When does Purvis try out for the U-19 team? | The Boneyard

When does Purvis try out for the U-19 team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u19/roster.html

No Purvis.

Arcidiacono - Villanova
Dotson - Oregon
Frazier - Florida
Georges-Hunt - Georgia Tech
Gordon - Arizona
Grant - Syracuse
Harrell - Louisville
Okafor - Whitney Young H.S.
Payton - Louisiana Lafayette
Smart - OSU
Stokes - Tennessee
Saulaimon - Duke
Tobey - Virginia
Williams-Goss - Washington
Winslow - St. John's H.S.

Reaction Score
We can probably stop referring to RP as a five star now. Still super excited to have him on board but a second year 5 star guy shouldn't get cut by any team, period.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
We can probably stop referring to RP as a five star now. Still super excited to have him on board but a second year 5 star guy shouldn't get cut by any team, period.
He was 5 star. In 5 years he will still be 5 star. Will he be a great player ? Who knows? The fact he didnt make under 19 doesn't tell me anything about how successful he will be playing for Uconn

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Would have been more important if he was eligible this season.

Reaction Score
Understood but they don't give star ratings to sophomore transfers. He shouldn't be talked about with 5 star respect bc the simple fact is that he didnt play up to his rating last year. When planning for 2014 I think it's important everyone recognizes that so we don't lose out on more 5 star guards bc they think the backcourt is set. I was devastated last year when we lost out to NC St bc I thought RP was next DWade, just being realistic.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Understood but they don't give star ratings to sophomore transfers. He shouldn't be talked about with 5 star respect bc the simple fact is that he didnt play up to his rating last year. When planning for 2014 I think it's important everyone recognizes that so we don't lose out on more 5 star guards bc they think the backcourt is set. I was devastated last year when we lost out to NC St bc I thought RP was next DWade, just being realistic.

Maybe KO thinks he is? If not, I'm pretty sure he will let other recruits know instead of having them gather info on the boneyard.

Reaction Score

This whole post is high comedy.

1. We shouldnt call him a 5 star (he was).
2. Important we recognize so we keep recruiting ( ok I will call up Ollie and remind him).
3. Underperformed last year( started modt of the year for a top 25 team predicsted on post/spot up. Not his gsme. Still averaged 9 pts, shot 45% field/39% 3pt. He performed well.)
4. If you expect every 5 star(25/yr) to be as good as Wade (top 25 alltime NBA PLAYER), you are damned insane.
5. Wade spent 3 years at Marquette, so Purvis may get there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

Do you know how many five star players fail to live up to their ranking in their freshman year? Probably about half of them. It takes certain players longer to adjust to the college game than others, it doesn't mean the talent isn't still there.

You know who Purvis reminds me a lot of? Dion Waiters. Really, the similarities are almost eery. Waiters was 6'4, 210 lbs coming out of high school. Purvis was 6'5, 190 lbs coming out of high school. Waiters was ranked #17 in his class, per ESPN. Purvis was ranked #20 in his class, per ESPN. Waiters underwhelmed in his freshman year at Syracuse, scoring less than 7 ppg and shooting a hair over 40% from the field. Purvis encountered similar struggles, unable to crack double digits on a dis-functional N.C. State team unsure of their identity. Waiters strongly considered transferring. Purvis did transfer. Waiters went on to light it up in his sophomore year at Syracuse, becoming the #4 pick in the 2012 NBA draft. Purvis's destiny is not yet known, but the striking similarities are undeniable - both are explosive, score-first players capable of playing either guard spots with characteristics that resemble those of Dwyane Wade. You could say both epitomize the prototypical modern-day NBA shooting guard, both in their statures and their relentless attacks of the rim. Mix tapes rarely reveal much about a player, however one of the things they do tend to capture is a players pure athletic ability. It would be difficult to watch Purvis's freshman highlights (check them out, he tip-slammed a rebound home in one swoop of motion - that's something you rarely see froma guard) and not view him as an NBA athlete. His efficiency from beyond the arch would also indicate a player with a refined jump shot for this stage in his career. I have confidence that fourteen months from now, after heated practice battles with Calhoun, Boatright, and Napier, and dozens of one on one sessions with a former NBA PG, he will have developed the complementary skills to cause opposing defenses some difficulty.

Reaction Score
Daniels was a five star and had a somewhat underwhelming freshman year. Now after his sophomore year he is a potential future lottery pick. Point being, even five stars have plenty of room for growth and each individual five star develops at their own pace. He has talent, skill and athleticism. If he works hard he should be a real good player. Just how good is anyone's guess but he has at least a chance to be excellent. In my opinion it would be very premature to write off a player because they didn't make a team. There could be any number of reasons why he was cut. These teams aren't always chosen with the intent of picking the 12 players who will be the best college players in a year and a half time.

Reaction Score
When planning for 2014 I think it's important everyone recognizes that so we don't lose out on more 5 star guards bc they think the backcourt is set.

, man, do I need to go back out on the road? I had stopped recruiting when Rodney transferred because I figured I had signed enough guards.

Reaction Score

Tell me who the coaches are before I comment?

Do you think he or the others would get a fair shot vs Michael Frazier of Florida? Think Billy D was going to cut his own guy? Or a fair shot vs Sulaimon of Duke with Coach K breathing down his neck and planting a seed for future coaching gigs on USA teams? Maybe a couple HS kids who Billy D is recruiting?

How about Mike Tobey who averaged under 7 its and under 3 boards a game last year for Virginia? Think he was going to get cut with Bennett coaching? This is as political as your local AAU team.......

It happens, Rodney comes to UConn in the summer and works with his own team where he has a fair shot. Oh yeah the Virginia

Reaction Score
Wasn't Bazz cut from this team 2 years ago? Look what Bazz has done here. I wouldn't worry too much about Purvis being cut.

Reaction Score

Go look at the list of 5 star guys from Purvis' class and tell me how many of them had better freshman years than Purvis. Amile Jefferson? DaJuan Coleman? Tony Parker? Kris Dunn? Davonta Pollard? Steven Adams? Kaleb Tarczewski? Cameron Ridley? Grant Jerrett?

There aren't many. Purvis may have underachieved, but he still had a better year than over 50% of the other 5 stars. Very few players, even 5 star players, are finished products the minute they step on campus.
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2012

Reaction Score

Just looking at the list quick, pretty sure only 6 of the 12 are 5 star players. (Checked ESPN100 and 6 were 5 stars, so a good guess) This team consists of H.S. seniors, college freshman, and sophomores. Stokes is a junior as well. So just counting HSSr., Fr., and So. classes ESPN has 65 of them. So just about 1 out of 11 qualified for the team. And Purvis was not the only 5 star cut either. So yeah, go away with this logic.

Reaction Score
After a whole year of practice under KO he is going to be a ton better then he was at NCSU. We will have a 5 star junior on the floor- he is going to be a very good player for us.

Reaction Score

What are you expecting from freshman exactly? What did we get out of Kemba Walker? Ben Gordon? Rudy Gay? Okafor? or any of the greats?

Reaction Score
Calhoun always said that the best growth of a college player is from his freshmen to his sophomore year. Now we know there are exceptions, Kemba.

Reaction Score
I'm just really pissed he got cut from the only real organized team he can play games for in the next 16 months. We all should be. I had a lot of fun following Jeremy Lamb play on that team and become a leader. If you want to hide behind semantics and keep calling him a 5 star recruit when he wins NBA rookie of the year thats fine by me, but ratings go out the door the second the ball is tipped to start your freshman year. DH is a 5 star recruit, RP is a sophomore transfer.

The facts are he had some issues with coaches and players in a year that most of the NC State writers described as disappointing in their exit pieces - maybe for the simple fact that he didn't improve over the course of the season. I fully expect KO to clear all that up and make him a beast that attacks the basket like DWade and can step back and knock down the 3, and maybe even turn him into a point guard. Hopefully getting cut only makes him hungrier to prove the U-19 coaches wrong.

Reaction Score
Why are you "pissed" that he got cut from an U19 team? You seem far more invested into this than you should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom