Where Would Next Year's Second Five Rank Nationally? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where Would Next Year's Second Five Rank Nationally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's interesting is nine games into the 16/17 season we have a hearty discussion going about who will start, who will finish, and who may or may not get minutes for the 17/18 season. Issues may arise from the sheer numbers. 14 players a things currently stand. 8 return from this year's roster, only Chong and Lawlor depart. We'll bring in two transfers and a four player recruiting class. Six of the current 8 have been getting fair minutes against good opponents. Only Bent & Irwin have not played a lot. Just guessing that our two transfers bring credentials that should result in them being on the floor. Walker is the number one ranked player in the country so even as a frosh you might expect her to get some time. So now we're up to nine with the three freshman and two sophs looking at how many minutes left after the front nine? Glad it will be Geno, CD, Shea, and Marissa making those calls. That said I think I will focus on the next 30 games and see how that goes. Should be a fun ride.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno would have a coronary before he got through a season with a team of 3 frosh and 2 transfers.
Right, and Geno never takes transfers yet we now have 3 on the roster!
FYI there will be 4 Freshmen + 3 Transfers on the roster next year. I guess Geno should schedule a checkup with his cardiologist?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Next years starting lineup will be same as this year with CD in for Chong.
Maybe. but then there is no need for Azura to stick around for that RS senior season then.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If this team continues to motor forward, I can't see any of the returning four being taken out of the starting line-up. Crystal has to come in for Saniya to start. So seems to me that it's a matter of everyone else coming off the bench. Understand that Stevens is a great talent. But she transferred over, and unless this starting line-up falters over the next twenty games, plus NCAA's, how could any coach take any of them out of the starting line-up?

North Carolina under Dean Smith at one time had what he called his "Tall Blue Team," which was an entirely new five-man team that would come in together. They were amazing, and only once saw a lead narrow. So, theoretically, Coach Geno could bring in that second team en masse: Stevens, Camara, Walker, Espinoza-Hunter, and Coombs. But that's not his style.

Anyway, just curious if our second string would be ranked above everyone else's first string.
When I was in ha shortly before the Civil War, Central Conn had some great D2 teams. One of those years they had two five player units that played intact more or less equally each game and both very effective.

Reaction Score
Getting back to OP. If that were the 2nd 5 (which I doubt) it would be bottom half of the top 10.

Reaction Score
Maybe. but then there is no need for Azura to stick around for that RS senior season then.

I have no idea how one is related to the other.

Stevens will get her minutes.

It is amazing that the X-is-too-good-not-to-start argument continues after 20 years when Geno has consistently shown that's not how he operates. If the BY had archives* you'd see a thread from 96-97 about [not] starting Shea Ralph. Then Diana didn't start. Then Maya didn't start. Morgan Valley started a whole regular season in 2004 even though she wasn't the best player, as shown by her not starting/ not playing much in the nCAAs.

(*Or maybe that was the old AOL board.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have no idea how one is related to the other.

Stevens will get her minutes.

It is amazing that the X-is-too-good-not-to-start argument continues after 20 years when Geno has consistently shown that's not how he operates. If the BY had archives* you'd see a thread from 96-97 about [not] starting Shea Ralph. Then Diana didn't start. Then Maya didn't start. Morgan Valley started a whole regular season in 2004 even though she wasn't the best player, as shown by her not starting/ not playing much in the nCAAs.

(*Or maybe that was the old AOL board.)

You are telling us how Geno DOES NOT OPERATE. There is no information in that, from which to draw a conclusion.
IMO Geno stars his best players. Azura is his best player, why would he not start her?

Reaction Score
You are telling us how Geno DOES NOT OPERATE. There is no information in that, from which to draw a conclusion.
IMO Geno stars his best players. Azura is his best player, why would he not start her?

Azura is very good but are you sure she's going to be the best player on next year's team ?
If this year's team wins the NC it will mean that a few Huskies, at least, played phenomenally well. Reaching heights that Azura hasn't seen yet.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So does Azura move into Saniya's starting spot? Does Kia then become the point guard? If not, then which of our current starters comes off the bench?
That is why Geno gets paid the big bucks - that decision is way above my pay grade! It is a really interesting question and it will be an interesting conversation in the coaches office deciding on the opening lineup for the first game next year, and every time it may change after that.

If, and I really mean if, Geno were to decide like he did in the 2012 Olympics to have fairly close to two rotations, then the approach might be '_____, I really need a strong veteran leader on what I am calling my second line, and I hope you feel good about accepting that leadership role and are up for that challenge.'

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, she may or may not, but getting two years of game coaching from Geno is nothing to sneeze at. And just because you don't start doesn't mean that you don't play significant minutes and get drafted in the first round and be second in WNBA ROY voting, and ...

Reaction Score
If AZ starts and Crystal doesn't, there's only one guard (I know: Lou or Gabby can play guard, but we've gone through that before and it hasn't happened except as a substitution situation). I think the lack of a point guard at the beginning of the game, when you're trying to establish tempo, is not a good thing. And Crystal is the longer term future of this team and needs the development.

Don't ignore the possibility that Geno might come up with something new, like alternating a starter every game, so that AZ, Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby each starts 3 out of every 4 games. Of course, he's never done that before, but there are 6 legitimate potential AAs on this team (not counting MW), and has that ever happened before?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
@UcMiami and I have had this disagreement before about how much Camara will contribute at UCONN. I project role player and UC projects better. I hope I'm wrong but Camara did not make the 8 person SEC all-Freshmen team in her time at Kentucky. She will contribute because she has a good enough body to contribute in the post and UCONN has very few of those right now.
I lean in agreement with you.. but Camara has a good skill set and a raw one. Geno has a tendency to make good players very good or great even.. I think Camara could be very good. I think Stevens could be great.
I really don't know about Camara and how she will fit in the rotation - but the coaches wanted her out of HS and they wanted her enough after her freshman year to accept her as a transfer so they definitely see something in her game and her personally that is worth getting her onto the team with only three years of eligibility. And they probably had some 'inside information' on her when she was looking to transfer because she was being coached by Tamika at KY and one would suspect that she could evaluate a player's potential under Geno.

And KY is not known for its post play - it has under Mitchell been completely guard oriented, so saying she didn't make a freshman all SEC team is not a surprise to me. Walker in her 8 game drink of water at Uconn showed enough potential that most of us thought she would be a really really good player, in her much longer time in KY she didn't make much noise on a team that wasn't deep in the post. Systems matter and Camara wanted out of the KY one, and is reported to be happy as a clam with her new, very demanding coaching staff and team.

(I hadn't thought about the Tamika Williams-Jeter connection before.)

HGN

Reaction Score
Good questions and nice problems to have IMO. Not sure how it is going to play out, the success of this years team is going to make it hard to change things drastically next year. Kia & Gabby will be seniors and Azura's will have an option to go to WNBA. I don't see any of those three not starting. Dangerfield appears on track to assume starting PG position, then there is Megatron! If KLS as #1 can break into a UCONN starting line with Stewie, Morgan, Moriah then MW should be able to break in also.
My best guess starters are:
F/C Stevens
F Williams
F Collier
G KLS
G Nurse
Good guess Coco...IMO.......Can anyone spell devastating? What about Un-fair ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Azura is very good but are you sure she's going to be the best player on next year's team ? If this year's team wins the NC it will mean that a few Huskies, at least, played phenomenally well. Reaching heights that Azura hasn't seen yet.
Yes I firmly believe that Azura Stevens is the best player on the UCONN roster.

Reaction Score
@UcMiami and I have had this disagreement before about how much Camara will contribute at UCONN. I project role player and UC projects better. I hope I'm wrong but Camara did not make the 8 person SEC all-Freshmen team in her time at Kentucky. She will contribute because she has a good enough body to contribute in the post and UCONN has very few of those right now.

But she wasn't being coached by The Great One. Now she is. Look for amazing things!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Eighth.

As to who will actually comprise the starting five, I am in agreement that the returning four starters will almost certainly start, say 98% chance.

Then it almost certainly comes down to Stevens or Dangerfield. I understand the cogent arguments made on behalf of Dangerfield. But I am leaning towards Stevens. Here is why:

1. Based upon what I have seen and heard, she is near or at the top of the heap re potential POY candidates.

2. Geno has commented on numerous occasions about their current lack of size. This solves that problem.

3. I think you would then be looking at playing Gabby at the two. She has shown she can lock down two guards defensively, and even if she isn't a great 3 point shooter, she can create mismatches and there are plenty of other three point shooters in the lineup. A front line defense of Williams and Nurse would create havoc. It also helps get her ready for where she would presumably play at the WNBA level - although Geno might not take that into account, and certainly wouldn't admit to doing so.

4. Realize that there are concerns about ball handling - valid concern - while I have confidence that group would figure it out, I would be ready to get Dangerfield in early if things get ugly. Of course, that is exactly what we are doing now.

I know that speculating about next year may seem strange to some when we are currently in the midst of an incredibly enjoyable and captivating season. Please bear with those of us frustrated woulda, coulda, shoulda been a general manager types. Anyone want to try and figure out 2019-2020?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Eighth.

As to who will actually comprise the starting five, I am in agreement that the returning four starters will almost certainly start, say 98% chance.

Then it almost certainly comes down to Stevens or Dangerfield. I understand the cogent arguments made on behalf of Dangerfield. But I am leaning towards Stevens. Here is why:

1. Based upon what I have seen and heard, she is near or at the top of the heap re potential POY candidates.

2. Geno has commented on numerous occasions about their current lack of size. This solves that problem.

3. I think you would then be looking at playing Gabby at the two. She has shown she can lock down two guards defensively, and even if she isn't a great 3 point shooter, she can create mismatches and there are plenty of other three point shooters in the lineup. A front line defense of Williams and Nurse would create havoc. It also helps get her ready for where she would presumably play at the WNBA level - although Geno might not take that into account, and certainly wouldn't admit to doing e BYso.

4. Realize that there are concerns about ball handling - valid concern - while I have confidence that group would figure it out, I would be ready to get Dangerfield in early if things get ugly. Of course, that is exactly what we are doing now.

I know that speculating about next year may seem strange to some when we are currently in the midst of an incredibly enjoyable and captivating season. Please bear with those of us frustrated woulda, coulda, shoulda been a general manager types. Anyone want to try and figure out 2019-2020?
Wonderful & well balanced post. Just one minor problem-cogent arguments? Surely not on the BY.

Reaction Score
With regards to the original post--that five would be about 10th--probably too young to be higher.

Next year's starting five
--first the two seniors start: Nurse and Williams
--Then I think Azura starts because she has talent and size which we need.
--Dangerfield starts as she is the point
--And KLS starts because of her range

Or I could see Collier in for Dangerfield, as Collier will be an All-American.

I figure of the six players here Collier and Williams are the closest substitutes and Williams is the senior.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geez people 1) we got all summer to do this, enjoy this year (how many music threads you think Wire and I can do?) 2) teams are not ranked by their starting 5, they are ranked for the whole team.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The answer to the first question is based on who coached them. Geno? Top five.

Thoughts about next year's lineup.

1. Let's say that Crystal Dangerfield makes the jump Collier and Lou made their sophomore year which means she cuts down her turnovers and improves her defense. She has to start. The other four would be matchup nightmares. Geno is like everybody else, if he has high quality point guard play, he has to take advantage of it.

2. Kia to me is the odd person out. She is great at 2 and just ok at 1. No slight at all. Just the other four are better.

3. How Walker fits is just as interesting as Stevens. She might have Maya or Stewie talent. From the tape I saw, she would be in the top seven this year.

4. If Camera is better than Nat, that makes Nat at least 9. I think her time will be significantly less next year and it has nothing to do with her development.

5. I worry about Bent and Irwin. Again, nothing against them but when are they going to play?

6. The other three freshmen are intriguing. I know UConn doesn't like to redshirt but would they consider redshirting one or more of these three?

7. No way they stay at 14. Something has to give. Transfer numbers seem to be on the rise in WCBB. I don't think the Huskies will be immune.

8. Somebody said that most teams would kill for these types of problems. Actually, putting these pieces together will be really difficult. Can you imagine telling a three year starter that she isn't going to start her senior year? Somebody who is an Olympian? No thanks.

9. I don't think 5 in, 5 out rotations ever work. I think Geno should sub like he always does. Players earn time when teammates trust you, you guard, you rebound, you share the ball.

10. Let's hope that everybody stays injury-free. I am really enjoying this year. I am not sure next year can top it.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Yes I firmly believe that Azura Stevens is the best player on the UCONN roster.

AMEN !!!

was Stewie 2.0 ( at 6'6" ) last year in a skiddish situation
( 18.9 Points, 9.6 Rebounds, 2.1 Blocks )

add enhanced player development, stronger...coached by the G.O.A.T and surrounded by Winning players / Studs

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Azura best player on the team next year? I say it'll be Collier.

I do think Azura starts, Crystal starts, and Gabby is 6th-woman. Walker 7th. Butler 8th.

Lessee, that leaves six players vying for the 9th spot, and hoping Geno inclines to a 9-woman rotation.

I don't know about 2nd-five, but I'll bet Mikayla, Andi, Lexi, Megan, and Batouly, with Molly and Kyla coming off the bench, would beat a lot of people. Probably finish third in the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom