Where can UConn improve the most? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where can UConn improve the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Same with S. Carolina. When was the last time we played in S. Carolina? :cool:

Dec 2011 at College of Charleston. Before that it was Dec 2008 at So Carolina (homecoming game for Kalana). Would love for there to be a reason to schedule another.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Take a look at South Carolina's OOC Schedule. Schedule - Link

When the schedule was announced a Beat Writer stated that Dawn was complaining that no one wanted to come to South Carolina to play them, because they didn't want to lose. IMHO the only OOC competitive game they have is with North Carolina which is a local rivalry game. We'll have to see how competitive So Cal will be. IMHO Dawn doesn't want to schedule home/away series against teams that she might lose. The top echelon teams would never agree to only an away game. I bet Marist would play them on their home court, but she probably wouldn't schedule a game. Dawn IMHO is like so many other WBB coaches, they schedule OOC game so that they can win and then wonder why they don't have sell outs.

Same with S. Carolina. When was the last time we played in S. Carolina? :cool:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Take a look at South Carolina's OOC Schedule. Schedule - Link

When the schedule was announced a Beat Writer stated that Dawn was complaining that no one wanted to come to South Carolina to play them, because they didn't want to lose. IMHO the only OOC competitive game they have is with North Carolina which is a local rivalry game. We'll have to see how competitive So Cal will be. IMHO Dawn doesn't want to schedule home/away series against teams that she might lose. The top echelon teams would never agree to only an away game. I bet Marist would play them on their home court, but she probably wouldn't schedule a game. Dawn IMHO is like so many other WBB coaches, they schedule OOC game so that they can win and then wonder why they don't have sell outs.

That's a really weak OOC schedule. In her HOF speech Dawn declared that if her players stuck with her So Carolina will win a national championship. That's not the OOC schedule of a nat'l champion.

Staley's got the bar set even higher down the road — she's turned down coaching overtures from Ohio State and her alma Virginia for their vacancies the past two years — and told her South Carolina players in her hall induction speech Sunday night that if they stuck with her they'd eventually become national champions.

"That's right, I said it," Staley said Monday. "I put it out there."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
That's a really weak OOC schedule. In her HOF speech Dawn declared that if her players stuck with her So Carolina will win a national championship. That's not the OOC schedule of a nat'l champion.

Staley's got the bar set even higher down the road — she's turned down coaching overtures from Ohio State and her alma Virginia for their vacancies the past two years — and told her South Carolina players in her hall induction speech Sunday night that if they stuck with her they'd eventually become national champions.

"That's right, I said it," Staley said Monday. "I put it out there."

Is she taking CViv lessons? Beast of the South?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Farris defended Skylar Diggins all over the court including on the perimeter. She did the same for other wings and 2s which are perimeter players.
Icebear- I was speaking to prior notes of Farris on the offense being a good 3 point shooter- Sorry I did not make that clear. She was left wide open alot to shoot threes as teams double down else

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Icebear- I was speaking to prior notes of Farris on the offense being a good 3 point shooter- Sorry I did not make that clear. She was left wide open alot to shoot threes as teams double down else
My hasty reading skills, not your writing. By January most teams were no longer leaving Kelly unchallenged on the perimeter. It had already become clear she was willing to shoot and making them at a very good clip.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Who has more depth than Uconn at guard. As long as Banks can play 20+ minutes and Chong can contribute as a freshman, they have as good a four guard rotation as anyone.
Yea- I guess we can't ask for more than 4 quality guards. Truth is - I don't think we really have a weakness for a couple of years. Everyone should have our current women's basketball problems!

Reaction Score
UCONN obviously has the best team. I don't think we should improve a lot. It just wouldn't be fair to the rest of WCBB. If we just improve a few little things that would be acceptable. Then that would leave room for improvement next year. Geno should just stop practices if they get too good. And if they have to improve next year, then they can do that. But I don't think we need to improve much this year.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Our weakness will emerge when Stef leaves. I know, I know, guards win games and national championships...but we are going to thrive especially well with our guard/wing saturated team if we can secure a center for 2015.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Our weakness will emerge when Stef leaves. I know, I know, guards win games and national championships...but we are going to thrive especially well with our guard/wing saturated team if we can secure a center for 2015.
that is a well founded fear. Even though we have some super talent that can mask that for a few years with Breanna and Morgan And Kiah to a certain extent. That weekness will really manifest itself when they leave. Like when EDD didn't come here, Even with Maya, with a very good freshman point guard in Bria and a freshman center with Steph, as good as we were, it wasn't enough to put us over the top. It gives us more match up options which for some years we were so thin on the bench - we didn't have. Unless there is a Brittney Griner type dominant out there, 6'2's with the heart of Barbara Turner, like Morgan Tuck, I think are enough to still handle the job! I just hate to waste Morgan Tuck's awesome talent as a 5 all the time.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Alexrgct makes a good point about our mental improvement. The best thing that could have happened to us was last year's ups and downs, and then finally winning the NCAA title. This was good for all the girls, but especially true for the Frosh. Remember Stewie losing her confidence and her starting position. Then, with the help of Geno she figured it all out. JUST PLAY, DON'T THINK !
Just in time too ! You know all the losses to ND had all the girls thinking, "What do we have to do to beat these guys"? Well the girls kept pushing and they figured it all out. We stuck it to ND, and it wasn't even close. Overall, everything that went down last year will add confidence, and the MENTAL STRENGTH to deal with this years ups and downs.

How many times have I heard Geno say, "You'll know when to cut"! Ice said Geno loves centers who can pass. (In so many words anyway) It is a weapon most teams do not have. Stef's backdoor bounce pass is a thing of beauty. By far, to me anyway, she is the best passing center in WCBB.
The backdoor cut is not our whole offense, it's another option to keep opposing teams guessing.

Last year I saw us drive and kick out for the 3 a lot. How many times did we see Caroline, Bria, and Kelly kick out to the wing or key. It did not hurt Kaleena's stats one bit.

This is a nice thread, and everyone has good opinions. Sounds like everyone is as ready as I for the season to start. Anyone know when the first TV game is !
Talking about Steph at the high post and the offense running through her so smoothly with her great passing skills. I am blown away by how cool Morgan is with the ball up high. She just has a cool demeanor about her all the time. She played alot in alot of big game situations and it never seams to get to her. Other than her outside shot maybe. And even her mistakes creating some offensive charging fouls, which this year I am sure she will minimize, she was blowing by defenders with ease. She will become that passer Steph is quickly I think. And they will be forced to guard her out there because she will drain shots like Steph too IMO.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stef is special, more special than many realize. We will, however, still have Kiah for a year and Morgan and Stewie for two more. Things are not as dire as some feel.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Stef is special, more special than many realize. We will, however, still have Kiah for a year and Morgan and Stewie for two more. Things are not as dire as some feel.
Very true- before they started really jelling late in the season, the offense looked disjointed without her. Steph & knl set so many screens so smoothly & effortlessly it's incredible!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom