Where We Are Through a Wider Lens | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where We Are Through a Wider Lens

Reaction Score
Put IW in the starting lineup he deserves to stsrt-might help Josh play more solid. IW shows he has the defense to start the opponent scrambling. TO man on D.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. Take better shots, i.e., shots you are comfortable taking and make regularly. Don't take off balance shots, don't take shots from anywhere on the floor, don't take wild shots (much improved on the last one.) Looking at the last game, Houston's players almost always had their feet set and went straight up to shoot. We are leaning, shuffling, and slow to get the ball in a shooting position. It affects the percentage.

2. AG can't dominate the ball, especially late. The sample size is just too large at this point to think any other way. This is different from him not playing as much (silly) or not starting (ridiculous). Broken play, go for it. Defense rotates into a mismatch, go for it. Transition, go for it. In standard half court sets? Take two dribbles and pass it. Don't think about it, just do it. He just looks like he is overthinking, like he needs to carry the offense. We have a lot of pieces who can do good things. Way more than we have two years ago. We can actually get points from all five spots on the floor and three/four deep on the bench.

I really think that's all that's missing after watching these last 5 games. Sure, we could use better players, players more comfortable at this speed and intensity, players used to winning who expect to win every game, but for sloppy play at the worst possible times, we are hanging with Top 25 teams on the road.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Gilbert is not a great shooter, but he gets stuck with a lot of shot clock bailouts because no one else could get open.

I have said this 1,000 times on this board: Vital is a great catch-and-shoot shooter, and can't throw his pull-up 3 into the ocean. Maybe someone should tell him to focus on moving without the ball to get more catch-and-shoot 3's, and spend less time running up to defenders and trying to shoot it in their face.

Carlton needs more touches. He is a serviceable inside player, and he will get more looks for Vital on kickouts and reversals through the paint.

Bouk is a very good playground player against AAC level competition, but he has no idea what he is doing from a team standpoint on either end of the floor. It is almost February. What has he been doing in practice all season?

Nothing I have seen in the last month changes my opinion that we have NCAA bubble talent and will be an NIT bubble team. That is disappointing.

Reaction Score
No. A combination of lack of confidence -- if you don't win you think you won't win, and whether you think you're going to win or going to lose you're probably right -- and lack of an offensive weapon making scoring really tough when defenses focus. I'd come out of the last TV timeout and try to run set plays the rest of the way instead of running our offense, but with Bouk out and Carlton, Akok, and Adams non-factors the question becomes who you're supposed to run a play for.

It's quite possible that just finding a way to beat Tulsa at home Sunday and get over the damn hump changes the confidence levels and makes us enough better to start turning losses into wins.
Beating Tulsa, even at home, will be a very good win.
Team should have an offense against tight coverage that is used throughout the game when opponents get after it, too often AG breaks the press and then slows down when gets over half court or he and others are settling for outside, non probing passes and dribbling as clock runs down. Need to be able to attach tight defense throughout game so when it gets even more intense at end of game we are ready.

Reaction Score
The 2006-2007 team that went 17-14, and 6-10 in the Big East, was our worst team in 10 years at the time. I believe that team was top 20 in the nation for field goal % defense, but the offense was bad and they struggled to score points. The 07 team had good young players, never really got blown out, but didn’t have anybody that developed into being that leader who can take over a game. It reminds me of this team in many ways.

Reaction Score
I'd have to say the player that impresses me the most on the defensive end (other than Akok and AG) is BAdams.

Watching his energy and footwork guarding people is so much fun. He epitomizes a Hurley-coached defense, and it shows why DH recruited him.

He plays hard and has improved but he's not close to Gilbert or even Vital ion that end. When he had to guard Grimes the other night he got waxed a couple times. I actually expected him to be nice defensive piece vs the other teams wings or 6'4"-5" scorers and while he's been ok he's just not the same guy who looked very improved early on this year. He's struggling the last 10 games or so.

Reaction Score
He plays hard and has improved but he's not close to Gilbert or even Vital ion that end. When he had to guard Grimes the other night he got waxed a couple times. I actually expected him to be nice defensive piece vs the other teams wings or 6'4"-5" scorers and while he's been ok he's just not the same guy who looked very improved early on this year. He's struggling the last 10 games or so.
Yeah. Badams has been falling off as of late. Not impressed with him either.

Reaction Score
If we are still struggling to close next year, I'll start to get concerned.

This is right. We're losing every close game because our senior leader guards are incapable, either by physical limitation or understanding of the game, from doing anything else.

The expectation is that this will improve when the ball is in someone else's hands, realistically not until next year. If another group of players and leaders are still getting the same results, then it will be fair to questions Hurley.

Reaction Score
Gilbert is not a great shooter, but he gets stuck with a lot of shot clock bailouts because no one else could get open.

I have said this 1,000 times on this board: Vital is a great catch-and-shoot shooter, and can't throw his pull-up 3 into the ocean. Maybe someone should tell him to focus on moving without the ball to get more catch-and-shoot 3's, and spend less time running up to defenders and trying to shoot it in their face.

Carlton needs more touches. He is a serviceable inside player, and he will get more looks for Vital on kickouts and reversals through the paint.

Bouk is a very good playground player against AAC level competition, but he has no idea what he is doing from a team standpoint on either end of the floor. It is almost February. What has he been doing in practice all season?

Nothing I have seen in the last month changes my opinion that we have NCAA bubble talent and will be an NIT bubble team. That is disappointing.

With Polley, the talent level was that of a middle/upper-tier NIT team. Without, NIT bubble is about right.

I said before the season that the NCAA bubble was a stretch goal.

Reaction Score
A little perspective. I just looked at the KenPoms. We rank 33rd in the country in defensive efficiency. We rank 159th in the country in offensive efficiency. We are more than good enough defensively to be an NCAA team. People need to give the coaches, and the players, credit for that. It is not an easy thing to turn around, and the last three games they have worked their butts off -- effectively -- on the defensive end. The two most important players defensively are Gilbert, pressuring the opponent's point, and Akok altering all kinds of shots inside.

Obviously, we are not adequate offensively. 6 more points a game will make us as good a team as anyone in our conference heading into our conference tournament. Where do we get those extra points a game with our currently very limited offensively roster. Because we're not making Gilbert taller or Carlton more explosive or Vital a better dribbler over the next month. I have three thoughts.

1. Just shoot better. Gilbert has to make foul shots. Vital has to shoot 3s like he did last year, or Bouk or Adams has to make 3s like they did before conference play started. Just 2 or 3 more points a game from people hitting more of the same shots we're getting would make a huge difference. This is about confidence and practice. The players have to get this done.

2. Especially with Polley out, and with all the offensive limitations we have, we have to make more of an effort to get Carlton the ball down low. Is he limited? Heck yes. Is he maddeningly frustrating? Yes. But with Polley out, and our limitations we have to see if he can either score, like he did against Nova, or even just draw fouls and double teams like he did in a poor performance against Wichita State. We are too limited to give up on this. And Whalley was great last night, and give him every chance to do this again, but even if he can give us what he gave us last night consistently (and I'll be surprised if he can) he's not a back to the basket draw help player and this team needs that.

3. We have to ride Bouk's talents more in the minutes he can give us before foul trouble, and to do that with as few offensive weapons as we have we have to adjust our offense for him. It's fine to have Vital run around picks out wide because him getting an open pop from 3 is an option. Bouk needs to attack the rim, and he seems to be much more effective going downhill to the rim then attacking from wide. Get him the ball off movement in isolation at the top of the key and let him try to attack.

We're not far away. Losing sucks but we can't have back games that have gotten away. The last 3 games we're doing everything as well as the good teams in the American except winning. Time to find the tweaks, and time for some players to hit some jumpers and free throws.
The bottom line: the players can't shoot and make baskets when they really count... We need a Rip, Gordon, Kemba or 'Bazz. None like that to be had on this team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom