Where Would Next Year's Second Five Rank Nationally? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where Would Next Year's Second Five Rank Nationally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd like to propose a title for next season's reality show...
Full House: Welcome to Storrs.

It's almost insane to think that the team will be so loaded in the near future. I'm incredibly impressed. There's an abundance of options and there's more than a few ways this turns out. It's hard for me to see a situation where the returning four don't start, but it's also hard for me to see a situation where Stevens and Crystal Dangerfield don't start - provided they both progress and are ready to start next season, which I expect to be the case.

I'm so glad I'm not Geno.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Az has decent ball handing skills for a player her size, I remember her crossing KML in the open court on a duke transition play during her freshmen year . It's possible Nurse, Lou, and Stevens could all share ball handing duties, if she gets the starting nod next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eighth.

As to who will actually comprise the starting five, I am in agreement that the returning four starters will almost certainly start, say 98% chance.

Then it almost certainly comes down to Stevens or Dangerfield. I understand the cogent arguments made on behalf of Dangerfield. But I am leaning towards Stevens. Here is why:

1. Based upon what I have seen and heard, she is near or at the top of the heap re potential POY candidates.

2. Geno has commented on numerous occasions about their current lack of size. This solves that problem.

3. I think you would then be looking at playing Gabby at the two. She has shown she can lock down two guards defensively, and even if she isn't a great 3 point shooter, she can create mismatches and there are plenty of other three point shooters in the lineup. A front line defense of Williams and Nurse would create havoc. It also helps get her ready for where she would presumably play at the WNBA level - although Geno might not take that into account, and certainly wouldn't admit to doing so.

4. Realize that there are concerns about ball handling - valid concern - while I have confidence that group would figure it out, I would be ready to get Dangerfield in early if things get ugly. Of course, that is exactly what we are doing now.

I know that speculating about next year may seem strange to some when we are currently in the midst of an incredibly enjoyable and captivating season. Please bear with those of us frustrated woulda, coulda, shoulda been a general manager types. Anyone want to try and figure out 2019-2020?
Nice ... but - Geno loves and values a PG more than any other position on the floor, and starting the four returning starters and Stevens leaves him without his PG - yes Nurse and or Samuelson could sort of handle it, but it decreases either of their potential in more natural position.

If Dangerfield progresses as we all expect her to, she will be the best player on the team to start at PG. I just don't see Geno putting a starting lineup on the floor without a really good PG if he has one available on the team.

I agree about the height being an issue, and about moving a current starter to the bench being an issue as well, but I think he is going to have to choose one of those options and make it work. And like last year where they experimented with a few different starters before settling on Lou, the same could happen next year until they find the right mix to start and to be the first off the bench.

I think these players are all selfless enough, that while they all want to start, they would find a positive side to coming off the bench - and I think that includes Stevens. Team goals are really strong for them all, so I think their egos or pride or whatever you want to call it would make this work if they understand and see the benefits to the team. No one is saying any of these players wouldn't be a huge part of the rotation and would get serious minutes, and they can count to five and realize there are a couple players beyond that will 'deserve to start'.

Reaction Score
If that second team were a separate team, where do you think they'd rank nationally?

Post- Azura Stevens
Forward- Megan Walker
Forward- Batouly Camara
Guard- Andra Espinoza-Hunter
Guard- Mikayla Coombs

I might go so far as to say: #2 in the nation (#1 being UConn's first team). And I'm assuming that this year's team will be next year's starting team.

Have I got that right?
Stevens will be a starter next year. She should be 1st team AA and Top 3 for POY.

Reaction Score
Yes I firmly believe that Azura Stevens is the best player on the UCONN roster.

That's what makes horse races.
As good as Azura is, I think she'll be 3rd or 4th best on the team next year.
She's not as good all around as Gabby or Collier and not as good an offensive player as Lou.

Reaction Score
It would be crazy to have Azura' come off the bench next year.. unless ya'll already have a stretch-PF/C that's better.

Agreed, nomwaynwould I have Stevens come off the bench. She's too much of a talent to keep on the bench. I would have her starting along with KLS (G), Napheesa (F), Gabby (F), and Kia (G).
With LilCD (G), Megan (G/F), Camara (F), Butler (C) and any of the freshman guards (AEH, Coombs)

I apologize in advance if this have been discussed earlier in the thread as I stopped at this post to reply.

Reaction Score
Well, she may or may not, but getting two years of game coaching from Geno is nothing to sneeze at. And just because you don't start doesn't mean that you don't play significant minutes and get drafted in the first round and be second in WNBA ROY voting, and ...

Stevens is going to be starting IMO. Geno's own words were "if she stays 2 years she will be the #1 or #2 pick." That means Geno thinks she is so good that she might not even need to stay both years and be a top 5 pick, as there is little point in leaving early if you're not going high or have injury history and don't want to risk another one. Steven's can do Stewie like things. She will be starting. I see the starting 5 with no pure PG just like the current starting 5. The only thing that might change that is if Dangerfield makes her way into the stating 5 later this season and impresses in the important games..ie...Conf and NCAA tourney. Even then I could see Geno not in a hurry with Crystal b/c the team will be so stacked they will be fine without a pure PG to run the show.

Next year is going to be the opposite problem of the last few years. Recently the team has gone only 7 or maybe 8 deep. This year starting 5 and then just Crystal and Natalie(situational to match bigs or short rest for Pheesa and Gabby). Next year the team will be 10+ deep. I see Nats time going down, Bent and Irwin last off the bench. It's been a while since the roster has been 14 active players and there are legit hard decisions to be made on the possible starting 5.

Reaction Score
Why?

What is significance of Azura's being a transfer? Azura' is the most talented player on the UCONN roster, Geno starts his most talented players. A coach might take any player out of the starting lineup because a) Coach has a more talented player to put in or b) the inserted player improves the overall efficiency of the team. During the 2012-13 Season Bria Hartley (already an AA) was taken out of the lineup after she convinced the staff that that was best for the team.
Suspect it will all defend on performance in practice. Who ever produces based on Geno's practice goals will play most minutes and likely start.

Reaction Score
This year's starting 4 plus Stevens. We all know this year's major weakness is lack of height and I
don't see how you could keep Stevens out of the line-up. I think Nurse will start because she's a senior and has earned it. BUT, unless she gets more consistent and more productive she will be next years's Chong, playing a few minutes and then hardly seen again, as Dangerfield takes over the point.
However, I think next year's rotation may be quite different, with the current starters playing less minutes to give them a breather and Dangerfield, Camara and a couple of the freshmen getting more of a chance. Right now I don't see much opportunity for Irwin and Bent.
I think Butler will be the primary back-up for Stevens, but for certain teams (can you say Baylor?) I see them spending a lot of time out there together.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It would be crazy to have Azura' come off the bench next year.. unless ya'll already have a stretch-PF/C that's better.
It's a real dilemma! Maya did not start until Kalana Greene got hurt, even though it was obvious that Maya was a top player from Day 1--and Maya finished second in the AP NPOY voting as a freshman. This situation seems similar, except we have both Azura and Megan being the studs-in-waiting. Trust me, Azura will get major minutes, whether she starts or not.

Maybe Azura will start, partly because she is the best option for the opening tip. Then Crystal becomes the first sub.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno will manage and advise Azura in such a way as to try to get her to stay for TWO years. He says she will be the top pick IF she stays.

Three years of being coached by Geno, including actively playing two of them, will help Azura prepare for the next level.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Nice ... but - Geno loves and values a PG more than any other position on the floor, and starting the four returning starters and Stevens leaves him without his PG - yes Nurse and or Samuelson could sort of handle it, but it decreases either of their potential in more natural position.

If Dangerfield progresses as we all expect her to, she will be the best player on the team to start at PG. I just don't see Geno putting a starting lineup on the floor without a really good PG if he has one available on the team.

I agree about the height being an issue, and about moving a current starter to the bench being an issue as well, but I think he is going to have to choose one of those options and make it work. And like last year where they experimented with a few different starters before settling on Lou, the same could happen next year until they find the right mix to start and to be the first off the bench.

I think these players are all selfless enough, that while they all want to start, they would find a positive side to coming off the bench - and I think that includes Stevens. Team goals are really strong for them all, so I think their egos or pride or whatever you want to call it would make this work if they understand and see the benefits to the team. No one is saying any of these players wouldn't be a huge part of the rotation and would get serious minutes, and they can count to five and realize there are a couple players beyond that will 'deserve to start'.

KLS belongs nowhere near PG position

veryy confident both Crystal & Azura will be starters next yr.
as will KLS & Napheesa

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
KLS belongs nowhere near PG position

veryy confident both Crystal & Azura will be starters next yr.
as will KLS & Napheesa
She does get used sometimes - especially against full court pressure as the main player bringing the ball up, and the way Geno rotates players responsibilities within offensive sets and from set to set in the half court, she has performed some PG like duties (as Maya has with the Olympic team) but I agree - you lose a bunch of her game by putting that on her, and you get a PG who isn't great - weakening two out of five positions on the floor for no good reason when you have Crystal, and Coombs/AEH coming in. I feel the same way about trying to shoehorn Nurse into the role - not really a natural position for her.

I do think it is going to be fascinating to see how it all works out because so far, Napheesa, Lou, Gabby, and Kia are all playing brilliantly as starters, but how do you not start Azura with her size and skill, when that size is the missing piece in the starting rotation this year, and not start Crystal at point guard which is the starter who you are graduating.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Wonderful & well balanced post. Just one minor problem-cogent arguments? Surely not on the BY.

Thanks for the cudos, Coco. (Say 5x fast.)

Should I have said "surprisingly" cogent? lol ;)

I can see the argument for starting both Stevens and Dangerfield next year, but it would mean either Nurse or Williams does not start. Nurse has never lost as a starter, and wrong time post-ND to suggest Gabby take a seat. Also I was at the open practice on November 27, and no mistaking the two leaders there. So it will be interesting to see how Geno navigates this.

How about a return to 6 on 6 basketball?

Reaction Score
I could see Gabby coming off the bench next year as the 6th man because she will fill in for anyone and still get her minutes. With her abilities she would be the ultimate game changer! With Kia starting you have 2 players who handle the ball and it will be like Bria and Moriah in 14. I dont think coming off the bench will bother Gabby mentally at all and she will still be the leader of the team. Geno did that in 2000 with Paige Sauer and Stacy Hansmeyer there SR. year. He said he needed to Schumaker and Play Cash, Jones and Williams. They were 2 yr. starters but were okay with it and just wanted a NC!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby would probably be ok with being the first player off the bench. She has ZERO attitude problem. Kiah Stokes did pretty well in the draft and the WNBA for a non-starter.

Reaction Score
IMO Stevens will start. UCONN needs the size.
I lean towards Gabby the 1st off the bench but it is a small lean. Gabby impacts the game like John Havlicek. Though I could also understand Danger off the bench.

Reaction Score
In the last two games, ND and Kansas State, the UConn players have had to sustain as many as 40 minutes of play with a handicap of time based upon fouls of key players. Our people, at times, did look tired. With wealth of choice next year, I can see platooning players all season long training new guards and developing strengths on the inside. As I said earlier, this is a good problem. Fresh legs on the floor will wear down opposition without dropping the intensity and skill of play. Wouldn't it be a good thing if Batouly Comara and Megan Walker come in and give Collier and Samuelson a break?

Reaction Score
You don't want Lou as the facilitator. She needs to move around so she can get the ball and shoot the 3, pull up for a 2 or drive to the basket. Gabby being on the foul line opens up the lane for her to drive or Pheesa to cut. It's working well. No sense in changing it. Also, Lou can pass.

Reaction Score
Good questions and nice problems to have IMO. Not sure how it is going to play out, the success of this years team is going to make it hard to change things drastically next year. Kia & Gabby will be seniors and Azura's will have an option to go to WNBA. I don't see any of those three not starting. Dangerfield appears on track to assume starting PG position, then there is Megatron! If KLS as #1 can break into a UCONN starting line with Stewie, Morgan, Moriah then MW should be able to break in also.
My best guess starters are:
F/C Stevens
F Williams
F Collier
G KLS
G Nurse

On next years team...Gabby is Havlicek... she is Cazzie Russell (as a Warrior)... the best 6th (wo)man in the nation...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Azura.jpg
That's what makes horse races.
As good as Azura is, I think she'll be 3rd or 4th best on the team next year.
She's not as good all around as Gabby or Collier and not as good an offensive player as Lou.
This is still basketball Azura @ 6'6" can do things standing still that both Gabby & Napheesa have to jump do because she is 7" taller than Gabby and 5" taller than Napheesa.

Reaction Score
Someone above mentioned that bringing Gabby in off the bench would be doable because she doesn't have an attitude problem, and I completely agree. But I would also like to add that I don't see attitude being a problem for any of these girls should they be in a situation where they come off the bench. That may just be me, but I don't see attitude in any of them unless it's the winning and fiercely competitive attitude. :cool:

There's foreseeable pros and cons to every possible combination next year solely because the talent will be so deep. 4 returning starters that kick some serious butt, 4 returning bench players that are all showing some promise (though I do fear that Molly and Kyla will be left behind should they not develop a ton this year, simply with all the talent coming in next year), 2 transfers that will be eligible and ready to kick some butt, and an incoming class that's just... stacked with talent. There's pros and cons to keeping our current starting 4 and starting Crystal Dangerfield in with them, and there's pros and cons to keeping our current starting 4 and starting Azura in with them - not to mention the pros and cons of all the possible combinations that arise when pondering starting Crystal Dangerfield and Azura and taking one of the current starting 4 off the bench as the sixth man. But so long as these kids get to play and be a part of the team, I don't think they'll mind whatever happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom