Where does Carlton disappear to during big games? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where does Carlton disappear to during big games?

Reaction Score
I don't think expecting a point or two and a rebound or two is asking too much for a starting center against anyone.
I don’t think a point or two and a rebound would have made a bit of difference in that game. But hard to get into the flow of the game when you have 4 fouls in 15 minutes.

Centers are not the focal point of the offense. He got one shot off. He’s not going to score a ton by design.

And he’s a sophomore, I think we still need some patience with him. He’s already better than last year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What about Gilbert? His two worst games this year were Iowa and Arizona...
Gilbert had his own thread - why bring him up here?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The whole thing boils down to:
Men vs boys
Cobb is a man and can handle the bigger stronger guys
Carlton, while big in length still has that "I'm not ready for Prime Time" look in his eye and body language when confronting the P5 type of player. That fear disappears when he is facing the smaller teams.
I see an upside to Carlton but he has to come out of his shell and want to mix it up against the bigger talent

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Carlton seems to have some innate basketball skills and IQ that will continue to develop and will ultimately show up against top teams.

On the other hand, his limitations seem to have less to do with skill and more to do with physical toughness and athleticism, which isn't something you can teach. Mediocre-ranked recruits like Carlton and Polley usually don't, which is why their upside is limited. We need the Akoks and Cockburns of the world to come here to finally have high-major-caliber bigs again.

This is my gripe. I get that he's a few games into his sophomore season, but his upside is significantly limited with that in mind. You can also add strength as a limitation right now, though that can be improved upon in future years.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I think Carlton is starting to put it all together, but at this point, it's easier to put what he's learned and what he's built into action against smaller players, especially those who aren't as prepared to take his skill level on. The bigger, more seasoned guys are ahead of Carlton physically and developmentally, so it sometimes comes crashing down when he goes to work against them. I'm confident that he'll get there, but in the meantime, I'd also like to see Cobb get more time. At this point, he's a more polished player and has the ability to energize the rest of the team.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Exactly. People are selling Carlton too short, too quick.
As often happens here … Carlton, Polley are both examples of this. You are only as good as your last game, and nobody ever develops beyond what they show first time they step on the court. Cobb is more solid now in many ways, but has poor defensive instincts and is not a shot blocker. Carlton can be a lot more in the future than he is now, even this year, but not if he rides the pine and you lose him.

Reaction Score
Cobb would get more minutes because he's more productive on offense, but he's not a rim protector. And Carlton has 2 more years, so he should get some time to develop, but Hurley owes it to the team to try and win every game. It's not an easy job to balance their playing time for so many reasons. I'm glad we have Carlton here for 2 more years. I can't believe how man posters are writing off sophomores who are only now playing for a staff that is actually developing them.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
As often happens here … Carlton, Polley are both examples of this. You are only as good as your last game, and nobody ever develops beyond what they show first time they step on the court. Cobb is more solid now in many ways, but has poor defensive instincts and is not a shot blocker. Carlton can be a lot more in the future than he is now, even this year, but not if he rides the pine and you lose him.

This is sort of the prisoner's dilemma that we're dealing with, summed up in one paragraph.

Reaction Score
Different position but I expect Josh to lose minutes to another player who joins the team.
Yeah some have Akok forward a couple others center. I saw one sight that had him as both. Can he play both?

Reaction Score
Yeah some have Akok forward a couple others center. I saw one sight that had him as both. Can he play both?
Depends on the matchup. In a "small" lineup he can play the five.

Gilbert
Adams
Sid
Polley
Akok

This assumes he plays this season of course. These guys have been playing together (with a new staff) since March. He's going to have a lot of catching up to do. I honestly don't expect to see him this year.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don’t know. I’m impressed with what Cobb has turned himself into, but I still think Carlton’s upside for the next 2+ is quite a bit higher. The minutes will be there for both players, but I’d rarher not see UConn give up on the young post player who’s gonna be here beyond this season.
Yes, a sophomore's potential for future growth is a good point. Maybe Carlton has an upside we haven't seen yet. He just seems so passive and unnatural at times on the block as compared to Cobb who appears to know exactly how to move down low and seems to score naturally. His wide body clears out space nicely. I hope your right and I am sure Hurley will handle Carlton very well through the process - whichever way it leans.

Reaction Score
I think we’re looking too hard at a 3 game sample.

Looking at KenPom, as a freshman Carlton our up nearly identical numbers against tier A+B opponents as he did against weaker opponents.

Cobb stepped up in our 3 big games so far, but it’s far too early to start assuming that Carlton can’t do the same.

Reaction Score
Yes, a sophomore's potential for future growth is a good point. Maybe Carlton has an upside we haven't seen yet. He just seems so passive and unnatural at times on the block as compared to Cobb who appears to know exactly how to move down low and seems to score naturally. His wide body clears out space nicely. I hope your right and I am sure Hurley will handle Carlton very well through the process - whichever way it leans.
By no means am I 100% confident in Carlton’s development, but it’s worth noting he still hasn’t turned 20.

Cobb, on the other hand, has been 22 for almost 6 months.

Reaction Score
Carlson is still a 19 year old kid that right now is overmatched against serious bigs. He has gotten better and stronger as he matures and a some point that intimidation factor will go away. He obviously holds his own against the stronger and more mature Cobb in practice so I suspect confidence has as much to do with as talent.
I would like to see JA at PG and AG at the 2 for 10-15 minutes a game . AG is a better shooter and JA needs to get more engaged. That takes some pressure off AG .

Reaction Score
Carlton seems to have some innate basketball skills and IQ that will continue to develop and will ultimately show up against top teams.

On the other hand, his limitations seem to have less to do with skill and more to do with physical toughness and athleticism, which isn't something you can teach. Mediocre-ranked recruits like Carlton and Polley usually don't, which is why their upside is limited. We need the Akoks and Cockburns of the world to come here to finally have high-major-caliber bigs again.
I think this is 100% the problem. He’s not quick or athletic enough to compete against high major recruits. He should have some solid games against AAC competition but I fear this will be a recurring theme vs the better teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom