Where is our commissioner? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Where is our commissioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I cant get worked up about any team getting snubbed except Seton Hall. That is a direct slap in the face to the league when a 13-7 team with some major Q1a wins cant get a bid. A team 6 games over .500 in this league MUST be a virtual Automatic Qualifier. They really crapped the bed OOC, but still should be in.

St. Johns and Providence you could absolutely make cases for over the likes of the Virginias and FAU's, and Michigan States, but then again, I have no problem understanding the case against them too. That one is on them as much as it is on the committee. They can share the blame.

Reaction Score
And on the women's side the BE only got 3 in - heck the Ivy League got 2. It's not just the mens tourney. There IS something up with the BE
BE women's basketball is not good with only 2 top 25 teams and no other schools receiving votes. Schools need to step up and invest in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Our bubble teams suffered from the separation of the BE top three, weak OOC performance, and four conference games against DePaul and Georgetown. They were not strong bubble teams. The committee has been saying for years that they look at teams not conferences so saying the BE deserved better is a weak argument. You can make a case for St. Johns or Seton Hall but not a strong one. We still might've gotten a couple in before the bid stealers weighed in. That's the thing that bothers me the most; stolen bids should come from the conference that lost them. Otherwise, you've created a financial incentive for a team, secure in its bid, to lose in its conference tourney.

As for the east being stacked, I'm sure Auburn, Illinois, and Iowa State are more pissed off than we are. We'll probably have to play two of them in Boston. I like our chances, but it's not supposed to be easy.
Virginia averages like 63 points per game and St. John's averages 79. Absolutely no one wants to see Virginia in this tournament and they're awful.

Reaction Score
I cant get worked up about any team getting snubbed except Seton Hall. That is a direct slap in the face to the league when a 13-7 team with some major Q1a wins cant get a bid. A team 6 games over .500 in this league MUST be a virtual Automatic Qualifier. They really crapped the bed OOC, but still should be in.

St. Johns and Providence you could absolutely make cases for over the likes of the Virginias and FAU's, and Michigan States, but then again, I have no problem understanding the case against them too. That one is on them as much as it is on the committee. They can share the blame.
Agreed, 13-7 in conference with wins over UConn and Marquette. Unfortunately, this all comes back to the committee clearly thinking the middle of the conference was weaker than some of the metrics suggested, no doubt heavily influence by the underperformance pretty much across the board OOC.

Reaction Score
If they intentionally made it more difficult for us to repeat, so be it.

For all I care they could have put twelve of the fifteen best teams (after us) in our region. Put them in front of us one game at a time and I like our chances.
That's not the point. We are the #1 overall seed in the tournament. The fact is we should have got the easiest bracket, but we didn't. This is total disrespect.

People forgot we were the #4 seed last year when we thought we should have been #2. The fact that we won it all doesn't change the fact that the Big East got disrespected.

Not having more Big East teams into the tournament cost everyone in the conference money, which is why Val needs to speak up for the conference since one of her top priorities is to protect the conference revenue.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Agreed, 13-7 in conference with wins over UConn and Marquette. Unfortunately, this all comes back to the committee clearly thinking the middle of the conference was weaker than some of the metrics suggested, no doubt heavily influence by the underperformance pretty much across the board OOC.
There were some bad performances (Xavier, DePaul, Villanova) but the league went 27-23 against the P5 in the OOC.

Reaction Score
Val has been a disaster as a Commissioner. She put the retiring Butler AD on the committee as the Big East Representative not appreciating the importance of that position but giving him a little recognition going out the door. So he’s MIA while all this very easy to rebuke nonsense is going on and now she is on damage control.
I she even on damage control? I've seen nothing. She's the Warde Manual of commissioners.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'll tell you this. The rest of the league (and the BigEast fanbases are pretty great about circling the wagons and uniting when it is time to be in an Us against them type deal) better all be rooting like hell for UConn, Creighton and Marquette to make the Final Four. It's really the only thing we can do now to jam this down the throats of these hacks, and the Media Coverage the week of the FF will be squarely on these snubs if we put 3 teams in it.

The entire cbb world is going to forget the snubs the second the tournament starts.

You really think final 4 coverage will spend a second on seton Hall?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have to agree with @auror and @tzznandrew. The degree with which UConn specifically, and the BE generally, got screwed is being overblown in this thread. Specific arguments such as St. Johns vs. Texas AM are valid but not to the extreme that is causing all the angst. Every year the committee is different and therefore the criteria of selection most likely will differ year to year. It's confusing but every school has the option to overcome that confusion - play good teams and win.

UConn getting the hardest bracket is a fact, but people pointing to KenPom and tournament championships as their basis for concern are reacting from a place of fear. Less than two weeks ago this forum was overwhelmingly agreeing it was three schools, UConn, Houston and Purdue, that separated themselves and the next fifteen to twenty best teams were interchangeably similar and significantly weaker.

We faced St. Johns and Marquette in the BE tournament - not DePaul or Georgetown. St. Johns had momentum. Marquette was payback. It might not have been the hardest road on paper but it was not a walk in the park either. It was certainly very satisfying.

Our team is tested. They will not look at x team and say I wish we should be playing a y team. They will remind themselves they beat a number one tournament team, played even with one number three team, played better than another three team, lost to a full strength four team by three points with three of our starters compromised, and beat a number five team.

It's time to continue our momentum and rightful place in the basketball hierarchy. We control our destiny. That's the attitude I'm sure our coaches have. That's the attitude I'm sure our players have. I have concerns about the BE and UConn's future within it. But this is not the time for that debate. Nor is it the time for crying about our commissioner's weakness. It makes UConn fans sound weak when we should be celebrating the moment.

Reaction Score
I am starting to wonder if some of these conferences with bid stealers purposely lose just to get another bid for the conference.

In the future, the selection committee should make a rule that if there is a bid stealers, the first one that get its bubble bursted should be another team that's on the bubble in the same conference.

Reaction Score
Supposedly we were the second best conference. Apparently not. The Big East commissioner should be speaking out but maybe she agrees. I hope all 3 big east teams make the final four. Also, hope all other teams have a good offseason. Too often people on these forums celebrate when other Big East teams miss out on recruits. Don’t understand that

Reaction Score
I have to agree with @auror and @tzznandrew. The degree with which UConn specifically, and the BE generally, got screwed is being overblown in this thread. Specific arguments such as St. Johns vs. Texas AM are valid but not to the extreme that is causing all the angst. Every year the committee is different and therefore the criteria of selection most likely will differ year to year. It's confusing but every school has the option to overcome that confusion - play good teams and win.

UConn getting the hardest bracket is a fact, but people pointing to KenPom and tournament championships as their basis for concern are reacting from a place of fear. Less than two weeks ago this forum was overwhelmingly agreeing it was three schools, UConn, Houston and Purdue, that separated themselves and the next fifteen to twenty best teams were interchangeably similar and significantly weaker.

We faced St. Johns and Marquette in the BE tournament - not DePaul or Georgetown. St. Johns had momentum. Marquette was payback. It might not have been the hardest road on paper but it was not a walk in the park either. It was certainly very satisfying.

Our team is tested. They will not look at x team and say I wish we should be playing a y team. They will remind themselves they beat a number one tournament team, played even with one number three team, played better than another three team, lost to a full strength four team by three points with three of our starters compromised, and beat a number five team.

It's time to continue our momentum and rightful place in the basketball hierarchy. We control our destiny. That's the attitude I'm sure our coaches have. That's the attitude I'm sure our players have. I have concerns about the BE and UConn's future within it. But this is not the time for that debate. Nor is it the time for crying about our commissioner's weakness. It makes UConn fans sound weak when we should be celebrating the moment.
Zero fear from me. Uconn and the Big East got screwed. It has nothing to do with fear. I think we're going to win the whole thing if we're healthy, I've thought that since January. I also know we got royally screwed.

Reaction Score
There were some bad performances (Xavier, DePaul, Villanova) but the league went 27-23 against the P5 in the OOC.
But how much of that was us, Marquette, and Creighton? I think that’s the issue. The mid-range teams were largely disappointing in OOC. Butler and Nova probably had the best OOC of the group and then both crapped their pants in league play.

Reaction Score
But how much of that was us, Marquette, and Creighton? I think that’s the issue. The mid-range teams were largely disappointing in OOC. Butler and Nova probably had the best OOC of the group and then both crapped their pants in league play.
Are you looking at all the other teams? FAU got their butts kicked by Bryant and they play in an absolute dog s^^^ conference. Nevada played nobody out of conference. Virginia beat Florida and A&M and got absolutely demolished by Memphis and Wisconsin. The ACC is incredibly weak.

Reaction Score
I said back in December that the conferences (outside of UConn & Marquette) lack of OOC wins was concerning and this could end up a 4 bid league. Yesterday was even worse than I thought it could be.

With that said, I think Providence did enough in conference to earn a bid (they beat Marquette and 2X Creighton) and St. John’s had good metrics even though they really only had 1 signature win… especially compared to Virginia or the MWC teams whose best win on the season (outside of their league) was over Creighton (which PC did 2X and St. John’s did as well).

Seton Hall has 2 of the best wins in the country with wins over UConn and Marquette.

But we pooped the bed, as a league, in the non conference slate this year. Outside of the BIG / 12 challenges the middle / bottom tier teams in the league don’t really schedule any good games and participate in tier 2 or 3 MTEs.

IMO, this needs to be addressed by the commissioner (privately is okay) to ensure we don’t get screwed like this going forward. Plus teach these teams how to game the metrics like the Big 12 and SEC (Auburn had 1 win against a top 85 KenPom team away from home before this past weekend but was consistently a Top 10 team in the metrics).

Val is a useless commissioner though whose only good move since we’ve rejoined the league was extending the MSG contract, so I doubt she does anything about it.

I’m hoping a strong OOC showing next year has this league back to getting 5 or 6 bids. If not, it could be a signal from the NCAA of how they view the Big East as a “power” conference…
I hate to break it to you but outside the NEWBIE bubble, the Big East is viewed as a “high mid-major.” Closer to the MWC than the ACC or Big 10 or 12. You can through all the metrics around that you want. Doesn’t matter. It is perception. This selection just further confirms that view outside the bubble. UConn is viewed in the same way Gonzaga is. Power program in a lesser conference. If UConn were to leave the NEWBIE it would absolutely be viewed as the mid-major.

Reaction Score
Are you looking at all the other teams? FAU got their butts kicked by Bryant and they play in an absolute dog s^^^ conference. Nevada played nobody out of conference. Virginia beat Florida and A&M and got absolutely demolished by Memphis and Wisconsin. The ACC is incredibly weak.
I’m not disagreeing with you. FAU is clearly in based on the fact that they went to the F4 last year. If they don’t do that, not a chance they’re in the field this year. There are other head-scratchers, I’m just saying why the committee undervalued the mid-tier teams beating up on each other. They need to take care of business OOC so that our league isn’t viewed as completely top-heavy.

Reaction Score
I hate to break it to you but outside the NEWBIE bubble, the Big East is viewed as a “high mid-major.” Closer to the MWC than the ACC or Big 10 or 12. You can through all the metrics around that you want. Doesn’t matter. It is perception. This selection just further confirms that view outside the bubble. UConn is viewed in the same way Gonzaga is. Power program in a lesser conference. If UConn were to leave the NEWBIE it would absolutely be viewed as the mid-major.
Your posts are somehow getting even worse by the day.

Reaction Score
Put Calhoun or Hurley Sr in there and we'll get some results. In reality the The National Champs should get to pick the representative. It's called credibility.
You all realize that the representative from any conference has to leave the room when we discuss that conference’s team, right?

Reaction Score
Are they?
adding the two worst pac brands to the MW and calling it the pac is the definition of polishing a turd. the new pac will be a power conference like the aac was a power conference

Reaction Score
Seton Hall and St. John's should have been in, I know the bubble shrank but to not have them be at least in the first four is dumb. Yet Michigan St gets their annual pass that they get every year.
You know what else though? Maybe it shouldn’t, but history and reputation matter. They just do. If selection were only metrics, like say Hockey, it would be different. But when a traditional power is on the bubble, it gets the benefit of the doubt. Michigan State and Virginia are going to get it. UConn likely will at some point in the future. For years crappy Indiana teams got in because they were Indiana. Georgetown got them in the 90s. There are going to be a couple of “legacy bids” every year. There always are. Usually they are less obvious but with the advent of all the metric nonsense plus the high number of upsets for league tournaments this year, they aren’t as well hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom