OT: Where are you giving? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Where are you giving?

Reaction Score
I responded to what he wrote. If he meant something else he should've said that.

Tbh it's hard for me to take this guy seriously after his days of posts telling us he's not going to self-quarantine, despite people explaining it's dangerous for those with compromised immune systems. The post itself is a nice gesture so I really should take it in a vacuum and ignore what he's said before.
Oh I didn’t realize that. I get where you’re coming from then. I honestly don’t remember seeing him post anywhere else.

Reaction Score
I'm waiting for my $1200 stimulus check, since I don't really need it I will donate a portion to probably a good food bank entity. I will also look at a local housing shelter (e.g. homeless, abused women, neglected children) who are suffering from lack of funds for operations.

I'm just more into donating locally than national.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I responded to what he wrote. If he meant something else he should've said that.

Tbh it's hard for me to take this guy seriously after his days of posts telling us he's not going to self-quarantine, despite people explaining it's dangerous for those with compromised immune systems. The post itself is a nice gesture so I really should take it in a vacuum and ignore what he's said before.
Also, I apologized (in that same thread) for one post that suggested I wasn't going to change my life due to covid-19. I said that stuff around March 10th, before everything really hit the fan on Thursday the 12th. I underestimated the pandemic and the way we had to react to it. I have since taken great care to wash my hands and social distance.

By starting this thread, I only meant to say that if you are in the position to donate/help, do it. Also, I could see where and how others were donating/helping. I'm not shaming anyone to help who cannot.

Reaction Score

It's not unreasonable. There's multiple posters who I respected before for their basketball opinions that I have a hard time taking seriously anymore after seeing their opinions/posts on Covid-19

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
This could have been such a powerful and uplifting thread if the entire OP was delivered differently.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This could have been such a powerful and uplifting thread if the entire OP was delivered differently.
So my delivery is garbage. I think I got the point across rather eloquently.

Reaction Score
Also, I apologized for saying I wasn't going to change my life due to covid-19. I said that stuff around March 10th, before everything really hit the fan on Thursday the 12th. I underestimated the pandemic and the way we had to react to it. I have since taken great care to wash my hands and social distance.

By starting this thread, I only meant to say that if you are in the position to donate/help, do it. Also, I could see where and how others were donating/helping. I'm not shaming anyone to help who cannot.

Also, I apologized (in that same thread) for saying I wasn't going to change my life due to covid-19. I said that stuff around March 10th, before everything really hit the fan on Thursday the 12th. I underestimated the pandemic and the way we had to react to it. I have since taken great care to wash my hands and social distance.

Glad to see you've changed. And thanks for the giving you've done. My best friends fiance works at the CT food bank and they're getting brutalized right now. Heard they've turned off some freezers (they have a giant warehouse) for the first time in years.

Also in the spirit of sharing our giving. I've made probably 50+ meals for kids on my aau bball team. Well, I've handed my significant other ingredient then delivered it. Many of the kids rely on school for their food both at private schools and public breakfast/lunch programs. We've been putting together big casserole dishes of food every few days and delivering it.

If anyone knows people in need, it really is easy to throw together an extra few meals when you're cooking and leave it for someone. Pasta and veggies is cheap too.

Another kid I had in school/my basketball team is currently living with me. Dad is in prison and his mom isn't a capable parent. Thankfully DCF and his mom made me a temporary guardian or whatever it's called last year when he started coming to my place after school. Home just wasn't somewhere he could be during quarantine so he's here permanently for the time being. Grades have improved now that he's in a stable place and never worried about his safety. He isb'r a very good ball player but we've been having fun working out--low d1 or d2 track and field might be in the cards for him.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
That's my opinion. I'm not busting your chops, I know you started this thread because you care. I'm someone who cares too.

Consider this me "giving" you some advice. Your delivery means everything.

Reaction Score
I recently donated $30 to a non profit message board so I wouldn’t have to see pop up ads.

This non profit gets people through rough times , like what we are going through today.
Besides talking about the virus , it gets people talking about pizza, beer , movies , lawn mowers , cars , food , TV and even bats. Hell, it probably even saves some marriages.

Please donate today.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have been working 13 hour days trying to get small business loans through the PPP process
I am using my small stimulus check to help a customer of mine who owns a small business and expecting a baby any day by paying him double the normal charge for rebuilding part of my front porch steps.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Many have given in many areas as I know the local food bank, soup kitchen, and the animal shelter in town. My church has done donation to two of the three above.

I think everyone should give what they can and thank those who are serving in our Hospitals, Fire Fighters with paramedics who are the first responders. Thank the Police who have to deal with daily events like domestic and other activities. Then of course thank those at the grocery stores, restaurants that are open for delivery and gas stations. They all need to hear us thanking them for making things as normal as it can.

Pray for our leaders, scientist and our spiritual leaders as well. That they make good decisions that will help the country overall and we can get by this pandemic. If we work together we can and will get through this.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Why are we so hurting after a month inside? I’ve been told this is greatest economy America has ever seen by our esteemed commander in Chief. Surely no one is left behind in those conditions?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I have been working 13 hour days trying to get small business loans through the PPP process
I am using my small stimulus check to help a customer of mine who owns a small business and expecting a baby any day by paying him double the normal charge for rebuilding part of my front porch steps.
Nice work! These are the stories we need to hear and emulate right now.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Also in the spirit of sharing our giving. I've made probably 50+ meals for kids on my aau bball team. Well, I've handed my significant other ingredient then delivered it. Many of the kids rely on school for their food both at private schools and public breakfast/lunch programs. We've been putting together big casserole dishes of food every few days and delivering it.

If anyone knows people in need, it really is easy to throw together an extra few meals when you're cooking and leave it for someone. Pasta and veggies is cheap too.

Another kid I had in school/my basketball team is currently living with me. Dad is in prison and his mom isn't a capable parent. Thankfully DCF and his mom made me a temporary guardian or whatever it's called last year when he started coming to my place after school. Home just wasn't somewhere he could be during quarantine so he's here permanently for the time being. Grades have improved now that he's in a stable place and never worried about his safety. He isb'r a very good ball player but we've been having fun working out--low d1 or d2 track and field might be in the cards for him.
These are great things. These are the stories I was looking for!

Reaction Score
Really, a big part? I don't think talking about it takes anything away. It might even put an idea in someone's head. Different strokes, I guess.
This is silly.

Reaction Score
I give back in my paycheck every 2 weeks to Uncle Sam... In all seriousness I don't know if this would change where I donate other than tipping big on take out orders. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Rentschler Field food site opens to long lines

Long lines of cars snaked past Rentschler Field in East Hartford Monday morning as the nonprofit Foodshare launched a drive-through food distribution site there.

The site will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to noon.

“The stories that we are hearing is that many of these people are new to food insecurity,” said Jason Jakubowski, Foodshare’s chief executive. “Up until three or four weeks ago, they were gainfully employed. And now, through no fault of their own, they don’t know where their next paycheck is coming from and they don’t know where their next meal is coming from.”

Monday morning, Lamont handed out bags of onions and Lt. Gov. Susan Bysiewicz, bags of potatoes. Other food included apples, cabbage, granola, yoghurt and bread, Jakubowski said. He said he is hoping to add meat and more dairy later in the week.

Foodshare typically distributes food through a network of 250 food pantries and 63 mobile distribution sites in Hartford and Tolland counties, the area Foodshare serves. Foodshare recently added an additional drive-up site at the Hartford Regional Market, but that location quickly became overloaded, with the number of vehicles sometimes reaching 700 a day.

Jakubowski said the food bank realized it needed a larger location and approached the state about using Rentschler Field.

In an update posted to the Foodshare website Friday, Jakubowski said the organization had spent $225,000 over the prior four weeks to purchase food to distribute, nearly the same amount that it spent in all of 2019. Food banks have seen their donations drop off and their usage skyrocket since coronavirus took hold in Connecticut.

The Connecticut COVID-19 Charity Connection, also known as 4-CT, last week granted $1 million to Foodshare and Connecticut Foodbank. The funds will provide more than 2.5 million meals, Jakubowski said.

1587407681680.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom