Where we are, and what we need, your thoughts . . . | The Boneyard

Where we are, and what we need, your thoughts . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So we now have a pretty good sampling of our team. We've seen guys play great, fade, come back, struggle, succeed, and so on.

We have a very good record.

We have played at least one very good team, and a small sampling of so-so teams.

Our main weakness appears to be lessening (bigs' play).

So what are your main concerns?
and, asked differently,
What do we need to change in the next 2 months to be ready for a run to the E8?

My concerns:

1. Boat. His swagger to ability ratio is a bit too high for my liking. He's one of these guys who can make great plays to keep you in the game and bone head plays to keep them in the game, all at the same time. I don't expect it, but IF he simply became a better distributor and accepted that his point production would be lower, we'd be markedly better. Unfortunately, we have no 3rd point that could even take a few minutes from him, so KO is going to be stuck playing him.

2. Omar. He had a very good game against whatever team it was we just played. But I'm not ready to formally announce an end to his season long lull quite yet. The fact is, he plays better against smaller, weaker teams. Sure, all guys do. But he, in particular, plays better. Let's give it a couple more games with him coming off the bench and doing well before we decide he's into a new mode. IF he can keep up his rebounding intensity and IF he can keep hitting at least 35% on threes, then we will be markedly better.

3. Big Man Play. Obvious, I know, but there's a twist. I simply want acceptable D and solid rebounding. I don't think we need more, nor do I think we need to push for more. When we hit the top 10 teams, I can't see Nolan using his patented 720 move to get us needed points, nor Olander shooting over 6/10 guys with his single go-left baby hook. IF we can get reasonable D and IF we can get 10 boards from the center position, we will be markedly better.

About everybody else, I have no questions, other than to point out I'd like to see Kromah/Giff take a few of Boat's minutes, if at all possible.

Overall, we're in good shape to do well in the tourni, and having the best point in the country means that, notwithstanding any other analysis, we always have a reasonable chance to win, independent of the opponent.

Reaction Score
Easy buckets..we get good looks from the perimeter on dribble drive and kick outs, but we don't get enough easy buckets in the half court, and while we get some fastbreak points, I think we need to try to run more. Of course, you can't run without rebounding unless we force turnovers. The lack of dependent low post scoring is my biggest concern. Nolan and Brimah can't post up and get buckets regularly. DeAndre can on occasion, depending on the matchup. It is a problem we can work around if we shoot well, but when the shots aren't falling we find ourselves in dog fights (no pun intended), which is why we've had so many close games. Our D has been great and will continue to be great. So easy, post buckets and rebounding obviously- offensively and defensively are the issues I've seen thus far..

Reaction Score
My concerns

Ball movement. The team needs to understand what is a good shot and what isn't. They need to understand the concept of making the extra pass and moving without the ball.

Boxing out. This is a small team, in order to get rebounds they need to box out.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
I think we are at a very good place at this point in the season. Our ability to pour it in from multiple guys from deep and having the best point guard in the country (or most clutch anyways) can keep us in any game.
When we rebound and get stops on D, we get off on the break and can beat any team on the run. We need a solid rebounder. I hope, and think Phil will step up and become that man.
As good as Bazz and Boat are, I think we should go to DeAndre more often and build his confidence. He has shown to be our best option in the post and thats where he gets his high percentage shots. When our threes aren't falling (Stanford) a reliable post option is all this team needs for a deep run in March.
In Bazz We Trust

Reaction Score
I think most of us would have signed up for 11-1 going into the conference schedule as long as that 1 loss wasnt to BC for SOS and bragging rights purposes. We know Shabazz is probably the best PG in college basketball and we have some guys who can really shoot the ball (Giffey, Napier, and im not giving up on Omar). The front court will be a work in progress for the rest of the season but from the last two games it looks like they have turned the corner.

If you look at it, this team should not lose more than 3-4 games the rest of the season including the AAC Tournament. I would be happy with a 3-4 seed in the NCAA Tournament in the East region so we can see them play at MSG.

Reaction Score
I'm just happy we're not undefeated at this point. I really am.

Reaction Score
We need a 3/4/swing that can breakdown the other defense off the dribble……we have shooters not slashers and you need to have a slasher. Nothing wrong with having multiple shooters unless you shoot like you did against Stanford!! Then you need to take someone off the dribble on occasion and it's better to have someone over 5'11 doing that!

Also need to have Brimah improve his instincts so he needs to play more and stay out of trouble - he can't become more instinctive watching. His hands need to be ready for rebounding and his ability to read the carom needs to get better. That way he stays out and we have a rim protector which is so important!

11-1 is fine but there's plenty of room for improvement in everyone's game including Bazz…….

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Rebounding.
/thread

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
My concerns

Ball movement. The team needs to understand what is a good shot and what isn't. They need to understand the concept of making the extra pass and moving without the ball.

Totally agree, lately one on one plays have been featured more prominently in the offense versus the penetration and good ball movement that we saw when this team looked great for stretches earlier in the season.

Boxing out. This is a small team, in order to get rebounds they need to box out.[/quote]
Bigs pursuing rebounds better and guards/wings boxing out better will be huge.

Quote from Strummer:
"Omar. He had a very good game against whatever team it was we just played. But I'm not ready to formally announce an end to his season long lull quite yet. The fact is, he plays better against smaller, weaker teams. Sure, all guys do. But he, in particular, plays better. Let's give it a couple more games with him coming off the bench and doing well before we decide he's into a new mode. IF he can keep up his rebounding intensity and IF he can keep hitting at least 35% on threes, then we will be markedly better.[/quote]

Very good point. Omar is shooting 11.7% from 3 against high major/BCS opponents...he really needs to bring it against top level opponents.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nolan showed ability to make things happen from the outer reaches of the baseline in the last game. I saw him do plenty of that in the KO/Geno game and was waiting all season to see it happen in a game that counted.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Can't rebound. Need to box out and gang rebound.
Interior defense is lacking against good competition.
Shot selection at times is poor.
Ball movement around the perimeter is terrible.
Half-court offense has been terrible the last 5-6 games.

If we can correct 4/5 of these, I think we're a Sweet 16 team. But at the moment we're very vulnerable to any team who has can out-rebound us, has more size down low, hot shooting teams, etc.

caw

Reaction Score
I have to say now in the second year the offense is noticeably different under Ollie than it was under Calhoun. Part might be personnel but part is Ollie. There are a few things I wish Ollie would put back in, the back door cut (and lob) for Boatright, etc.

Defensively, UConn has been pretty good and there isn't a ton to complain about.

Individually, I think the usual complaints are accurate.

I will say Nolan has improved a lot, relative to last year, but not as much as people expected. I think he could have a breakout second half (he has good tools). I think if he can get his averages up to about 6-5 UConn will be very good.

Calhoun's shot looked a bit different against EW than from what I remember it looking like. I am only going off of highlightsof that game though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Boat just hasn't shot the ball well from midrange at all. Everything else he does I think the team can live with, and he is still a huge net positive.

Daniels is a very good basketball player but I'm not sure I can think of a good NBA comparison. Or at least not a good player.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
rebounding

interior defense (at least brimah gives us a presence down low, otherwise is cupcake city)

and I still think we're a damn good team

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
The top 3 things we need to do (besides rebound the basketball) to be where we want to be in March are as follows:

1. We used to be a team that converted almost all of our fast break opportunities, we have the horses to run and finish, yet I haven't felt that we've been as dominant at converting our fast breaks as we were in the past. We all know that Boat hasn't been as solid in these situations, but this is one area that even Bazz could improve. Rebounding helps, but we've had teams in the past that could create fast breaks on made baskets by inbounding in a hurry. We have a deep enough team to run and we should.

2. Employ more of a press. We lack size and rebounding. Louisville used to employ 4 guard sets that were effective because of the press. We'll have to be more selective and careful in employing a press. You don't have to press all the time, just bust out a 2-2-1 press at select points to create turnovers and disrupt the other team getting into their half court offense to make up for our lack of size.

3. Find our cornered animal mentality. Some of our best teams felt that it was us-against-the-world. Calhoun always preferred fighting out of the corner. We are undeniably a TOUGH team. These guys need more of a chip on their shoulder to step on other team's throats when we have the lead and create back breaking runs.

If we can do those three things, rebounding be damned - I'd pick us over anybody. Well, I always pick us over everybody regardless, I'd just feel more justified in doing so.

2014 is gonna be a good year. Happy New Years Boneyard

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll probably be burned at the stake, but this team makes me nervous. They fumble and bumble around making mistakes, and playing agonizingly bad half court offense, and yet usually find a way to win, failing (barely) just the one time. But they could have four losses easily (Maryland, BC, Indian, Florida). So which is the real team? I am waiting for them to put it together, and I think KO is as well, as evidenced by the lineup changes. He seems to searching for the right combinations.
  • Bazz has been very good, and bails out the team. But he is much better when he doesn't have to bail out the team. When he gets DD and Giffey scoring, that's when we are at our best, and it frees him up to take less contested shots.
  • Boat is having his worst season at UConn. He's making Jerome Dyson look like a great decision maker. I get the sense that he wants to play like Dwayne Wade, but doesn't realize he isn't Wade. Penetrate and kick it out Ryan, I've seen you do it, just not enough.
  • Giffey works tirelessly and gets ignored. I think KO is starting him to send a message that his teamates need to keep getting him the ball. Would be a star on other teams.
  • Deandre vanishes too often and they run nothing whatsover to get him the ball in the post. He scores on the break, on garbage baskets and from outside. He needs to move better without the ball and get his initial touch closer to the basket.
  • Other bigs, Nolan, Brimah and Olander all need to do a little more, but I don't think we can expect much beyond a little D, some rebounding and spreading out the fouls.
  • Omar is a mystery. I don't know if he is sulking or what the problem is, but at his present level he'll be the third or fourth best wing on the team next year. I don't see much energy, shooting has been poor and while he should be the guy most able to beat his man and get to the rim as a slasher, he just doesn't. That may be part of what forces Boat to attempt it more than he should.
  • Kromah is a solid addition in all phases of the game. Much better than expected.

Reaction Score
My concern is our strength down low. It's just not where it needs to be to be a top team. Teams that I watch on TV just look so physically strong in comparison.

And Omar Calhoun showed Saturday why he needs to continue to get mins despite the pleas to bench him. He doesn't hit those 2nd half string of 3's, that EWU game is a single digit game heading to the final minutes. We need him to be Rashad Anderson.

Reaction Score
Cleaning up the defensive glass is the primary concern. It would stop offensive rebounds by our opponents giving them less possessions and positively impact on our defensive numbers. It would lead to more fast break or secondary break points and positively affect our offensive numbers.

Do that one thing, clean up the defensive glass, and we improve dramatically.

Reaction Score
My concern is our strength down low. It's just not where it needs to be to be a top team. Teams that I watch on TV just look so physically strong in comparison.

And Omar Calhoun showed Saturday why he needs to continue to get mins despite the pleas to bench him. He doesn't hit those 2nd half string of 3's, that EWU game is a single digit game heading to the final minutes. We need him to be Rashad Anderson.

Let's not get crazy on Omar because he went 5 for 9 and made 2 in a row finally……it was a step in the right direction and no one asked to "bench him" just concede some of his minutes to guys who were clearly playing better in Kromah and Giffey……his 6 rebounds showed he needs to play like that and harder all the time and not pout…..let's see some more before we announce his "return"! We need him, let's hope it gets even better…….

U

UCONNfan1

Many have mentioned the woes on rebounding. I paid close attention to this in our last game vs. EWU. First, the guys get themselves into poor defensive position around the basket. Then they neglect to box out. I noticed that every time it seemed a shot by UCONN went up, there were 5 defenders for EWU who turned their heads and hovered around the basket for a defensive board, but when EWU put up a shot, the UCONN players were confused and just stood around (gross simplification, but it happened on far too many instances to be an outlier).

I also noticed at least 10 points scored (in the first half alone) by EWU on 2nd chance points after an offensive board. What should have been a 20 point lead in the first half was only 10.

I totally get it when the ball takes an odd bounce and gets back to an offensive player, but i don't get the lack of positioning nor the lack of boxing out when the other team puts up a shot. Believe me, I have no doubt that the coaches are acutely aware of this, but it doesn't seem like there has been much in the way of improvement this year.

Over matched opponents have kept games relatively close. This team just has not looked great in any game except for the one against Detroit. This is why I believe a sweet 16 run will be a great accomplishment for this team, and anything beyond that will be unexpected and that much more satisfying.

Reaction Score
This is why I believe a sweet 16 run will be a great accomplishment for this team, and anything beyond that will be unexpected and that much more satisfying.
Attention shoppers, a dose of realism has spilled its way onto the Boneyard floor. Use caution so as not to slip and bang your head on reality. Cleanup on aisle five, please.

Reaction Score
  • [ ]Boat is having his worst season at UConn. He's making Jerome Dyson look like a great decision maker. I get the sense that he wants to play like Dwayne Wade, but doesn't realize he isn't Wade. Penetrate and kick it out Ryan, I've seen you do it, just not enough.

This is just mystifying to me. When he looks to be a distributor, he doesn't shoot enough. When he looks to shoot, he's selfish. He takes "countless" bad shots but his shots are down this year. I don't see it. He's not perfect - none of them are - but I don't know how you watch the kid play this year and not recognize that he's made significant strides.

Also, I love what Giffey's doing, but I don't know that he'd be a "star" on other teams, at least high level teams. He's a great spot up shooter and a classic "do-everything" glue guy. If he was the #1 option on a BCS level team there'd just be endless posts about how he doesn't have the mental makeup to be an alpha dog.

I have no idea what the ceiling for this team is. I think they could lose in the first round with the wrong matchup, or make it all the way to the last weekend with the right draw and some lights out shooting (but I think that's a very long shot). I think they'll probably come out somewhere in the middle. Ultimately, a jump shooting team that relies on a 6-0 guard to carry its offense for long stretches and doesn't get much in the way of paint production is going to run out of luck faster than a team that can throw the ball off the glass and let Joel Embiid and Wiggins go get it.

Dmike

Reaction Score
If we get to play in the Eastern Bracket, we get to the Final Four out of MSG. Anywhere else, we'll need to shoot the lights out and pull out nail biters to have a shot. Prediction - 3 seed (hopefully in the East)!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
If we get to play in the Eastern Bracket, we get to the Final Four out of MSG. Anywhere else, we'll need to shoot the lights out and pull out nail biters to have a shot. Prediction - 3 seed (hopefully in the East)!
Everything about our tournament history shows we're better off far from home. Worcester in 05 did nothing for us. Send us West and we've got a shot.

Dmike

Reaction Score
Everything about our tournament history shows we're better off far from home. Worcester in 05 did nothing for us. Send us West and we've got a shot.

I hear you, but I'm feeling MSG this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom