What's your biggest concern with this team? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What's your biggest concern with this team?

Reaction Score
Another thought on Liv. I would love to see her get the ball and automatically turn to basket and shoot. At times, it seems to me that she is too deliberate with trying to back her person down or use footwork to pivot and get closer to basket, this gives defense time to double-team her. She is 6'5 and can turn into basket quickly and just shoot. If she is near enough to the basket, her defender is probably inside the restricted circle where any contact should be an automatic foul and not offensive foul. When she gets the ball low with a good entry pass, have Dorka/Aaliyah and Caroline head to basket for possible rebound if shot misses or pass from Liv if she is double-teamed. This can be designed play especially if other team's center is starting to get into foul trouble.
Really sad (and inexplicable) that she (Liv) never developed a hook shot!

Reaction Score
Oh, give it a rest! It would have been better had this happened in the first quarter? Injuries are a part of the game. They can happen on the floor, in practice, on the way onto the gym floor and when leaving. I believe it was simply a time bomb waiting to happen and could have happened at anytime, anywhere, doing anything.
Maybe it could of happened anywhere but it didn’t. It happened on the floor to a super star who should have been on the bench. A lesson that the coach needs to learn.

Reaction Score
Maybe it could of happened anywhere but it didn’t. It happened on the floor to a super star who should have been on the bench. A lesson that the coach needs to learn.
Totally disagree and our coach, has forgotten more about the game, than most of us have ever learned! He had his reasons for leaving her and others in games when sideline "bench jockeys" want to complain about it. Yes, it would be nice to see the reserves get more playing time in blow out games, but he doesn't think so. You can't (or at least shouldn't) argue with his success.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree and our coach, has forgotten more about the game, than most of us have ever learned! He had his reasons for leaving her and others in games when sideline "bench jockeys" want to complain about it. Yes, it would be nice to see the reserves get more playing time in blow out games, but he doesn't think so. You can't (or at least shouldn't) argue with his success.
Isn’t there something in the Bible about worshiping false gods? I’m not arguing about his success. He’s a instant Hall of Fame coach. But, he is also human. He makes mistakes. And, he did.

Reaction Score
Isn’t there something in the Bible about worshiping false gods? I’m not arguing about his success. He’s a instant Hall of Fame coach. But, he is also human. He makes mistakes. And, he did.
I'm not worshipping anyone; how did you get that from what I said? You and some others on here seem to think that coach is the cause of Paige's injury and that ridiculous! Let's say for the moment Paige was on the bench with whatever time was left in the game. Leaving the court or in the shower she slips and causes this injury. I know people like you would find a way to blame coach. Rubbish, I'm done with this conversation!

Reaction Score
We are poor at covering dribble penetration. This breaks down the defense for easy hoops and puts our bigs in vulnerable positions.
IMO one reason we can't cover it is because we rarely do it ourselves, so we don't practice it. It was nice to see CW make a couple of strong drives versus DePaul. Caroline looks to drive as well, probably most effective baseline. Need more from E and Nika. Our bigs could be more versatile, especially AE. The passing game with no dribble penetration stagnates against bigger, stronger teams, such as AZ or SC.

Reaction Score
Let's say for the moment Paige was on the bench with whatever time was left in the game. Leaving the court or in the shower she slips and causes this injury. I know people like you would find a way to blame coach. Rubbish,
Let’s say that that Noah didn’t forget to put two Unicorns on the Ark. would they be some schools mascot? Why the need for “let say’s” when the facts are right on front of you. Our best player went under the knife because the coach left her in a game that had already been decided. No let say…….fact. They should have sent him the surgery bill.

Reaction Score
With so many different lineups over the past few months its hard to gain consistency continuity confidence and poise. Now that Azzi and Christyn are back we can once again learn to play together as a team. This is a different UConn team with Azzi back as well as having Caroline and Dorka up to speed. As a team we will now begin to learn to play together again and how many time with the different lineups have we had to do that.

What I would like to see is improvement and more playtime for Amari and Paith as these next few games should allow that. We will need Amari and Paith later in the season and we need them to be ready. More passing and less turnovers. I would also like to see our bigs go to the basket a little more stronger. Lastly I would like to hear some good news on when Paige will be back and Im hoping shes back for the Tenn game.

Love the first paragraph.

While it's nice to have your 4th & 5th post players ready to step in when needed. A nice idea when 1-3 are an integrated and efficient group but right now it's a lot more important to have 1,2&3 learning to play together, not only with each other but with the returning backcourt. They need the minutes more than the 2 you mentioned.

Reaction Score
If she is at a disadvantage on defense then she needs to punish Morrow on offense! Not sure she can but that would go a long way toward neutralizing that mismatch.
That would be great but she's just not equipped to do that yet.

Reaction Score
Love the first paragraph.

While it's nice to have your 4th & 5th post players ready to step in when needed. A nice idea when 1-3 are an integrated and efficient group but right now it's a lot more important to have 1,2&3 learning to play together, not only with each other but with the returning backcourt. They need the minutes more than the 2 you mentioned.
Absolutely, and so many people on here have no conception of this. They don't understand why coach leaves his starters in the game longer than they think necessary. It just points out how much these people don't know about basketball, the reasoning and thinking of the most successful coach in WCBB. They don't understand that players need as much time as possible working together in game situations, against unfamiliar foes, instead of just in practice against your reserves and/or the practice squad Geno and his staff put together.

Reaction Score
Yea verily! Sometimes it appears some seniors don't to pass to her.
I agree with you and NU2BY, and I'd add that Nika also has shown reluctance or inability to find Caroline with passes whenshe's open either in a corner or more often posting up down low. Most of her passes come from Liv and Dorka.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
I'm concerned with (1) mental wellness - to be going through what this team has been it definitely has not been for the faint of heart UConn or no.. Geno said it's been hell. He himself said he has never been through anything like this. Each player of course processes adversity different- there has been some unrealistic sentiments out there about sucking it up, gut check, and what not. It's not that simple. I know that the coaching staff has the support mechanisms in place for such issues and will provide as needed. The weight has been visible with some, E has been struggling with the situation it's worn her a bit including unhappiness with her production. Azzi was a Deer in headlights in the beginning - from professional experience I think part of her recovery was to give her time to process and be mentally locked in- look at her performance and listen to what she said when asked about returning she doesn't really speak to her injury more to her state of mind. Ono has been interesting she has responded better than I expected. CW still requires assurance and prodding but hopefully she'll become a little more consistent. AE is in the middle of a confidence crisis for whatever reason she's battling, but I believe she'll breakthrough, I think Geno knows it and is being patient with her. IMO that Depaul game, just in how they won will pay divends going forward- nothing with x's and o's just the positive dynamics it will afford the Team.

(2) Senior Leadership not trying to be too harsh so I'm not even going to do the comparison with past Seniors. Let's just leave it there - lacking. I hope it changes but for now it is what is.

(3) Turnovers (the details) and Defense needs work it can be better. I think it will get better. As Geno said recently (paraphrasing) he expects inconsistencies here and there but he doesn't want there to be a sharp drop off whenever they hit a snag. I agree. That's MHO, I like our chances moving forward with Caroline's rise, Azzi and Nika's return has provided a tremendous boost to the team prospects but also to morale- can' t underestimate that. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and Paige returns soon, it's going to gangbusters. See yah in March!

Reaction Score
Free throw shooting, in order of number of attempted FT shots:

Evina, 72.5%, 29-40
Liv, 60.5%, 23-38
Christyn, 67.6%, 25-37
Dorka, 52.8%, 19-36
Caroline, 83.3%, 20-24
Paige, 76.9%, 10-13
Aaliyah, 81.8%, 9-11
Piath & Amari, 50.0%, 2-4 each
Azzi, no attempts

Aaliyah should go aggressively to the basket and draw a foul. Not only will the opponent’s posts get into foul trouble, Aaliyah will get some free points and perhaps bolster her confidence
Azzi not having any attempts is a tragedy. She's the best free throw shooter on this team. She needs to be more aggressive posy-injury because fouls on her are the easiest 2 points UConn will see.

Reaction Score
No, if they have a good shot, they should and will take it. No one should defer to Paige no matter how good she is, because a good shot is a good shot period.
That, IMHO, was exactly the problem before Paige got hurt, and in the first few games after.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom