When will Geno pass Tara? | The Boneyard

When will Geno pass Tara?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Was I the only one who was somewhat annoyed that they announced about a dozen times that Tara has the most wins in WCBB? Not once did they say that Geno is only a couple wins behind? ( I don't know, I guess four maybe?)

It looks like Stanford will be dominating the PAC12 for some time now. It looks difficult to catch her. And I think she will continue coaching for a long time, barring health issues. So, I know that Geno doesn't really care about such things, but some fans do. Anyone care to guess when or if Geno might pass Tara for most wins?

Reaction Score
Was I the only one who was somewhat annoyed that they announced about a dozen times that Tara has the most wins in WCBB? Not once did they say that Geno is only a couple wins behind? ( I don't know, I guess four maybe?)

It looks like Stanford will be dominating the PAC12 for some time now. It looks difficult to catch her. And I think she will continue coaching for a long time, barring health issues. So, I know that Geno doesn't really care about such things, but some fans do. Anyone care to guess when or if Geno might pass Tara for most wins?
I have no info besides a gut feeling he retires b4 he can catch Tara. If that is the case I have no problems with Tara at #1.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Given that they are for, soon to be five, apart now, whoever coaches longer will hold the record. For what it’s worth I think tara is already over 40 years.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think if she wins tomorrow night she calls it a career? Like she's hanging around for one last trophy and then she rides off into the sunset? I could see that being the case with Geno. Geno and Tara are in their late-60s now and at some point will want to relax for their remaining years.

Reaction Score
Geno is already ahead of Tara 11 to 2.... 11 to 3 if they win tomorrow. ;)
Geno has a winning % of 887 to Tara's 815 and she has coached 7 more years.
This is the crazy thing to me when they talk about Geno's accomplishments versus the other top coaches like Tara and Pat. Pat's been gone for many years now and Geno still has not coached at UConn as long as Pat coached Tennessee (38 years). Geno is right there with the best and in many statistical categories is by far the best and has done it in a much shorter time frame.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

All I know is that 11 > 2

Reaction Score
UConn's estimated Big East losses per year next few years - zero.

Stanford's estimated Pac 12 losses per year next few years - one? Or maybe one-half (one conference loss every other year)?

Call the non-conference results a wash.

Give UConn one more NCAA win per year (because I think they win the next three)

So Geno catches Tara in two or three years,

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
UConn's estimated Big East losses per year next few years - zero.

Stanford's estimated Pac 12 losses per year next few years - one? Or maybe one-half (one conference loss every other year)?

Call the non-conference results a wash.

Give UConn one more NCAA win per year (because I think they win the next three)

So Geno catches Tara in two or three years,
We're in the national championship game for the first time since 2010 and we still had 2 conference losses (yeah, the Colorado one was a fluke, but it's still a loss!). The last time we lost only one conference game was Chiney's final season - Graves, Rueck, and Barnes were practically unknowns back then. And for the first time in WCBB, the championship game is between two PAC-12 teams, with another two in the Sweet Sixteen. If we lose only one conference game per season for the next few years, I'll send everyone in this thread free beers from Drizly.com. I seriously doubt that will happen, but a fan can dream!'

ETA: To my knowledge, the PAC-12 is the only conference that has paired travel partners, which means Stanford and Cal always play weekend away and home games against the pairs of UA/ASU, Colo/Utah, Oregon/OSU, UCLA/USC, and Wash/WSU. A decade ago, that was a decided advantage for us because Cal was the next best team in the league, so opposing teams couldn't just scout us and slack on them. These days, Cal is terrible and Oregon/OSU, UCLA/USC, and UA/ASU are all rough back-to-back Fri night/Sunday day assignments. That means we're scouting two at-least-solid teams and they're able to slack off on Cal and focus on us. Over the course of conference play, that dynamic probably chalks up to at least one loss per season or so.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Does anyone think if she wins tomorrow night she calls it a career? Like she's hanging around for one last trophy and then she rides off into the sunset? I could see that being the case with Geno. Geno and Tara are in their late-60s now and at some point will want to relax for their remaining years.
Not a chance with the recruits they have coming in.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Probably in the next few years, but who finishes with more wins will likely be determined by who coaches longer. Geno could average 2-3 more wins per season than Tara for the next 8 years, but if Tara coaches one more season than Geno does she'll have the record.

Also, they bring up Tara's record since it's her marquee accomplishment for her career. They often bring up Geno winning 11 titles or his Final Four streak since those are more noteworthy for him rather than being #2 all time in career wins. Similar to how they don't bring up Tara's 13 Final Fours but instead focus on all time wins.

Reaction Score
It could take a few years. They will probably have a little tougher schedule overall, ours will be harder on non-conference games, but their in-conference schedule is much harder. We might pick up a game or two regular season and then another in the tournament if we advance one more game. Kind of the reverse of this year when Tara picks up 1 or 2 on Geno in the final four.

Stanford graduates more talent and has a very good but not great incoming class compared to ours, but mostly they will be very good because they will have Jones and Brink together for two more years, and Brink for one more after that. Every single Stanford loss will be a big one, because there won't be many.

Reaction Score
One last trophy? None of her players were alive for the last one.

Reaction Score

I will go on record for the Championship game in 2023, but only if UCONN gets to beat them in regular season games as well as the first game of the Final Four for the next two years.

I would normally root for anyone playing Stanford, but in Sunday's Championship, I will be rooting against Arizona, with the hope that Tara will think she can beat Geno at home and away each year, and signup for a home & home series like Tennessee did for many years... That would help close the gap in a hurry, imho....

Reaction Score
I will go on record for the Championship game in 2023, but only if UCONN gets to beat them in regular season games as well as the first game of the Final Four for the next two years.

I would normally root for anyone playing Stanford, but in Sunday's Championship, I will be rooting against Arizona, with the hope that Tara will think she can beat Geno at home and away each year, and signup for a home & home series like Tennessee did for many years... That would help close the gap in a hurry, imho....
Having to play 20 Big East games each season I don't see UCONN signing up for a home & home with anyone. There's not enough OCC games available for that luxury.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Geno does hold the record for most wins at one school. :)

Reaction Score
Having to play 20 Big East games each season I don't see UCONN signing up for a home & home with anyone. There's not enough OCC games available for that luxury.
Yeah that was the one good thing about the AAC - we only had to play 16 conference games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Tara stays ahead for a while, if not forever. Assuming equal numbers of games scheduled, here are the things that most likely allow Geno to catch up, given that Stanford is loaded and should be excellent for the next 4-5 years:

(1) The Pac-12 strength. If Oregon, UCLA, et al. become a threat to beating the Cardinal, they will have more in-conference losses than UConn. I recall many years when Stanford ran the table in the conference, and that is possible. If, on the other hand, Stanford averages 2+ losses in the conference, that would narrow the gap.

(2) Out-of-conference schedules. Stanford would typically schedule Tennessee, UConn, and maybe one other elite team. I think UConn played a better OOC schedule. This generally favors Stanford. If the Cardinal play 5 ranked OOC teams, that may help UConn.

(3) Having a major hiccup in a tourney. If Stanford were to lose surprisingly early in the conference or NCAA tourney, that could cost them 2-3 wins. Given how close Tara and Geno are, that can make a difference.

I am not assuming that Geno will catch Tara unless he coaches longer than she does. Tara should average 30+ wins for the next 4 years. If she is at 35+, Geno will remain a close second.

Reaction Score
Women live longer than men..Tara will coach longer. Geno has other interests and grandkids. What does Tara have? I don't know much about her or her personal life.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Next year UConn appears to be able to play 2 more games then Stanford because of the early season tournament and I believe that with the additions that Geno has coming on board UConn could win it all and have another undefeated season.

Stanford plays a Conference schedule that's a Friday - Sunday type where it takes a toll on the player more than Uconn's schedule does. When Stanford travels they have California play the same teams, i.e. Stanford plays at Arizona on Friday and Arizona State on Sunday. California would be playing Arizona State on Friday and Arizona on Sunday. Who do you think Arizona and Arizona State would spend most of their game planning on? It ain't California that's for sure.

When you add that all up Geno could possibly catch up within two years in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Barring an epic collapse ( ala N.D. which will not happen ) I don’t believe he passes her until she retires- if she does before him.
May never pass her.
If it’s important to him, I hope he attains it.
It has zero to do with the respect I have for him, but that’s just me.

Reaction Score
This is the crazy thing to me when they talk about Geno's accomplishments versus the other top coaches like Tara and Pat. Pat's been gone for many years now and Geno still has not coached at UConn as long as Pat coached Tennessee (38 years). Geno is right there with the best and in many statistical categories is by far the best and has done it in a much shorter time frame.
And this year with no seniors, but no mention as coach of the year!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom