When has Paige Bueckers played point guard? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When has Paige Bueckers played point guard?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At 6’2” Saylor is also a very good rebounder. I really see her as a wing or even a stretch 4.
Yeah, Saylor can play the 2, 3, or 4. She'll find playing time.

She plays the 4/5 on defense in high school. Though it's not ideal, she could probably play the 5 in a pinch (like Kyla, Aubrey, or Megan Gardler).

Reaction Score
At 6’2” Saylor is also a very good rebounder. I really see her as a wing or even a stretch 4.
In a UConn offense, she'll play the 3,4, and small ball 5 position over her UConn career. She'll start at some point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who cares what position anyone plays? The 2002 NC Champs had three 6'2" players: Swin, Tamika, Asjha. Pretty good team from what I remember.
The current rosters doesn't have ANYONE as good as Swin, Tamika, or Asjha REGARDLESS of size.

Reaction Score
The current rosters doesn't have ANYONE as good as Swin, Tamika, or Asjha REGARDLESS of size.

That we know of. You are comparing seniors with freshmen/sophomores/high school seniors. Did any of your three start as freshmen? Did any of them lead the team in anything as freshmen? Were any of your three AA's as freshmen or even sophomores?
I have the bad habit, when comparing players of different eras, to see the older players at their best, as seniors or even as pros and compare them to underclassmen still developing. The current roster (2020/2021) includes a player that may be better than not only your three but also the backcourt players from that team.

(And if Bueckers chokes in the FF we can say she did no worse than Taurasi as a freshman.) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Paige is probably anything you need her to be just like DT. I keep saying this but we keep having this discussion. DT was NEVER the actual PG even though the offense completely ran through her..... DT/Maria Conlon = Paige/Nika after CW graduates.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

My exposure to Saylor was primarily watching the U.S. National Team games that were played in Chile. While Olivia Miles was the main ball handler (when it mattered), seems Saylor was playing one of the other two guard roles with Payton Verhulst and/or Sonia Citron. All of them are pretty tall and didn't mind playing in traffic, so I could see her very at home at a three in a multi-guard set.

While she's 6'2" and rebounds well for her size, I don't see her being a power forward in college. The will may be there, but I don't think it's what she'll do best at the next level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige is probably anything you need her to be just like DT. I keep saying this but we keep having this discussion. DT was NEVER the actual PG even though the offense completely ran through her..... DT/Maria Conlon = Paige/Nika after CW graduates.
DT picked up a couple Liebermans - not bad for someone who was NEVER the actual PG - heh heh.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That we know of. You are comparing seniors with freshmen/sophomores/high school seniors. Did any of your three start as freshmen? Did any of them lead the team in anything as freshmen? Were any of your three AA's as freshmen or even sophomores?
I have the bad habit, when comparing players of different eras, to see the older players at their best, as seniors or even as pros and compare them to underclassmen still developing. The current roster (2020/2021) includes a player that may be better than not only your three but also the backcourt players from that team.
(And if Bueckers chokes in the FF we can say she did no worse than Taurasi as a freshman.) :rolleyes:
Luckily I don't have that same bad habit and I was not comparing seniors with freshmen. I rather enjoy when people throw out the names of these former UCONN greats as if they were just some random has beens. The three players Tamika Williams, Swin Cash & Asjha Jones had remarkably similar careers in that they were VERY productive as freshmen and none of the three would achieve career numbers significantly above the number they achieved as freshmen. In some cases the freshmen numbers were the highest of their careers.
F/FG%C/FG%F/RPGC/RPG F/PPG C/PPG
Swin Cash 5955. 15.56.89.511.9
Asjha Jones49.350. 0555.59.810.4
Tamika Williams65.870.036.85.813.510.6
Diana Taurasi 4446.93.24.410.915
To specifically answer your questions, I don't know how many "started" as freshman because I did not look it up. What I did look up and have posted above proves that these three were VERY productive as freshmen. If they were not starters that would make this level of freshmen productivity more remarkable, not less. I stand my previous statement and would restate it the following way: If any of the incoming freshman (yes I'm including Paige) can achieve the level of productivity that Tamika , Swin or Asjha did as freshmen I will be pleasantly surprised.
I'm not sure I understand your unnecessary gratitius slap at the GOAT like than. As you predicting Freshman Paige is going to have a more productive freshman campaign than the GOAT had?

Reaction Score
IMHO that's going to be the beauty of UCONN with Paige Bueckers. She can play the 1, 2, or 3. She's a really good ball handler, has incredible BBlQ and court vision, but is also a tremendous scorer.

Westbrook played PG for Tennessee for 2 years even tho she is more of a 2G IMHO. So... UCONN will list starters as follows:

Guards: Bueckers, Westbrook, Williams, Makurat
Forward: ONO

Something like that. For some reason this year I don't think they ever listed ONO as a center. When it comes to game time, I'm betting Paige has the ball in her hands more often than Evina, but both of them will be really good with the ball. I guess we will have to see how the season plays out.

I'm really excited to see how Paige and Evina coexist and play off each other.
No megan Walker?

Reaction Score
Luckily I don't have that same bad habit and I was not comparing seniors with freshmen. I rather enjoy when people throw out the names of these former UCONN greats as if they were just some random has beens. The three players Tamika Williams, Swin Cash & Asjha Jones had remarkably similar careers in that they were VERY productive as freshmen and none of the three would achieve career numbers significantly above the number they achieved as freshmen. In some cases the freshmen numbers were the highest of their careers.
F/FG%C/FG%F/RPGC/RPGF/PPGC/PPG
Swin Cash5955. 15.56.89.511.9
Asjha Jones49.350. 0555.59.810.4
Tamika Williams65.870.036.85.813.510.6
Diana Taurasi4446.93.24.410.915
To specifically answer your questions, I don't know how many "started" as freshman because I did not look it up. What I did look up and have posted above proves that these three were VERY productive as freshmen. If they were not starters that would make this level of freshmen productivity more remarkable, not less. I stand my previous statement and would restate it the following way: If any of the incoming freshman (yes I'm including Paige) can achieve the level of productivity that Tamika , Swin or Asjha did as freshmen I will be pleasantly surprised.
I'm not sure I understand your unnecessary gratitius slap at the GOAT like than. As you predicting Freshman Paige is going to have a more productive freshman campaign than the GOAT had?

And really, do you have to use phrases like "has been" to describe my description? Isn't it enough to disagree without inventing things? I don't think I said anything judgemental about the 3 AA's except to ask for what they did as freshmen.

I'll be a little disappointed if Bueckers can't match and exceed DT's 11pt-3rb/game numbers (no assist #'s?) freshman numbers, for what numbers are worth. And one stat I did find were the 2001 assist stats for the 3 AA's. ( I can't find their freshmen a/to numbers)

Williams assists - 51 to's - 76
Jones assists - 50 to's - 55
Cash assists - 25 to's - 54

Not exactly immortal-like production. Funny that you listed their %'s but not their PTs/game stats as freshmen. I'd do the numbers if you give me a link. I can't find most old stats.

Not exactly AA standards. Any current player who put up assist/to numbers like that would be subject to a long thread here, and it wouldn't be complimentary.

Also look at the 2004-5 media guide and the year in review section from the 2004 championship year. It lists Conlon as PG and DT as SG.

When Gabby Williams (5'11") and Nurse(6') lined up by height for the national anthem it was Williams standing on the taller side of Nurse. The team roster had Nurse listed as taller. Should we believe what we read or what we saw?

I miss the days when it was just guard-guard-forward-forward-center.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not exactly immortal-like production. Funny that you listed their %'s but not their PTs/game stats as freshmen. I'd do the numbers if you give me a link. I can't find most old stats.
Not exactly AA standards. Any current player who put up assist/to numbers like that would be subject to a long thread here, and it wouldn't be complimentary.

Two columns of the table are F/PPG Freshmen Points Per Game and C/PPG is their Career Points Per Game . I have expanded the table to include F/MPG Freshman Minutes Per Game and C/Career Minutes Per Game.
1585570571616.png

Allow this to marinate for a second as an example: Freshman Swin cash played in 22 Games, she averaged 15.09 minutes per game, In those 15.09 minutes she averaged 9.5 points and 5.5 rebounds. Swin's career numbers DID NOT rise significantly above the productivity she achieved as a freshman. Same (almost identical) story for Tamika & Asjha. The argument could be made that Tamika Williams most productive season at UCONN was her freshman season. That argument could further be expanded to claim Tamika's freshman season as the most productive freshman season in UCONN history-and yes that includes Stewie's freshman season. Any UCONN freshman that puts up this level of productivity (PPG, , FG%, and RPG) in that few (MPG) will be universally praised and I'll be the first to start that lengthy thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And really, do you have to use phrases like "has been" to describe my description? Isn't it enough to disagree without inventing things? I don't think I said anything judgemental about the 3 AA's except to ask for what they did as freshmen.

I'll be a little disappointed if Bueckers can't match and exceed DT's 11pt-3rb/game numbers (no assist #'s?) freshman numbers, for what numbers are worth. And one stat I did find were the 2001 assist stats for the 3 AA's. ( I can't find their freshmen a/to numbers)

Williams assists - 51 to's - 76
Jones assists - 50 to's - 55
Cash assists - 25 to's - 54

When Gabby Williams (5'11") and Nurse(6') lined up by height for the national anthem it was Williams standing on the taller side of Nurse. The team roster had Nurse listed as taller. Should we believe what we read or what we saw?

I miss the days when it was just guard-guard-forward-forward-center.

The interview of Kia introduced in another thread has her saying she is 5' 10 1/2".

Reaction Score
The interview of Kia introduced in another thread has her saying she is 5' 10 1/2".

My point. Someone pointed to Taurasi being listed as a sg as evidence that she wasn't the pg. If the job of the pg is to bring the ball over the halfcourt line then DT was a sg. But if the pg is the one who calls out formations and initiates the offense then DT was a pg.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom