Where Does Geno see Andrea Espinoza-Hunter Fitting In Next Season? | The Boneyard

Where Does Geno see Andrea Espinoza-Hunter Fitting In Next Season?

Reaction Score
Where do you believe Geno feels Andrea Espinoza-Hunter fitting in next season? As a backup to Crystal Dangerfield at the point? Or is AEH more of a 2 Guard? Does AEH sit behind Molly Bent on the depth chart? What do people think?

Reaction Score
She's not a point but should start working on being one. Her handle and decisions making needs to be better. But I see her playing more time than Molly because she is a better offensive player. Molly didn't impress me as being an Uconn contributor like everyone thought she would.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'd like to see one of the incoming frosh redshirt. Im afraid one may transfer due to PT. our depth will be scary good

The bench next season will be the deepest in years. The only players that IMO would have cause to ponder transfer are Bent and Irwin. I don't think they would. I believe they knew what they where signing up for when they accepted the Scolly. I'd be very surprised if either of them transferred. Geno may have some challenges next season, but bench depth won't be one of them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The subject of transferring is a no no on the BY, according Husky Nan.
Only if one is speculating on a particular player transferring. I also wonder if, with so many quality players, if someone not getting the PT might choose to leave. But we won't even know who's earning PT till next year. We have no idea how the kids will practice, who will excel, and who will earn PT... I hear ya - we should never say "I think player may transfer", but wondering or worrying that we won't have enough PT to go around isn't out of bounds IMHO... :)

Reaction Score
I saw AEH play two games earlier in the season here in Fairfax, VA, scoring 41 & 49 points from all over the floor, inside, from 3-point and from mid-range. I was very impressed. I also saw Walker play two times with more moderate scoring. I will not be surprised at all if Hunter becomes the more versatile player at UConn.

Reaction Score
The only given in this discussion, in my extremely humble opinion, is that none of us know what will happen over the summer. We just can't know how the new youngsters will adapt to college life and playing for the Huskies. We also don't know what kind of sophomore jump the current freshmen will make with a year of UConn boot camp under their belts. All will be revealed next October.

Reaction Score

From what I have seen/heard Coombs is already an excellent defensive player...........Geno just compared her to Kia the other day.................I predict she will become a Geno/fan favorite very quickly and when the going gets tough she may very well get the first call off the bench............I've seen AEH more often and would say that while she is an "adequate" defender, she will have a lot to learn to become a UConn defender...........

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Only if one is speculating on a particular player transferring. I also wonder if, with so many quality players, if someone not getting the PT might choose to leave. But we won't even know who's earning PT till next year. We have no idea how the kids will practice, who will excel, and who will earn PT... I hear ya - we should never say "I think player may transfer", but wondering or worrying that we won't have enough PT to go around isn't out of bounds IMHO... :)
That is fine with me. If it does not bother the moderators it does not bother me. I have wondered the same as thing you are wondering about playing time.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Where do you believe Geno feels Andrea Espinoza-Hunter fitting in next season? As a backup to Crystal Dangerfield at the point? Or is AEH more of a 2 Guard? Does AEH sit behind Molly Bent on the depth chart? What do people think?

I am thinking off the bench scoring while KLS or Kia rest. Next year the bench will be strong. There may be a "2nd team." Kia may convince Geno that hockey substitutions are a good thing. :rolleyes: Since Geno stresses doing what you do well and freshman typically don't do a lot well, I believe she will focus initially on being a scorer while she learns the UCONN offensive and defensive philosophy and style. Not unlike last year's KLS version 1.0. ;) Anyone who scores 944 points in a season probably shoots the ball well. She made 97 3FG, 231 2FG, and 191 FT. Don't know any shooting %s.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
From what I have seen/heard Coombs is already an excellent defensive player......Geno just compared her to Kia the other day.......I predict she will become a Geno/fan favorite very quickly and when the going gets tough she may very well get the first call off the bench..I've seen AEH more often and would say that while she is an "adequate" defender, she will have a lot to learn to become a UConn defender......
That's my hope, that Mikayla will be an outstanding defender and sooner rather than later. I have often felt like that was a vulnerability this year: not just a lack of depth and size in general, but also the lack of an athletic, disruptive defender with a little size.

She's one I'll be watching. Along with the other three. ;)

Reaction Score
Sadly I think AEH may be number 10 or 11 on the depth chart. I say that with no negativity, but just reality. Time will tell though, you never know how the freshmen will be.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Where do you believe Geno feels Andrea Espinoza-Hunter fitting in next season?

Geno will put her at the "freshman" position, just has he has done with every single freshman who has come into the program. It is widely known that Geno gives playing time to those who not only deserve it but demonstrate it. This has not changed in his 30+ years at the helm. She is not above nor below any freshman who has come before her, including the likes of a DT or Maya. Prove to him you belong as the starting 2 guard and that's where you'll be. Nothing has changed.

The question now remains who out of the 4 freshman come in with the right attitude and are ready to perform at a Connecticut level. It is sure not easy, we all know that. And we always hope for the best.

But honestly folks, let's not pretend this is something new to us. We know the team and we know Geno so this really isn't much of a valuable question at the moment.

Reaction Score
I am thinking off the bench scoring while KLS or Kia rest. Next year the bench will be strong. There may be a "2nd team." Kia may convince Geno that hockey substitutions are a good thing. :rolleyes: Since Geno stresses doing what you do well and freshman typically don't do a lot well, I believe she will focus initially on being a scorer while she learns the UCONN offensive and defensive philosophy and style. Not unlike last year's KLS version 1.0. ;) Anyone who scores 944 points in a season probably shoots the ball well. She made 97 3FG, 231 2FG, and 191 FT. Don't know any shooting %s.
She may very well be a good shooter, but after watching some of her video she'll have some serious adjustments to make when she finds herself actually being guarded.

Reaction Score
I hate to think this way about any of our guys, but I can't see how Molly gets any PT at all next year. I was really disappointed that she just refused to shoot most of the time. I don't know anything about her background, but she must have had something to be chosen for our team. She really didn't look that bad just playing the point for the limited minutes she got.

Reaction Score
That's my hope, that Mikayla will be an outstanding defender and sooner rather than later. I have often felt like that was a vulnerability this year: not just a lack of depth and size in general, but also the lack of an athletic, disruptive defender with a little size.

"Lack of an athletic, disruptive defender with a little size." Do you mean coming off the bench? Surely Kia and Gabby fit that description.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
"Lack of an athletic, disruptive defender with a little size." Do you mean coming off the bench? Surely Kia and Gabby fit that description.
Coming off the bench, yes. Kia fits that description but I want some back up for her, especially since Danger "Guns" Dangerfield is only 5'5" (so listed). Put another way, I want a Bria Hartley type to be able to come in and be a disruptive force defensively. I don't see Mikayla contributing a lot offensively next year, but she could sure help out defensively.

Regarding Gabby: Maybe she fits the bill next year (defending on the perimeter). That would be exciting. The good news is that there will be options.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Fear not Gus. The worst is over. We weathered the storm. The storm clouds are gone, calm seas are directly ahead. The vulnerabilities you mentioned will not be an issue next season.

Reaction Score
The only given in this discussion, in my extremely humble opinion, is that none of us know what will happen over the summer. We just can't know how the new youngsters will adapt to college life and playing for the Huskies. We also don't know what kind of sophomore jump the current freshmen will make with a year of UConn boot camp under their belts. All will be revealed next October.

Amen! Thanks for the most excellent comment. Speculation like this whole thread drives me a little nuts so I really appreciate the thoughts. We can speculate a few weeks before the next season starts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Charlie and Gus that Mikayla has the tools to be an excellent defender, including quickness and decent size.

I don't think Andi or Lexi will have big roles next year, but they will learn and get their chances later on. They should be solid scorers in the 3rd and especially 4th quarters. Andi is not at the KML level, but she is a solid shooter from distance. Against zone defenses, she may get some PT.

Reaction Score
I agree with Charlie and Gus that Mikayla has the tools to be an excellent defender, including quickness and decent size.

I don't think Andi or Lexi will have big roles next year, but they will learn and get their chances later on. They should be solid scorers in the 3rd and especially 4th quarters. Andi is not at the KML level, but she is a solid shooter from distance. Against zone defenses, she may get some PT.

I would agree that of the new four AEH's all around game probably needs the most work.............that said, she has the highest upside as an outside shooter.............as a high school senior she's has been forced into being a high volume shooter but in her future role at UConn, I think she could flourish as she becomes much more selective

Reaction Score

I concur. A "second" team may be in the making but from what I have observed in the past, Geno likes to put freshman on the floor with experienced veterans as it brings stability to their game and builds confidence. However, most of the freshman feel like they don't want to make a mistake in front of the coaches while in a real game. Observe Danger when a risky pass goes astray. Looks right at the bench for a reaction.

What will be totally eliminated will be the two foul problem in the first period. And, if the young folks can set up plays and score, they will build trust for the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom