Where does Boatright rank amongst all-time Uconn Point Guards | The Boneyard

Where does Boatright rank amongst all-time Uconn Point Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We take it Kemba and Shabazz are 1-2 in no particular order give or take. Here is my list.

1. Kemba (2011 season says it all 2 FF)
1b. Shabazz (2 National Championships, of course we know coaching change, BS Tourney ban etc etc, but I can't put him above Kemba that 2011 run was ridiculous so I will put him beside him which is why I have him at 1B.
3. Khalid (CLUTCH, brought the swagger to the program)
4. Smith (Alltime leading scorer was as close as you can get to a FF :mad:)
5. AJ (2 time all american over came a brain hemmorage and ACL injury)
6. Boat (Top 6 all-time in scoring, shut down defender in last years title run, we don't win 1 game without him this year)
7.Taliek ( All time assists leader, was a gamer knew his role well)
8. Doron (Great Shooter was an great Uconn teams that had bad luck in the tourney)
9. Ollie (A coach on the floor no pun intended lol)
10. Marcus (Would have him higher if he saw the floor more, talent wise I would have him at 3)

Reaction Score
We take it Kemba and Shabazz are 1-2 in no particular order give or take. Here is my list.

1. Kemba (2011 season says it all 2 FF)
1b. Shabazz (2 National Championships, of course we know coaching change, BS Tourney ban etc etc, but I can't put him above Kemba that 2011 run was ridiculous so I will put him beside him which is why I have him at 1B.
3. Khalid (CLUTCH, brought the swagger to the program)
4. Smith (Alltime leading scorer was as close as you can get to a FF :mad:)
5. AJ (2 time all american over came a brain hemmorage and ACL injury)
6. Boat (Top 6 all-time in scoring, shut down defender in last years title run, we don't win 1 game without him this year)
7.Taliek ( All time assists leader, was a gamer knew his role well)
8. Doron (Great Shooter was an great Uconn teams that had bad luck in the tourney)
9. Ollie (A coach on the floor no pun intended lol)
10. Marcus (Would have him higher if he saw the floor more, talent wise I would have him at 3)

Wow, we've had some great PGs!!!!

caw

Reaction Score
Just pure talent I'm not sure Williams isn't #1. He was an amazing passer and could score. He didn't have the work ethic/brains or heart of the rest though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nice list. I think I'd have Doron in a tie with Smitty for #4, Boat tied with AJ after that, and Ollie before Taliek.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What's crazy to me is after Kemba, we all said we'll never see a run like that ever again.

And then Napier did it.

I'm torn on how to rank those two. Call it recency bias, but I think I would take Napier.

Reaction Score
He's solidly behind Kemba, Shabazz, and Khalid, but right there in that next group with Price and Sheffer. I consider Smith more of a shooting/combo guard, so I'm not counting him here (admittedly I didn't see him much, so I could be wrong).

As far as #1 is concerned, I have a tough time putting Shabazz over Kemba. I think people are already forgetting just how good he was that year - the dude averaged 23.5 per game, including 30 ppg in Maui, and he also had arguably the best BET of all time. Considering some of the legends who played in that tourney, that's saying A LOT.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping Jalen turns out to be as good as any of them. A lot of schools would want a list like this.

Reaction Score
I'm just hoping Jalen turns out to be as good as any of them. A lot of schools would want a list like this.
Jalen has an advantage that Taliek, or AJP, didn't really have: he's coming in with other players with some real experience--two of whom can create offense off the dribble, and one of whom (Hamilton) can create for others.

I think that will allow him to ease in a bit. I don't think he comes in and is KEA, but it's sort of similar circumstances: other, more experienced guards on the team who can alleviate scoring pressure.

Khalid averaged 16 and 4 his first year. I'd say 12 and 4-5 from Adams would be an excellent year, and would put us among the best in the league, provided Purvis and Hamilton play as assertive as they did at times down the stretch.

If we get some GD rebounding, and a big who we can count on to score 8-10 consistently and stay out of foul trouble, we'd be a national player.

Reaction Score
I feel like Doron has to be higher. He was a fantastic player and his three teams were as good as any we've had. Florida and Miss St. choke and legit beaten by UCLA.

Khalid is a super solid #3. I think he's the second most important player that has played here. Smitty is #1 but Khalid is #2 b/c the swagger he brought took us to a new level. We don't win a championship w/ Ricky as our PG.

The top two is tough. Kemba was a huge player on a final four team, part of a huge disappointment, and then the big run to a title. Bazz was a huge player as a backup on a champion, part of a huge disappointment, ballsy as a banned team, and then enormous as a champion. I think Kemba was more likable due in part to his explosiveness, Bazz more volatile and all around probably more skilled. I think Kemba will be remembered more fondly than 'Bazz. Just my opinion.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Jalen has an advantage that Taliek, or AJP, didn't really have: he's coming in with other players with some real experience--two of whom can create offense off the dribble, and one of whom (Hamilton) can create for others.

I think that will allow him to ease in a bit. I don't think he comes in and is KEA, but it's sort of similar circumstances: other, more experienced guards on the team who can alleviate scoring pressure.

Khalid averaged 16 and 4 his first year. I'd say 12 and 4-5 from Adams would be an excellent year, and would put us among the best in the league, provided Purvis and Hamilton play as assertive as they did at times down the stretch.

If we get some GD rebounding, and a big who we can count on to score 8-10 consistently and stay out of foul trouble, we'd be a national player.
Weird as it may sound but I think if AB can assert himself, PN can be effective at the 4 as we saw in the ASU game the offense will be fine. It's the defense I'm concerned about. Kemba, Bazz and Boat all were elite defenders although that eliteness wasn't quite there early in their careers.

Reaction Score
Great thread:

1) Kemba - #1 Husky, period.
2) Shabazz
3) Smith
4) El-Amin
5) George
6) Brown - one of the most underrated UConn players of all-time
7) Boatright
8) Ollie
9) Price
10) Williams - one of the most disappointing UConn players of all-time

I'd love to put Boatright higher, I love him, but he never really shined as a PG and was better as an off-guard. Was Sheffer a true PG? How about Gordon, I believe he played more SG with Brown at PG.

Reaction Score
Great thread:

1) Kemba - #1 Husky, period.
2) Shabazz
3) Smith
4) El-Amin
5) George
6) Brown - one of the most underrated UConn players of all-time
7) Boatright
8) Ollie
9) Price

I'd love to put Boatright higher, I love him, but he never really shined as a PG and was better as an off-guard. Was Sheffer a true PG? How about Gordon, I believe he played more SG with Brown at PG.
Yeah, it's hard. I'd probably have Price a little higher. Probably ahead of George, Boat, and Brown.

As for Sheffer: he averaged 4.8 apg his freshmen year, 5.5 his sophomore, and 6 his junior year. Those first two years, too, he shared the space with KO, who racked up a ton of assists. Sheffer was definitely a PG.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He's solidly behind Kemba, Shabazz, and Khalid, but right there in that next group with Price and Sheffer. I consider Smith more of a shooting/combo guard, so I'm not counting him here (admittedly I didn't see him much, so I could be wrong).

As far as #1 is concerned, I have a tough time putting Shabazz over Kemba. I think people are already forgetting just how good he was that year - the dude averaged 23.5 per game, including 30 ppg in Maui, and he also had arguably the best BET of all time. Considering some of the legends who played in that tourney, that's saying A LOT.

Can't disagree with your reasoning behind Kemba. He very well may be the best.

There was just something about how Napier had complete control of the game that stuck with me.

Walker was more athletic and a better finisher, where as Napier became a lethal 3 point shooter.

Tough call, can't say I disagree with either.

Reaction Score
What's crazy to me is after Kemba, we all said we'll never see a run like that ever again.

And then Napier did it.

I'm torn on how to rank those two. Call it recency bias, but I think I would take Napier.

1. We have such depth, that to try to seriously answer the question someone has to tell me two things. One, am I judging the best year someone had, so how long they stayed is less important, or the totality of their career (where Shabazz's edge over Kemba is a 4th year)? And two, am I judging the basketball skills of someone who played some or all point, or only the point guard skills of the candidates?

2. If I assume (i) totality of career, and (ii) rating basketball players who played some or all of their minutes at point, I go as follows:

1. Kemba. Yes, Shabazz played a 4th year and had a second rink and was better defensively, but my eyes saw what my eyes saw. The year Kemba had in '11 was the best single season that any UConn player ever had by a lot.

2. Shabazz. Two rings, two-way player, great leadership, and national player of the year candidate. If you argue the two rings put him above Kemba I''m sympathetic, but I just can't say that.

3. Smith. Much more of a combo guard than a true point guard, and you can easily make a case for El-Amin here, but I'll go with Smitty. Why? Played two positions, played outstanding D for his whole career (most of the others on this list played less and less D as they got more important offensively), stayed 4 years, and carried this program up more flights of stairs to get where we are today than any of the others.

4. El-Amin. He led us to the first ring, and he was an All-American level point guard. Close to #3 than #5.

Now it gets much tougher, and between the next 3 you can argue it any way you want.

5. Boatright. Clearly both Williams and Price were better "point guards" than Boat. But Boat stayed 4 years, played two positions, compiled better career numbers, has a ring and was an athletic freak while neither AJ nor Marcus were special athletically. Plus, he never stole or fenced anyone's laptop. That gives him the edge.

6. Marcus. Again, this is an eye test more than anything, because AJ got to the Final Four and ran the club for 3 years. And was less of a liability of defense. But Marcus was the best passer ever in a UConn uniform, the strongest PG when he wanted to get into the lane and while you can argue he didn't accomplish as much as AJ I put him higher.

7. Price. As described above.

There is now another drop off and the next three get even more arbitrary.

8. Sheffer. Very underrated player, and I could make a case for him to be higher, but comparing him to Price or Marcus is tough because Doron was a combo guard, not a pure 1. But as "heady" as anyone above him, and arguably the best pure shooter over a career as anyone above him on this list.

9. Brown. KO and Taliek were similar in that neither one of them could shot a 3. but they both ran the team very well and played great on ball D against the other team's 1. But Taliek started contributing earlier in his career, was stronger and has the ring.

10. Ollie. For the reasons above. But started a lot of games at the point and his W-L record there is probably as good or better than any of the 9 above him.

And yes, we are blessed to have had this string of PGs go through the program.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Khalid, Smith, Kelly, Doron, Marcus, Taliek, AJ, Ollie.

No one listed after Boat could have carried this team that way Boat did. Kelly went head to head with GTown.
And Boat or Kelly playing with the talent of other teams would have been incredible.

Reaction Score
Sad that Earl Kelly isn't on any of these lists. He also had a dissappointing end.

Reaction Score
Comparing Kemba vs. Shabazz, Napier gets bonus points for leading the program through its darkest period in 20 years even if Walker was the better overall player.

I have trouble including Smith on this list, as great as he was, since I never really considered him a point guard and a talented team struggled when he was handed the role as a senior.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No one listed after Boat could have carried this team that way Boat did.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but AJ carried the team in 2008. Granted the cast was far superior, but that team gets lost in memory because of the first round loss, which I think in part can be blamed on AJ injuring himself and not playing the full game.

Reaction Score
Can't disagree with your reasoning behind Kemba. He very well may be the best.

There was just something about how Napier had complete control of the game that stuck with me.

Walker was more athletic and a better finisher, where as Napier became a lethal 3 point shooter.

Tough call, can't say I disagree with either.
Absolutely agree with you, and it's largely why Bazz is my favorite player ever.

He (deservedly) gets most of the attention from the championship season, but the year he had when UConn was banned was almost as remarkable. That team played 45 overtime minutes that season ... and Shabazz scored somewhere around 50 points in those 45 minutes. I've been watching bball for a long time, and that's one of the craziest stats I've ever seen.

He's one of the more unusual great players I've ever seen at UConn, but that made him one of the most fun to watch.

Reaction Score

this is completely ridiculous. ya we lost to george mason, get over it. marcus was the best passer bar none ive ever seen in college. he led the entire ncaa in assists his two full years here and im pretty sure when he left uconn he was the alltime NCAA leader in assists per minute. he led some great offenses and as much as everyone hates on the 2006 team, they had a great season with him at the helm...30-4 and 14-2 in a stacked bigeast. im pretty sure he averaged like 20 and 8 in the tournament that year and was super clutch at the ft line, if we 'choked' or 'underachieved' that year it certainly wasnt because of him

looked it up, marcus in the ncaas in 2006... 24/46(.522 fg) 10/18(.555 3fg) 22/23(.957ft) 20ppg 8.8apg...those are amazing #s

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kemba was a one man gang. Even when he wasn't playing or shooting well, he found a way to lead his team to wins. He had an unusual sense of the game. He knew how to make his teammates better. He knew where and when to get them the ball. And he knew when to take over.

Reaction Score
this is completely ridiculous. ya we lost to george mason, get over it. marcus was the best passer bar none ive ever seen in college. he led the entire ncaa in assists his two full years here and im pretty sure when he left uconn he was the alltime NCAA leader in assists per minute. he led some great offenses and as much as everyone hates on the 2006 team, they had a great season with him at the helm. im pretty sure he averaged like 20 and 8 in the tournament that year and was super clutch at the ft line, if we 'choked' or 'underachieved' that year it certainly wasnt because of him

WTF I honestly wasn't even thinking of the George Mason loss, which he was one of the few players who showed up in that game, we don't sniff the elite 8 that year if it weren't for him, its just hard for me to put him above the guys who played 3-4 years I put great importance on career achievements, this is my list not yours so make your own. Its not so much about Marcus its about the other guys on the list.

Reaction Score
i didnt quote you.....

was responding to the guy who said marcus was one of the most disappointing players in uconn history, which is idiotic

Reaction Score
Did Earl Kelly ever actually play the point? I recall him as always being the 2 (and he played like a 2).
I think after Hobbs graduated (so 2yrs) Earl either played the point or had the ball in his hands/bottom of the net >50% of the time.
No disrespect intended to Vern Giscombe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds