Where do you think we can get another 15 points? | The Boneyard

Where do you think we can get another 15 points?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Earlier the discussion was that we lost 40 points per game when KLS and Precious graduated. It looks like those 40 guaranteed points will shift to Walker and Williams. If Crystal Dangerfield and Ono provide 20 to 25 regularly, that gets us to the 65 point range. If 80 points is a rule of thumb for a winning season, where do the other 15 points come from?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Earlier the discussion was that we lost 40 points per game when KLS and Precious graduated. It looks like those 40 guaranteed points will shift to Walker and Williams. If Crystal Dangerfield and Ono provide 20 to 25 regularly, that gets us to the 65 point range. If 80 points is a rule of thumb for a winning season, where do the other 15 points come from?

I would have thought before the Cal game that a combination of Anna, Aubrey, Kyla, Molly could reliably get to 15 points but now I am not so confident First, CD + ONO will need to get 30 in total and the remaining 10 from a combination of Aubrey + Anna

Reaction Score
Five points from getting ONO to go up stronger when she's in the post and getting fouled or occasionally converting, 6 from getting Mak a little more comfortable on the floor, and with all the dribble penetration we are using this year, Kyla should be able to hit one 3-pointer from a dish even in limited minutes. Then there is Adebayo. What's going on there? And that doesn't even address any contribution from Audrey! Easy Peasey.

Reaction Score
Ask the question again around Christmas. 5 players , 2 seniors 2 frosh 1 transfer (maybe) IF Irwin can change form or mental attitude (she isn't fleet of foot) she could help , but I have doubts. Evelyn (Transfer) is a big body but not fleet of foot too could/maybe. So that leaves 2 freshmen. Potential is very high for both. As far as I can see those 2 are the only options right now. This early season Uconn has no choice to live with what they have.
IF EVINA is made available the line up and scoring may change.

Reaction Score
Five points from getting ONO to go up stronger when she's in the post and getting fouled or occasionally converting, 6 from getting Mak a little more comfortable on the floor, and with all the dribble penetration we are using this year, Kyla should be able to hit one 3-pointer from a dish even in limited minutes. Then there is Adebayo. What's going on there?
Irwin could be used as the designated 3 point shooter. Plug her in for a shot here and there if she proves she can shoot under real pressure.

Reaction Score
Five points from getting ONO to go up stronger when she's in the post and getting fouled or occasionally converting, 6 from getting Mak a little more comfortable on the floor, and with all the dribble penetration we are using this year, Kyla should be able to hit one 3-pointer from a dish even in limited minutes. Then there is Adebayo. What's going on there? And that doesn't even address any contribution from Audrey! Easy Peasey.
Plus five points for hitting our free throws.

Reaction Score
Agree with Crossover, 5-8 pts are available at the charity stripe. 7-10 puts from Ania and Audrey, Kyla and Molly doesn't seem like a huge reach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: I though we had discussed and established that Aubrey would lead the team is scoring and that was going to be a "good thing" for this team.

My being a basketball coach for many years has [I think] made me analytical and my gut tells me that if the team plays unselfishly, then, the "natural" scorers will get the most points night in, night out.
My keen eye tells me that the natural scorers - so many ways to score - are Aubrey, Evelyn and Christyn, in that order. AG is a scoring machine, I can tell you that and EA is a "relentless" scorer. We'll see. I think everyone will put up numbers but not as many as these three. If Geno lets the chips fall where the may, these are my Top Three.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA can get their act together and start being concerned for the kids, Evina gets her appeal and there is the 15. A squared will then calm down and we'll get another 10 out of them. Done.

Reaction Score
I would have thought before the Cal game that a combination of Anna, Aubrey, Kyla, Molly could reliably get to 15 points but now I am not so confident First, CD + ONO will need to get 30 in total and the remaining 10 from a combination of Aubrey + Anna
@eebmg You've been a long time fan so you know even some of the better players are not taking over games as Freshmen. Give Ania and Aubrey a bit of time. Right now they may a bit intimidated by Geno and the differences in the game. Both have had previous successes in scoring, rebounding and defense before coming to Geno. Geno saw something in each or neither would be the 6th or 7th man/woman off the bench for the Cal game.
Geno isn't perfect but he's had greater success than anyone currently coaching.
If in a week or 2 Ania and Aubrey are not scoring a bit--Geno may move things around. But where does he go? My money is on those 2 to step up and rebound (and put back) AND Ania to hit a 3 or more. Vandy is away hostile crowd if they perform there it will bode well for the future, we'll see.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Dangerfield has to have an above average season with her decision making and scoring for UConn to be an elite team, unless Westbrook is allowed to play and plays to her potential. Dangerfield is the key.

Reaction Score
:eek: I though we had discussed and established that Aubrey would lead the team is scoring and that was going to be a "good thing" for this team.
Your problem is , or the problem is: YOU have a LONG memory. Did Jingo say what year she'd be leading scorer?
Aubrey and Ania are 2 of 5 (currently available) players if they don't play who are the options MOLLY AND IRWIN? ? If past performances are indicator s (cliche) of future performances: What does Geno do?
As I kicked this topic around in my head the same thought kept recurring. What now? Who now? To ME, the answer seems to say Aubrey/Ania right now is the only option. Good or bad some things are as they are.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield has to have an above average season with her decision making and scoring for UConn to be an elite team, unless Westbrook is allowed to play and plays to her potential. Dangerfield is the key.
While you are often more right than I, I suggest as Olivia goes so goes Uconn. CW isn't Moriah but she isn't bad at the point either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Your problem is , or the problem is: YOU have a LONG memory. Did Jingo say what year she'd be leading scorer?
Aubrey and Ania are 2 of 5 (currently available) players if they don't play who are the options MOLLY AND IRWIN? ? If past performances are indicator s (cliche) of future performances: What does Geno do?
As I kicked this topic around in my head the same thought kept recurring. What now? Who now? To ME, the answer seems to say Aubrey/Ania right now is the only option. Good or bad some things are as they are.
My long memory also tells me that @Jingo has been back sliding since he said it & probably hoping we'd all forget.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I look at that question in a slightly different way. UConn shot 27/65 (41%) vs Cal missing 38 shots including far too many layups and a number of open looks. While UConn shot the ball reasonably well in the 2nd & 3rd qtrs, the Huskies shot poorly in the 1st & 4th qtrs, and as some have pointed out FT shooting can be better.

So the answer to the question, “Where do we get another 15 points?” is EVERYWHERE.

Reaction Score
Those 40 point ? Yes those point came for Phee and KLS so now GENO must do something different and that is DEFENSE. If he can, as suggested this summer, press and interrupt, 40 could turn into 20. Phee and KLS were the most productive players, probably in Geno history, because all scoring went through them. Different team different focus.
I look at that question in a slightly different way. UConn shot 27/65 (41%) vs Cal missing 38 shots including far too many layups and a number of open looks. While UConn shot the ball reasonably well in the 2nd & 3rd qtrs, the Huskies shot poorly in the 1st & 4th qtrs, and as some have pointed out FT shooting can be better.

So the answer to the question, “Where do we get another 15 points?” is EVERYWHERE.
That is true. So, what it the great Cal defense that stopped the FT or layup's from going in? Olivia took shots from 1 ft and missed them. When Megan and CW stepped up after the half percentages got better. First game. You know Frosh tend to look to those in grades above them when the upper class doesn't perform well it rubs off on the new kids , unless that kid is DT. I don't expect MUCH better at VANDY and after the exhibition games I didn't expect much against Cal--I predicted Cal 57 Uconn 64. The talent is there, chemistry is coming, look not to NOVEMBER but Christmas and beyond.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Who says 80 points is a rule of thumb for a winning season?

The team has played one game that counts!!! And the BS is already started. It is going to be a very long season on the Boneyard. Head bang

Reaction Score
Vandy worries me for one reason: Fasoula. Her game is extremely unorthodox. She shoots underhand layups from her waist area. If she gets ONO in foul trouble, that could be an issue. They have some other decent/highly ranked players as well.

I think once Anna gets more comfortable, she'll be good for 6-10 points a night, same goes for Aubrey. The one positive that can be taken out of being in the AAC is we're generally, and have been in the past, able to get players more minutes than we would if we were in perhaps the ACC or Pac-12. They'll certainly gain confidence as the season goes on, and I hope Anna's shot comes along.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Triple AAA - Aubrey, Anna and Adebayo will all catch up and contribute.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well if you play defense and win by 20 all the time. You don’t need 15 more points. :D
The reality is any UConn team from the last 10 years would have scored 90-100 points against that Cal team. Yes, 20 points less would have made it more of a blow out, but as Geno said after the first few practices, this team will need its offense to carry it through tough games. However, I have faith that @AmeriConn is correct and that ultimately Anna, Aubrey and Adebayo will find their way offensively, and Adebayo and Aubrey can make a difference defensively. Hopefully sooner than later.

Reaction Score
Hard to have this discussion after just one game. Clearly Geno thinks he can get 6-10 from Anna. Aubrey will get more comfortable in the offense and we should get 2-4 from Adebayo. And I am still hoping (but not counting) on Evina giving us 12-16. Either way, I see very little chance that by Jan we can;t get 10 points out of the 4 position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom