Where Does Geno see Andrea Espinoza-Hunter Fitting In Next Season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where Does Geno see Andrea Espinoza-Hunter Fitting In Next Season?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I concur. A "second" team may be in the making but from what I have observed in the past, Geno likes to put freshman on the floor with experienced veterans as it brings stability to their game and builds confidence. However, most of the freshman feel like they don't want to make a mistake in front of the coaches while in a real game. Observe Danger when a risky pass goes astray. Looks right at the bench for a reaction.

What will be totally eliminated will be the two foul problem in the first period. And, if the young folks can set up plays and score, they will build trust for the future.
Geno strongly prefers mistakes while being aggressive to other types. So if they are taking good shots, he may be ok with that. I think next year's group will be more willing to shoot than Molly and Kyla have been this season.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Fear not Gus. The worst is over. We weathered the storm. The storm clouds are gone, calm seas are directly ahead. The vulnerabilities you mentioned will not be an issue next season.
upload_2017-3-15_10-48-3.png
Six games to go this year............................

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
View attachment 20780 Six games to go this year........

In Geno we trust. I Geno I trust!!! To quote Geno from two years ago in a quick interview during the NCAA Tourny. "If we were going to lose, we'd have done it by now". I realize that it's a different place, and a different time. We're at the end of the journey. The championship trophy is so close, you can almost reach out and grab it.

The team (and staff) have gone through a lot of trials and tribulations this year. The only thing left now is to claim the ultimate prize. Geno began getting his team ready for these last six games back in October. He knows the landscape. He knows exactly what to expect, and where his girls need to be to vanquish and dominate the would-be challengers. You're not going to surprise Geno, or out guess him, or out coach him at this point in the season.

The team is healthy, rested, mentally and physically prepared to play these last six games.......................one game at a time. Right now, 100% of their focus is on Albany, no one else. They will traverse the terrain that is the NCAA tournament as they di the regular season, TOGETHER. As the late George Allen once told his Washington Redskins in a huddle just before a game: "40 men together can't lose". In our case, 10 players, but the thought and philosophy are the same.

If you look at UConn's last 3-4 games, one can see the synergy with which they play. one can tell, they're ready. They'll never be anymore prepared and ready to play that right now. The weather forecast for the next 3 weeks: UConn weather, 75 degrees and sunny. Perfect weather for a basketball tournament.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
View attachment 20780 Six games to go this year........

Oldbones, that picture depicts the current weather conditions for the other teams in the Bridgeport regional, not UConn.
The tornado in the foreground, the one that that appears to be coming directly at you, that's UConn.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree that the speculation is pretty pointless until we see how the ducklings adapt to the water! But I do remember back when Geno had a lot of pretty quick and athletic players and a Uconn team that thrived on a lot of full court pressure and VERY aggressive defense and I could see a revival of that kind of defensive pressure with the returning players and the four freshman. And that long ago time was prior to a 10 second rule so teams could take 20 seconds working their way up court and frequently did. Part of running that defense is not just having cover for extra fouls, but also having bodies to give breathers to the starters because it is exhausting going full out for five minute stretches. Next year's team could challenge the NCAA record on fewest points allowed if enough of the freshmen adapt fairly quickly and Geno goes in that direction. When Uconn traps this year and picks up full court they are pretty scary - imagine the added aggression if players aren't worried about picking up a foul, or being able to sustain the energy for 40 minutes.

On the 'transfer discussion' question even when it is 'non-player specific it is skirting the line of inappropriateness. It is a team and a family, and the idea that someone might be unhappy isn't really our discussion domain, and assumptions/implications can be pretty easily drawn even if it is a generic statement with no specifics. Looking at past history we have averaged about one transfer per year for quite a while now, so obviously it would not be surprising if that average were to be maintained, but we don't really need to comment or speculate.

I personally feel the same way about 'red-shirting' incoming players - as far as I know Uconn has only ever done that once, with Jessica Moore in 2001. She was from Alaska had potential but had very little quality experience and was joining a loaded team with lots of forwards/post players and it was I think discussed in the recruiting process. Every other player who has red-shirted has done so because of injury or illness - some could perhaps have come back and played at the end of the season, but it was a mutual decision between coach and player to reset and preserve the year of eligibility.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The weather forecast for the next 3 weeks: UConn weather, 75 degrees and sunny. Perfect weather for a basketball tournament.
Very poetic, but here in Storrs, in the real, non-poetical universe, that there forecast only exists in our daydreams! I am looking at neigh on a foot of snow, and a thermometer what reads 22! I will give you bright sunlight and patches of brilliant blue sky!:cool:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I agree that the speculation is pretty pointless until we see how the ducklings adapt to the water! But I do remember back when Geno had a lot of pretty quick and athletic players and a Uconn team that thrived on a lot of full court pressure and VERY aggressive defense and I could see a revival of that kind of defensive pressure with the returning players and the four freshman. And that long ago time was prior to a 10 second rule so teams could take 20 seconds working their way up court and frequently did. Part of running that defense is not just having cover for extra fouls, but also having bodies to give breathers to the starters because it is exhausting going full out for five minute stretches. Next year's team could challenge the NCAA record on fewest points allowed if enough of the freshmen adapt fairly quickly and Geno goes in that direction. When Uconn traps this year and picks up full court they are pretty scary - imagine the added aggression if players aren't worried about picking up a foul, or being able to sustain the energy for 40 minutes.

On the 'transfer discussion' question even when it is 'non-player specific it is skirting the line of inappropriateness. It is a team and a family, and the idea that someone might be unhappy isn't really our discussion domain, and assumptions/implications can be pretty easily drawn even if it is a generic statement with no specifics. Looking at past history we have averaged about one transfer per year for quite a while now, so obviously it would not be surprising if that average were to be maintained, but we don't really need to comment or speculate.

I personally feel the same way about 'red-shirting' incoming players - as far as I know Uconn has only ever done that once, with Jessica Moore in 2001. She was from Alaska had potential but had very little quality experience and was joining a loaded team with lots of forwards/post players and it was I think discussed in the recruiting process. Every other player who has red-shirted has done so because of injury or illness - some could perhaps have come back and played at the end of the season, but it was a mutual decision between coach and player to reset and preserve the year of eligibility.

I understand your point about redshirting. But 14 players? Even for a genius like Geno who prefers playing 8 at the most. It means a wonderful player like Lexi Gordon might be tenth man. Some might think it is an enviable problem to have. I think juggling that much talent is every bit as difficult as playing with a short bench.

Reaction Score
She's not a point but should start working on being one. Her handle and decisions making needs to be better. But I see her playing more time than Molly because she is a better offensive player. Molly didn't impress me as being an Uconn contributor like everyone thought she would.
So if Molly failed to impress as a Frosh--what makes anyone think AEH shall do better??
We'll have to wait until next year to see what falls out but the indicators are: the frosh will sit and learn, until clean up time-along with Molly and Kyla.
Walker will being by sitting some and learning a lot--but if she is the talent she should be: she'll be working along side of Danger and get lots of PT with the Big 5 : Katie Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, Azura ,Batouly , Kia (sorry that's six). If the cards fall right--Geno could do the DePaul system and replace 3 or more at a time and work nearly everyone (who is good enough) into most games--poor geno afflicted with too much talent--poor guy getting killed by riches..

Reaction Score
I understand your point about redshirting. But 14 players? Even for a genius like Geno who prefers playing 8 at the most. It means a wonderful player like Lexi Gordon might be tenth man. Some might think it is an enviable problem to have. I think juggling that much talent is every bit as difficult as playing with a short bench.
Geno --prefers what he has --playing 8 or playing 12---and he has done both. When he was loaded with talent --back in the Shea/Sveta/Dt/Swin/Tamika/Sue /Waters/etc he had at least 10 (some of who avoid my memory) that Chris Dailey kept a tab of who got what game time not a job she though highly of. So the abundance of talent is like the abundance of money--a wealthy man knows how to use it-- a poor many tends to waste it---Geno knows wealth.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Very poetic, but here in Storrs, in the real, non-poetical universe, that there forecast only exists in our daydreams! I am looking at neigh on a foot of snow, and a thermometer what reads 22! I will give you bright sunlight and patches of brilliant blue sky!:cool:

I'm sorry UCM, I got carried away. I'm out here in Southern California. Yesterday, it was 84 degrees here. Today, much of the same. I saw on the news that the Northeast is experiencing a nasty winter snap this week. Snow everywhere, burrrrr. :confused: If there were anyway I could send you some of this hot weather we're having, I'd do it!!.

The "UConn weather" that I referenced was of course metaphorically speaking. Like the peanuts character below, that always had the rain could directly over him where every he went. I'm being totally optimistic here. That UConn tournament weather will follow them WHERE EVER they go for the next 3 weeks. Next to Christmas, THIS is the most wonderful time of the year!!!! Can they do it? If not us, who? Can they actually pull this off? I think they can. I really really like our chances. One day at a time. One game at a time, taking no days off. To barrow a phrase from Bill Belichick (New England Patriots head coach), I would like for that to be the mantra of UConn Nation, now to the end of the season (and beyond)........."NO DAYS OFF".

upload_2017-3-15_11-13-28.jpeg

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
She may very well be a good shooter, but after watching some of her video she'll have some serious adjustments to make when she finds herself actually being guarded.

While being on the floor with Stevens, Williams, Nurse, and Collier what are the odds any freshman will be closely guarded? This was KLS' situation with Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, and Nurse on the floor. KLS just ran to her spot with her hands prepared to "catch and release." Heck even if only three of them are on the floor. no frosh will be defensively shadowed. Williams will have probably 200 assists just feeding Collier down low. Now she will have the option of Stevens as well. If the opposition doesn't pack the post they won't be within 50 points of UCONN ... at half time! Espinoza-Hunter will have plenty of uncontested perimeter shots available to her. Whether she practices well enough to earn playing time; well this is another matter.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm sorry UCM, I got carried away. I'm out here in Southern California. Yesterday, it was 84 degrees here. Today, much of the same. I saw on the news that the Northeast is experiencing a nasty winter snap this week. Snow everywhere, burrrrr. :confused: If there were anyway I could send you some of this hot weather we're having, I'd do it!!.

The "UConn weather" that I referenced was of course metaphorically speaking. Like the peanuts character below, that always had the rain could directly over him where every he went. I'm being totally optimistic here. That UConn tournament weather will follow them WHERE EVER they go for the next 3 weeks. Next to Christmas, THIS is the most wonderful time of the year!!!! Can they do it? If not us, who? Can they actually pull this off? I think they can. I really really like our chances. One day at a time. One game at a time, taking no days off. To barrow a phrase from Bill Belichick (New England Patriots head coach), I would like for that to be the mantra of UConn Nation, now to the end of the season (and beyond)...."NO DAYS OFF".

View attachment 20788
That there chair actor ain't from no Peanuts cartoon - I be thinkin him be from Lil'Abner but I might be wrong. Pigpen had a cloud of dust but was averse to water I think!:)

Reaction Score
While being on the floor with Stevens, Williams, Nurse, and Collier what are the odds any freshman will be closely guarded? This was KLS' situation with Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, and Nurse on the floor. KLS just ran to her spot with her hands prepared to "catch and release." Heck even if only three of them are on the floor. no frosh will be defensively shadowed. Williams will have probably 200 assists just feeding Collier down low. Now she will have the option of Stevens as well. If the opposition doesn't pack the post they won't be within 50 points of UCONN ... at half time! Espinoza-Hunter will have plenty of uncontested perimeter shots available to her. Whether she practices well enough to earn playing time; well this is another matter.
Your last sentence explains my post. She'll be guarded in practice and have to prove it there.

Reaction Score
So if Molly failed to impress as a Frosh--what makes anyone think AEH shall do better??
We'll have to wait until next year to see what falls out but the indicators are: the frosh will sit and learn, until clean up time-along with Molly and Kyla.
Walker will being by sitting some and learning a lot--but if she is the talent she should be: she'll be working along side of Danger and get lots of PT with the Big 5 : Katie Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, Azura ,Batouly , Kia (sorry that's six). If the cards fall right--Geno could do the DePaul system and replace 3 or more at a time and work nearly everyone (who is good enough) into most games--poor geno afflicted with too much talent--poor guy getting killed by riches..[/QUOTE
Like I said she is a better shooter and scorer than Molly Bent at this point her defense and scrappiness is what keeps Molly on the floor but AEH will do the same thing on the court play D dive on the floor for loose balls so I see her being a bit more efficient because her offensive ability. But they all will see minutes cus majority of games will be blowouts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually I think the odds are quite good, because it unlikely a Freshmen will be on the floor with with Stevens, Williams, Nurse, and Collier because that would mean KLS is sitting on the bench. KLS running to her spot and waiting to shoot the ball was what put her on the pine last year because Geno was not having it. As good as this years team is, thier productive positions on the floor are predictable & the shooting range is more limited than last year's team. Last year's team had players that could dominate from multiple positions on the floor and the leading 3PT shooter was the PG.

Carnac

Reaction Score
IF you're a player on a 14 player roster, and you're not a starter, you've got to be realistic here. There are two ends of the bench. The short end, and the long end. If you're on the short end, where the sixth man sits, you have a good chance of getting into the game BEFORE garbage time.

If you're on the other end of the bench (12-14), your chances of getting in before garbage time is almost nil. The players on that end of the bench are role players, and must realize that; be willing to adjust to it, and of course not become a distraction. As I have suggested previously, the players that will occupy that end of the bench knew exactly what they were signing up for (expectations) when they came to UConn, so I seriously doubt there will be any defections the next 4 years.

Everyone cannot be a starter - Every team needs role players. Get in where you fit in. There is a place for every player on the roster. Know your role, embrace it, and do your job. Former "walk on" Tierney Lawlor is a very respected member of the team. She has resided on the end of the bench for 3 years. She has a role. She embraces it, and is proud of it. Her jersey will never hang from the rafters in Gampel, but her love of the team, and for her teammates as well has her contributions, dedication and hard work will never be forgotten. Geno will have some challenges next season, but a long beach and player defections won't be one of them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Former "walk on" Tierney Lawlor is a very respected member of the team. She has resided on the end of the bench for 3 years. She has a role."
TLaw been on the bench for 4 years now or since the 2013. Her respect and admiration have been well earned.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The team is healthy, rested, mentally and physically prepared to play these last six games........one game at a time. Right now, 100% of their focus is on Albany, no one else.
I'd be willing to bet one of the assistants is already looking at Syracuse/Iowa St.

Reaction Score
The fact that she is far more talented than Bent is a start.

Molly is a really good athlete/soccer player that only became a full time basketball player in the past few years while AEH is a really good athlete that has been living and breathing and honing her basketball skills since she was a small child............while their work ethic may be similar, their skill sets just are not on the same level...........

Reaction Score
"Former "walk on" Tierney Lawlor is a very respected member of the team. She has resided on the end of the bench for 3 years. She has a role."
TLaw been on the bench for 4 years now or since the 2013. Her respect and admiration have been well earned.

ABSOLUTELY !!! Both of the Walk-On Players from the past couple of years have proven to be loyal, hardworking individuals, who bled UCONN Blue and White. However, I would suspect, provided that no one leaves the program in the coming years, that UCONN will not see any 'Walk-On' players sticking with the team, anytime soon, as 14 players next year is plenty and then some

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The fact that she is far more talented than Bent is a start.
I think "far more talented" is a sweeping judgment to make about a player who has not played a minute in college vs. a player whose college minutes have been so limited that it is hard to judge her "talent". From what I have seen, Molly Bent's limitations are not physical but mental -- getting into an offensive mindset that involves she herself taking more shots, and making better decisions with the ball.

Andi (I just checked) is ranked 37th by Hoopgurlz. That makes it unlikely that she will remind us of Crystal, Moriah, or KML. I doubt that she will even remind us of Mikayla Coombs. Apparently her level of high school competition has been less challenging than other UConn recruits, so we really don't know how well she will function in college at the mental level. Sadie Edwards was probably more talented than Molly, but she didn't last very long. Courtney Ekmark's high school ranking was similar to Andi's, but (IMHO) her athletic talent was and is considerably less than Molly's. And Andi will be a freshman to whom the whole UConn thing is new, while Molly will be a sophomore who knows exactly what to expect.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on Andi beating out Molly for playing time next year.

Reaction Score
IAndi (I just checked) is ranked 37th by Hoopgurlz. That makes it unlikely that she will remind us of Crystal, Moriah, or KML. I doubt that she will even remind us of Mikayla Coombs. Apparently her level of high school competition has been less challenging than other UConn recruits, so we really don't know how well she will function in college at the mental level. Sadie Edwards was probably more talented than Molly, but she didn't last very long. Courtney Ekmark's high school ranking was similar to Andi's, but (IMHO) her athletic talent was and is considerably less than Molly's. And Andi will be a freshman to whom the whole UConn thing is new, while Molly will be a sophomore who knows exactly what to expect.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on Andi beating out Molly for playing time next year.

Andi spent her first three years of high school prep school at Blair Academy after playing with Saniya as a 7th & 8th grader on Ossining's varsity team that completed with Breanna's Stewart. She's had a high school environment as challenging as any of the incoming freshman. It's actually one of the things she has in favor of someone like Molly Bent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom