Where do we go from here? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Where do we go from here?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I get that, but no one's tone has been that strong. It's mostly "crap, that's not ideal, these were our main targets" and then "where do we start to pivot towards?" and I hadn't seen many overreactions that would warrant words like stressing or wallowing or even the word you've used twice, premature.

Filling the class of 2024 and then moving to the top targets of 2025 is here, it's not premature at all. Discussing it certainly isn't.

But alas, we should be talking about the actual topic, which was kind of his point.
Fine. So responding to the topic requires a dose of reality.

Cooper wouldn't have reclassified unless he was going to Duke. He's 16. He barely makes the cut-off to be able to. But the Boozer kids are 2025 and so Cooper likely wouldn't have a place at Duke in 2025. It was nice to think otherwise, but if he wanted to come to UConn he'd stay at Monteverde another year.

Pat Nagongba was a K-State lean to begin with and Duke has a massive gaping hole at center on a team that is otherwise absolutely loaded. That's a bit tough to compete with.

Edgecombe never even visited here. I don't know why, but we didn't seem to go after him too hard.

We got our target PG, and biggest need. We got a PF to replace Karaban. The only question I have is why the staff had their eggs in the 3 baskets about? It doesn't make sense unless they know something we don't. Either that means portal kids they already have their eye on or kids decommitting. I'd be surprised if all of Duke's current 2024 kids remain committed if they get Flagg. It could also mean they think either Johnson or Singare or both are legit starting caliber centers.

Reaction Score
Fine. So responding to the topic requires a dose of reality.

Cooper wouldn't have reclassified unless he was going to Duke. He's 16. He barely makes the cut-off to be able to. But the Boozer kids are 2025 and so Cooper likely wouldn't have a place at Duke in 2025. It was nice to think otherwise, but if he wanted to come to UConn he'd stay at Monteverde another year.

Pat Nagongba was a K-State lean to begin with and Duke has a massive gaping hole at center on a team that is otherwise absolutely loaded. That's a bit tough to compete with.

Edgecombe never even visited here. I don't know why, but we didn't seem to go after him too hard.

We got our target PG, and biggest need. We got a PF to replace Karaban. The only question I have is why the staff had their eggs in the 3 baskets about? It doesn't make sense unless they know something we don't. Either that means portal kids they already have their eye on or kids decommitting. I'd be surprised if all of Duke's current 2024 kids remain committed if they get Flagg. It could also mean they think either Johnson or Singare or both are legit starting caliber centers.
I think it's a general philosophical shift. Recruiting HS kids is now to target the foundational pieces of your organization. Has to be the right combo of talent and mindset that will develop into high ceiling team leaders. You fill in around them with proven and experienced college production from the portal. You cast a specific net in recruiting, not a wide net. Don't bother with backup choices that have a lower chance of panning out.

So I don't think they have specific guys in mind from the portal, but just know guys will be available. And in fact the bigger the hole on your roster, the easier it is to get portal guy to commit.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it's a general philosophical shift. Recruiting HS kids is now to target the foundational pieces of your organization. Has to be the right combo of talent and mindset that will develop into high ceiling team leaders. You fill in around them with proven and experienced college production from the portal. You cast a specific net in recruiting, not a wide net. Don't bother with backup choices that have a lower chance of panning out.

So I don't think they have specific guys in mind from the portal, but just know guys will be available. And in fact the bigger the hole on your roster, the easier it is to get portal guy to commit.
Maybe. But go over to 247 and you see that many schools are castling a very wide net among the top 50.

Reaction Score
I was a little worried about how we were going to handle the losses, especially point guard in 2022-2023. Turns out this Danny guy is pretty good at what he does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom