Where was Nolan? | The Boneyard

Where was Nolan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what was up with PN last night. After first few minutes, he was out of the rotation. Facey and Enoch were splitting his time. If it was his ankle, was KO holding him out for Maryland and Ohio St?

Reaction Score
Nope, Phil wasn't playing because Facey and Enoch are significantly better basketball players than him. Once Enoch figures things out on D, Phil will be lucky to see 10 minutes per game.

Phil came in, took an ill-advised 15 footer, missed it badly and came out.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not trashing Phil. He will be a valuable player to have coming off of the bench when the rest of our bigs are in foul trouble. However, there is too much talent with the rest of the bigs on our squad to give Phil a large amount of playing time. He's a great teammate and knows his role when he isn't taking these 15 foot jump shots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what was up with PN last night. After first few minutes, he was out of the rotation. Facey and Enoch were splitting his time. If it was his ankle, was KO holding him out for Maryland and Ohio St?

Phil has a contusion of his shot selection and poor hands.

Reaction Score
Damn..you guys are doing Phil dirty (again), but..that being said, Enoch is really a surprise, to me at least. I had no idea he was this big, fluid, and athletic. He has a presence out there already and has close to an NBA body already.

I'm pretty interested in seeing how he looks against Diamond Stone, as I think they will match up at some point on Tuesday night. I think we actually got the better of those two prospects, especially if Stone wants to be a one and done (he hasn't shown that ability yet, but might have it in his head that he's leaving). Interesting development.

Reaction Score
Watching Nolan and Olander before him really makes me miss okwandu. All three are/were backup caliber players. Olander and Nolan have gotten worse. Definitely less active. Okwandu improved leaps and bounds in his last year. In fact, relative to his skill set, Okwandu may of had the best 2011 tournament on the team.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I've been one of Nolan's biggest backers here, but Enoch played well enough that I didn't miss him last night.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Phil hasn't looked great, but I not sure where all the negativity about him is coming from. He's a good kid. For my part, I'd rather be happy for Facey and Enoch than dump on Nolan. I have to say I am surprised by both of them. Kentan is playing pretty well, and Enoch looks as if he's getting it more and more each game.

H

huskymagic

"You're not really that stupid are you?" :eek:

Reaction Score
Phil can play body up defense. See championship season. Not so sure the other can do as well...Amida - No, Facey - Not yet, but getting better, Enoch - Out of position allot (however, didn't really have to play much defense in High school. Now he does and he will learn. So, I'm actually thinking you will see Nolan against some of the Maryland bigs...

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Unless a player does something intentionally that's bad enough to earn it (Antonio Kellogg would be an example), I will never take any pleasure in bashing them. I don't see why any fan does. There's the joking type of laughing about a player and then there's the outright disdainful kind. Poor Phil gets a lot of that.

Reaction Score
Nolan is much better on the defensive end that Enoch.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
If Nolan doesn't rise from the pine against Maryland then we will know that the changing of the guard is in order and that Enoch has supplanted Philly earlier than we expected.

If Enoch continues to build on what he has already shown then the Nolan backers will have to get used to him getting splinters on the bench

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
Riding the bench
I remember ESPN giving him a rating of 89 or 90 out of hs
Last minute pick up. The rating was off
He needs some milk

Reaction Score
You have Brimah/Miller starting then you have Facey/Enoch off the bench. If Enoch can improve on the defensive end then i dont see a reason for Nolan to see the floor unless there is foul trouble. Nolan is just not very good and thats ok. As long as hes a good teammate and is a body in practice and when there is foul trouble.

Reaction Score

Obviously he's injured because normally he's the best defender we have on the low block minus Miller and it ain't close.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Obviously he's injured because normally he's the best defender we have on the low block minus Miller and it ain't close.
Orrrrrr we just have better alternatives this year.

Don't confuse this statement with hate...overall Nolan isn't all that good. He isn't this amazing defensive stopper where he has to see minutes regardless of his offensive deficiencies.

KO said earlier this year that if you play defense you will find a spot in his rotation...well Phil isn't in the rotation so I trust in our staff evaluations here.

The season is long and rotations are very fluid. We may not hear the last from Philly this year but right now he is not trending in the right direction and Enoch is creating some "palpable buzz"

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
There's this idea people have here that if you say a player isn't good, you hate them. I don't dislike Phil Nolan as a person or as a representative of the program, but if we have better options(we do), he should ride the bench.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's crazy that the starting Centers on two of our last title teams have been Nolan and Olander.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There's this idea people have here that if you say a player isn't good, you hate them. I don't dislike Phil Nolan as a person or as a representative of the program, but if we have better options(we do), he should ride the bench.

Remarks like "who?" are a bit spiteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer