What's your biggest concern with this team? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What's your biggest concern with this team?

Reaction Score
Love this thread. I can worry with the best of them. jk. I agree with a lot of the points that have been given.

My number 1 concern is health. I remember early on in the season, many people were concerned with the over-reliance on Paige and whether we would be a top 20 team without her. Of course she's not the only one that went down this season and we did sustain losses to most of the ranked teams that we faced on our schedule thus far. That being said, I think the team we saw earlier this week vs DePaul can be a very good team, for sure a top 20 team in the nation. However, I think it would be really hard to be a top 8 team or a final 4 team without Paige. We are now less than two months away from the start of the tourney. I see her pretty active and mobile on the sidelines, but of course she still has a brace. Then again Ayoka Lee dropped 60 in a brace so looks can be deceiving jk.
A close second concern which is related to the first (I saw nicely it put in an earlier post) is confidence and continuity. I live close to Boston, and I feel like Bill Belichick and Doc Rivers constantly championed being a star in your role. But with the way this season's been, everyone's role has constantly changing. So the injuries put players in roles that they may not have been ready for but were forced to embrace. And on the flip side, with everyone getting back healthy, how do you keep players confident and feeling important when their role is being diminished.
I remember Geno saying that they had no depth earlier in the season, perhaps after the road Seton Hall game, and making it clear that players needed to prove themselves to get on the floor. Then I remember him saying after the UCLA game that Dorka should be aiming to get a double double every game (which sounds extreme but she averaged it last season, and if she got more shots she'd probably be close to it). Now does she see less time with everyone healthy, and trying to play more 4 guard lineups. And if she misses a couple shots, or misses a box out does she still get the minutes and remain confident.
I remember prior to the season CW had a video, and talked a bit about making this last year count, almost as if she felt that in her previous 3 she did not live up to expectations. EW also had a video, which discussed her decision to come back, at the expense of being a projected lottery pick. Inevitably, if the team ends up getting to where they want to go, I'm sure both will play a major role. But in a close game with 3 minutes left with everyone healthy, does Geno have either on the court, and how does that feel for them.
I remember also prior to the season starting, Geno and other coaches were praising CD. But when the season started she was mostly on the bench and pulled super quick. Over the past month she's shown she's one of the best players on the team and has evolved as the player you want with the ball in crucial moments. But before the final 4 minutes Wednesday, she had ~ 8 shots with 4 minutes left to go in the game. And this is without Paige. So what happens when PB gets back.
That's the dichotomy, gift and curse of having a really talented team.The curse being that you're sort of tailoring players roles to fit the team. You are not letting an individual go crazy and reach for the stars, you're making calculations from the perspective of 'what is going to be best for the team'. Like AE is a prime example. I'm not sure she was put in position to go from 11 and 8 last year to like 16 and 8 this year. It's always been sort of an interesting thing to me. The sacrifice everyone always praises never really is scrutinized when it results in the detriment to the team.
Lastly, I think this sort of came up last year, and you can probably say it every year, but I worry about fast, athletic, defensive teams. Arizona shut down UConn last year. I know some players were even injured last year, but when I look AZ's team they have a bunch of really strong, athletic, defensive players. I think a team like Texas is very similar. Obviously Georgia Tech caused a lot of issues in their game with us this season. I think we will have to get through one of those type of teams in the post season and I'm not looking forward to it. Geno's press conference last year talked about the te. am needing to mature, and even this season, when they get jumped on, them needing to be able to respond. Will they have the mental toughness to outlast a team like that, when they have not been able to really establish any much continuity thus far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our bigs do not always set up on the perimeter when they do it creates open lanes for guard penetration and to move bigs defenders outside.Depends on the play call
If you look at where our bigs were on CD’s drive that was called.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Alot of very good points from a variety of posters, but one of my concerns would actually be the chemistry among our guards and small forwards. Right now, I believe Caroline gets the green light whenever she is open, and I believe Azzi will also get the same message from Geno. Now the question is, when Paige gets back, a player who has had the green light since the first time she stepped on the floor, how will they all react if they are on the floor together? Will Azzi, will Caroline, both freshmen, be reluctant to shoot, passing over good shots to allow Paige to do her thing?

This is why the sooner Paige gets back the better, not because we need her scoring, but we need her to showcase her passing skills to feed these very talented shooters. We need them to work together, play together, leard about each other's game. If they hesitate to shoot, unlike they are doing now, it will find us in the same position that we were in at the beginning of the year. Caroline, Azzi, and Christyn will be our main offensive weapons going forward from the perimeter, with Paige doing the facilitating. Obviously, her shooting will be a huge factor, but if teams focus on her, then her PG skills will be more valuable. The Bigs will be fine, they have had enough time together to gel. We can be very powerful outside, but these young players just need time to develop a good relationship on the floor for us to become a dangerous team.

Reaction Score
Off topic here, sorry.

Hey UCONN fans, Commend Geno for playing games when you were down several players and sticking it out. Oregon had several out early but not to the point that you were at.

Just found out at 10 PM PST tonite (Friday) that the Pac-12 office has officially announced a forfeit against UCLA for not playing Oregon due to injuries not related to COVID. I think they had 6 or 7 players available and did not even make the trip to Oregon. Likely more to come out on how many players they had available.
6-7 players are really enough to play the game if the coach wants to do so. To hit the minimum requirement, they can dressed one of their injured players with no plans of playing them at all.

Reaction Score
The most glaring fault that this team has is "picking up their dribble". It's a cardinal sin even down in 4th grade CYO. This 'no-no' was very evident in the DePaul game if you watched closely and cost us at least ten points from resultant turnovers! Our point guards were the main culprits, eh?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1. Paige 2. Paige 3. Paige ... n. Paige
Paige makes everyone better.
Mine is that our bigs too frequently play small. Offensively, they tend to want to camp out on the perimeter too much. Their interior defense also seems more like what was played in the 80's -- arms up, stationary, try to avoid fouls, rather than allowing some space and timing blocked shots, or taking an occasional charge when opposing bigs, or smaller players like Morrow, use a battering ram move. Blocking out also appears to lacking, or worse.

Reaction Score
Too often I see the offense, in a semi circle around the 3 point line, with their hands extended, waiting to get a pass. Nobody cutting the lane, setting screens, etc. It's very frustrating to see someone stop their dribble, and nobody moves to help.

Reaction Score
The biggest concern, says Cap't. Obvious, remains PB's health/return/effectiveness.

Assuming she fully recovers this season, then I hope her 3-pt shooting returns to prior levels. It was only 31% when injured. Also, I hope CD's long-ball shooting improves as well. It currently is 30%.

I mention these two things because these changes are more likely to occur than the fixing of the team's oft-discussed deficiencies. Proficient 3-pt shooting can overcome quite a bit.. Geno has often said a good shooting night makes everyone think the team played a good game.

In the post-season, you don't get style points. If Paige, Azzi, and Caroline are nailing 3s, we'll make the FF, imo.

Reaction Score
I am actually more hopeful than concerned at this point. I believe that with Azzi's return we have a real chance to build towards the team we expected to see preseason. We now have three offensive threats in the guard positions (if we include Caroline in that group) Christyn, Caroline and Azzi, all of which bring something different in how they can score. We have two solids posts (Liv and Dorka) and hopefully a resurgence by Edwards before its all done. We have a point guard (Nika) who can get the ball up the court fast and pressure the opposing PG to slow them into beginning their offense.

What we really need, and which I expect to see improve each game is chemistry and resultant better flow on both offense and defense. We have, even with all the changes in personnel this season generally played pretty decent defense. But I think with a more consistent lineup game after game that will continue to improve.

Many have mentioned turnovers as an issue, which I agree with. Many of these have been errant passes to a spot where perhaps a player was expected to be or a picked up dribble with no outlet. As this group works together I believe players will know where to move on the offense and know where each other likes to get the ball. I expect each game to show improvements in terms of offensive pace and movement, including picks set and following shots to pick up O boards.

We now have the consistent pieces (assuming no more injuries, please) to make the return to UCONN style basketball, where the offense fluidly moves the ball around and finds the open shot and creates turnovers on the other end that result in easy buckets. This style of play is what the returning players were accustom to the second half of last season and which I believe Dorka, Azzi and Caroline will be very comfortable playing in. When Paige returns I see her seamlessly sliding into the mix and taking a now established rhythm and style of play to an even higher level. So, more TonyC than concerned for me.

Reaction Score
Alot of very good points from a variety of posters, but one of my concerns would actually be the chemistry among our guards and small forwards. Right now, I believe Caroline gets the green light whenever she is open, and I believe Azzi will also get the same message from Geno. Now the question is, when Paige gets back, a player who has had the green light since the first time she stepped on the floor, how will they all react if they are on the floor together? Will Azzi, will Caroline, both freshmen, be reluctant to shoot, passing over good shots to allow Paige to do her thing?

This is why the sooner Paige gets back the better, not because we need her scoring, but we need her to showcase her passing skills to feed these very talented shooters. We need them to work together, play together, leard about each other's game. If they hesitate to shoot, unlike they are doing now, it will find us in the same position that we were in at the beginning of the year. Caroline, Azzi, and Christyn will be our main offensive weapons going forward from the perimeter, with Paige doing the facilitating. Obviously, her shooting will be a huge factor, but if teams focus on her, then her PG skills will be more valuable. The Bigs will be fine, they have had enough time together to gel. We can be very powerful outside, but these young players just need time to develop a good relationship on the floor for us to become a dangerous team.
Bingo!! Hit the nail on the head. Beside the inconsistency of the team, chemistry was my next concern and you covered the topic perfectly.

Reaction Score
Paige gets back when she gets back. The team has to focus on a strategy to win assuming she's done for the year. I think they focus on improving their weakest points. Turnovers. Especially, live ones at the top of the key. Pass on an angle...not parallel to the baseline! Rebounding. Box out before you go and grab the ball. If they don't box out against TN...they will lose. Alexus Dye is a ferocious 6' rebounder. Defend...without all the fouls. A good contest will do. If they make a tough shot...move on. But don't give up the free throws and lose by a few points. AND don't take yourself out of the game!

Scoring is not an issue for me. In fact, with this team, controlling the tempo of the game is more important than the final score. A team like Depaul benefits playing fast because they want more possessions. They score a lot because within a game...because they take more shots...even if they only make an average percentage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Too often I see the offense, in a semi circle around the 3 point line, with their hands extended, waiting to get a pass. Nobody cutting the lane, setting screens, etc. It's very frustrating to see someone stop their dribble, and nobody moves to help.
I can't for the life of me understand the reason for that. It is not just a couple of times, it seems to be the norm. Whatever happened to moving the ball around without a dribble (pass and hard cut , screen and roll)?

Reaction Score
Will Azzi, will Caroline, both freshmen, be reluctant to shoot, passing over good shots to allow Paige to do her thing?
No, if they have a good shot, they should and will take it. No one should defer to Paige no matter how good she is, because a good shot is a good shot period.

Reaction Score
Passing. With Caroline, Fudd, and at times, CW, we finally have a team that truly runs a motion offense and gets a number of easy layups off of cuts. Nika and Evina are very mechanical in their passing with Nika in particular, often picking up her dribble and holding the ball prior to passing. Makes our offense easier to guard against, causes unnecessary turnovers and often the cause when offense slow down.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Free throw shooting, in order of number of attempted FT shots:

Evina, 72.5%, 29-40
Liv, 60.5%, 23-38
Christyn, 67.6%, 25-37
Dorka, 52.8%, 19-36
Caroline, 83.3%, 20-24
Paige, 76.9%, 10-13
Aaliyah, 81.8%, 9-11
Piath & Amari, 50.0%, 2-4 each
Azzi, no attempts

Aaliyah should go aggressively to the basket and draw a foul. Not only will the opponent’s posts get into foul trouble, Aaliyah will get some free points and perhaps bolster her confidence
UConn has some horrible stats for teams getting fouled, meaning they are not getting fouled enough. Below are the team rankings, for all 356 D1 teams. Ex: UConn ranks 303 of 356 D1 teams in FT made. I dont recall past UConn teams being that low. I also put the same stats from Liv's freshman year below the current teams stats. The 18-19 team was in the top 25 in each category vs the current team being around 300 in each category.

Free Throws Made303 / 356
Free Throws Attempted297 / 356
Free Throw Trips299 / 356

2018-19 FT stats

Free Throws Made15 / 351
Free Throws Attempted25 / 351
Free Throw Trips23 / 351

Reaction Score
...and finding Caroline on time.
Yes, and adding Azzi to that now as well. To this point in the season Caroline could easily be averaging 6-10 more points per game, providing her teammates would pass her the ball when she's actually open. She almost always is instantly open when she cuts through the key. But by the time her teammates recognize her (if they do at all) the moment has passed. That I don't understand. The same goes for when she's standing in the wing or corner wide open. Liv (who I've never thought much of until this season) as done a very good job not only in passing to her, but in recognizing her worth and value to this team. Things will change if and when Paige is able to return. My hope is that coach plays her in her natural position as the PG, because she will definitely get people the ball when they're open. Everything keys off of Paige's return.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yes, and adding Azzi to that now as well. To this point in the season Caroline could easily be averaging 6-10 more points per game, providing her teammates would pass her the ball when she's actually open.
Yea verily! Sometimes it appears some seniors don't to pass to her.

Reaction Score
For me, it's the inexplicable unforced errors, in the form of turnovers, missed layups, missed free throws, and stupid fouls - like when Liv brings her arm down on a player after successfully contesting a shot.

I would have included outside shooting, but now that Azzi is back she's already making everybody better in that regard.

If this team could just just take care of these things to the level of normal program standards, I feel like they'd be virtually unbeatable.
I find myself in Boston's category. Some of the passing has been 8th grade-ish: telegraphed and easily picked off, or thrown into a crowd of hands ( pass never should have been made ). There have been mis-communications where the ball is thrown away from where the player is cutting. Lots of late decisions ( eg a player gets wide open on a pick and roll ,but the pass not delivered in the " time window for success" ). Missed lay-ups have been a plague for some players. ( Edwards, etc ). And free throws are still an issue. Mis-handling of passes and rebounds. In the half court offense, some players are picking up their dribble too soon, and without a clear planB. And, of course, the shooting has been lame ( Liv had one good game with 12-14 footers; Westbrook seems to have lost confidence in her three point shot; Edwards is hopeless. Dorka is inconsistent. And, until recently, Caroline has been off the mark from distance. Muhl getting her shot back ( we have never seen how good it might become), and AZZI is in a different league. As is you know who.

Reaction Score
Yea verily! Sometimes it appears some seniors don't to pass to her.
Speaking of not passing, it concerns me that we have had numerous players post up hard and not receive the ball. Dorka, in particular.

Reaction Score
…….That we don’t see this again with 40 seconds left in a game that had long since been decided.

UConn Huskies guard Paige Bueckers holds knee vs Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Harry A. Gampel Pavilion

Reaction Score
Edwards has very little understanding of post defense. She'd foul out in less than a quarter.
If she is at a disadvantage on defense then she needs to punish Morrow on offense! Not sure she can but that would go a long way toward neutralizing that mismatch.

Reaction Score
…….That we don’t see this again with 40 seconds left in a game that had long since been decided.

UConn Huskies guard Paige Bueckers holds knee vs Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Harry A. Gampel Pavilion
Oh, give it a rest! It would have been better had this happened in the first quarter? Injuries are a part of the game. They can happen on the floor, in practice, on the way onto the gym floor and when leaving. I believe it was simply a time bomb waiting to happen and could have happened at anytime, anywhere, doing anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom