Where is UConn at QB? (Silver) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where is UConn at QB? (Silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One would expect a good QB to have a big day against Memphis, and he did just that. Memphis didn't exactly give before kickoff. They had some fight in them at first. Casey and the offense completely demoralized them.

If we played like we played against USF then there is a chance we lose that game.

They had fight for a few series. I don't disagree with anything here.

Reaction Score
I'm writing as someone who was not a Cochran fan at all. I had seen him play in high school and in the blue-White games and came away thinking he was just not very good, not a D1 quarterback. But watching him not only the last 3 games but also when he came in late against Cincy and Louisville, it was clear he just made quicker and better decisions, that he was more accurate with the football, and that he got rid of the ball quickly. The only game where he didn't play well was SMU but we had other issues there as well and I though he was still ok.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Are we really debating the merits between passing against Memphis and passing against a real live FBS team?

I remember back to a time when Boyle was " our guy" after putting up 10 points vs USF.

Now CC beats 3 of the worst teams in FBS and now he's the clear cut starter for the next 3 seasons.

Stop being so g dam reactionary. Both kids look like they can be good. They'll have the next 3 seasons too prove who's the right man for the job.

Reaction Score
Are we really debating the merits between passing against Memphis and passing against a real live FBS team?

I remember back to a time when Boyle was " our guy" after putting up 10 points vs USF.

Now CC beats 3 of the worst teams in FBS and now he's the clear cut starter for the next 3 seasons.

Stop being so g dam reactionary. Both kids look like they can be good. They'll have the next 3 seasons too prove who's the right man for the job.

Stick to the basketball board.

Reaction Score
We're always told about the guy that crushes it in practice, but can't do it in a game.

Cochran's game film speaks for itself. The kid's got game moxy . Some of that is unteachable. There is a cottage industry in sports psychology trying to get guys mentally prepared from practice to the real deal. I don't think Cochran's going to be lying down on anyone's couch any time soon.

In my opinion, there isn't a quarterback debate come BYU.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Stick to the basketball board.

OK, just making sure at Cinci, at UCF and Ville for a true freshman should be graded on the same scale as at Temple, vs Rutgers/Ville?

then again when you have Art openly asking why should a bad defense make
it easier for a QB, than a good defense you may be beyond repair.

Reaction Score
OK, just making sure at Cinci, at UCF and Ville for a true freshman should be graded on the same scale as at Temple, vs Rutgers/Ville?

Boyle has not shown he can't read defenses quickly while Casey did. That's the difference between a good QB and a not so good QB. That's not to say Boyle won't surpass Casey, but pound for pound, Casey has exhibited better skills, so far.

Casey made 3 throws Saturday that weren't just lucky. The ball to Bradley where the ball was on the way before Bradley made his cut. The touchdown pass just over the defender's hand to (the name escapes me) and the best of all...the 30 yd pass to Lamelle that was in coverage tighter than a glove. Those are exceptional passes that good QB's make. All skill and no luck.

When better defenses come into play, I certainly don't expect to see Casey have monster games. But a QB who is smart, accurate and quick to throw stand a much better chance at success.

It was unfair to expect Boyle to come in and be a good QB. Casey had the advantage over him and then some. But just because someone does very well vs lousy teams doesn't mean they are not good. Until proven otherwise Casey is a good QB, who I expect to get even better.

But so will Boyle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

So your point is that Boyle's terrible performances against good opponents are equal to Cochran's very good performances against bad opponents?

I'm just trying to understand what you saw in Boyle this year that in any way makes him a better option than Cochran going forward. Could Cochran lose the job by performing badly next year? Sure. But it should be his job to lose.

Reaction Score
I posted this information in another post:

UConn's QBs were sacked 42 times this year.

Casey Cochran was sacked 4 times (175 attempts), Whitmer was sacked 20 times (129 attempts), Boyle was sacked 18 times (133 attempts).

And, people forget that Cochran played in 8 games this year: Buffalo 5 pass attempts, Cinci 3 pass attempts, UCF 11 pass attempts, Louisville 9 pass attempts, SMU 42 pass attempts, Temple 18 pass attempts, Rutgers 33 pass attempts, and Memphis 54 pass attempts.

Finally, Cochran's Passing Efficiency rating for this year was 141.7, which would have placed him at #41 for NCAA QBs. Not bad for a RS freshman!

Reaction Score
I posted this information in another post:

UConn's QBs were sacked 42 times this year.

Casey Cochran was sacked 4 times (175 attempts), Whitmer was sacked 20 times (129 attempts), Boyle was sacked 18 times (133 attempts).

And, people forget that Cochran played in 8 games this year: Buffalo 5 pass attempts, Cinci 3 pass attempts, UCF 11 pass attempts, Louisville 9 pass attempts, SMU 42 pass attempts, Temple 18 pass attempts, Rutgers 33 pass attempts, and Memphis 54 pass attempts.

Finally, Cochran's Passing Efficiency rating for this year was 141.7, which would have placed him at #41 for NCAA QBs. Not bad for a RS freshman!

Let's be fair though. Casey had the advantage of an OL that found itself after being off course for quite a while. The game plan for the last 2.5 games was set up to take advantage of poor secondaries by passing almost non stop.

I think any of our QB's would have beaten Memphis. RU and Temple...not sure.

Reaction Score
Let's be fair though. Casey had the advantage of an OL that found itself after being off course for quite a while. The game plan for the last 2.5 games was set up to take advantage of poor secondaries by passing almost non stop.

I'm not so sure the other QBs would have beaten those teams. In my view, the biggest difference between Cochran and the other QBs was how they reacted to pressure. Cochran seemed to step up in the pocked and the others seemed to step back. In addition, it seemed Cochran got rid of the ball faster, but I don't have any numbers to base that on. The result was fewer sacks of Cochran than the other QBs.

The interception numbers, completion %, TD passes, and QB rating among the three QBs speak for themselves.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't disagree. But there's a reason why you throw for 461 against Memphis and not against Mich St.

Dan O put up his numbers against teams like this.

I just looked at his senior season - against WVU, Georgia Tech & BC, he didn't look too impressive.

Even against Murray St, he didn't put up CC numbers.

Reaction Score
I almost agree with mets on this. No way is Cochran not the leader and by a wide margin. Any coach who has a lick of sense will see that. My view is that we may have seen Tim Boyle's career at UConn. Cochran has certainly established himself as the man to beat and if he locks down the job next year, as I suspect he will, he will not be replaced by anyone after that. After he is done, it leaves only a year for Boyle, best case, and by then the new coach will have "his" quarterback ready to step in. The coaches did Boyle no favors by starting him this year. He was clearly not ready, and now he is a failed starter rather than a hot prospect. The situation reminds me a little of Texas when Major Applewhite was there along with Chris Simms. One had the pedigree and the tools. The other only won games.

Boyle would have 2 years left after casey graduates if Boyle red shirts next year.

Reaction Score

Casey made the oline better with his reads and quicker progressions. He did not have happy feet either. For the record, I'd be running for my life.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is if one of our other QB's can beat out Casey next season, then he'll have improved greatly. No matter who the coach is, next season, he's going to choose the best QB. Right now, it's Casey by a mile.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am going to hope all three get better in the off season and double hope that all three make this year's version of themselves a poor memory. I expect an open competition. CC can hold the mantle if that makes some of you happy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So your point is that Boyle's terrible performances against good opponents are equal to Cochran's very good performances against bad opponents?

I'm just trying to understand what you saw in Boyle this year that in any way makes him a better option than Cochran going forward. Could Cochran lose the job by performing badly next year? Sure. But it should be his job to lose.

If you read earlier post, I said CC goes into the off season as the starter.

To make him captain and proclaim him the starter by a wide margin I don't think is doing due diligence.

Boyle played awful this season but he has great measurables.
CC played very good, but had very easy opponents.

Not everything on the Boneyard is so white and black. We can to into camp with a QB competition and it likely makes both better.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've got no skin in the game. If one of the QBs other than Casey comes in in the spring/summer and blows him out of the water... than fine... I don't expect it.... but Casey didn't just throw for a few hundred yards against crap competition... he set all time records at UConn. I don't care who it's against. That's impressive. Anyone who argues that it was because Memphis was crap competition is being disingenuous and has an agenda. Every QB that started for UConn this year played against crap competition. Only one was successful.... or do you want to argue somehow that USF or Buffalo are top 25 teams? It was the best passing day in the HISTORY of UConn football. That should open up some breathing room between him and someone else.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Dan O put up his numbers against teams like this.

I just looked at his senior season - against WVU, Georgia Tech & BC, he didn't look too impressive.

Even against Murray St, he didn't put up CC numbers.

No disrespect to O'Neil Wilson, but Dan O never threw to someone as good as Geremy Davis when he was at UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boyle has not shown he can read defenses quickly while Casey did. That's the difference between a good QB and a not so good QB. That's not to say Boyle won't surpass Casey, but pound for pound, Casey has exhibited better skills, so far.

Casey made 3 throws Saturday that weren't just lucky. The ball to Bradley where the ball was on the way before Bradley made his cut. The touchdown pass just over the defender's hand to (the name escapes me) and the best of all...the 30 yd pass to Lamelle that was in coverage tighter than a glove. Those are exceptional passes that good QB's make. All skill and no luck.

When better defenses come into play, I certainly don't expect to see Casey have monster games. But a QB who is smart, accurate and quick to throw stand a much better chance at success.

It was unfair to expect Boyle to come in and be a good QB. Casey had the advantage over him and then some. But just because someone does very well vs lousy teams doesn't mean they are not good. Until proven otherwise Casey is a good QB, who I expect to get even better.

But so will Boyle.

I don't think Boyle's issues were as much about reading defenses. His main issue was his woeful inaccuracy.

He has the arm, but unless he can work on his accuracy, he will struggle.

Reaction Score
I just skipped ahead so forgive me if this has been said but: Has a starting QB ever passed for 464 yards or so in his season finale and then lost his job in training camp? I will venture to guess it has never happened other than due to injury, legal problems or disciplinary problems.

Casey will be the starter. Benching him would be the riskiest thing a new coach could do. If we lost with Boyle or Whitmer starting on opening day, we'd run the new coach out of town.

Reaction Score
I don't get why this thread blew up...? Silver ends his "Where are we article" with:

"Then, there’s Cochran. He doesn’t measure up physically to any of the four quarterbacks mentioned above. But, none of them can boast throwing for a school-record in yardage in his fourth game and no one has played as well as the 6-foot-1 redshirt freshman. Cochran always begins these battles behind because of his physical limitations. He starts ahead this spring because of his performance. In the end, that’s all that matters."

Reaction Score
Boyle played awful this season but he has great measurables.

Can we please stop with the damn measurables ???

This is how we got into this mess in the first place. Paul loved the measurables too. Now we have a bunch of big, slow guys who can't win football games.....all because of measurables.

I don't care what anyone looks like. I care what they PLAY FOOTBALL like.

Casey played better. He doesnt have the measurables. Neither do Drew Brees, or Johnny Manziel. Players play....we need players, not measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom