Where does Carlton disappear to during big games? | The Boneyard

Where does Carlton disappear to during big games?

Reaction Score
Anyone think it’s time to make the switch to Cobb as a starter? Carlton is just to weak down low. Is Cobb’s liability on defense enough to keep Carlton starting?

Reaction Score
He had foul trouble very early. Played more in the second half. I’m not sure why anyone would expect him to put up numbers against Chase Jeter.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
IMHO - Cobb has demonstrated he is a superior offensive player to Carlton - especially against stronger competition. Carlton disappears against strong competition. He is only capable of scoring/rebounding against smaller players. I would think that Cobb will be in the starting role soon.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I like the idea of getting Carlton more reps (as he, in theory, will be here a few more years) and preserving Cobb's minutes for bigger games.

I think we will continue to see Carlton get big minutes against the Drexels and Manhattans of the world and Cobb get big minutes against FSU, Nova, and the better half of AAC competition.

Reaction Score
John Silver says Carlton has superior skill, footwork and length. I disagree. He has superior length and defensive footwork. Cobb is more skilled with the ball, rebounds better and his motor is better. More importantly, Cobb is an older player with more muscle and confidence against better players.

I like Carlton, but he’s a younger guy that will keep improving. Cobb is too good to sit. He needs to play more and he should start. I want his offense to begin the game and set the tone.

Reaction Score
Make a few more free throws and stop committing offensive charges and we won't need to care which Big we play. Both of them are better than the Bigs we've had of late. That being said, when Cobb is playing well he's a huge step above Carlton. First half, 10 points 5 boards. No idea why he didn't get more time in second half last game. We needed points badly.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Cobb is the only reason we didn’t get obliterated on the glass, especially on offense.

Reaction Score
With Akok now on board, Carlton could go from 2 years of significant minutes down to one year (or less if Akok stays longer). Lets see if he plays going forward this season as if he knows this and will make Akok beat him for minutes or starting position. Hopefully practicing with Akok will wake him up.

Reaction Score
IMHO - Cobb has demonstrated he is a superior offensive player to Carlton - especially against stronger competition. Carlton disappears against strong competition. He is only capable of scoring/rebounding against smaller players. I would think that Cobb will be in the starting role soon.
Yeah, I don’t know. I’m impressed with what Cobb has turned himself into, but I still think Carlton’s upside for the next 2+ is quite a bit higher. The minutes will be there for both players, but I’d rarher not see UConn give up on the young post player who’s gonna be here beyond this season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Anyone think it’s time to make the switch to Cobb as a starter? Carlton is just to weak down low. Is Cobb’s liability on defense enough to keep Carlton starting?

See @superjohn's thread here: Calrton and Cobb

In our three games against p5 opponents this season:

• Cobb has a combined 41 pts. and 30 rebs
  • Carlton 3 pts. and 4 rebs

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don’t know. I’m impressed with what Cobb has turned himself into, but I still think Carlton’s upside for the next 2+ is quite a bit higher. The minutes will be there for both players, but I’d rarher not see UConn give up on the young post player who’s gonna be here beyond this season.

Never sacrifice the now for the future. The better we do now, the better it looks to recruits, AAU/handlers, the media, and the nation as a whole. The UCONN narrative is more important than the development of a player who's upside is a solid backup (were we to land 5stars at his position). Freshman Kofi would very likely start over Jr Carlton.

Reaction Score
Never sacrifice the now for the future. The better we do now, the better it looks to recruits, AAU/handlers, the media, and the nation as a whole. The UCONN narrative is more important than the development of a player who's upside is a solid backup (were we to land 5stars at his position). Freshman Kofi would very likely start over Jr Carlton.
Yup, as I said, there’s plenty of minutes for the both of them. And if Cobb is playing better during a game, those minutes will likely go to him. I’m just not ready to see Hurley pull Carlton from the starting lineup knowing that he could be a nice piece for them for the future.

Reaction Score
Our big man problem is somewhat guard related. They have to get them the ball close to the hoop. As showed driving and dishing to their bigs, we drove and put it up. Cobb got his points off put backs mostly which is great but watch the easy layups Az had. More passing, less one on one.

Reaction Score
Thing with Carlton is he's just 8 games into his sophomore year after receiving sub-par big man coaching the first 32 games of his career. Coaching staff believes in him and they'll stay on him throughout the year. He'll get better.

Reaction Score
Thing with Carlton is he's just 8 games into his sophomore year after receiving sub-par big man coaching the first 32 games of his career. Coaching staff believes in him and they'll stay on him throughout the year. He'll get better.

Exactly. People are selling Carlton too short, too quick.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I chuckled at the original question because it answers itself. What did we see as the Arizona D tightened up? Our guards went back to one on one (or one on three) and forced shots. What role does Carlton have when we are doing that and not looking to get the ball to him? He can block out and rebound, and that is it. It's not his best skill.

When we saw crisp ball movement, and players moving off the ball, we got the ball in to Josh and he scored. It's not him disappearing so much as our guards letting the offense break down against better defenses. Josh certainly can be better, and needs to work harder to present himself as a target for the ball. But he's pretty good once he gets it down there.

Cobb runs better, rebounds better, especially on the offensive end and passes better. When we are out and running, he fits better than Josh. He's stronger and more willing to attack other bigs, something Josh needs to work on. I think he'll be a useful player this year and beyond. He's improving.

Reaction Score
Carlton seems to have some innate basketball skills and IQ that will continue to develop and will ultimately show up against top teams.

On the other hand, his limitations seem to have less to do with skill and more to do with physical toughness and athleticism, which isn't something you can teach. Mediocre-ranked recruits like Carlton and Polley usually don't, which is why their upside is limited. We need the Akoks and Cockburns of the world to come here to finally have high-major-caliber bigs again.

Reaction Score
With Akok now on board, Carlton could go from 2 years of significant minutes down to one year (or less if Akok stays longer). Lets see if he plays going forward this season as if he knows this and will make Akok beat him for minutes or starting position. Hopefully practicing with Akok will wake him up.
Different position but I expect Josh to lose minutes to another player who joins the team.

Reaction Score
Lets start them both. Calhoun would have.

Reaction Score
What about Gilbert? His two worst games this year were Iowa and Arizona...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom