Where is UConn at QB? (Silver) | The Boneyard

Where is UConn at QB? (Silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I generally respect Silver, but this piece is garbage. Cochran isn't just in the lead, he has two laps (maybe more) on the rest of the field and should be team Captain. In recent Springs we have had battles for the starting QB, this year everyone should be battling for # 2.

There isn't one receiver, one lineman, one TE, one RB on this team who doesn't want Casey in the huddle with them and I am quite sure our defensive players enjoy not having to carry the team.

My biggest fear with going for a new coach is that we hire some knuckle head who foolishly chooses raw talent over football acumen, accuracy and leadership or needs a different QB to fit his system.

We just went through the painful process of searching for a QB and an offensive identity, do we really need to do it all over again and ruin another season or seasons in the process?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mets --- real talk - if we were playing Alabama tomorrow, which team would you bet on if the line was a pick 'em?

Please, please remember who the last 3 games were against. CC is definitely the leader of the pack at the minute but we have no idea what offense we will be running, which QB's might transfer or not, etc.

With that being said - we should be horrible next year for sure - I'd much rather get thru it with Whitmer and Cochran and get Boyle's redshirt back.

Reaction Score
Mets --- real talk - if we were playing Alabama tomorrow, which team would you bet on if the line was a pick 'em?

Please, please remember who the last 3 games were against. CC is definitely the leader of the pack at the minute but we have no idea what offense we will be running, which QB's might transfer or not, etc.

With that being said - we should be horrible next year for sure - I'd much rather get thru it with Whitmer and Cochran and get Boyle's redshirt back.

After reading your post all I can say is:

Dear Warde, please let TJ Weist be our next head coach.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Completely agree Sean, 2014 should be Cochran's job with Whitmer as the backup while redshirting Boyle (if he doesn't transfer).

Reaction Score

Shouldn't even be a discussion who the QB is next year, I don't care who the competition was. You can only play the opponents you're given the opportunity to face, and he led us to 3 wins when a bunch of us had resigned ourselves to the idea of an 0-12 season.

Reaction Score
Cochran is head and shoulders above everyone else. The only way he doesn't start is if we run the single wing or if he is injured.

Reaction Score
Geremy Davis just finished the season with a flourish in large part thanks to having a QB who could get him the ball and an offense that allowed him to do it, right now i'm sure he is a hot name with the scouts. If i'm Geremy Davis and the next coach comes in and doesn't adopt Casey as his leader and appears to be making drastic changes to the offense it's goodbye UCONN hello NFL. Get out while the getting is good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I almost agree with mets on this. No way is Cochran not the leader and by a wide margin. Any coach who has a lick of sense will see that. My view is that we may have seen Tim Boyle's career at UConn. Cochran has certainly established himself as the man to beat and if he locks down the job next year, as I suspect he will, he will not be replaced by anyone after that. After he is done, it leaves only a year for Boyle, best case, and by then the new coach will have "his" quarterback ready to step in. The coaches did Boyle no favors by starting him this year. He was clearly not ready, and now he is a failed starter rather than a hot prospect. The situation reminds me a little of Texas when Major Applewhite was there along with Chris Simms. One had the pedigree and the tools. The other only won games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Cochran goes in as the starter and him and Boyle battle for the starting gig.

Unfortunately, due to a poor line we probably never got to see Whitmer at his full potential, but as a turnover prone senior, unless he blows them away I'd be shocked if he won the gig.

CC and TJW did a nice job to close the season out.

They are not Brady and belicheck because they beat 3 of the worst teams in FBS. Nobody from a3-9 yam has a wide lead on anyone... except davis...dam he's good!

Reaction Score
After reading your post all I can say is:

Dear Warde, please let TJ Weist be our next head coach.

Thank God you are nowhere near this decision. The hiring process should not include whether the new coach will start Cochran or not. Short sighted and small minded.....the land of steady habits strikes again.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain something to me?

If a QB is extremely accurate and can thread the needle or hit a wide open receiver vs lousy teams, why would he become inaccurate vs good teams?

If you have the ability to read defenses and can time your pass perfectly, does it really matter who the competition is? The better teams may not give the separation as bad teams, but if you're accurate, you're accurate right?

As for Casey being the QB for the rest of his time here Boyle just needs to revisit history.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain something to me?

If a QB is extremely accurate and can thread the needle or hit a wide open receiver vs lousy teams, why would he become inaccurate vs good teams?

If you have the ability to read defenses and can time your pass perfectly, does it really matter who the competition is? The better teams may not give the separation as bad teams, but if you're accurate, you're accurate right?

As for Casey being the QB for the rest of his time here Boyle just needs to revisit history.

It's kinda like that old saying.......everyone's an All-American with no pads on. Some teams disguise their defenses better than others. Other defenses just have better discipline and/or speed. And let's be honest, Memphis had zero interest in playing on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Thank God you are nowhere near this decision. The hiring process should not include whether the new coach will start Cochran or not. Short sighted and small minded.....the land of steady habits strikes again.

I was responding to a post that said we will be "Horrible next year" I assume because he thinks we will be starting over on offense.

Learn the definition of context.

Reaction Score
I was responding to a post that said we will be "Horrible next year" I assume because he thinks we will be starting over on offense.

Learn the definition of context.

I'm sure your subsequent post implying the hire should be made to appease Geremy Davis was also in that same context.

Reaction Score
It's kinda like that old saying.......everyone's an All-American with no pads on. Some teams disguise their defenses better than others. Other defenses just have better discipline and/or speed. And let's be honest, Memphis had zero interest in playing on Saturday.

So better teams cover better and disguise their defenses. So I guess a QB who makes good decisions can still be good if he can check off quickly and make smart choices.

Casey appears to have these qualities. Smart, good decisions, accurate...these don't just go away vs better teams.

Casey appears to go through his progressions very quickly. That alone will help vs better competition.

Reaction Score
I'm sure your subsequent post implying the hire should be made to appease Geremy Davis was also in that same context.

Learn to read, I didn't say that. It's not about doing something to please Geremy Davis, it's about not throwing out what we have learned the past month and starting all over and sending us all into the great unknown.

Reaction Score
So better teams cover better and disguise their defenses. So I guess a QB who makes good decisions can still be good if he can check off quickly and make smart choices.

Casey appears to have these qualities. Smart, good decisions, accurate...these don't just go away vs better teams.

Casey appears to go through his progressions very quickly. That alone will help vs better competition.

Yeah I don't disagree. But there's a reason why you throw for 461 against Memphis and not against Mich St.

Reaction Score
Learn to read, I didn't say that. It's not about doing something to please Geremy Davis, it's about not throwing out what we have learned the past month and starting all over and sending us all into the great unknown.

I guess some people look at the short term and others think bigger picture. Thankfully Warde is a big picture guy and you're just posting on the BY.

Reaction Score
I guess some people look at the short term and others think bigger picture. Thankfully Warde is a big picture guy and you're just posting on the BY.

Remember you wrote that, because if the great unknown turns into a crap fest next season you just lost your right to complain about it.

Reaction Score

One would expect a good QB to have a big day against Memphis, and he did just that. Memphis didn't exactly give before kickoff. They had some fight in them at first. Casey and the offense completely demoralized them.

If we played like we played against USF then there is a chance we lose that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom