dangerfield does not start next year but if she was better on defense and we are looking at just best team dynamics (handling point, inside defense, post play, 3pt shooting, driving, etc..,) Nurse would be coming off bench. Do not get me wrong I appreciate her toughness, very good defense and leadership but if we were being objective and picking a team for a pickup game then who would you pick?

Lou. Collier, Azura, and Gabby are ahead of Nurse. Since Nurse is a senior and part of 2 and maybe 3 championships going into next year, no way that she sits. I am not arguing she should sit because Dangerfield still has much to prove, but her passing ability and vision is just about as good as anyone coming into frosh season. Just my thoughts on it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I am betting that Geno will start his vets- the Fab Four plus Crystal Dangerfield, because
history.
That may or may not be his strongest lineup, but that will not matter. It shows respect and appreciation for those who have contributed (think CD2) and will keep the future superstars humble and hungry, and the Huskiies will kick ass no matter who is on the floor.

Reaction Score
When I was in ha shortly before the Civil War, Central Conn had some great D2 teams. One of those years they had two five player units that played intact more or less equally each game and both very effective.
That was the men's team also.....a few bulkley kids as i remember

Reaction Score
I am betting that Geno will start his vets- the Fab Four plus Crystal Dangerfield, because
history.
That may or may not be his strongest lineup, but that will not matter. It shows respect and appreciation for those who have contributed (think CD2) and will keep the future superstars humble and hungry, and the Huskiies will kick ass no matter who is on the floor.

So when they play Texas, Baylor and SC you think having a 6'6" POY candidate that is a 20/10/2 player will not start and be one the floor for 25-30 mins? I know UCONN Women won those games this year (SC pending) but those teams will be better next year, and have talented bigs that will be better next year and what makes me nervous in this years NC run....

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Yes, 2 freshmen are not getting into the game. Yes, their progress has been slow, but we don't yet know what the next 30 games mean for them. In divining next year's team, I'm struck that several of you just assume the 3 non-Megan frosh will clearly turn out better than the current frosh Optimism is peachy, but...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That was the men's team also.....a few bulkley kids as i remember

That was the men's team. They probably had no women's team back then. One of their stars was a Bulkeley guy, Gene Reilly whom us Weaver High kids hated because he was beating us all the time. In fact, he lived in the Weaver district until junior high when his family moved to the south end of Hartford. One of his older brothers played sports at Weaver. He was a very good guard and also a very good baseball pitcher. It's a small world, because my son is married to his niece - Reilly's wife's side - and Gene, who passed away a few years ago, was in my house a few times.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The problem with some of the guesses here is some put too little importance in leadership at the PG position. As this year progresses it will become obvious that the offense runs more smoothly with Danger. KLS is NOT a point guard, and although Kia can fill this position that doesn't mean she's best suited there. Kia is the best option at the 2. KLS at the 2 next year will be an OPTION, but it just won't work against the majority of teams. Walker will come in and play well. Lexi will play well. Coombs and Hunter will play well. None will start. As Danger improves on defense and her turnovers decrease keeping her off the court will become impossible. As well as Gabby has played this year she's going to be the first forward off the bench next year and Crystal Dangerfield will start. Azura, Collier and KLS up front with KLS filling in at the 2 and Gabby filling in up front and at the 2.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So when they play Texas, Baylor and SC you think having a 6'6" POY candidate that is a 20/10/2 player will not start and be one the floor for 25-30 mins? I know UCONN Women won those games this year (SC pending) but those teams will be better next year, and have talented bigs that will be better next year and what makes me nervous in this years NC run....
I don't agree that those teams (Texas, Baylor,or SC) will be better next year. All three teams will graduate big pieces that will be hard to replace in Lang, Jones, & Coates.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that those teams (Texas, Baylor,or SC) will be better next year. All three teams will graduate big pieces that will be hard to replace in Lang, Jones, & Coates.

I respect your opinion. However, I think my point is still valid regarding when they face an A'ja Wilson, Lauren Cox and Joyner Holmes. Just because our undersized forwards (gabby under 6') have played the other teams' best low post players does not mean they should, and certainly for the majority of the game.

SCAR scares me a little because of A'ja Wilson and even more so Coates. If they play better team ball they have the talent to win, and I say that knowing they are very bad offensively sometimes. Coates is a beast when she play hard and her size, not just height, is going to be a match up nightmare for UCONN. To be objective, if NDame could pass the ball in to the post better that game could have been trouble, and I actually think Brianna Turner is overrated.

Reaction Score
CD and AS start with KLS, KIA and Pheese or Gabby. Whichever comes off the bench best will be 6th 'man' of the year. Maybe Kia off the bench-depends on how good CD is. Could we have 4 AA's next year? 5? Huh. Like a previous poster, I'm looking forward to enjoying this year til the end.

Reaction Score
I've been reading posts that suggest Gabby may come off the bench next year. Although that is possible, I don't see that and here's my opinion on that.

Gabby is a star right now many people are probably suggesting the change due to perceived lack of size. Although she may have the temperment to come off the bench, she is better starting. Basketball (and especially the women's game), has changed in which you have a post the size of a guard and vice versa. We have those interchangeable parts with Gabby and Lou. This is not the same "three tallest players belong in the front court and the two smaller players in the back court" game we're used to watching. Besides, how many teams are we facing next year that will actually have size?

I would start Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, Kia and Azurá next year because there will be time for everyone. Maybe Geno can run a platoon system like Rick Pitino did a couple of years ago at Kentucky.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I respect your opinion. However, I think my point is still valid regarding when they face an A'ja Wilson, Lauren Cox and Joyner Holmes. Just because our undersized forwards (gabby under 6') have played the other teams' best low post players does not mean they should, and certainly for the majority of the game.

SCAR scares me a little because of A'ja Wilson and even more so Coates. If they play better team ball they have the talent to win, and I say that knowing they are very bad offensively sometimes. Coates is a beast when she play hard and her size, not just height, is going to be a match up nightmare for UCONN. To be objective, if NDame could pass the ball in to the post better that game could have been trouble, and I actually think Brianna Turner is overrated.
You point is valid regarding next year's team having to face Wilson & Holmes, but Wilson & Holmes will have to guard Azura'= big advantage UCONN. Cox has a long way to go and Brown could be more problematic for UCONN IMO. There is no need to be scared of Wilson & less reason to be scared of Coates. At 6'1" Napheesa will adequately guard Coates in the post but Coates cannot guard Napheesa even if the two were in a phone booth. I don't know about Coates being a beast in two games against UCONN she has yet to make an appearance.
I also don't know about Turner being over rated she had a poor game against UCONN. How poor? She took 14 shots in the game, only 1 of which could be consider a jump shot more 7' feet from the basket and got another shot blocked by Gabby. Turner was 7/ 14 for the game= She missed 6 layups. In the Post game presser Turner said she did not worry about missed layup she just goes on to the next shot-I am worried about her lack of worry! I have been watching both players (Turner & Coates) since HS and AAU days Turner is much closer to being a beast than Coates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are telling us how Geno DOES NOT OPERATE. There is no information in that, from which to draw a conclusion.
IMO Geno stars his best players. Azura is his best player, why would he not start her?

One thing we've seen recently---all those things Geno NEVER would do---he did! Geno won't take transfers---Natalie, Azura, etc--
Geno won't start Freshmen---Dangerfield, Rene, etc---the one thing that is true of Geno and most humans--they change.
A pretty much common thread with Geno is --he's loyal to long term players--who put team and game first.
Because of her size--I'd suspect Geno would "often" start Azura--next year Starting or not Starting will be changed to minutes--who gets the minutes??

Reaction Score
That was the men's team. They probably had no women's team back then. One of their stars was a Bulkeley guy, Gene Reilly whom us Weaver High kids hated because he was beating us all the time. In fact, he lived in the Weaver district until junior high when his family moved to the south end of Hartford. One of his older brothers played sports at Weaver. He was a very good guard and also a very good baseball pitcher. It's a small world, because my son is married to his niece - Reilly's wife's side - and Gene, who passed away a few years ago, was in my house a few times.
HPHS '62 - Eddie Griffin, Bruce Maddox, Lenny Kostek. And Reilly was class. Great foul shooter, an A+ curve ball, and what really made you mad was he was a nice guy. My wife was in the BHS class with Gene, Belfiore, Hourihan, et.al. BHS only lost 4 games in the 61/62 season, all to HPHS. Last two were State and New England finals. Good games.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
HPHS '62 - Eddie Griffin, Bruce Maddox, Lenny Kostek. And Reilly was class. Great foul shooter, an A+ curve ball, and what really made you mad was he was a nice guy. My wife was in the BHS class with Gene, Belfiore, Hourihan, et.al. BHS only lost 4 games in the 61/62 season, all to HPHS. Last two were State and New England finals. Good games.
Weaver's star was John Lee, probably the best all around athlete of Reilly, Griffin and Lee. Griffin was the best basketball player, Reilly the best baseball player but Lee was excellent, and Lee the best football player but Griffin was very good. Lee was a great guy and 1st team all state in the three major sports. Played minor league football and I think baseball too. Funny thing is all three could have been at Weaver. The Reillys had lived in the Weaver district and the district lines were redrawn just before Griffins first year to move him out of the Weaver district. Would have been a scary threesome. HPHS had a great basketball team, Bulkeley was very good and Weaver no slouch. I'm Weaver 63 .

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Didn`t get a chance to see those great Hartford and Bulkeley teams although I did see Reilly play at Central and also saw Belfiore, Hourihan and another Bulkeley guy named Hickey play at Trinity. Belfiore was one of the best shooters I ever saw. Saw Griffin play for the Hartford Capitols in the mid to late 60`s with Art Heyman, York Larese et al.

Reaction Score
You know, Connecticut's Iron Maidens have just vanquished every team that's come at them. They just wiped out the #12 team in the country by nineteen, and they've knocked off #1, #2, #7, #12, #14, #17 (then), and (now) #24. So how in the world, providing that this team doesn't slip up the rest of the way, do you tell any of these ladies to take a seat, because someone who wasn't part of the historic winning streak run, who wasn't part of the Seven Games in December, or of a NC (knock on wood), should step in without having earned that spot?

Geno wouldn't do it. Flat out, won't do it.

Reaction Score
If that second team were a separate team, where do you think they'd rank nationally?

Post- Azura Stevens
Forward- Megan Walker
Forward- Batouly Camara
Guard- Andra Espinoza-Hunter
Guard- Mikayla Coombs

I might go so far as to say: #2 in the nation (#1 being UConn's first team). And I'm assuming that this year's team will be next year's starting team.

Have I got that right?

Reaction Score
If we lose 0-1 games, you can't tell the starting 5 they're subs next year. The second five could beat the starters on a good day. The key is Megan Walker, whether she can dunk or not, can play the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom