OT: - When's the last time you actually watched a game? | The Boneyard

OT: When's the last time you actually watched a game?

Reaction Score
I noticed on the Gampel thread people talking about wi-fi service quality- it made me realize that there have been numerous times this year that I'll be on the Chat or will get a text from my Dad or a friend and I'll look down and miss a great play (usually an AJax dunk for some reason) so I put my phone down for a few games this season and it was like watching hoops as a Youngster again. I highly recommend it.

When was the last time you watched a game without your phone?

Reaction Score
Due to putting kids to bed, I am usually on a 30 min to 1 hour delay watching games, so I don't want to accidentally see results or outcomes pop up on my phone. I flip my phone over and don't look at it for the entirety of the game. It's rare that I can watch a game live, but when I do I'll occasionally check the chat.

Reaction Score
I'd say 95% of the time I'm watching with no phone. Been a busy year so I'd say about 1/3 of games I'm watching late and avoiding spoilers. And if I'm watching live the chat makes me want to find the nearest bridge so I tend to not look at my phone anyway

Reaction Score
Recently I was watching some NBA highlights like Ja Morant's dunks and I paused the video a couple times to see how many fans missed the play because they were looking down at their phones. It was a lot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd say 95% of the time I'm watching with no phone. Been a busy year so I'd say about 1/3 of games I'm watching late and avoiding spoilers. And if I'm watching live the chat makes me want to find the nearest bridge so I tend to not look at my phone anyway

Besides if you are watching via a streaming service the chat room is about 30 seconds ahead of the game.

Reaction Score
I definitely think it's a generational thing. Young people are on their phone during everything!

When I'm at the games, I will only be on my phone at half time or occasionally during a long TV time out. At home, only occasionally during commercials. It's so frustrating watching at home with my two kids and I scream at a great play only to look over and see them just looking up from their phones!

Reaction Score
I noticed on the Gampel thread people talking about wi-fi service quality- it made me realize that there have been numerous times this year that I'll be on the Chat or will get a text from my Dad or a friend and I'll look down and miss a great play (usually an AJax dunk for some reason) so I put my phone down for a few games this season and it was like watching hoops as a Youngster again. I highly recommend it.

Every time

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
On TV, I watch the game and then go in and out of the chat if I happen to have something profound to say (which is almost never) or want to vent (most of the time). Only other time I pick up my phone is to check player or team stats at certain points out of curiosity.

In person, I check text messages once in a while or take pics early on but that’s it. I can’t imagine being AT a game and staring at my phone. Makes no sense to me.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
just measured my phone, came out 3'' by 6.5''
has lots of camera lenses, too. im told they're great. wouldn't know. LG as always since day one. they are very reliable.

best feature? i only have to charge it every couple of weeks. no lie.
(quick psa on batteries, all of them. charge when under 20%, don't charge when over 80%. it's a 'flexing' dynamic for battery physics. no charge for the tip! lol.)
i ain't seen nuthin ever on it except someones telephone number.
they do call it a 'phone,' afterall.
i also ain't goin blind anytime soon from staring at a tiny screen. my momma dint raise no fool.

it's a big, beautiful world, full of all kinds of people. put me in the 'it's a phone' category. now, when they include 'stun laser' in it's capability, which they can actually do now with bigger battery game, then id use it for other than talk stuff.
i blame jeter for turning folks from spectators into cameramen. at his endtime, everybody at the games started to whip them out.
nice to see that selfie pole end up sleeping with the fishes. progress.

Reaction Score
I use to text my brother in Fairfield but him being at least 30 seconds ahead put a stop to that

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I imagine it's a generational thing (I'm 62) but I normally put the phone away when I'm watching a game (it's a great time to use the charger) from home and often if I'm watching game live I do the same as if I were in a movie theater (off except for halftime or if there is some extenuating circumstance).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Last night, in Gampel, because there was no internet. It was incredible. I like using it during timeouts to text friends about the game or check in on other games around the country. That sort of adds to the experience. I definitely try not to use it while the game is being played.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
On TV, I watch the game and then go in and out of the chat if I happen to have something profound to say (which is almost never) or want to vent (most of the time). Only other time I pick up my phone is to check player or team stats at certain points out of curiosity.

In person, I check text messages once in a while or take pics early on but that’s it. I can’t imagine being AT a game and staring at my phone. Makes no sense to me.
yes...the chat is a great way to vent...better than screaming obscenities and bothering the neighbors!

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score

Last night

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
For basketball games: no devices. For football games: sometimes the chat room.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Good question.

I would say 2009.

Reaction Score
Check my phone a lot during timeouts. Never during the actual game in person, at home the only time I check it during the game is occasionally while the other team is shooting free throws if I need to text the group text to complain about the refs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom