When will we hold Kevin Ollie responsible | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When will we hold Kevin Ollie responsible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Just saw a news clip. You know its bad when Ollie goes to full-blown stinky cheese face against...Wagner f@%#@g College.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

For all you guys throw throwing around that "we're the Huskies" stuff, you are right. We are the Huskies. We built on rep on what we do in March, not in November. Maybe we just want to give him a little time to work the new guys in.

Reaction Score

For all you guys throw throwing around that "we're the Huskies" stuff, you are right. We are the Huskies. We built on rep on what we do in March, not in November. Maybe we just want to give him a little time to work the new guys in.

But we're also the Huskies that under Jim Calhoun, were constantly nationally ranked and did not lose home openers to Wagner. Calhoun was known for developing guards into pros and turned bigs from boys to men. Kids improved yearly. We were ranked throughout the year. Yeah, we won in March, but we sustained the brand and became nationally recognized for winning the regular season as well. Top 5, 10, 15 was expected. Not the weekly "when will we be ranked again" question. He better work them in quick, because our conference isn't helping us, but we are losing who we are, our identity and our brand quickly...

CL82

Reaction Score
But we're also the Huskies that under Jim Calhoun, were constantly nationally ranked and did not lose home openers to Wagner. Calhoun was known for developing guards into pros and turned bigs from boys to men. Kids improved yearly. We were ranked throughout the year. Yeah, we won in March, but we sustained the brand and became nationally recognized for winning the regular season as well. Top 5, 10, 15 was expected. Not the weekly "when will we be ranked again" question. He better work them in quick, because our conference isn't helping us, but we are losing who we are, our identity and our brand quickly...
A bunch of new kids, first game of the season, this would have been challenging for Calhoun. Give KO time. He'll get there.

Reaction Score
We built on rep on what we do in March, not in November.

Haven't been playing all that much in March though, so...

Look I *like* Kevin Ollie. I think our teams are outstanding defensively, but offensively they're a train wreck. It's been th.... ok more like five years of this. The '14 team went on a run, it was great, thank god it happened because it bought more time and might have even saved the program in the long run.

But this team is a disorganized, completely easy team to guard offensively. It just is. We lost to Wagner. We've lost to Yale. We lose to Houston.

This happens in 2004-2009 it costs you seasons' tickets.

Now it's 'oh well, we're young guys, we're talented guys, we'll turn the corner guys.' Living near UMass for years, the narrative is super familiar.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
But we're also the Huskies that under Jim Calhoun, were constantly nationally ranked and did not lose home openers to Wagner.

I could be wrong, but I think Calhoun averaged 10 to 12 losses a year in his last five or six years. Ollie did not take over a perennial powerhouse.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I think Calhoun averaged 10 to 12 losses a year in his last five or six years. Ollie did not take over a perennial powerhouse.

2006–07 Connecticut 17–14 6–10 8th
2007–08 Connecticut 24–9 13–5 3rd NCAA First Round
2008–09 Connecticut 31–5 15–3 2nd NCAA Final Four
2009–10 Connecticut 18–16 7–11 T–11th NIT Second Round
2010–11 Connecticut 32–9 9–9 9th NCAA Champions
2011–12 Connecticut 18–13 (20–14)[21] 6–9 (8–10)[21] 9th NCAA First Round

146-66 over his last 10 seasons; but you are right- about 10 losses a year. The biggest issue(s) I have with KO is the halfcourt offense, the lack of player development, the lack of in-game adjustment (until halftime, usually), and the a lack of fire.

The halfcourt offense is putrid. If you have players who can make plays, then the pro style sets and improvisation will work. But it is not efficient and it lends itself to lots of hero ball. You cannot rely on that. If you watch our sets it's far too much isolation and two men games. These are college kids, not pros.

Omar and Phil were KOs first 4 year players and both regressed. Injuries were certainly a factor, but it's tough to say that any of KOs guys have gotten much better. Amida, maybe. But sophomore Amida and senior Amida- skill wise, are virtually identical.

It seems that we always come out slow and tend to only make adjustments in the 2nd half. If people in the chatroom are noticing that the defense is hard-hedging our screenroll game or are overplaying, why can't KO and the staff? It's one thing to have a gameplan, it's another to live and die with it.

Lastly, KO is a vastly different coach post 2014. Maybe it's the divorce, maybe it's the fact that he won a title so quickly, maybe it's confusion about going to the pros.... Whatever it is, he is different as seen by the fanbase. That fire that he had made it up for coaching weakness. He seemed to give the players the will to win. Or, maybe that was just JC carry over.

I know many are saying "it's only 1 game" but this same post was made the last two years.

C

Chief00

Yeah, we had the best basketball coach of all time then. Tonight is obviously not acceptable, but I don't get why anyone thought it'd be so easy to find another Calhoun.
LOL you coming around on Coach Calhoun?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A bunch of new kids, first game of the season, this would have been challenging for Calhoun. Give KO time. He'll get there.

I get the frustration, but some people's memories are a bit off. Calhoun and Ollie's records are nearly identical.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We lost a game, we've done that before. Even JC lost games we never expected to lose. I'm not going to push the panic button (yet), I'm going to blame it on a young team needing to jell.

The kids didn't play very good yesterday, we didn't make shots and we let them have a few too many wide open three's. That's my sense from Section 114

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Identical records in the OBE and AAC are not even close to equal

True, but apples to apples (Ollie first few years vs Calhoun's), their records are very similar. Calhoun didn't start in the big east.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You kind of knew this was going to happen right?

Right?

Ollie doesn't prepare his teams. We come out, get sucker punched in the teeth, then we spend 30 minutes scrambling to find a way. By crunch time, it's often too late.

We'll see more of this. It's our bread and butter now.

Reaction Score
True, but apples to apples (Ollie first few years vs Calhoun's), their records are very similar. Calhoun didn't start in the big east.

Yeah but JC started with baseball players, soccer players (Economou and Hall) filling holes not decent recruits. And he lost his 2 best players (Cliffy and Phil) one year too for academics. KO should be getting more out of these guys or at least start identifying more skilled bigs for the roster.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
There's a reason why college teams run set offenses against zone and man. If you try to freelance it requires too much understanding from everyone on the floor, and often the ball winds up in the wrong hands at the wrong time in the wrong spot.

Ollie doesn't seem to do this. He runs NBA sets, but doesn't have NBA players, either in skill or in game smarts. Makes it tough.

If he's not going to run offensive sets then he damn well better teach the open offense better. Even with that the bigs would need to knock down 12-15 footers.

Spot on. Some realize the nuances of the issues, some just see a serious stagnation, but I have tried to articulate this before as well...the simple answer is as you say, he seems to leave it open to his guards, specifically PGs, and since Bazz's senior year, no one has been able to run it efficiently.

He's either gotta see that and adjust when the situation arises, or drop that.

CL82

Reaction Score
You kind of knew this was going to happen right?

Right?

Ollie doesn't prepare his teams. We come out, get sucker punched in the teeth, then we spend 30 minutes scrambling to find a way. By crunch time, it's often too late.

We'll see more of this. It's our bread and butter now.
Until the next natty then half the negative nancies will talk about how brilliant KO is and the other half will go ghost.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm headed to my HS practice now, and i can assure you, if our best floor leader and scorer, a soph PG, isn't understanding how to get our O going, then we'll be throwing sets at him.

CL82

Reaction Score
Spot on. Some realize the nuances of the issues, some just see a serious stagnation, but I have tried to articulate this before as well...the simple answer is as you say, he seems to leave it open to his guards, specifically PGs, and since Bazz's senior year, no one has been able to run it efficiently.

He's either gotta see that and adjust when the situation arises, or drop that.
Yeah but he hasn't had the tools. Adams/Gilbert are perfect for KO's system. Larrier is a stud. It will all come together. There will be ups and downs. I intend to enjoy the ride.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yeah but JC started with baseball players, soccer players (Economou and Hall) filling holes not decent recruits. And he lost his 2 best players (Cliffy and Phil) one year too for academics. KO should be getting more out of these guys or at least start identifying more skilled bigs for the roster.

True, but Ollie had to start his career with a post season ban. That had to hurt recruiting.

Ollie isn't Calhoun, but the cries here to replace him are absurd, and make the fan base look silly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
True, but Ollie had to start his career with an post season ban. That had to hurt recruiting.

Ollie isn't Calhoun, but the cries here to replace him are absurd, and make the fan base look silly.

Agree, they are crazy love the man and whether people can believe it or not he's still learning his craft. But if they ask to have him replaced I'd love to hear with who?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom