When will Geno pass Tara? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When will Geno pass Tara?

Reaction Score
It could take a few years. They will probably have a little tougher schedule overall, ours will be harder on non-conference games, but their in-conference schedule is much harder. We might pick up a game or two regular season and then another in the tournament if we advance one more game. Kind of the reverse of this year when Tara picks up 1 or 2 on Geno in the final four.

Stanford graduates more talent and has a very good but not great incoming class compared to ours, but mostly they will be very good because they will have Jones and Brink together for two more years, and Brink for one more after that. Every single Stanford loss will be a big one, because there won't be many.
You will be able to see how good Tara’s teams will be in the next few years by wether she schedules UCONN or not. She seems to be able to find ways to not schedule UCONN when she doesn’t think her team will be outstanding.

Reaction Score
And this year with no seniors, but no mention as coach of the year!
Good point, but Geno always does well. I guess to be coach of the year, you need to have some subpar seasons prior to a good season.

Reaction Score
Not sure Geno catches her in the next year or two. I do think Geno slowly gains on her though.

Honestly, whoever retires first will lose. Not sure either of them really cares, to be honest.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Over the last 5 years Geno picked up 19 wins on Tara. Tara has a 6 game lead at this time and a very good team basically equal to Uconn. You have to go back ten years for Stanford to go undefeated in the Pac and she has averaged 3 losses in the Pac during the last five years. Geno hasn't lost a BE or AAC game since ND beat them twice in 2012-13 and has average a total of 2.5 losses a season for the last five years. The BE gives Uconn a pretty clear shot at 21-0 every year. I give Uconn and Stanford a pretty even shot in their OOC and a pretty equal shot in the NCAA.

Given the above I could easily see Geno picking up 2 or 3 wins a year, so I would say either 2 or 3 years will see them tied.

Reaction Score
Plus Stanford always seems to drop a game or two that they shouldn't. That basically never happens with UConn. Arkansas this year was the first time since maybe St. John's in 2012 that has happened.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
We're in the national championship game for the first time since 2010 and we still had 2 conference losses (yeah, the Colorado one was a fluke, but it's still a loss!). The last time we lost only one conference game was Chiney's final season - Graves, Rueck, and Barnes were practically unknowns back then. And for the first time in WCBB, the championship game is between two PAC-12 teams, with another two in the Sweet Sixteen. If we lose only one conference game per season for the next few years, I'll send everyone in this thread free beers from Drizly.com. I seriously doubt that will happen, but a fan can dream!'

ETA: To my knowledge, the PAC-12 is the only conference that has paired travel partners, which means Stanford and Cal always play weekend away and home games against the pairs of UA/ASU, Colo/Utah, Oregon/OSU, UCLA/USC, and Wash/WSU. A decade ago, that was a decided advantage for us because Cal was the next best team in the league, so opposing teams couldn't just scout us and slack on them. These days, Cal is terrible and Oregon/OSU, UCLA/USC, and UA/ASU are all rough back-to-back Fri night/Sunday day assignments. That means we're scouting two at-least-solid teams and they're able to slack off on Cal and focus on us. Over the course of conference play, that dynamic probably chalks up to at least one loss per season or so.
Last year's Oregon team was the first in quite a while (Stanford in Chiney's final season?) to get through a Pac12 season with only a single loss. 2 losses have been the norm for the conference champion, and I think it's very likely to be just that going forward. And that's a substantial plus (for Geno) given what the Big East will likely look like.

Reaction Score
Was I the only one who was somewhat annoyed that they announced about a dozen times that Tara has the most wins in WCBB? Not once did they say that Geno is only a couple wins behind? ( I don't know, I guess four maybe?)

It looks like Stanford will be dominating the PAC12 for some time now. It looks difficult to catch her. And I think she will continue coaching for a long time, barring health issues. So, I know that Geno doesn't really care about such things, but some fans do. Anyone care to guess when or if Geno might pass Tara for most wins?
11 championships is the only thing that really counts....plus Geno's win/loss percentage.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Meant to post this here but accidentally posted it on the "Did Geno throw the team under a bus?" and can't delete it.

This is a little off of the story line but why does ESPN almost always have the tag line of HOF Coach Tara Vanderveer, inducted in 2011. When it comes to Geno they usually just state Coach Geno Auriemma, inducted in 2006.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom