Where does the team need to improve? | The Boneyard

Where does the team need to improve?

Reaction Score
I think the most important place to improve is shooting. Last year UConn finished 163rd in FG percentge in D1. Our standing in 3-point shooting percentage was 175th. Those are exactly the numbers one would expect from a middle of the pack team struggling to get to .500. Which is what we were. We were 6-12 in the AAC last year, 16-17 overall.

Scoring also allows a team to set their defense. Shooting a better percentage will help us defensively because it deprives the opposition of the opportunity for fast breaks and secondary breaks. Scoring also helps players' confidence, which enhances overall play. Improve our shooting and it should help our defense.

Yes, we need to improve our defense. But getting both FG and 3-point FG percecntage into the top 100 should impact the W/L column.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have to play the aggressive defense hurley wants without fouling so much. Last season we put the other team in the bonus early all the time. We should be much better at that.

We also have to find a rotation that keeps everyone happy. Besides Springs (and maybe even him), everyone else on the team expects play major minutes. Hopefully we have enough blowout wins to reduce this issue.

Most of the responses will focus on the backup center position which is valid but it’s been discussed a lot already.

Reaction Score
Actually, history tells us that we need to improve on both sides of the ledger, offense and defense, if we want to get back to elite status. Yes, it is important we improve our 3-point FG% from 175th... but it is also just as important that our defensive efficiency improves substantially from a ranking of 125th last year.

The following article did an indepth dive on the characteristics of the tournament-winning teams from 2003 through 2012 (including our teams from 2004 and 2011. Here was their conclusion:

Improving both our offensive and defensive efficiency from last year are roughly equally important to our progress this year. We were average to below average on both sides.

What I found just as interesting in their analysis was this part of the article's conclusion: "If we accept the premise that defending the rim and crashing the offensive glass are critical components of most championship teams, it puts a premium on having size."

Our 2011 championship is referred to directly in the summary - and you can plainly see that Hurley and our current coaching staff are clearly following this blueprint that Calhoun subscribed to with who they are prioritizing in recruiting. The one thing you can not teach is size... plain and simple.

Here is the article for those who are interested... it is quite illuminating:

Reaction Score
1) Passing. Sid, Polley, and Carlton need to learn to move the rock. 1.3 AST between the 3 of them for 69 minutes of playing time at the 3/4/5 is atrocious. Beyond atrocious. Particularly Polley and Sid. You should get 1 APG just by reversing the freaking ball. It stagnates our offense and gets the ball out of our best players' hands. We need players like Rique and Vital to be able to move off the ball and trust we're not going to get a low % shot from the frontcourt.

2) Shooting. I think we were *okay* last year, but not great. Our lead guards need to do better, and I think they will. 35% from Jalen and 33% from Rique is not good enough to be great. Feels like the last time we had a healthy Rique I didn't have chest hairs. This off-season was huge for him. Gaffney, Bouk, Rique, Vital, Polley, and Akok should all be shooters. 4 shooters on the floor could do wonders for this squad. Hopefully, we can collectively get up 35% on a healthy number of attempts.

3) Defense. Mentioned this in a PM a few minutes ago. Last year, hurley had to scheme to make out defense work, because of some physical and mental limitations. We were on our heels against the offense. This year, we start to see a more hurley-like defense. Dictating the pace of the game, speeding the offense up, generating turnovers, legnth, athleticism...

Bouk, Gaffney, Bouk, Adams, and a little bit of Vital should be able to pressure 94 feet from the 1 and 2 spot. Seems like a recipe to wreak some havoc. For all of the amazing things Jalen Adams did, defense was not one of them. I think we upgrade. I worry about Rique--he's great at pressuring the ball in the backcourt, but it also seems like his man got to the elbow at will. He's a guy that Hurley is having to build a defense to protect. Vital too, to an extent. This isn't *bad* they both bring tons of good to the table. And are also good defenders--just not as versatile as I think this team will see in a few years with Hurley. I am excited for Gaffney/Bouk/Akok--I think these are guys that by the middle of January can be excellent defenders. They have size, length and athleticism to smother offenses.

Reaction Score
Actually, history tells us that we need to improve on both sides of the ledger, offense and defense, if we want to get back to elite status. Yes, it is important we improve our 3-point FG% from 175th... but it is also just as important that our defensive efficiency improves substantially from a ranking of 125th last year.

The following article did an indepth dive on the characteristics of the tournament-winning teams from 2003 through 2012 (including our teams from 2004 and 2011. Here was their conclusion:

Improving both our offensive and defensive efficiency from last year are roughly equally important to our progress this year. We were average to below average on both sides.

What I found just as interesting in their analysis was this part of the article's conclusion: "If we accept the premise that defending the rim and crashing the offensive glass are critical components of most championship teams, it puts a premium on having size."

Our 2011 championship is referred to directly in the summary - and you can plainly see that Hurley and our current coaching staff are clearly following this blueprint that Calhoun subscribed to with who they are prioritizing in recruiting. The one thing you can not teach is size... plain and simple.

Here is the article for those who are interested... it is quite illuminating:

That’s an awesome article, thanks for sharing. I’m curious about how the last seven National Champions fared in those categories, though not curious enough to do my own analysis yet. I know I made a post a while back about UConn’s decline in offensive rebounding ability since our years as an elite team. If you’re not going to get second-chance points, you’d better shoot the lights out; we haven’t done either recently. And on defense, we used to block shots without fouling excessively. We still have a ways to go, but I think the athleticism of our recent recruits, including Andre Jackson hopefully, bodes well for our future.

Reaction Score
Basketball IQ, toughness, and winning habits. Some things were better last year, but there's still a lot of room for growth.

Reaction Score
Defense -> Offense. Some scrappy D leads to ez buckets in transition. Execution will show how this season goes.

As far as half-court offense, this year it will be more balanced then the iso type format with JA. Ball movement will be key to get ez scoring opportunities. I like AG as a point guard more than JA. Vital and Polley have proven lethal at the 3. Bouk Gaffney and Akoks abilities to shoot the 3 and BA showing his stroke that he has in practice and not in games will be key. Carlton showed excellence late last season. A great offseason and he should be a huge factor this season. Very excited to watch this team

Reaction Score
I think the most important place to improve is shooting. Last year UConn finished 163rd in FG percentge in D1. Our standing in 3-point shooting percentage was 175th. Those are exactly the numbers one would expect from a middle of the pack team struggling to get to .500. Which is what we were. We were 6-12 in the AAC last year, 16-17 overall.

Scoring also allows a team to set their defense. Shooting a better percentage will help us defensively because it deprives the opposition of the opportunity for fast breaks and secondary breaks. Scoring also helps players' confidence, which enhances overall play. Improve our shooting and it should help our defense.

Yes, we need to improve our defense. But getting both FG and 3-point FG percecntage into the top 100 should impact the W/L column.
For me the raw shooing percentage is only a rough gage.
I thought defense was the biggest area of weakness. With our guards I expected us turning teams over not only holding down their scoring but increasing our fast break points and upping our shooting %.
I’m a little surprised our three point shooting was not that great with Gilbert , Adams , Vital , and Polley all able to knock down 3’s at acceptable if not great rates. But after those four Smith, Wilson , Adams shot in the in the 2+ range Dragging down our % significantly. Smith was surprisingly awful.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Play making.

Jalen and Alterique had to create everything

Reaction Score
Leadership: Its an intangible but all of our Championships and 'winning' teams had that leader. Loved seeing the Coach on the floor, the encourager, pusher, example setter, fierceness and grittiness of UConn floor leaders.

If one emerges then we will be in great shape. Been missing one since Bazz (Boat had nothing to work with). Since then I believe AG deferred to Jalen, and Vital as well, so lets see if either one of them steps up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
1) Passing. Sid, Polley, and Carlton need to learn to move the rock. 1.3 AST between the 3 of them for 69 minutes of playing time at the 3/4/5 is atrocious. Beyond atrocious. Particularly Polley and Sid. You should get 1 APG just by reversing the freaking ball. It stagnates our offense and gets the ball out of our best players' hands. We need players like Rique and Vital to be able to move off the ball and trust we're not going to get a low % shot from the frontcourt.

2) Shooting. I think we were *okay* last year, but not great. Our lead guards need to do better, and I think they will. 35% from Jalen and 33% from Rique is not good enough to be great. Feels like the last time we had a healthy Rique I didn't have chest hairs. This off-season was huge for him. Gaffney, Bouk, Rique, Vital, Polley, and Akok should all be shooters. 4 shooters on the floor could do wonders for this squad. Hopefully, we can collectively get up 35% on a healthy number of attempts.

3) Defense. Mentioned this in a PM a few minutes ago. Last year, hurley had to scheme to make out defense work, because of some physical and mental limitations. We were on our heels against the offense. This year, we start to see a more hurley-like defense. Dictating the pace of the game, speeding the offense up, generating turnovers, legnth, athleticism...

Bouk, Gaffney, Bouk, Adams, and a little bit of Vital should be able to pressure 94 feet from the 1 and 2 spot. Seems like a recipe to wreak some havoc. For all of the amazing things Jalen Adams did, defense was not one of them. I think we upgrade. I worry about Rique--he's great at pressuring the ball in the backcourt, but it also seems like his man got to the elbow at will. He's a guy that Hurley is having to build a defense to protect. Vital too, to an extent. This isn't *bad* they both bring tons of good to the table. And are also good defenders--just not as versatile as I think this team will see in a few years with Hurley. I am excited for Gaffney/Bouk/Akok--I think these are guys that by the middle of January can be excellent defenders. They have size, length and athleticism to smother offenses.

Plus rebounding.

Reaction Score
This maybe outdated based on current advanced metrics but —defense and rebounding.

People can have poor shooting nights. Sometimes it’s hard to shoot well on the road.

But you can always hang your hat on defense and rebounding.

Reaction Score
Plus rebounding.

Yes. I just didn't want to be over the top.

Specifically reblunding from the 3-4-5. Christian is a warrior for what he does underneath rebounding , but our team is better served if he can get out and run. He did what he had to.

C

Chief00

Below are Chief’s 5 improvement areas:
- Shooting
- Rebounding
- Productive ball movement
- Shot blocking
- Continue last season’s improvement playing the high screen better on D

I am surprise there wasn’t more mention of rebounding.

Reaction Score
I’ve been preaching Defense since early last season.
I’ve come up with a superficial analysis of what happened to a thing i thought ,with a healthy Gilbert , would be a strength.
1. I loved Jalen and I’m not in the school that he was a poor defender. I laugh at guysv
who say he wasn’t a P.G . He will play that position at he next level..Maybe he easn’tgreat but in previous years especially when Gilbert was healthy he was more than adequate.
I’m sadly going to say he simply never bought in last season possibly due to PTSD
2. Rim protector. Carlton improved as the year went on but except those few moments when Yakwe wasn’t hurt the we had zero backup.
Cobb was a statue on defense.
Watch highlights of the FSU game comeback and the front man could gamble more
Although this hasn’t been addressed totally. The backup 5 of Whaley and Springs plus the length of Akok and Polley enable the guards to be more aggressive.
When you know if your man beats you it will be a easy bucket it gets into your head.
3. The three guard offense with a 6’1” guy playing the three spot was also a big contributor.
additional length at the three also makes it more difficult for an entry pass.
I was envisioning someone with length and athleticism at the three.
Hurley says he plays three guards but in the last few years due to personnel we played three smalls ,that is not what Hurley wants to do.
Even in 2016-17 we had Rodney theire , although only 6’4” he was a super athlete who could guard a 6’ 5-7” three.
KO played 3 small guards in 2017-18 because that team totally lacked shooters.
That year was the most undermanned team since JC ‘s first year.
Last year Hurley had a little more depth but again didn’t have a three who could shoot.
We payed the price defensively.
A legitimate 3 or even a big 2/3 type should help.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rebounding
3pt shooting
play D with the feet
has the pick and roll died in college bb?

Reaction Score
The #1 thing we need to do is learn how to win again, specifically by making the most of those crucial possessions with 3, 4, 5 minutes left in a close game. The possessions where a key offensive play or defensive stop gives you the edge with 2 minutes to go and makes the other team chase you. That was Calhoun's particular brilliance and we've been awful in those situations for the last few years.

I'm hoping some of the new personalities in the mix can help us turn that corner. Once we do, I think the rest will fall into place.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Polley over passed. Often threw the ball back immediately. It wasn’t from being a ball hog, quite the opposite. Carlton had no slashing cutters to pass to. And honestly, at 60%+ I don’t want him passing often. Hopefully Akok or Sid change his options. We need Polley to be more aggressive shooting and to pass...after he’s done something to break down the D. That’s key for a lot of these guys. Vital needs to share the ball, especially on the break. He was terrible about passing in transition.

Agree on defense. I expect the key will be effort, intensity and playing smart. Having shot blockers down low changes things. Funnel the opposition to those guys. Block shots and run the other way. That’s is quintessential UConn basketball. It’s one reason I think Sid is more useful than people expect. His weak side shot blocking is superb. Adams is going to be a beast on D. That’s my prediction.

Reaction Score
No shot blocking since Brimah left has hurt. Akok fix that? Also could someone rank our 3 point shooters from best to worst? ( based on pt and attempts also)

Reaction Score
A quote from the end of the article:
"Recruiting players with size should be a priority for any program. Having players who block shots and rebound is probably every bit as important as having guys who can score. It seems obvious, but basketball favors the tall. It is probably a good idea to have at least one or two really big guys in every class. Jim Calhoun coached very few teams that didn't have at least six or seven guys 6-7 or taller and a few guys taller than 6-10. Calhoun also won three NCAA championships. "

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
A quote from the end of the article:
"Recruiting players with size should be a priority for any program. Having players who block shots and rebound is probably every bit as important as having guys who can score. It seems obvious, but basketball favors the tall. It is probably a good idea to have at least one or two really big guys in every class. Jim Calhoun coached very few teams that didn't have at least six or seven guys 6-7 or taller and a few guys taller than 6-10. Calhoun also won three NCAA championships. "

Carlton 6'11
Akok 6'9.5
Polley 6'9.5
Springs 6'9.5
Whaley 6'8.5
Wilson 6'7

Improving in that aspect. Imminent(10/15):confused: commitments from Andre Jackson 6'6 and a big man(6'10 Dylan Cardwell?).

Possibly another scholarship coming open for Cam, Cliff(spring), or Grad Transfer. 2021 Javonte Brown-Ferguson 7'0 may be an option as well considering the staff's ability to bring Springs into the fold.

2020 UConn can and should have the look of one of those Calhoun coached, nationally feared, championship contenders.

*Need those guys to play with that extra .5 every game this season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom