When Brimah came in with 7 minutes to go in the first half he completely changed the game. | The Boneyard

When Brimah came in with 7 minutes to go in the first half he completely changed the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The SH offense ceased to exist after he returned. He played with energy on both ends but his defense was the difference. He had a huge impact even when he didn't block the shot.

When he entered the score was 16-25. At the half it was 41 to 27. In that stretch he was a +18.

Lots of folks are quick to jump on him. He had a poor first couple of minutes. But his affect on this game is undeniable.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Everything he's done has been efficient. Just can't have guards driving with reckless abandon then trying to bail themselves out in mid air by dumping a pass to Brimah because he's never ready for them.

Reaction Score
Brimah is absolutely a game changer when he stays out of foul trouble. People here are really hard on him, but his defensive presence, improved rebounding, high field goal % and great free throw % for a big man are very important to the success of this team.

Reaction Score
Brimah is absolutely a game changer when he stays out of foul trouble. People here are really hard on him, but his defensive presence, improved rebounding, high field goal % and great free throw % for a big man are very important to the success of this team.
Just needs to do it against top comp

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Just needs to do it against top comp
I agree, but I think everyone puts too much weight on the Duke game last year. A couple of his fouls were beyond questionable and the foul discrepancy between UConn and Duke was insane. Duke is the Lebron of college basketball in terms of foul calls.

Reaction Score
Brimah's growth is arguably the the #1 key to success for this team. Having said that, I think he should get some high post time on offense. He's shown since his freshman year that he can hit from 15. Also, he may even be more effective rebounding from there, getting a bunch of longer 'bounds, or just more room to operate in space. I think he's got some skills that we're not taking advantage of.

Just a hand full of plays per game is all I'm asking for. Then, back down low.

Reaction Score
I'm not one of those Brimah haters whatsoever but I truly believe he should be coming off the bench and Facey should start over him.

I think this would eliminate our slow starts. We will have arguably our 3 best rebounders on the floor to start (Dham, Miller, Facey), limiting the opposition to second chance points early on.

Also, besides Facey playing great recently which is why I believe he deserves the shot, Brimah is known for intensity, energy and defense. Bring the energy and defense off the bench a few minutes into the game and it could change the game in an instant. Moreover, bringing Brimah off the bench eliminates the possibility of him getting 2 fouls within the first 2-3 minutes and us losing him for the rest of the first half - especially vs. top competition.

I'm sure most will think I'm crazy for this but I actually think it would work out very well.

Reaction Score
I think there has been growth for AB but it was Sacred Heart. Hopefuuly he continues playing well. He has to start, it would mess with his head otherwise and not help his confidence.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I agree that those numbers you used are very impressive but (a) this is 1-4 Sacred Heart and (b) +/- can be misleading since the entire team really started buckling down the pressure around that point when Ollie called the TO and was HEATED. They showed Ollie in the huddle before they went back in and he was screaming and I recall at least 5 or 6 "duckks" in his pep talk, he's definitely a product of Calhoun.

Reaction Score
The SH offense ceased to exist after he returned. He played with energy on both ends but his defense was the difference. He had a huge impact even when he didn't block the shot.

When he entered the score was 16-25. At the half it was 41 to 27. In that stretch he was a +18.

Lots of folks are quick to jump on him. He had a poor first couple of minutes. But his affect on this game is undeniable.

Sacred Heart is 1-5 and their biggest guy on the court for the most of the night was 6'7 so I would hope Brimah would have an impact. The fact is he has a history of dominating lower competition and he is our best option at center for the moment. But, he needs to have more of an impact against good teams. Seems when the competition picks up and they take the alley oop away he is not a factor.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
There's always some element of coincidence in the impact of one player when the team goes on a run (and vice versa, when the team struggles). Along with Brimah's contribution, Shonn Miller and Daniel Hamilton finished a few offensive possessions in a row. The floodgates then opened up.

One thing I'd like to see is Miller used on offense right from the first possession. He may not have the upside of some of his teammates, but he's the most efficient. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm not one of those Brimah haters whatsoever but I truly believe he should be coming off the bench and Facey should start over him.

I think this would eliminate our slow starts. We will have arguably our 3 best rebounders on the floor to start (Dham, Miller, Facey), limiting the opposition to second chance points early on.

Also, besides Facey playing great recently which is why I believe he deserves the shot, Brimah is known for intensity, energy and defense. Bring the energy and defense off the bench a few minutes into the game and it could change the game in an instant. Moreover, bringing Brimah off the bench eliminates the possibility of him getting 2 fouls within the first 2-3 minutes and us losing him for the rest of the first half - especially vs. top competition.

I'm sure most will think I'm crazy for this but I actually think it would work out very well.

I actually don't hate this idea for all the reasons you stated. As long as Brimah plays starters minutes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I like how we tried getting him the ball the first several minutes. But I'd rather just get buckets or get miller involved before brimah. Brimah seems to do better when he goes with the flow of the offense

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Im glad we have a center who can play decently vs sacred heart.

C

Chief00

Brimah and Adams can give you energy on defense which can get the offense going

Reaction Score

Yeah he's improved about half a rebound. Sensational. His defense is the same as a freshman, blocks hots and loses his man all night. He's improved very little over a 2 1/2 year period but he's pours and not awful, just not great!

When he plays really good against Maryland let's talk about him ok?

Reaction Score
Yeah he's improved about half a rebound. Sensational. His defense is the same as a freshman, blocks hots and loses his man all night. He's improved very little over a 2 1/2 year period but he's pours and not awful, just not great!

He was an important factor in the tightened defense that led the comeback against Gonzaga down the stretch. They're pretty good.

I guess I just don't fathom how you can live through the Emeka and Thabeet eras and then not understand the impact a great shot-blocker has on our overall defense.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He was an important factor in the tightened defense that led the comeback against Gonzaga down the stretch. They're pretty good.

I guess I just don't fathom how you can live through the Emeka and Thabeet eras and then not understand the impact a great shot-blocker has on our overall defense.

Easy. Both Emeka and Thabeet were monster rebounders who had offensive games that were infinitely more developed by the time they left than Brimah's is now. People associate that game-changing shot-blocking with all of the other attributes of a dominant college center who gets picked at #2 in the NBA Draft. Basically, they expect the full package.

Reaction Score

I can't fathom how many times he goes for blocks on a guard laying it in and misses too because he's late to the party. People are not afraid to go right to the rack on him not at all. He's bound to get his blocks in but I promise the other coaches are saying just go to the hoop, unlike the Thabeet days when I used to laugh at people passing it back out despite getting deep in the lane. Let's try to look at the whole picture please. Thabeet and Emeka should never be mentioned the same breath as AB. They were dominant and changed the D end of the court, not so much too often now.

This team had (s) a chance to be really good if he improved, so far nothing better than a year ago. It's really close to calling Enoch just as useful.

caw

Reaction Score

He's actually better than half a rebound this year so far. By my math he's up almost 4 extra per 40 minutes. He's only at 20 minutes per game this year and at 5.4 rebounds in 7 games. Last year he was at 26 minutes, 4.4 rebounds in 35 games. Rebound rate seems to be up about 3% in total (all on the defensive end, meaning +6.5% on the defensive end).

Through the first seven last year he averaged 4.8 rebounds per game in 28 minutes per game. Now I'm not going to argue they are exactly the same quality of opponent, but I think they are similar through the first seven. Bryant, College of Charleston, Yale, Coppin State, WVU, Dayton and Texas last year. Maine, NHU, Furman, Sacred Heart, Michigan, Cuse and Gonzaga. The eighth game last year was Duke, this year Maryland. BTW, that Coppin State game boosted his average a ton and was a huge outlier on the year and in the first seven games. If we were talking just first six, his average would have been around 3.7. So far this year the spread has been much tighter at 4, 5x3, 6x2, 7.

I'm not saying he can't get better, but he seems to have improved a significant amount on the boards.

I'd also argue with better rebounders around him this year, his rebounding should be going down, not up. So maybe he's improved even more than the numbers show. Definitely something to track this year though.

Reaction Score
He's actually better than half a rebound this year so far. By my math he's up almost 4 extra per 40 minutes. He's only at 20 minutes per game this year and at 5.4 rebounds in 7 games. Last year he was at 26 minutes, 4.4 rebounds in 35 games. Rebound rate seems to be up about 3% in total (all on the defensive end, meaning +6.5% on the defensive end).

Through the first seven last year he averaged 4.8 rebounds per game in 28 minutes per game. Now I'm not going to argue they are exactly the same quality of opponent, but I think they are similar through the first seven. Bryant, College of Charleston, Yale, Coppin State, WVU, Dayton and Texas last year. Maine, NHU, Furman, Sacred Heart, Michigan, Cuse and Gonzaga. The eighth game last year was Duke, this year Maryland. BTW, that Coppin State game boosted his average a ton and was a huge outlier on the year and in the first seven games. If we were talking just first six, his average would have been around 3.7. So far this year the spread has been much tighter at 4, 5x3, 6x2, 7.

I'm not saying he can't get better, but he seems to have improved a significant amount on the boards.

I'd also argue with better rebounders around him this year, his rebounding should be going down, not up. So maybe he's improved even more than the numbers show. Definitely something to track this year though.

Love ya caw but there isn't any dramatic improvement, its the eye test. Really don't like the per minutes stuff just rebound the basketball and while 5.4 is better, it should be he's 6'10 and is in his third year. Basically just not getting it done as of yet, we'll see haven't given up but it's becoming painfully obvious that the mind is always a few seconds behind.

caw

Reaction Score
Love ya caw but there isn't any dramatic improvement, its the eye test. Really don't like the per minutes stuff just rebound the basketball and while 5.4 is better, it should be he's 6'10 and is in his third year. Basically just not getting it done as of yet, we'll see haven't given up but it's becoming painfully obvious that the mind is always a few seconds behind.

I think the fact of the matter is, Brimah still isn't a good rebounder but you are forgetting how bad he was last year. He's gone from putrid to bad/mediocre. It's still a significant improvement but not where anyone wants him to be. Ideally, he's still here next year and has the same amount of improvement between now and then.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I can't fathom how many times he goes for blocks on a guard laying it in and misses too because he's late to the party. People are not afraid to go right to the rack on him not at all. He's bound to get his blocks in but I promise the other coaches are saying just go to the hoop, unlike the Thabeet days when I used to laugh at people passing it back out despite getting deep in the lane. Let's try to look at the whole picture please. Thabeet and Emeka should never be mentioned the same breath as AB. They were dominant and changed the D end of the court, not so much too often now.

This team had (s) a chance to be really good if he improved, so far nothing better than a year ago. It's really close to calling Enoch just as useful.

"And then on the defensive end, you’ve got somebody that goes after every shot. I was walking today with some of my staff. If you ask me to take one guy in our conference, besides some of the kids you hear mostly about, I’d take that center who corrects everything, every mistake you make. And he plays with passion. I think they’re only gonna get better."

That's a direct quote from Larry Brown on Brimah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom