Whats Up with Angel????? | The Boneyard

Whats Up with Angel?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yet, Atlanta is beating Washington pretty handily right now. Hopefully, Ms McCaughtry is tending to some minor physical ailments.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some lefthander wearing #3 has 13 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals at halftime. Angel who? :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yet, Atlanta is beating Washington pretty handily right now. Hopefully, Ms McCaughtry is tending to some minor physical ailments.

Angel missed Atlanta's home game against Chicago on Wednesday as well. She was dressed in street clothes and sat in the stands as opposed to on the bench. Atlanta's coach says she's out for "personal reasons." No word when (if ?) she'll be back.

On the court Tiffany once again started in Angel's place and is playing terrific basketball. She's scoring (13 points at the half), rebounding, defending and dishing out assists. Meaders described Tiff as "pro ready" and she's showing it tonight even though the opponent is weak.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think there may be some personal problem she is dealing with - she warmed up for the last game and then left the arena and did not play. No idea what is up but it was not an injury.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
CardFan will not be happy when Tiffany edges out Nneka for ROY honors. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
CardFan will not be happy when Tiffany edges out Nneka for ROY honors. :)
All joking aside, i think Hayes, Ogwumike, Stricklen and Johnson are all playing really well. It makes picks like Cain by the Liberty that much more mystifying...

Reaction Score
All joking aside, i think Hayes, Ogwumike, Stricklen and Johnson are all playing really well. It makes picks like Cain by the Liberty that much more mystifying...

WNBA drafts very rarely have much depth, so it's not really mystifying at all. Ogwumike, Stricklen, Johnson (whichever one you're talking about) all went before Cain was picked. I've already let my thoughts be known on Hayes--it's completely ridiculous that she slipped into the second round, but I'm glad it's worked out for her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
16 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, and only 1 turnover. Sounds like a stat line from Angel. Or Maya.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
WNBA drafts very rarely have much depth, so it's not really mystifying at all. Ogwumike, Stricklen, Johnson (whichever one you're talking about) all went before Cain was picked. I've already let my thoughts be known on Hayes--it's completely ridiculous that she slipped into the second round, but I'm glad it's worked out for her.
It only makes sense if you are a Tennessee fan. She went ahead of players like Hayes, Williams, Novasel, Barrett, Kizer, Henry and Sykes. of the 25 rookies in the league, she is 22nd in terms of production. You can't seriously tell me that it was a good call for the Liberty to take her at #7 in the first round, can you? I'm not sure the Liberty have made a good decision over the past 3 years so maybe it's not a surprise at all...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It only makes sense if you are a Tennessee fan. She went ahead of players like Hayes, Williams, Novasel, Barrett, Kizer, Henry and Sykes. of the 25 rookies in the league, she is 22nd in terms of production. You can't seriously tell me that it was a good call for the Liberty to take her at #7 in the first round, can you? I'm not sure the Liberty have made a good decision over the past 3 years so maybe it's not a surprise at all...
I think it gets into that over emphasis on size that a lot of GMs and coaches have in both men's and women's basketball. Also big folks do tend to take longer to develop at every level, so it may be too early to call the selection a bust.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it gets into that over emphasis on size that a lot of GMs and coaches have in both men's and women's basketball. Also big folks do tend to take longer to develop at every level, so it may be too early to call the selection a bust.
Don't disagree, but the discussion was regarding players she was chosen over. TheTruthBelow said that the pick wasn't mystifying at all, and basically that it was a good decision. I disagree. She left Tennessee her senior year, was often injured, and did well in Europe, but against 2nd level competition. To take a chance on her not only in the first round, but at #7, was crazy.

Liberty fans went bonkers over the pick, and even the draft analysts all said things like "The first surprise of the draft, Cain quit at Tennessee, supposedly because of injuries, but after finding a cure in Europe, John Whisenant rolled the dice on the 6-5 post. Desperation arrived early."

Now maybe a few years down the road people will be saying what a bold pick it was, but as it stands, one of the worst decisions in recent drafts thus far...

Now grated, it's just my opinion, but one that is universally shared by Liberty fans, and the "experts" (who I agree often end up not knowing any more than you or I). Maybe we'll all be proven wrong. I've certainly been wrong before!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Now maybe a few years down the road people will be saying what a bold pick it was, but as it stands, one of the worst decisions in recent drafts thus far...

Now grated, it's just my opinion, but one that is universally shared by Liberty fans, and the "experts" (who I agree often end up not knowing any more than you or I). Maybe we'll all be proven wrong. I've certainly been wrong before!
I also do not disagree - I threw the second sentence in there as a sop, but basically I was agreeing with you, and just adding that some GMs get over excited by size rather than actual production, skill, and durability.

Reaction Score
1. I agree that it was very foolish that Tiff dropped to the 2nd round. In my opinion she was at worst the 7th best player in the draft behind the players that did go in the 1st 6 picks of the draft, but I could make an argument that she should have gone as high as #2 to Seattle. At least in the end she went to a great fit.

2. But I understand the reasons why teams passed on her. Teams get so focused on top end potential in the draft in terms of either size or scoring potential that I believe they focused on what Tiff couldn't do to the detriment of recognizing what she could do which is be a solid complimentary starter in the WNBA. NBA teams have millions of dollars at risk they still make exactly the same kind of mistakes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
1. I agree that it was very foolish that Tiff dropped to the 2nd round. In my opinion she was at worst the 7th best player in the draft behind the players that did go in the 1st 6 picks of the draft, but I could make an argument that she should have gone as high as #2 to Seattle. At least in the end she went to a great fit.

2. But I understand the reasons why teams passed on her. Teams get so focused on top end potential in the draft in terms of either size or scoring potential that I believe they focused on what Tiff couldn't do to the detriment of recognizing what she could do which is be a solid complimentary starter in the WNBA. NBA teams have millions of dollars at risk they still make exactly the same kind of mistakes.
I think what hurt Tiff most was a perceived lack of consistency in her college career - but that is not as big an issue in a complementary player on a pro team - she can go off as a scorer, she plays a good team game, and can bring it defensively. I do think their are a number of coaches out there that recognize the Uconn system as being a great training ground for pros - and I suspect Marynell is a recent covert after working with Geno and seeing Tiff up close.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Don't disagree, but the discussion was regarding players she was chosen over. TheTruthBelow said that the pick wasn't mystifying at all, and basically that it was a good decision. I disagree. She left Tennessee her senior year, was often injured, and did well in Europe, but against 2nd level competition. To take a chance on her not only in the first round, but at #7, was crazy.

Liberty fans went bonkers over the pick, and even the draft analysts all said things like "The first surprise of the draft, Cain quit at Tennessee, supposedly because of injuries, but after finding a cure in Europe, John Whisenant rolled the dice on the 6-5 post. Desperation arrived early."

Can you really say she "quit at Tennessee?" She graduated and fulfilled her commitment to the university. Maybe she just wanted to get in some pro play before her body gave out completely.

If she didn't want to return for a 5th year then who can blame her. She just exited with an excuse that she shouldn't have used. Maybe she found it too difficult to just say it was time to move on.

As far as her play, she truly has a lot of upside at 6-6. She needs some work but kind of reminds me of Kara Braxton. If she can get in better shape she can be effective

There are good guards out there every year. There are not many 6-6 players so you take them when they come along.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Can you really say she "quit at Tennessee?" She graduated and fulfilled her commitment to the university. Maybe she just wanted to get in some pro play before her body gave out completely.

If she didn't want to return for a 5th year then who can blame her. She just exited with an excuse that she shouldn't have used. Maybe she found it too difficult to just say it was time to move on.

As far as her play, she truly has a lot of upside at 6-6. She needs some work but kind of reminds me of Kara Braxton. If she can get in better shape she can be effective

There are good guards out there every year. There are not many 6-6 players so you take them when they come along.
I didn't say she quit at tennessee. it was a writer for the WNBA who was analyzing the draft. But yeah, she did quit at Tennessee. She said she quit because of injuries. And you are correct - at 6'6", you can't teach height. Time will tell if they can make anything out of her. But so far, she's one of the 4 worst rookies in the league as far as production goes. The fans hated the choice, the analysts universally thought it was a bad choice (if there were any who thought it was a good choice, I missed it), and I'm not sure anyone outside of Tennessee was happy about it (unless you are a fan of another team who got a good pick below 7th).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I didn't say she quit at tennessee. it was a writer for the WNBA who was analyzing the draft. But yeah, she did quit at Tennessee. She said she quit because of injuries. And you are correct - at 6'6", you can't teach height. Time will tell if they can make anything out of her. But so far, she's one of the 4 worst rookies in the league as far as production goes. The fans hated the choice, the analysts universally thought it was a bad choice (if there were any who thought it was a good choice, I missed it), and I'm not sure anyone outside of Tennessee was happy about it (unless you are a fan of another team who got a good pick below 7th).

Sorry, I didn't mean you, as in you. I saw that it was a quote from the writer. Sorry that it came across that way.

I was never that impressed with her at UT. She did have some dominant games but by and large a disappointing career.

Reaction Score

Hayes would have been a better choice, but she would be playing very little in New York. Barrett hasn't played in a single game, Kizer is out of the league right now as well, Nasty Nat and Sykes will likely join her next season, Williams would have zero use to New York, and Henry wasn't eligible to be drafted.

Reaction Score
TheTruthBelow said that the pick wasn't mystifying at all, and basically that it was a good decision.

You suggested the pick was mystifying on the basis that players selected ahead of her were performing well. How does that make any sense? And no, I wasn't implying Cain was a good choice. The point was New York wasn't going to find a game-changer, so Whisenant went with the player who he deemed had the most potential.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You suggested the pick was mystifying on the basis that players selected ahead of her were performing well. How does that make any sense? And no, I wasn't implying Cain was a good choice. The point was New York wasn't going to find a game-changer, so Whisenant went with the player who he deemed had the most potential.
out of the 25 or so rookies in the league, Cain's numbers thus far put her at #21. for the 7th player chosen to literally be one of the worst performers in the class indicates it was a poor choice. Additionally, the NY fans universally hated the choice, and the critics panned it. So I'm not really sure what you are defending. But keep trying.

Reaction Score
I just wanted to point out that your silly logic was silly. That's all.

For the record, Whisenant has said he didn't expect Cain to be a factor at all this season. He also traded Kalana Greene for a second-round pick, which he used on Sydney Colson. He doesn't mind passing on marginal talents for someone with potential, even if they're not as good at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom