Where we're at without Westbrook | The Boneyard

Where we're at without Westbrook

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just thinkin over the holiday weekend as I sit here with a bad cold. If Westbrook was eligible where we would be? Well she averaged 14 pts a game last season so that would take care of our 5th starter averaging double digets but lets look at the other side. Everybody else might see limited time and would not be developing like they are now. We are undefeated and we wouldve still been undefeated. Having Mak Griff Molly Kyla and the rest being developed I think is the better senario. Westbrook most likely wouldve made a difference in the big games like DePaul SC Baylor Oregon. However if everybody else continues to get better I think we are better off in March and next season.

So looking ahead to next season. Dangerfield Irwin Adebayo and Bent graduate and Westbrook can play and everybody has experience and knows the system. So next season we have an experienced bench. We only have to replace Dangerfield in the starting lineup. We also have a big class coming in that will need to gain experience. Geno will be able to play them without concern as we will be 7-8 deep with experience. Thats huge. Just like this season our incoming class next season will need time to learn they system and be developed. We should be good enough next season as not to have to worry about that. Next years freshman class will be able to play without the pressure this years class is experienceing. IMO we will be the team to beat next season and beyond.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think Evina would have eaten as many minutes as suggested. There would be more balanced rotation and between CW, CD and Anna although I suppose Anna with her cold shooting start may have had a harder time righting the ship and her minutes would be a bit less. I think Kyla and Aubrey would have been about the same. Only Molly would be greatly affected

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Things happen for a reason. I never thought Westbrook's waiver would be approved. With only 9 players on roster, this team cannot absorb any long term injuries to its starters, especially Liv. The reserves are forced to step up this season. Absolutely no room for cheerleaders on this year's team. Everyone plays, everyone contributes. Everyone will be counted on to contribute something every night. Molly has already had to start a game this season. It may not be her last depending on how Chrystal's back holds up.

UConn only plays 4 games in December - @Seton Hall (5th), Notre Dame (8th), @DePaul (16th) and Oklahoma (22nd @Mohegan Sun Arena).

This leaves plenty of time for everyone to get healthy, to work on individual and team deficiencies at practice, and going home for the holidays before beginning conference play. UConn won't reach the halfway point of their schedule until January 14th (game #15/29) @ Memphis.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
With only 9 players on roster, this team cannot absorb any long term injuries to its starters, especially Liv.
UConn only plays 4 games in December. @Seton Hall (5th), Notre Dame (8th), @DePaul (16th) and Oklahoma (22nd - Mohegan Sun Arena).

This leaves plenty of time for healing up all woulds and nicks, working on individual and team deficiencies at practice, and going home for the holidays before beginning the second half of the season, and conference play.
And time for taking exams,too.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seems like a rationalization to me
Evina has the ability to be an all-star
Her potential scoring would have made us a very much more dangerous team
If it means the end of the bench saw less action: so be it.

Sorry you're ill, Tony, take care...seems like cold and flu season is starting early
I'm recently out of the hospital with the open heart deal. No time for me to get sick

Reaction Score
Evina can be the starting point guard the next 2 years. She will know the plays; and her knee will have time to fully heal. I hope the year of watching will be beneficial to her.

Reaction Score
Evina can be the starting point guard the next 2 years. She will know the plays; and her knee will have time to fully heal. I hope the year of watching will be beneficial to her.

I have a feeling that Westbrook will play next year and then leave with Walker and her original graduating class. Bueckers is also going to compete for major minutes at PG.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that Westbrook will play next year and then leave with Walker and her original graduating class. Bueckers is also going to compete for major minutes at PG.
I agree, but only if she has an outstanding season.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I she gets a ring and/or AA status. She would probably go. Without either one of those, there is more of a possibility of two years playing.

Reaction Score
I believe Paige will be our starting point guard next year. Evina will almost certainly start, but I doubt it will be as point guard. Jmo!

Reaction Score

I, too, suspect that Evina will be here for one year and then head for the WNBA. Others have done the same (think: Z). BUT Westbrook's success next year will determine her professional prospects, so she'd better do well. Which brings me to her likely position: not PG, but wing. She can put up numbers shooting and leave ball-handling to Paige and Christyn. Meg won't have to shoot from distance so much next year because there's abundant range on the perimeter. Walker is strong, can make short jumpers, drive to the hoop, and rebound with Liv. I agree with Tony: we're going be to a helluva team next year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She’s very good. Tennessee was strange choice for her, but she liked something there. We’d be a much more flexible team this year with her. Two years would be nice.

A much better team. And Westbrook would be assured of playing both years and having experience in the system going into 2020. Don't think there's any way to argue her not playing is the better outcome.

Reaction Score
A much better team. And Westbrook would be assured of playing both years and having experience in the system going into 2020. Don't think there's any way to argue her not playing is the better outcome.
Yup. She's probably gone after next year, unless she is still hampered by her injury & doesnt put up the numbers for her to get drafted.

Reaction Score
Just thinkin over the holiday weekend as I sit here with a bad cold. If Westbrook was eligible where we would be? Well she averaged 14 pts a game last season so that would take care of our 5th starter averaging double digets but lets look at the other side. Everybody else might see limited time and would not be developing like they are now. We are undefeated and we wouldve still been undefeated. Having Mak Griff Molly Kyla and the rest being developed I think is the better senario. Westbrook most likely wouldve made a difference in the big games like DePaul SC Baylor Oregon. However if everybody else continues to get better I think we are better off in March and next season.

So looking ahead to next season. Dangerfield Irwin Adebayo and Bent graduate and Westbrook can play and everybody has experience and knows the system. So next season we have an experienced bench. We only have to replace Dangerfield in the starting lineup. We also have a big class coming in that will need to gain experience. Geno will be able to play them without concern as we will be 7-8 deep with experience. Thats huge. Just like this season our incoming class next season will need time to learn they system and be developed. We should be good enough next season as not to have to worry about that. Next years freshman class will be able to play without the pressure this years class is experienceing. IMO we will be the team to beat next season and beyond.
While I like what is happening and I believe Griffin and Ania are better off because of it AND there is no telling how Westbrook may have fared if she were given the opportunity to play. Some transfers, even highly talented (you name em, I won't) players have not lived up to expectations and were NOT the assets to Uconn they could have been. There is a significant difference to 3rd year top talent that started with Geno and those transferring in. However, I would have liked to have had the opportunity to see what a Westbrook Husky plays like. Danger probably would have had fewer bumps and bruises with Evina. Sitting on the bench, as we saw, as a transfer does not assure they have learned the Geno system.

Reaction Score
Yup. She's probably gone after next year, unless she is still hampered by her injury & doesnt put up the numbers for her to get drafted.
Isn't this speculation????

Reaction Score
I guess there is: I just did that. With a transfer (top player or 2) that transferred in and sat for a year neither performed as would be expected. Without seeing her play under Geno with in his system we can only speculate what she may have been but -----who knows??? Potential and previous performance have not proven (with transfers) to be a guarantee of future performances. The beautiful thing is: Whether she is great or not so great next year she'll play but not necessarily starting. (Again, 2 transfers seem to say that)

Reaction Score
What if Tuck/Stevens had not left? What if Abrosimova hadn't been hurt? etc.
Time to move on????

Tony, I like your thoughts on the future a lot more than what's past.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I guess there is: I just did that. With a transfer (top player or 2) that transferred in and sat for a year neither performed as would be expected. Without seeing her play under Geno with in his system we can only speculate what she may have been but -----who knows??? Potential and previous performance have not proven (with transfers) to be a guarantee of future performances. The beautiful thing is: Whether she is great or not so great next year she'll play but not necessarily starting. (Again, 2 transfers seem to say that)

Not sure what you're getting at here. Not with Westbrook or the transfer comment.

Reaction Score
You are being kind. Stating that playing without her is the “better scenario” is one of the more ludicrous statements made on this site. Illness can indeed play tricks on the mind.

Reaction Score
Seems like a rationalization to me
Evina has the ability to be an all-star
Her potential scoring would have made us a very much more dangerous team
If it means the end of the bench saw less action: so be it.

Sorry you're ill, Tony, take care...seems like cold and flu season is starting early
I'm recently out of the hospital with the open heart deal. No time for me to get sick

msf22b- - I know what you're going through as I had my heart surgery 3 years ago!
Best wishes for a complete recovery!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom