OT: Where are you giving? | The Boneyard

OT: Where are you giving?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
There's been lots of talk about how this pandemic has changed our daily routines, but the thing that worries me the most is all of the need that's been created. Many people were struggling before this, so I can only imagine what portions of our society are going through right now. If you're doing well enough to wake up in your comfortable home, make your coffee, and check the Boneyard, then you're doing well enough to throw a donation to a local charity. Do it now. In addition to our normal giving, my wife and I gave a portion of our stimulus check to our town's foodbank - which has seen demand skyrocket.

Anyways - how much you give doesn't matter. Just seek out a way to give back to your community. Neighborhood, town, state, region....whatever. Especially if your stimulus money came and you just put most of it into savings like we did.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Come on BY! This post has been up almost 24 hours and only one other person donated somewhere?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll start, I sent some cash to Foodshare. They've spent more on food YTD than they spent all last year. I'll send another check soon. Not quite the same, I renewed my memberships early to the non-profits I support.

Reaction Score
They're good people here and I'm sure a lot of people are going above and beyond it just doesn't feel right to post about it I didn't even want to write this but I think talking about it kind of takes away from the giving part. And I'm not trying to knock anyone posting I just know that for me a big part of giving is just not talking about it

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And I'm not trying to knock anyone posting I just know that for me a big part of giving is just not talking about it
Really, a big part? I don't think talking about it takes anything away. It might even put an idea in someone's head. Different strokes, I guess.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not altering my charitable giving right now. Will wait a bit to see where it is needed. Didn’t get a stimulus check but I’m working.

What are we doing. My wife spends many hours every day sewing masks. We bought the materials, bubble mailers and have shipped them out to people all over. We get reports of people who need them and she sends them out.

We keep supporting local community small businesses. Tips around 50% of the bill for take out food. We kept our landscape services, hired a local place to do fertilizer for the year, had a local guy come paint. Ultimately I think that’s the best way to help at the moment.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They're good people here and I'm sure a lot of people are going above and beyond it just doesn't feel right to post about it I didn't even want to write this but I think talking about it kind of takes away from the giving part. And I'm not trying to knock anyone posting I just know that for me a big part of giving is just not talking about it

Very well stated.

If someone wanted to specifically point out a charity that was unfamiliar to most and make a case for giving to it, I get that kind of post. But to ask where everyone is giving seems, um... odd. And then to brag that their stimulus check is going right to savings?

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Very well stated.

If someone wanted to specifically point out a charity that was unfamiliar to most and make a case for giving to it, I get that kind of post. But to ask where everyone is giving seems, um... odd. And then to brag that their stimulus check is going right to savings?
Not a brag about saving my stimulus - I was just trying to stimulate others to be charitable at a time when it's needed. A common theme I've noticed lately when speaking to friends and family is that many people who got a stimulus check don't necessarily need it right now, and it would be good if those people gave back. I have a friend with 2 kids who just socked away $3400 - there's something wrong with that.

All my post was meant to do was spur someone into helping/donating who may not have already done so, point out the fact that charities need money right now, and to remind everyone here that if you're lucky enough to peruse the BY all day, you're lucky enough to donate somewhere. Also, a few good ideas could have come out of this, or plugs for local charities.

Reaction Score
Was it though?

It was very well stated. There’s people out there getting stimulus checks who need the money as they’re out of work because of Covid. There’s people out there that are getting checks who haven’t worked for years because they’re lazy, that’s wrong. There’s families that get nothing (we don’t ) but already are very gracious annually in finding the charities and events to give to. We do that and I have no reason to change that for now but there are things I do nonetheless everywhere I do go. But no need to tell everyone, as replied above there’s a lot of really wonderful people on the BY I am sure we are all doing what we feel we can and want to do.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It was very well stated. There’s people out there getting stimulus checks who need the money as they’re out of work because of Covid. There’s people out there that are getting checks who haven’t worked for years because they’re lazy, that’s wrong. There’s families that get nothing (we don’t ) but already are very gracious annually in finding the charities and events to give to. We do that and I have no reason to change that for now but there are things I do nonetheless everywhere I do go. But no need to tell everyone, as replied above there’s a lot of really wonderful people on the BY I am sure we are all doing what we feel we can and want to do.
I was referring to the wording and punctuation - not the ideas that were suggested.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We have a local food bank sponsored by our church. The area outside of our community is not exactly middle class. The call went out on Friday that the bank was almost empty. So food donations - canned goods, pastas, sauces, personal hygiene products, paper products are all needed. We have a person on our street who collects for the street, loads his van and delivers. We give once per month. We also give to Samaritans Purse on a monthly basis and have been for several years.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
We have a local food bank sponsored by our church. The area outside of our community is not exactly middle class. The call went out on Friday that the bank was almost empty. So food donations - canned goods, pastas, sauces, personal hygiene products, paper products are all needed. We have a person on our street who collects for the street, loads his van and delivers. We give once per month. We also give to Samaritans Purse on a monthly basis and have been for several years.
This is awesome! Simple, organized, grassroots, neighborhood-based giving.

Reaction Score
My town recently made it possible to donate online to the town's food bank, so I made a donation. I had never donated to them before; I've always sent money to Foodshare. I received a hand-written thank you card, which I didn't expect. I plan to donate every month because this is a sudden crisis for so many people.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My town recently made it possible to donate online to the town's food bank, so I made a donation. I had never donated to them before; I've always sent money to Foodshare. I received a hand-written thank you card, which I didn't expect. I plan to donate every month because this is a sudden crisis for so many people.
Awesome. So good to hear!

Reaction Score
If you're doing well enough to wake up in your comfortable home, make your coffee, and check the Boneyard, then you're doing well enough to throw a donation to a local charity. Do it now.

You do realize that there are plenty of people who wake up in the morning and check the boneyard because they are out of work? Especially considering the demographic of the men's board skews younger. I wouldn't assume that everyone on the 'yard is doing well enough to donate money.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Made a cash gift to the local food bank. Thursday, I was at the grocery and there was a woman with three kids who had a cart full of what looked like food for the week. Because I saw something on TV in which some rapper bought someone's groceries as she checked out, I crazily decided to do the same. It was only a couple hundred bucks, but it looked like she was stressed and I'd just blow it anyway under normal conditions. I've been tipping 200-250% at my local restaurants for take out. There are a lot of people now who are just scratching by.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Made a cash gift to the local food bank. Thursday, I was at the grocery and there was a woman with three kids who had a cart full of what looked like food for the week. Because I saw something on TV in which some rapper bought someone's groceries as she checked out, I crazily decided to do the same. It was only a couple hundred bucks, but it looked like she was stressed and I'd just blow it anyway under normal conditions. I've been tipping 200-250% at my local restaurants for take out. There are a lot of people now who are just scratching by.
That's a boss move. Well played!

I've upped my tips considerably as well.

Reaction Score
You do realize that there are plenty of people who wake up in the morning and check the boneyard because they are out of work? Especially considering the demographic of the men's board skews younger. I wouldn't assume that everyone on the 'yard is doing well enough to donate money.
Right so he’s not exactly asking those people to donate. Donate or don’t but there’s nothing wrong with sharing about different ways to help people out. I don’t think he meant to call out people who can’t afford to donate. He’s asking people to take a look at their situation and reflect on whether or not they can do anything to help.

I’m going to donate to my local food bank after reading this. I realized I can do more so I probably should. If you’re not in that boat then no need to feel guilty or shamed. That’s exactly why people are in more need right now.

Reaction Score
Right so he’s not exactly asking those people to donate. Donate or don’t but there’s nothing wrong with sharing about different ways to help people out. I don’t think he meant to call out people who can’t afford to donate. He’s asking people to take a look at their situation and reflect on whether or not they can do anything to help.

I’m going to donate to my local food bank after reading this. I realized I can do more so I probably should. If you’re not in that boat then no need to feel guilty or shamed. That’s exactly why people are in more need right now.

I responded to what he wrote. If he meant something else he should've said that.

Tbh it's hard for me to take this guy seriously after his days of posts telling us he's not going to self-quarantine, despite people explaining it's dangerous for those with compromised immune systems. The post itself is a nice gesture so I really should take it in a vacuum and ignore what he's said before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom