When has Paige Bueckers played point guard? | The Boneyard

When has Paige Bueckers played point guard?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Hopkins' point guard is Amaya Battle. See Amaya Battle's High School Timeline and Paige Bueckers' High School Timeline In a video Maya Nnaji says our point guard was bring the ball up and Paige was running the wing.
I watched several 2019 FIBA Women's U19 World Cup games. Hailey Van Lith played the point guard position. Paige played the shooting guard. She is so focused on assists she seems like the point guard. Nika Muhl is a point guard. If Paige does not start, then I am really interested in seeing Paige and Nika off the bench together next season. D and Sue déjà vu! At least a reasonable facsimile would be really nice. Paige can play the point but I would rather see these two develop a real backcourt relationship not unlike D and Sue.

Reaction Score
What is the point guard's role in the UConn offense? They certainly don't handle the ball the vast majority of the time once it gets past half court like the traditional point guard of old...........CD's was a master at leading the fast break and either passing the ball ahead or taking it to the basket herself...........I haven't seen anybody do that better the Bueckers at the high school level...........so yes while she rarely dribbled the ball up the court, she typically would take the ball from Battle on the wing and then look for the best passing option or look for her own shot..........I suppose you would call her a hybrid guard but I have complete confidence she will be ready to run the offense when the time comes

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO that's going to be the beauty of UCONN with Paige Bueckers. She can play the 1, 2, or 3. She's a really good ball handler, has incredible BBlQ and court vision, but is also a tremendous scorer.

Westbrook played PG for Tennessee for 2 years even tho she is more of a 2G IMHO. So... UCONN will list starters as follows:

Guards: Bueckers, Westbrook, Williams, Makurat
Forward: ONO

Something like that. For some reason this year I don't think they ever listed ONO as a center. When it comes to game time, I'm betting Paige has the ball in her hands more often than Evina, but both of them will be really good with the ball. I guess we will have to see how the season plays out.

I'm really excited to see how Paige and Evina coexist and play off each other.

Reaction Score
Are you saying. . . Page on the left, Anna on the right, someone stuck in the middle?
Yup, the high flying offense in final games consisted of the “point guard” getting the ball into Anna’s hands as they moved past mid court.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Anna has a challenge on her hands if this becomes a transition team next year she may not make over half court in the track meet games.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Anna has a challenge on her hands if this becomes a transition team next year she may not make over half court in the track meet games.
Anna is much more athletic than she looks. People used to criticize her on defense, but as the season went on, she was very competent at lateral movement and keeping offensive players in front of her. She has quick feet.

She's not fast or fleet of foot and won't win a track race, but she moves far better than I think some give her credit for...

Reaction Score
To answer the question, whenever she felt the need to. ;) I think she’ll morph between positions depending on how GA decides he wants to attack the defense. In chess terms she’s the queen, she can go wherever needed other than the post.

Reaction Score
Anna is much more athletic than she looks. People used to criticize her on defense, but as the season went on, she was very competent at lateral movement and keeping offensive players in front of her. She has quick feet.

She's not fast or fleet of foot and won't win a track race, but she moves far better than I think some give her credit for...
I just hope she can get back here.

Reaction Score

my only issue with Anna is that she appeared to be far less effective when shooting off the dribble as opposed to when she was standing still..........numerous times she passed the ball instead of taking wide open mid range shots that seemed pretty routine...........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
my only issue with Anna is that she appeared to be far less effective when shooting off the dribble as opposed to when she was standing still..........numerous times she passed the ball instead of taking wide open mid range shots that seemed pretty routine...........

I think she improved quite a bit in that category as the season was ending.

Reaction Score
I think she improved quite a bit in that category as the season was ending.

I think she's fully capable of making those kind of shots................more of a confidence thing that she will hopefully resolve next season........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hopkins' point guard is Amaya Battle. See Amaya Battle's High School Timeline and Paige Bueckers' High School Timeline In a video Maya Nnaji says our point guard was bring the ball up and Paige was running the wing.
I watched several 2019 FIBA Women's U19 World Cup games. Hailey Van Lith played the point guard position. Paige played the shooting guard. She is so focused on assists she seems like the point guard. Nika Muhl is a point guard. If Paige does not start, then I am really interested in seeing Paige and Nika off the bench together next season. D and Sue déjà vu! At least a reasonable facsimile would be really nice. Paige can play the point but I would rather see these two develop a real backcourt relationship not unlike D and Sue.
Sounds a bit like Sabrina to me. Cazorla and Moore were the PGs the last 2 years, but Sabrina led the team in assists last year and led the nation this year. We shouldn't argue about labels. Geno calls them just "guards."

We will miss Crystal, but we will add at least 2 excellent passers next year. The following year, Saylor fits the "excellent passer" label.

Reaction Score
I just hope she can get back here.
No problem. Geno keeps a seagoing kayak in his backyard for special missions. He'll row out sometime in early August, spend a weekend in Italy, pick her up and have her back for Fall registration.

Reaction Score
Paige runs the point it's just from the 2 guard position. Once point guard gives up the ball Paige becomes the point. Harder to set the defense if she doesn't have the ball.

UCONN should be a team of combo guards that all have the ability to start the offense any given moment.
Westbrook, Anna, Paige CW.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Having ball handlers is not something to worry about next year. I am looking to get back to the days of 25 assists on 30 made baskets. I am more concerned about the freshmen missing summer school. These are important days of integration into the team and assimilation into the UConn experience.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Having ball handlers is not something to worry about next year. I am looking to get back to the days of 25 assists on 30 made baskets. I am more concerned about the freshmen missing summer school. These are important days of integration into the team and assimilation into the UConn experience.
Everyone is pretty much in the same boat when it comes to summer school. I just hope we’re all through the worst of this and classes start up again in September.

Reaction Score
Sounds a bit like Sabrina to me. Cazorla and Moore were the PGs the last 2 years, but Sabrina led the team in assists last year and led the nation this year. We shouldn't argue about labels. Geno calls them just "guards."

We will miss Crystal, but we will add at least 2 excellent passers next year. The following year, Saylor fits the "excellent passer" label.
Crazy to think at her size, shooting abilities, and passing skills that Saylor might never start at UConn, that’s deep the back court is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Crazy to think at her size, shooting abilities, and passing skills that Saylor might never start at UConn, that’s deep the back court is.
At 6’2” Saylor is also a very good rebounder. I really see her as a wing or even a stretch 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom